Millenials using installment plans for jeans and t-shirts now

Cash-Strapped Millennials Are Turning to Installment Plans to Pay for T-Shirts and Jeans

>Finance apps Afterpay and Affirm approve applicants in seconds and say their algorithms minimize default risk.
>Installment plans have helped shoppers afford large purchases since the late 19th century and are still available for pricey items like cars and smartphones. But to delay payment for a T-shirt and a couple pairs of jeans, you needed a credit card. Now several fintech startups are putting smaller purchases on installment, too.
>Affirm and Afterpay say they’re targeting millennial shoppers by filling a gap between credit cards and store credit, which require lots of paperwork and a strong credit rating. Perhaps mindful of the new competition, established players such as Discover warn that these upstarts could run into trouble should the economy sour and defaults spike.
>Afterpay is betting American millennials will be just as keen on its service as their Australian counterparts. The company says 65 percent of the U.S. cohort don’t have a credit card, are 30 on average and are intrigued by using installments to pay for merchandise. Leslie Parrish, a senior analyst at researcher Aite Group, says the simplicity of installments is at the heart of the appeal. “You know precisely when you’ll pay off that loan,” she says. “That gives you more discipline.”

Attached: no money.jpg (500x282, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bj-CtgzW6AQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gCZgJMmn1wk
youtube.com/watch?v=KtB_o2FhQVo
youtube.com/watch?v=Q-wsSq_Pfcg
businessinsider.com/millennials-kill-industries-because-poor-fed-report-2018-11
fool.com/careers/2017/08/06/study-millennials-are-poor-and-work-obsessed.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Millennials are so fucked once they have sucked their boomer parents dry and can no longer live off of them. Dumbest generation ever.

This. My parents kicked me out for college and ended up racking up credit card debt because of their superficial idea of being able to attend college full time while working full time. Oh well.

Those apps have been around forever. They are for poor people who need a new washing machine or car repairs etc. and need to pay installments because they live paycheck to paycheck.

>My parents kicked me out
they kicked you out because you're a weebo that plays Fortnite instead of being an adult

Attached: 1541972973898.gif (652x562, 392K)

I used one of those things for a few Christmas presents one year when I was a poor college kid. Worked out pretty good, but it was really just a way to avoid carrying an interest-bearing balance on my credit card for a month or possibly two.

T-shirt and jeans though? Just go to the Marshall's or TJMaxx and buy things you can afford, dumbasses.

>a [obscure] startup is . . .
so annoying

its not hard to get a credit card or a store card

Don't fucking tell these animals any advice. These money slaves are needed to keep this shit running.
Imagine this
>redpill people about spending and consuming
>kikes come up with a better system to trap you
Good luck dodging the new slave matrix. Even close freinds wont listen sometimes, so don't waste your energy on enlighting the dumb ones.

Attached: b4f.jpg (600x451, 24K)

Literally fuck boomers and gen X. I don't feel guilty at all "sucking my parents dry" my dad taught me fuck all about being a man, my mom would look offended if i asked her to make me lunch for school when i was a kid.

Im staying till they fucking kick me out because its the only way i can save up for a house before they fucking sell the family home to finance their "golden years"

It's a multibillion dollar industry...

such hostility.

My dad is an old ass man (born in ww2) and he's so much more of a dad than my friends' dads

t. 30 year old

I'd never heard of it. Didnt expect people to buy into it. Damn, people are hurting out there.

what about girls? are you really ok with not getting laid?

is your life literally revolves around getting laid? pathetic

True story from this week
>get email from potential customer
>”yeah, uh, do you guys still have that one shirt that says (insert faggy liberal design here)? I saw it a while ago but couldn’t afford it, but I wanna get one now thanx”
>barely remember design
>look up product
>hasn’t been in stock since 2013
>reply back that they missed their chance by a half fucking decade
>sad reply of how they can only now afford it and hope I can somehow make a long-gone item magically reappear
Really, 5 years to save up $19.99. And then, when they’ve scraped together that cool $20, they want to blow it on virtue signaling garbage
Fuck this gay earth.

Attached: 053F7AB2-8CDF-4D0F-BE11-D2647501CAEE.jpg (480x687, 81K)

>WAAAH my parents haven’t given me enough in paying for my shit and keeping me alive for 20+ years, I will leech until I can’t anymore
You have become the Jew, good fucking work, faggot. Your parents raised you like a nigger.

Attached: CCC0B268-40ED-4465-BEFD-AFBE083B45B1.jpg (550x367, 30K)

What are you saying, you basically pay for sex? Or that you aren't creative enough to sneak off somewhere or whatever else?

>bro just ignore all your energy and virility and spend your 20s in your childhood room bro!
eh

okay, go have sex.. highly doubt you're getting any pussy with your high paying job

installment plans for starbucks coffee next

>you basically pay for sex?
everyone pays
>sneak off
a grown, legally and physically adult man "sneaking out"

good grief

AHAHAHA
yeah, just like I thought, it's either "pathetic degenerate" or "loser incel", huh?

Then pool in with your friends and rent/buy a house and then you can have all the parties and loud sex you want, Mr. grown, legally and physically adult man.

Go bang her at her house if that's all you care about.

haha thats the spirit

anyone who sets "getting laid" or "opposite sex" on pedestal the way you do is clearly a degenerate. you have long way to go before you're mature enough to understand that.

My last pair of pants cost me 75 freedombux.

ok u_u

>Millenials using installment plans for jeans and t-shirts now
Honestly buy cheaper shit then. My god so called Millennial want the latest things right away. Has no one ever taught them to budget there shit. Like I make sure Rent, Bills and Food are my main things to sort out first when I get paid. Once I'm stocked up I'm okay. But how the fuck have generations just plain forgot to budget their shit? Is it due to the youtube generation where younger kids think they will make it big and successful through streaming and don't have to worry about their own shit. Like what is going on.

My last pair cost me $25 or something like that. Bought it years ago. It's only recently shrunk in the wash enough to make me have to plan around getting some new ones at some point.

>implying the only thing you can do in your twenties is be a neet or slave to pussy

Not that I’m opposed to being self-sufficient and building a life for yourself, but both Millennials and Gen X earn less than Boomers and have a lower quality of life.

It’s the Boomers who neglected or even destroyed economic and social institutions which paved the way for their success, whether academia, the family, the labor union, all severely ravaged.

I was gonna say

doesnt the rest of the country have ROSS stores or something where there are cheap "last-season-but-people-dont-notice-or-care" clothing?

>live with parents
>get a job at 24
>still living with parents
>don't go out
>never had a gf to suck my pockets dry
>don't spend money on anything besides the essential (health care, commuting etc)
>have 6 t-shirts and a pair of jeans and a pair of snickers
>only wear casual clothing to work
>don't have a car
>save 90% of income
>already north of $100k in savings with just a couple years of wagecucking
>plans are to save as much as possible to retire soon by 30s and dedicate myself to investing/entrepreneuring

I don't know if it's just my anecdotal experience, but the millennials I know are broke because they blow all their money on weed and booze and then they complain about not having money.

btw i never really fell into temptation to go on spending binges. i keep seeing people my age barely saving anything at all and wasting everything on shit they don't need to impress people they don't like/care

fucking dumbasses NPCs are slaves to the jew and don't even know it

false

you mean first white collar job at 24? how the fuck did you save 100k, good job

If I were your parents I'd be charging you some rent and bills of some sort, or at least a pretty good labor equivalent.

thank boomers for that who didn't bother teaching their genx and millenial kids anything because they figured they won't live long enough to care due to MAD (mutually assured destruction)

it's not a white collar job, it's an office job and i make around 30k/year, but like i said i have zero expenses other than myself (health care, commuting etc), i have free food, free housing, free utilities etc... i know i know, manchild etc but whatever man at least i have a plan. also i'm extremely anal when it comes to expending.

none of them dress well in the first place and millennial fashion is literally shit

just go to target and buy everything in bulk

would you spend a grand to look like this

Attached: lmafdulyavtguida62xs[1].jpg (1200x651, 73K)

what about this
this is designer so its even more expensive

Attached: GettyImages-509643658.0.0[1].jpg (1200x675, 93K)

Is that a stealth Rabbi?

>this is what millennials spend their money on

Attached: orig[1].jpg (1000x1500, 268K)

>retire soon by 30s and dedicate myself to investing/entrepreneuring
This won't happen and you will of blown your supposed $100k in less than 5 years. Either by maintenance of your own place of stupid investment shit.

fuck, nice job

Im 23 in a few months with less than 5k, shoulda been tighter with money

Seems warranted. People who think their house is their retirement are incredibly short sighted. Growing up with that isn't great, and user is showing a good sense of fiscal reality

As a mid 20s guy that moved out 2 years ago, i have to say that shit is fucking expensive on the east coast, and far more "taxing" than i remember growing up. I've been working part/full time since 16, and have earned about the same amount per month after expenses every year. My budget for personal spending has been going shorter and shorter distances over the last 5 years especially, and it's surprising that my friends and family still constantly encourage me to buy literal garbage and eat out. I can afford to do what I'm doing because i have become really proficient with computers, cars, and the kitchen, but i kind of understand how normies buckle and end up with fuck tons of debt.

>would you spend a grand to look like this
If you need to spend a grand of clothing then you have some major self esteem and insecurity issues to start with.

There are plenty of things in life that loans and debt are useful for. This ain't one of them.

I got a couple of suits from Men's Warehouse on a two-for-one sale for $700 or so a while back. They don't look like fancy $3k Wall St. suits, but apparently the tailor knew her shit because they fit pretty damn good and still look sharp for an average dude.

seething virgin

i-it's the boomers fault w-we're poor!!!

Attached: ឵.jpg (1660x914, 156K)

But, they aren't Gucci,Uniqlo,Polo, etc! I have to get those because how am I supposed to get likes on Instagram??

>Good grief

Attached: Peanuts-peanuts-26798657-1024-768.jpg (1024x768, 52K)

>As a mid 20s guy that moved out 2 years ago
You won't get budgeting properly sorted until you reach your 5th year of living on your own. After 5 years you know what to sort out and what needs to be paid. And tell your family to fuck off if they are pressuring you to buy stupid shit and eat out. It's your money and your choice. It has nothing to do with a shitty family that puts family events before incomes.

>got a couple of suits from Men's Warehouse on a two-for-one sale for $700
I can think of better things to spend $700 bucks on that some shitty suits to look like a Leo Dicaprio reject from Wolf of Wall Street.

You can do this in Asia. Buying something for $100? Put it on installments and it will charge over however many months you want.
It's good if cash strapped, but paycheque to paycheque isn't the goal we want for our children.

>>t. boomer

not every parent hates their children and wants to make life hard for them

Yeah, but you're not you stupid boomer so stay in your lane.

You need suits at the very least for weddings, funerals, other formal occasions. Like most things in life, it doesn't have to be flashy unless you need that as part of your professional or social life. If they fit you right and don't look like it's something your mom bought you when you were 15 because "you'd grow into it" then you're not behind the pack.

It's currently about 80% to shelter, utilities,
vehicle upkeep, and insurance, 5% to food and essentials between, and 5% and 10% to personal spending or interest free debnts. The reminder goes into savings. I'm planning on getting out of the east coast. The cost of rent is abhorrent.

It's not making life hard. I don't think there's anything wrong with living at home for a while to get an early leg up on things. But once you're not a child anymore, it's reasonable to expect that everybody in the household is going to chip in one way or another.

Houses are money pits, and the to-do list never ends, even if you just count having to cook and clean the dishes and clean an extra bathroom or whatever else.

I could eat a pair of snickers about not

This is a vicious circle, if people don't buy products the industry collapses, if there's no industry there's no jobs.

It's like when boomers complain millennials don't eat out because they can't afford it. The only thing keeping the system going is people buying shit, as soon as they stop it all collapses.

Buying items on installment or by cash advance is one of the best ways to get poor and stay poor, shrinking the power of your dollar for electronics and designer jeans. I remember when they started doing installment at big box stores again back in 2009, it was lauded as a great way to let people suffering from the recession give their families a good (expensive) Christmas. Of course we've always had rent-to-own stores where you can pay 3X the value of whatever you want to buy, but more and more I see people who should know better going in for this shit, it's like the entire country forgot how interest and credit work.
>Affirm and Afterpay say they’re targeting millennial shoppers by filling a gap between credit cards and store credit, which require lots of paperwork and a strong credit rating
They don't require a lot of paperwork, and they only require a strong credit rating if you want a super high limit, which shouldn't be a problem for you if you're the type of person who needs to buy fucking jeans on installment because you shouldn't be spending that kind of money anyways.
>“You know precisely when you’ll pay off that loan,” she says. “That gives you more discipline.”
If these people had or wanted discipline they wouldn't be in this situation.

>fucking dumbasses NPC
yeah.. who wouldn't wanna live their parents well into adulthood and never get a girlfriend. Good thing you're woke and redpilled, brah.

lol

Let there be a correction. It's a near useless industry. Cut out the glut.

>t. hippie scum

$700 bucks for a suit for so called weddings, funerals and formal events doesn't mean shit. Unless you are the type of person that makes weddings, funerals and formal event s all about themselves.

>Uniqlo
cheap asian fast fashion? fucking boomers lmao
even polo is pretty cheap

obligatory watch:

youtube.com/watch?v=bj-CtgzW6AQ

youtube.com/watch?v=gCZgJMmn1wk

youtube.com/watch?v=KtB_o2FhQVo

Two for one, bud. Each one only cost $350 and I'm done growing. If I get fat there's room to visit a tailor and get it let out some more, which is like a tank of gas or so to pay for.

I don't wear a suit to work or to go to church in. So you have to look at it like a long-term investment.

watch this too

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-wsSq_Pfcg

i literally want to burn these ""people"" alive

They're cash strapped because they pay for trendy clothing with IOUs on their expensive phones. It's called buying cheap or making your own clothing

Damn, just shop sales. I picked up 10 button-ups and 2 pairs of chinos at Express today for $200, and that's basically it for my work clothes for the next year+

>So you have to look at it like a long-term investment.
>I don't wear a suit to work or to go to church in.
So you are the type of guy that makes everything about themselves okay got it. Thanks.

You should be investing already

i never really understood why all these off-white, yeezy, supreme shit cost so much and people slave away to buy them... it's a fucking mystery to me

Would you like some peanut butter with your jelly? Some occasions just call for suits, so it's worth having a decent one or two to grab. You think I'm out to impress people at a fuckin' funeral? No, but appropriate sense of how to dress for an occasion is something that adults recognize in each other. I'm not so poor I have to wear some conflicted heap I cobbled together from threadbare bits I pulled out of my grandfather's closet.

My computer cost I think something like $450. It's been humming along adequately for about a decade. I call that a good investment.

i dont think you know what age range a millennial is lol
can confirm this.
>Working a shitty 20k/yr job with sister as roommate.
>Currently working 40hrs a week at 12/hr (alternating between 30-40 annually... like i said, shitty job)
>living the college freshmen lifestyle
>glass of water, soda is a luxury
>ramen, mac 'n cheese, sandwich bread, mcdonalds if im feeling it
>drive a car thats paid for. Can make it 1 to 2 weeks on one tank with current job (could always change, my job requires travel)
>get milage with job, so once a month thats an extra 50% pay, at my hardest driving it was literaly a free paycheck and i'd get double pay once a month basically.
>bringing in around $1,600/month
>currently banking $1k+ a month
>current yearly savings as oh 12/1/18 = $11.1k.
I could go deeper into saving more money, but it does get dull and depressing. Gotta keep some petty cash on the side for some fun.

If it's not custom tailored, just get a mc suit. If you also can't afford 500$+ shoes that should last years of good wear, don't bother getting a tailored suit.
t. guy who talks to multi-generationally wealthy rich people (the only ones that might care)

Investing in what? The only good answer I have right now is cash/bonds. I'm really glad I'm not in a scenario where I've got to deal with a 401(k) plan right now. Age composition is going to fuck the stock market retirement indefinitely.

i got laid enough in college to cover me till im 30

>thats right goy go out and rent!

lmao i meant sneakers mate you cheeky cunt

Nah I'm fine. It's fun watching idiots burn money due to self esteem and insecurity issues. Keep burning your money. Not my problem.

>millenials are retarded with their money and spend themselves into oblivion, the thread.

Start investing now. Doesn't have to be much but just something to build your base upon. Mutual funds are a great place to park your money long term. I am literally a broke as fuck grad student with some savings but still manage to put away 20-30 dollars every few weeks into the market. You should also consider buying some other assets like gold or firearms. Things that retain their value well, the milsurp market will dry up soon so don't wait until a bottom tier rifle or pistol costs more than 300 dollars.

Tailoring costs less than a tank of gas and makes it look like you didn't just yank whatever off the rack. I'm not trying to impress anybody with my shoes. $80 Discount Shoe Warehouse jobs on sale and it matches well enough for my Chinese Men's Warehouse suit and general disposition.

Why are millennials so judgmental when it comes to clothing? Sometimes I'll go a year without buying clothes, I have so many. I still fit clothes from when I was 14. And of course from gifts

Seems like a stupid way to waste money but so many people need to show of their style with a different designer or label everyday, like they can't wear something twice

i wear my dads hand me downs but i also work at home 49/50 days

Once you're 18 you're no longer a child, wherever you live would cost you money. My Nana died in 1985 aged 66 and my 2 uncles paid rent from their jobs living at her house once they were 18

>t. 38 year old GenX

businessinsider.com/millennials-kill-industries-because-poor-fed-report-2018-11
fool.com/careers/2017/08/06/study-millennials-are-poor-and-work-obsessed.aspx
Why, yes. Yes it is.

sure but for a fucking pair of shoes or a pant?
so lets say 100 dollarino
whats next
grocery shopping
the faggots are so ultimately fucked when interests spike

Attached: LaughingGrimReaper.gif (360x270, 1.63M)

>You need suits at the very least for weddings, funerals, other formal occasions.

just fucking rent them bro. are you crashing weddings and funerals on a weekly-basis or somethin'?

You're worse than a nigger if you are 18 or over with a job and still think you should live at home for free

>1,600
Where the fucks the taxes and social security?

You can eat better. 30$, some baking skills, a crock pot, cheap chicken thighs, and some basic cooking veggies and essentials go a long way with minimal time investment. The spices can cost a bit upfront but you can spread the cost over about half a year. Keep the fat that renders from the chicken to use like butter (Jews call this schmaltz, be weary of the low burning temp and stickiness) and the gelatin from the bones and a little bit of the fat for stock.

1985 eh? I bet they had a hard time coming up with that 55 bucks rent at the end of the month

Most Millennial have a Rappers perspective when it comes to clothes. They spend over 500 bucks on it. Then leave it in the back of the wardrobe.

Why rent? If I get a phone call that Aunt Gladys kicked it and I need to probably take off next Monday so I can help some other things while I'm there, I don't want to tack having to go rent some shit on top of that.

I'm all set for probably decades now, and two suits means I can leave one at my parents' house and then that's one more layer of versatility.

its literally the only way to get ahead in life at this point

>My computer cost I think something like $450. It's been humming along adequately for about a decade. I call that a good investment.
Same, my dell has been rolling 10+ now, all I've done is put a larger power source, upgrade RAM and add a video card. Tweaked some bios and disabled anything I didn't need, permanently unparked all four cores, removed the page file so it wouldn't lag switching from RAM

Still plays games like Fallout 4 on high settings with great frame rate

When I feel bored or depressed I buy things to perk myself up, it's a bad habit I am in the process of fixing but I've never bought anything on credit, ever.