How much value is privacy and anonymity, Jow Forums?

How much value is privacy and anonymity, Jow Forums?
What is it to you?

I just realized that I can't make friends with people online anymore because I don't want them to ever even be clued in as to who I am in real life.
And IRL I don't want to talk more than necessary with anyone, because I don't want them to find out about anything related to my online me.

Attached: here-is-how-you-can-develop-your-own-mind-palace-740x500-0-1509703537.gif (500x354, 999K)

Stop being a paranoid, privacy is something of the past, not privacy anymore my friend

Exactly, just stop resisting it, people really don’t even care about your business

no its not. I live a perfectly private life and it doesn’t prevent me from communicating with friends, owning things, or going places.

OPs attitude may be a little bit paranoid and overcharged, but that’s probably better than going through life, one hapless embarassment after another, saying things like, “Oh, that’s just how life is.”

I’m sure people who work for comapanies like Facebook ane Microsoft are hip to it and refrain from divulging personal things to randoms online.

>shilling for no reason at all
You think it’s not important but every millenial I know spills their entire beans on Facebook and therefore doesn’t have a single important secret, or really any semblance of private life. And people are anxious and killing themselves over petty shit like, “This guy called me a fat worthless fuck on Zuccbook. Time to blow my brains out.”

You’re making my point. If you anxiously shield your data or your life you will be crushed if someone does find out. If you decide that it doesn’t matter who sees what, you’ll be freed from any negative feeling or shame. You think a nudist has ever killed themselves cause someone saw a nude picture of them? No, because they’ve lost their anxiety of being vulnerable.

ok kid

OP here and
>you will be crushed if someone finds out
Yes. Because then they might find out about more things to ask me, things to """have in common""", or my fetishes.
>it doesn't matter who sees what
Sorry but this reminds me of my fat dyke coworker who constantly re-dyes her short shaved head "because fuck what everyone else thinks!!"; she's 34 and losing custody over her son to noone's surprise.

Arnold?! Is that you? Don’t you dare talk about my boy! I’ll see you at the coffee machine tomorrow.

one thing, though, OP. you can have private online discussions about anything in the world, easily, so long as you’re conscious of what information you're putting out there.

for instance, if your Google account is your full name, you’d have to be SUPER careful what you comment on videos. in fact, it would be best not to comment at all.

now, if your Google account has a fake name, and no personal information attached, youre free to say whatever you want so long as what youre not expressing is illegal. spill your heart out, troll, or whatever.

>How much value is privacy and anonymity
I value privacy, I don't want people watching me wank in front of my computer from outside.
Anonymity should be exclusive to online only, if you are going to say something IRL you should have the balls to put your name and face to it (save for things like anonymous tips).

If you're more concerned with your online persona than your real life then you need to unplug and talk to real people, you're fucking your own head up trying to make yourself appear to be something you're definitely not.

I treat the internet like the real life. I use my real name instead of a silly username since forever. I don't have any problems with people finding pictures of me or old embarassing posts of my teenage years (even though I barely have any social media). I also don't really care if people find out where I live. Imageboards are the only places where I'm anonymous. I'm a very genuine person.

It doesn't mean you need to be the same. You can still have nicknames and keep the real you a secret. However, if you are troubling yourself over that, be more genuine. Ask yourself why the fuck do you worry so much people are gonna discover you. Who cares if they do? What are they gonna do?

Don't misunderstand me though. There are things I keep private. I do have my sins that I want to forget -- but you shouldn't post this kind of thing anywhere and never tell anyone.
No one cares if you have weird fetishes too. You're an adult.

Glad you agree, child.

I'm right there with you, OP. I'm very paranoid about this as well. I hate how the internet has evolved and anonymity has disappeared. I try to use fake names, but it gets harder and harder. You literally need to attach a phone number to almost every major website now.

All this data is collected so the NSA, CIA, FBI can blackmail or bully you into doing things for them IF you ever have a governement job or are in a high position.

Yeah. Steam doesn't even allow you to use the market without confirming you telefon number.

Luckily I don't plan to change from my cozy job at least.

No. That’s too simplistic. Pervasive surveillance is necessary so the quantum computers can have a baseline entanglement point in the past (I.e., our present) so that it is possible to have prescience, not merely omniscience.

True and not true. I mean, the NSA can figure out who you are no problem, but average everyday people won't be able to. There is a big difference between someone who is very active on social media, posts pictures and uses their full name, and someone who never uses their legal name or posts pictures of themselves online. I mean, a lot can still be found out about you by even your email address, which is why you should have more than one address and never attach your name to it. You can't be completely anonymous, but you can make it a hassle for people trying to investigate you, if that makes sense.

Almost priceless in this day and age due to scarcity. The machinations of others is the cost for the utilization of any convenience on the WWW these days - either you provide information such as your location, your photos, your sms or private messaging; therefore, your (expressed) opinions and countenance of close associates - or you don't use almost everything in your phone, computer, and the internet in general. You provide by use so someone might as well utilize & profit on that information inter, as well; if not for you and now then in name of predicting this in the future with others.
To me the lack of privacy and anonymity in general make me worry for the extensive powers that negative manifestations of societies and business will have over their collections of people.

In in small scale sense, I covet things such as my location, address, political, and religious sentiments from people I legitimately know because information and opinions that people can use to justify or provide a means towards killing you is just not a good idea. Murder is the extreme of course, but that and lesser forms of harm and hate are not an uncommon occurrence.