Landlord trying to kick me out

>Landlord comes to my door the other night(new landlord I got about a month ago)

>starts bitching to my neighbor and I how were using too much power on our side.

>shows up the bill, our side says 500 and the other side shows 200-250

>tells me if I keep using so much they're gonna have to charge me more.

>Wasn't really sure what to say so I just said ok
>the landlord and his family stand there awkwardly as I stand there to, waiting for both of us to do something

>I just start unplugging shit.

To make matters worse he even hinted/said I don't need to use so much hot water either. In the 5 years iv'e lived here and in the 10 years my upstairs neighbor has lived there and not once did we get a complaint about our usage.

Are they just allowed to do that? I live in B.C Canada by the way. I'm a little worried because I have health issues and if I had to move it would be a lot of hassle not to mention money.

Does anyone know the rules? I was reading that they can only raise the rent by 4% a year. What he could do is split the utility bill between my neighbor and I but then by law they'd have to lower the rent to.

I'm just kinda concerned as I wasn't really sure what to do. What should I do if he comes bitching again? the utilities are included in my rent..

P.S: When I first moved in he flat out tried to ask for another 50 bucks from me and my neighbour, just like that. He's also a fucking Korean so i'm not surprised.

Attached: ^04F1E4B55C2108EA7290391AEA3174103F1EC38F51539A7CCE^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg (1080x540, 139K)

>Korean
Slumlords
Get out. They usually have a practiced excuse for the law. Since he's a fucking gook he's probably got a connection he uses to keep the slum business up.

Forget it and move, hassle I know, but you either deal with a hassle or an asshole
Choose and be done with it

I like my neighbours and where I live isn't the best but if I moved i'd get worse people to live around. I'd be only able to afford some shithole in nigville and probably get robbed.

Landlords suck but I just need advice and need to know my rights.

didn't have any complaints and now they're complaining about me using too much heat and power...not like I have a growop here.

It was weird. I sat on the bed shirtless while the landlords dad passive aggressively threatened me with having to move out or raise the rent. They can raise the rent but with my health and stuff I just don't wanna deal with anyone.

The actual landlord himself is nice but he's sort of that "fake" nice. It's his kids the ones who can actually speak good English are the dicks lol

The actual landlord himself is nice but he's sort of that "fake" nice. It's his kids the ones who can actually speak good english are the dicks lol(edited)
I guess he can't kick me out if I refuse to pay the huge amount he wanted to. Just always nervous and living alone it always feels like I have to fight everyone else.
Guess I can say ok you can raise the rent but my utilities are included and by law you guys can only raise the rent 4 percent a year. I guess they could try and split the utility bill between my neighbor and I but by law they'd have to lower the rent to. idk if I should call them and explain this or just wait until they come again.

You'll want to look local for rights, for all I know your shit's built on native land. It's better to get that stuff from the source.

I told you man
It's an asshole or a hassle, pick which you deal with and be done

Yeah my friend sent me this. I think if he wants to raise the price he'd have to get it in writing first. I called the tenancy board and talked about it to but..

If anyone else lives in my province please speak up. Like if he comes to my door and is like "you have to pay 300 dollars for power because you used too much" can I say "No it can only be raised 4 percent per year so you can only raise the rent 4 percent a year)

"Maximum Allowable Rent Increase

The landlord may only increase the rent 12 months after the date that the existing rent was established with the existing tenant(s) or 12 months after the date of the last legal rent increase, even if there is a new landlord or a new tenant by way of an assignment."

Does this mean that even if iv'e been living here a long time they can't raise the price until I lived here with the new landlord owning it?

I was a landlord in BC, and a few things about your situation seemed kinda fucked right off the bat.
First off, you have the right to demand some power reciepts, because unless you're growing weed or cryptomining, you're not using that much power. Call his bluff. Slum lords will do with to loser stoner tenants to get a few hundred out of them per month before kicking them out. He likely isn't even putting how much he quoted you on his books. It's a tactis called "turpe esse judæum".
Secondly, he's not going to raise the rent. While the 4% is reasonably easy to get around, he's most likely not going to raise the rent unless there is some genuine increase in the cost of living or land value. Just like you said, he tried to gypp you right then and there.
But worst comes to worse, and he sees that you're styling on him or something, he's gonna try to evict you. This isn't going to happen unless he's got a tenant lined up willing to pay is outragous premiums for shit rentals, which isn't too likely in the BC. But if he does evict you, put your balls on the table, and politely, yet firmly ask if he's going to suck on them. If he doesn't lower your rent then and there, you're going to have to shit in the dry wall, pack up your horse, and cut your losses. Sucks but it happens sometimes.
If you're still unsure, I can give you a tarot reading.
Your three card spread says that you're going to get your rent lowered by what seems to be the result of shitting in your zipperhead landlord's mailbox.

Attached: Screenshot (203).png (414x253, 150K)

Just offer to pay the power bill?

This is actually a good idea. Like I said before, OP needs to put his balls on the table. Metaphorically, he can do that by offering to pay the power bill. The gook landlord isn't going to do that, because that would require hi to provide some documentation of the increased power usage. His anus will tighten, and he'll get round eyed at the very proposition. He won't expect it. It will be the like the Korean wall all over again, except this time he won't be able to abandon his friends and family for a life in Canada again to avoid the consquences that follow. He'll weep when he realizes he'll have to try harder to swindle OP out of his hard earned money. Very clever!

He had two bills. One said 500 on our end and 200-250 for their end I forgot exactly what.

I don't have an oven here so I use my toaster oven and I figured maybe that was it? but still like I said my old landlord never complained about our power consumption.

I don't grow weed or cryptomine. I do have my desktop PC on 24/7 but when i'm not using it it's usually in sleep mode. I have a lot of game consoles hooked in but they're usually in standby and other than having lights on during the day I don't get what's going on regarding that big bill.

My neighbour upstairs does laundry. I don't because I can't afford it.

sorry what do you mean by "he isn't even putting how much he quoted you on his books"

And how is him getting around only charging me %4 easy? I did hear though that he could make me split the utility bill with the neighbour but I heard by law he'd have to lower the rent according to what was used. So say I used $50 in power then the rent would have to be lowered by that. Do you know if that's true?

>he's not going raise the rent unless the land value or cost of living goes up.

Well with the minimum wage increase and more money going to welfare/disability I know that the cost of living is going up next year but that's all I know.

>he sees you're styling on him.

Sorry, elaborate.

As for the power usage, he can make estimates in a few ways. The one on his books are likely to be less fradulant. It doesn't sound like you use much power considering you don't have a laundry unit. Beyond any semanitics, you can always nickel and dime that kinda stuff.
As for the 4% rent limit, your landlord can inflate your annuities in a variety of ways, and at the end of the day, the law is an arbitary guideline for rental finances. This is a civil matter. The authorities doen't give two shits if you're being gypped. You'll have to take him to court if you want provincial law to help you.
What you're going to have to do is style. As I said before, you're most likely, and I know this from experience, you're going to have to place your balls menacingly on the table. This will show your landlord that you mean business, as well as any roommates who may be trying to give you short end of the stick.
And as for wages, they're sticky. They aren't going to have too much effect on the overall your local consumer price index, so the purchasing power parity should stay relatively the same.

Attached: ff3c6878c99af9f704d9917c2b29b084--comic-book.jpg (631x473, 42K)

Does your lease provide for a method for notice/ are you required to talk to the guy?

>500$ power bill
Nigga I can barely break 200 if I have ALL OF MY ELECTRIC HEATERS ON IN THE HOUSE 80% of the time for the whole month in addition to everything else.
I don't know what your rates are, but this sounds like bullshit. Ask for an actual bill if he ever actually comes after you again.

notice for what?

he can increase it only so much per year though. How could he get around it?

Unless you're renting out a farm 500 is bullshit. I think he is trying to scam you. Don't be afraid. If he asks you to pay extra in cash or another form refuse. If he raises rent extremely file a complaint and move. I'm pretty sure its a shakedown and he will never raise the rent.

I don't know how much electricity costs in BC, but stop gimping yourself by using retarded methods to work out power consumption. I'm having flashbacks of a housemate who just thought everything was "TOO MUCH!" because he was incapable of rational thought.

How much shit is plugged in? What is the kilowatt rating of all this shit? How many hours a day is it turned on for? This is how many kilowatt hours (the usual unit electricity is billed in) you can estimate.

Then this quickly turns from "is my korean landlord trying to rip me off and do I have to face a fight against an irrational man while disabled and how do I legally make him stop making illegal demands upon me while threatening eviction oh my I'll be homeless!" into "oh yeah he is probably right lol" or "oh shit he is totally wrong, good luck proving this one when I ask to actually see the bill".

Classic the moar you know you fucking canuck disabled brainlet.

Steal neighbors power...

This, measure the power used by your devices and check how much it costs you
In my country 7kWh costs less than 1$
I guess that in Canada prices are higher, but still, even if 1kWh costs 0,5$ you are not physicaly able to use 1MWh alone per month
I highly doubt you alone would be able to use that much in half of year
And if prices are similar to polish, then you'd get 3,5MWh
God, that's a fucking lot of power

Do you have a lease? it lays out the parameters of your contract with the landlord and he cannot legally change anything (like charging more for utilities) until you get a new lease.

Meanwhile, look around. Do you really have to have everything running at the same time?

Legal or not, you don't wan lt a landlord looking for reasons to get rid of you. Begin searching for a new place today.

I have a bunch of game consoles hooked in but they're usually on standby mode because i'm not using them. I have a big power strip with like 15 plugs in it. Not all are being used though.

Then I have my desktop PC which is always on unless it's in standby mode.

idk but they did ask me how long I planned to stay and I said another year I guess or more.

He showed me the bill. But I guess I can see it again. He showed two. I also use a toaster oven because I don't have an oven here.

I don't know why I'm teaching you how to adult.

COUNT UP THE WATTS OF YOUR DEVICES AND THEN MULTIPLY THEM BY THE NUMBER OF HOURS THEY ARE TURNED ON TO ESTIMATE YOUR KWH USAGE. MULTIPLY THIS BY THE UNIT PRICE FOR POWER IN YOUR COUNTRY. USE THIS TO WORK OUT IF YOUR LANDLORD IS DISHONEST.

Like I've a 800W PC which cannot physically use more than that which is on for about 8 hours a day for a total of 6.3kWh. I've about 40 lightbulbs most of which are 5W LED for a total of 200W multiplied by 5 hours for a total of 1kWh. I've three fridges and two freezers pulling a combined total of 1,500W which cycle every few minutes depending on ambient temperature, but I'm just going to say they run 20% of the time for 7.2kWh even though that is an overestimate and I only use one freezer most of the time. I've a tropical fish tank with filters, pumps, lights and heater which pulls a total of 45W over 24 hours with 300W heating intermittently (typically no more than 1 minute in 15) and 90W of lighting for a 9 hour photo period for a total of 2.4kWh per day which is another big overestimate. I'm not bothering with the gas boiler, the oven, the kettle, the toaster, the coffee grinder and so on because they are incidental and extremely minor, most of them getting used for minutes a few times a week.

This gives me a total of 9.5kWh per day which is a gross overestimate because my PC only pulls full voltage when it is gaming balls to the wall which is no more than a few hours a week, the rest of the time it pulls way less, like a quarter of that and I've been generous with everything else. Electricity is 10.34p per unit meaning I expect to pay 98p per day for electricity or £30.59 per month. If anybody tried to tell me I was using a lot more than that I'd be looking carefully at the details.

Checking my recent bills I use an average of 6.2kWh per day. I'm off, not by an insignificant amount either, but in my favour.

Again I don't know why I give a shit.

500 a what? Month? Quarter? Year? If it is a month and you pay what I pay for power that is 178.57kWh per day which is 7.44kWh every hour of every day. This is a very large amount of electricity and I would be sceptical as I don't even use that over the whole day with a 3 bedroom house. Furthermore I'd be pulling over 31amps continuously when every single plug in my house runs from a 30amp breaker on a radial circuit. It would be physically impractical. Heat dissipation would be a problem as I'd be running the equivalent of a few electrical heaters constantly.

If this is per quarter this is still 9.5x more than I use with a three bedroom house filled with stupid shit. This is 5.48x as much as the average Canadian from pic related. If this is yearly this is very low. 8.58x less than the average Nigerian.

I am pretty sure you run on 120v mains supply as well meaning you'd be rocking twice the amps as me. I wouldn't want to put 62amps through an extension lead. You'd need a 25mm solid core cable to take the current.

I mean, fuck it google tells me ..

>Canadians enjoy a relatively breezy national average of 11.85 cents/kWh.

So $500 is 4219.4kWh. This is 11.56kWh per day. This is a lot of power. Is it split over several units?

Fuck dude, use your brains. You've access to the internet.

Attached: household1.gif (530x410, 21K)

it's all one unit but yeah they said our side was using too much but it seems impossible as I already listed what my neighbour and I do. i'm home a lot more though due to having a physical disability as for my neighbour i'm not sure but he's older so i'd imagine he's home a lot.

I don't think I use that much. I have most of my stuff on standy outside of my desktop PC which is on a lot. it's 600 watts.

500 for this month "supposedly" he showed me the bills. And even asked if there was an electrical panel somewhere.

Now, I know burgerdollars and mapledollars are two different things but that doesn't sound right at all.

I'm in the US, but my power bill for a fairly large house with 3 bedrooms is just shy of $200 most months and we have two computers on 24/7. Of course, how your place is heated/cooled, insulation, and all that factors in but your bill should not be that high. Energy costs across the border aren't that different.

Typed all this and it turns out already beat me to it. And yeah, you didn't clarify the timeframe.

The insulation is pretty bad, my old landlord had to cut holes in the wall and let me borrow his portable heater because the pipes kept freezing. the holes are still there.

I can't remember what it's called but we live in a duplex I think? two people upstairs and then two people in the basement suite below, so basically 4 "houses" combined into one big building. The landlord came to my door accusing me and my neighbour of using too much power and showed us the bill.

I get charged a flat 50$ a month just for"sanitation and trash" in Los Angeles. Half of my ladwp bill costs is from those extra flat rate charge. My actual energy usage is only half the bill. Frankly it's extra fucked because I have a small portion of the amount of waste my neighbors throw away, yet get charged the same rate.