Go 5mph over the speed limit and government seizes your car

On Wednesday, the Supreme Court heard arguments in a case of civil asset forfeiture.

Tyson Timbs was convicted of selling a small amount of drugs to an undercover police officer. He was sentenced to house arrest, and paid about $1,200 in fines.

But then police used civil asset forfeiture to take his $42,000 Land Rover which Timbs purchased with money from a life insurance policy after his father died. The money did not come from selling drugs, or any other illegal activity.

Timbs sued, and the case made its way to the Supreme Court, because every lower court in Indiana said the forfeiture was perfectly legit.

The case revolves around whether or not the seizure of the Land Rover was an excessive fine under the 8th amendment, and whether or not this protection against excessive fines applies to state governments.

And the public got some crazy insight into the government’s position.

The Indiana Solicitor General was arguing in favor of civil asset forfeiture when Justice Stephen Breyer asked him a hypothetical.

Breyer asked, if a state needs revenue, could it force someone to forfeit their Bugatti, Mercedes, or Ferrari for speeding? Even if they were going just 5 miles per hour over the speed limit?

And the utterly appalling answer from the Indiana Solicitor General was, yes.

zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-01/government-now-wants-seize-your-car-going-5mph-over-limit

Attached: assets-that-can-be-seized.png (500x264, 270K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Qjb2mKCD2iA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Indiana is a great state. Truly underrated.

Attached: pence nonsense.png (360x332, 142K)

Fuck asset forfeiture

I say fuck the police, that's how I treat em
We buy our way out of jail, but we can't buy freedom
We'll buy a lot of clothes when we don't really need em
Things we buy to cover up what's inside
Cause they make us hate ourself and love they wealth
That's why shortys hollering "where the ballas' at?"
Drug dealer buy Jordans, crackhead buy crack
And a (((white))) man get paid off of all of that

Attached: 1520771399744.png (1280x720, 1.28M)

Civil forfeiture has been going on for ages and just now you give a shit.

It only happens to thieves and drug dealers

Fuck police

Attached: 1533037772596.png (2048x1366, 2.69M)

>just now you give a shit
yeah now that it's in the supreme court dumb cunt

Not true.
If you have over a grand in cash on you they can take it with no proof.
It happened to a friend that buys and sells cars.

Not true at all.
They will just take things for fun and profit.

>turns the corner

Attached: monte_0.jpg (932x524, 101K)

>only applies to degenerate drug dealers with multiple arrests.
>Timbs is a nigger

In Tennessee you can have any vehicle seized if drugs are found, regardless of the quantity. So if a doctor lets his 16 year old son drive his CL600 and the kid gets pulled over with a joint, the car is getting towed and seized, and you only have 30 days to appeal it in court.

>implying niggers should be able to drive
fuck off mutt

civil asset forfeiture is some evil shit.

>In Tennessee you can have any vehicle seized if drugs are found, regardless of the quantity.
Based

>Follows you

Attached: PoliceVette.jpg (585x360, 64K)

>drug dealer
>dad dies
>buys friggin soccer mom SUV

This faggot deserves it. Fucking goyrovers are so expensive when shit starts breaking. Only a flamboyant shithead would buy one.

Attached: b02.png (600x600, 262K)

>The money did not come from selling drugs
suuure....

>be a nigger drug dealer
>get caught selling drugs
>it was just a small amount
>don't even do jail time, sue the government
You know it was hard drugs too because if it were something like marijuana they'd have mentioned that it was marijuana.

Fuck him, fuck his dead dad, and fuck his expensive piece of shit. If you're a bag of shit, you don't deserve nice things.

Are those real police vehicles?

Our police used to have these but the maintenance cost were too high and, ironically, a corrupt minister was bribed into buying Volvo's.

Attached: xxl (1).jpg (800x450, 44K)

Broward PD. Sheriff Israel.

>Indiana Solicitor Genera
And the Supreme Court fucks Indiana in the ass, again. Thank god.

>Tyson Timbs
kek

Attached: PD0rtVN.jpg (1936x2592, 628K)

As much as I hate to defend a drug dealer, Civil Forfeiture is one of the most bullshit things ever conceived and I can't support it in any situation.

There's no way it will stay they way, legal robbery is to much of a temptation.

epic collection desu

No, they did it as a promotion for the toys of tots program

>thieves and criminals don't like it when the government steals from them

booo hooo get fucked in prison.

Haha, all of my possessions have debt attached to it. Police BTFO

>use car in commission of committing a crime (SELLING DRUGS)
>have car seized

plebit, kike, fake

doesn't matter how he got the car, he used the car to do drug deals and that's why he lost it.

Molotov cocktails are very effective deterrents

>(((Broward county)))
>sherriff (((Scott Israel)))
No suprise here

>Civil Forfeiture is one of the most bullshit things ever conceived and I can't support it in any situation.

>run a ponzi scheme
>defraud people out of millions
>get caught, do a little bit of time in federal prison
>get out, enjoy your wealth because the government can't seize it

If asset forfeiture wasn't a thing, people would be pulling off heists and happily doing prison time because they know when they get out they'll be rich.

>a little bit of drugs
He was charged with two counts of felony drug dealing. That’s not a tablespoon of drugs.
I agree, fuck the cops. Fuck drug dealers that are selling poison just as much.

Broward county. Say no more. Most corrupt county in United States!

Sherif Isreal and curly hair cunt dual citzen kike are going to jail soon!!! Parkland, Fake unibomber dude set up with FBI stake out van, and then the fucked up voting and ballots found at school, at car at the airport.....! I can keep going!!!!

Attached: 0D13C053-9446-423E-9759-2B3CE8C4F6B9.png (1239x707, 247K)

>cop buys illegal drugs and doesn't get arrested
It's time to have a conversation about why Blue Privilege is a bad. And that's a good thing.

>dad dies
>leaves you with some money from life insurance
>buy car
>stay a drug dealer

Attached: ggreegwrrbroward22666.jpg (785x746, 195K)

Try to catch me nigger!

Attached: C2B3F7B7-3DFC-43C0-9969-6189F013CEBD.jpg (640x426, 87K)

Drug dealers should hang.
He should be happy to be alive.

Based leaf!

Attached: D5DF85E5-78E9-4B30-8150-20C16C9DEA76.jpg (600x403, 37K)

the whole argument is the government able to seize whatever they want even if its unrelated to the crime you fuckin dope

Attached: 1467972917525.jpg (1071x1200, 845K)

Yep it's disgusting and totally illegal but everyone knows the states coffers are totally empty and that's the only way for most police stations over the country to pay their officers and material.
It's basically racketting, but for the 'good' cause. You culd argue the way to hell is paved with good intentions and that's also true.
It's hard to take a position on the matter.

Attached: 1543053079572.jpg (991x672, 255K)

>sell drugs out of your car
>car gets seized
>shocked

>smuggle drugs with a boat
>boat gets seized
>shocked

You would still have to pay off the debt retard.

>problem:people doing a little bit of time
> solution: Increase punishments.

if you give the government a inch they will take a mile. I just have a hard time being ok with the government ability to seize property of people , especially with no due process. a hard line needs to be drawn because like the solicitor general proved the governemnt will take it to far.

Proceeds related to the crime, sure.
This is assets unrelated to the crime and should not be touched by the state.

Let's take an even more extreme example, should the government seize your house if you are found guilty for stealing a chocolate bar?

fitting flag

this. very rarely is it for anything other than drug dealers. fuck them

pretty much this

No it isn't you fuckin' jag. Them claiming to need an unlimited amount of my shit doesn't give them the right to steal my shit, badge or not.

based and forfeitpilled

What's wrong with drug dealers? So because the government bans a good, that makes the good, BAD?
Go fuck yourself, the government deals more fucking drugs than anyone. Gotta fund those nigger...er, black budgets.

Attached: 1404524549369.jpg (823x588, 120K)

It seems you have reading comprehension fren, i said it was disgusting, racketting, illegal and that they will end up in hell...

>solution: Increase punishments.
It can still be easily abused even if the perpetrator is sent to jail for life. If some guy wants to kill himself he could just pull off a heist and transfer assets from a big heist to family. Then, just off himself as he was going to do anyway. State wouldn't be able to touch it if you had your way.

Allowing assets to be kept from illicit activity is encouraging illicit activity.

burgers will clap for this

>we're only going to use this against the niggers of society but we reserve the right to make anyone a nigger at will
Yeah, nah cunt. If the government actually wanted drugs to stop being dealt they'd pull a Duterte and tell everyone it's open season on anyone selling dope. But they don't because they'd let the entire country drown in narcotics before they'd even think about letting a single finger slip on their hold of the monopoly of violence.

This

What happened to Jow Forums
I thought you hated black people
Police stealing black peoples shit is lolsworthy
Are you faggot actually defending blacks and drug dealers?

>Tyson Timbs was convicted of selling a small amount of drugs to an undercover police officer.

Probably ~90% of people would never be in this situation because they don't sell drugs.

>it mostly happens to bad people, so it's a good thing
This right here is why we cant have nice things in this country. Our police/criminal justice system is insane and hurts EVERYONE

Based ye

Huh, I don't own a car so idfc. Unfortunate.

Seems the kikes are using the police to attack the American populace to instigate some sort of rebellion(a mongrel one I'm sure.) And the high school losers in the police go along with it.

youtu.be/Qjb2mKCD2iA

Attached: Adrien x Chloe.jpg (1280x720, 128K)

Selling drugs is one of the last free market ventures left for men. We're not chicks so we can't sell our looks on Twitch.
There's no good manufacturing jobs left. A man has two choices. Sell contraband, or sell his soul to the service sector(dealing with all the SJWs therein) and pay taxes to feed Shenaynay's 6 "babies".

Attached: 1379309361416.png (512x697, 747K)

>activates smoke cloud

Attached: colorado.jpg (800x577, 34K)

But he didn't buy the car with drug money and they need prove otherwise he did it.
There are people who just started selling stolen shit out of a remote garage - and they still took nearly everything, even the man prove that he never did it from home and inherited the house. Thats just shit stuff.

This seems like standard procedure for low level drug dealers these days, they won't jail you for 1st or 2nd offences because it would waste to many resources, instead they just fine you, court fees, asset forfeiture, and then charge you a weekly fee to have the privilege of wearing an ankle bracelet. They're making more money than the dealers off this racket they're running
Happened to a buddy of mine just running a small little thing on the side slinging some bud and nothing else, to help pay bills alongside his minimum wage job and he ended up losing over 20k between the cops and the courts when everything was done

Haha have ever been there? Fuck Indiana. And fuck their cops too.

that's why there is criminal forfeiture which they could use, but civil forfeiture is so much easier.

fucking disgusting degenerates

Is civil forfeiture permanent? I thought as long as you were proven not guilty your shit was returned.

god bless police unions ! god bless secret courts !

destroying america 1 bullet at a time !

one person dies and a thousand go to the other side every time it happens

the rule of law and the end of days are here !

keep up the great work !

kick the united states out of the americas !

why does that donkey look chinese?

But the victims of the ponzi scheme can sue for the money back and be somewhat whole again. Who's the victim if someone sells drugs? Why does the government get to keep thousands of dollars or an expensive car for no reason?

>which Timbs purchased with money from a life insurance policy after his father died.
LOL, no.

So by that nigger logic should we go back to cutting the hands off thieves just like the barbarian apes do?

>inb4 a BSO crashes Lamborghini and kills white family of 5 while going 110+mph while having a blood alcohol level several times over the legal limit.

>inb4 BSO is found picking up some tranny off of US1 in Dania Beach while smoking crack rock he stole from some nigger.

Tesian?

Yep, something similar is (was,maybe change now?) in Australian law also.

True story
>Be young user, along time ago in a galaxy far far away
>Riding pushbike
>Pulled over by Cops
>Cops being cunts, so get searched etc
>user has 250zogbux in his wallet (next weeks rent)
>Cops seize money, saying they believe I acquired it via "unlawful means". Taken to Police Station in Oakleigh and charged with "Unlawful possession of money" and fined for not wearing helmet
>Have to get lawyer and go to Melbourne Magistrate's court to demonstrate by what means I saved that money (payslips, etc)
>Parent's spend a grand or so to get back the $250, because ragemode activated.

Cops also used to steal the money out of your wallet while "checking your ID" they'd float around the highschool on Austudy day, the day when kids all got their government gibs payment just for going to school.

>this is what bootlickers want

Attached: 1543637085631.gif (245x219, 887K)

Death to all hogs. Unironically i fucking hate cops. Downvote if you disagree.

Attached: 1543467606166.jpg (936x960, 146K)

>libertarians mad they get caught breaking the law

Good, all druggie degenerates deserve death

God I hate this country

Glad I am leaving

Attached: 1494210542632.png (1492x964, 1.51M)

as much as the world makes fun of american cars, nobody makes fun of corvettes

Corvettes are the only decent car we've made and even then it's worse than other's sports cars.

Y'all make fun of our cars? Why?

This shit has been happening for like 20 years.

are you retarded?

the point of OP's post is now it's been approved by the Supreme Court

are you?

Don't forget having your car seized and possibly crushed if you chirp the tires off a light for "exhibition of speed." As bad as the US is Australia is a thousand times worse.

>Timbs sued, and the case made its way to the Supreme Court, because every lower court in Indiana said the forfeiture was perfectly legit.
Wrong. Two lower state courts ruled against seizing the car. It was the Indiana Supreme Court that rules that the federal Supreme Court never incorporated the excessive fine clause to the states: meaning that states are not constitutionally bound to NOT give "excessive fines"

It's not tho is it? He lost the car for getting pulled over, suspected of dealing based on amount of drugs he was caught with, and had the car seized for use during the commission of committing a crime.

This isn't new in the slightest. Neither is you skimming over the article and giving us your impressions of what you think it says.

Please elaborate as to what point you think you are making.

Attached: 1496273198986.png (1800x1578, 199K)

>should the government seize your house if you are found guilty for stealing a chocolate bar?
If you ate the bar at home, yes.

The case hasn't been decided yet.

In any event, title your assets in another's name, like your parents or children.

Putting your assets in a business or other legal fiction might protect them.