How do I know what to major in and do as a career? I don't want to be stuck in a dead-end job all of my life...

How do I know what to major in and do as a career? I don't want to be stuck in a dead-end job all of my life. I don't know what I want to do.

Attached: 1525075679777.jpg (793x786, 52K)

Major in Queer Studies, I think you'll be good at it.

Then get a job, save up some money and get yourself re-oriented

Also consider tech school and become a tradie

Dont fall for the college meme.

Professor writing here.

If you're in the USA, most of the first two years of college are taken up by required courses, so you don't have to decide the rest of your life immediately. Use the period to try out various departments to see what you like (and are good at).

Meanwhile, two further observations:

1. You are NOT your major. Except for some technical fields, employers are less interested in your major than in your personality. An ambitious go-getter Philosophy (or English or History or....) major will get a job in almost any field sooner than a brain-dead major in that field.

2. Ignore the propaganda for STEM unless you really like some aspect of it. STEM fields have been overloaded for a decade now, and there's a glut of graduates searching a shrinking number of jobs

Is that what you are majoring in?

explain how its a meme?

You could learn React (component frontend) or Docker/AWS/GKE (DevOps) along with express/flask (JS/python) in a boot camp or on your own.

Once you're proficient in 12FA, you're worth a lot more than a grad student working full time at Starbucks.

Unless you have an extensive portfolio proving that "you're worth a lot more than a grad student working full time at Starbucks," you're not.

A degree in something that you could learn yourself is evidence that you know what you're doing. You jump through hoops to get your degree, and the piece of paper proves you know enough to have jumped through hoops. It's also evidence that you can follow instructions, manage time and have a work ethic. "Don't go to college because you can learn it online" is terrible advice.

I couldn't respond until now because I sleep in the day due to my job being night shift.

I have a job right now. It sucks. I was thinking maybe I'd be here a year or something, but God, I want to get out now and this is only my 4th week. I'm only here for the health insurance but I realized unlike my plan, best case scenario is that I'm here for a year to use it. Without luck, it could be one and a half to two years.

>Also consider tech school and become a tradie

One of my father's cousins was trying to get me to join his ironworker's union before I got this job. I don't want to do labor jobs since I've been doing that kind of thing with my father since I was 11. This one's also labor but joining a union is more of a commitment while I was just looking for a stepping stone.

>Except for some technical fields

That's the thing I don't know where I want to go. So I don't know if I want to do something that doesn't require specialized education or something that does. The most I can say is I think I might like a career where I help people. But what kind of help and is that something I would actually want to do as a career? I was thinking maybe doctor since I keep reading about medical stuff on Wikipedia because of interest me, but I'm not type A enough to go through medical school. I never learned proper studying habits because most school work was easy. And now that I've been out of school number of years that issue might be compounded.

>2. Ignore the propaganda for STEM unless you really like some aspect of it. STEM fields have been overloaded for a decade now, and there's a glut of graduates searching a shrinking number of jobs

When I went to college in 2015, I was a computer engineering major because I figured since all I did with my youth besides reading or watching anime was spend time in front of a computer, I may as well get to know them better. But I wasn't clear on the differences between computer engineering, computer science, and some other computer major they had. In the second semester I started wondering if there were more people going into these majors than there were jobs for them, and because of dropping grades despite making the dean's list the prior semester, I dropped out.

In the end, I don't think I'd be interested in non-stop problem solving. So programming doesn't sound right for me.

Bump.

Go into CS or nursing as they both will guarantee good pay (CS more so). Love Art? Too bad, don't major in it. Instead get a good paying job and support your hobbies that way. Yes, money does buy happiness.

it's not a meme. the only people who say that either got lucky or were too stupid for college so like crabs in a bucket, they want to bring you down.

a bachelor's degree, no matter what it's in (as long as it's not art or women's studies) guarantees a middle class lifestyle and opens far more doors than a trade for something very specific.

Consult with a psychologist

>An ambitious go-getter Philosophy (or English or History or....) major will get a job in almost any field sooner than a brain-dead major in that field.
Just read the whole thread, this is what I was kind of saying with my post here:Most employers will look to see if you have a degree at all before they consider your experience, references, etc.

>money buys happiness

No it doesn't. It just allows you to choose your own form of misery.

>No it doesn't
It insures security which allows you to pursue other avenues of happiness without having to worry about starving.
So yes, money does buy happiness.

go to community college in a computer networking program or the equivalent

I was thinking about nursing and then I stopped because my knees started hurting and I thought it might be permanent. But I saw an orthopedist 2 weeks ago and he told me I just have bursitis or tendonitis so maybe I could consider it again. I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in computer science.

It's nice to have the assurance that I'm right to think about getting a bachelor's degree.

I took an aptitude test or two, I think two personality tests, and three drawing tests back in 2016. Allegedly, I'm brilliant but she couldn't give me an actual IQ score because she said she doesn't "carry around all those conversion sheets." The test told me what I would be good at but that doesn't actually help me with what I might want to do.

>Most employers will look to see if you have a degree at all before they consider your experience, references, etc.

That's how it is at my current employer. Either you have a bachelor's degree or you can pretty much eat shit as far as they're concerned. There are exceptions for positions they are pretty much required by law to have but you need specialized experience for them.

You mean Cisco certifications or something like that? I've heard about that for years. Even so I haven't looked into it much.

Should I major in Economics or Psycholgy or double major in both ? I am better at psych than I am at Economics but economics seems a bit more lucrative.

I wish I could answer that for you but I do not know.

I graduated from college with a degree that landed me a job in healthcare that pays okay, I did it only because my parents made me do it.

If I could go back and do it over again I'm not sure what I'd do.

Attached: 0T89LKK.png (991x672, 206K)

Unless you’re getting a degree in a field that you have a specific job lined up, its a waste and you’ll end up working at a hotel or starbucks like the rest of the people that went to college just to go to college.

>1. You are NOT your major. Except for some technical fields, employers are less interested in your major than in your personality. An ambitious go-getter Philosophy (or English or History or....) major will get a job in almost any field sooner than a brain-dead major in that field.
>2. Ignore the propaganda for STEM unless you really like some aspect of it. STEM fields have been overloaded for a decade now, and there's a glut of graduates searching a shrinking number of jobs

Just ignore the humanities professor here. Yeah, you need a personality, but you don't need the kind of personality you're going to get it any of the fields he mentioned.

Go STEM if you can handle it, but DO NOT NEGLECT COMMUNICATION skills as part of your education. Best way to do this is to get a job working with people while you are doing STEM. I worked managing apts while I got my engineering degree. I used to bitch all the time about my manager job and it irked me no end that I had to "waste" time at it.

When I got out it turned out the skills I leanred managing a bunch of knuckleheads and dealing with tenants were 10 X as valuable as any technical stuff Still, the technical degree got me the job in a field that pay decent money.

All jobs are dead end to the overwhelming majority of people.

Don't get a career you like, get one that you are good at, is easy to you, and pays well.

>Economics or Psycholgy

Psychology is bullshit in the job market. Stick with econ or even better switch to accounting.

>a bachelor's degree, no matter what it's in (as long as it's not art or women's studies) guarantees a middle class lifestyle and opens far more doors than a trade for something very specific.

Only a clueless boomer could have written that. Degrees "guarantee" you nothing except that your resume doesn't get instantly thrown in the trash.

Employers aren't stupid. They know that a psychology or anthrology degree means you fucked around and got drunk for four years

They also know an engineering, computer science, or natural science degree means you worked your ass off and are kind of smart.

Who would you rather have working for you? The smart hard working guy, or the "well rounded" liberal arts guy who just finished fucking off for 4 years?

>No it doesn't. It just allows you to choose your own form of misery.

What many smart people do not understand is that if you are smart your intelligence cuts across different disciplines. This is demonstrated in numerous experimeents document the existence of "g", the general ability to learn.

This means if you are smart you can learn to do things you have not done before and THINK you are "not good at". Of course you're not good at things you haven't tried.

You can learn math, comp sci, etc if you put your mind to it, and if you learn them and get good at them, suddenly you will find them enjoyable.

You're better off studying something that is hard that you know is end demand. You will find that as you master it you come to enjoy it, and you will avoid true misery, which is wasting your time and money on a worthless degree that doesn't help you get a job.

>Degrees "guarantee" you nothing except that your resume doesn't get instantly thrown in the trash.
so that's not worth anything to you?
As far as the eng, comp sci, thing, no fucking shit you moron, that's what the user who I linked to said.
Reddit spacing to boot. off yourself.

Pick something and make sure it's not totally useless. The sites that show career description aren't very helpful. What you should do is look at the people who are doing the kind of thing you would like to do.

So for accounting/banking/electronics you can look at the forums for those things. For theatre you can probably find their social media groups. For random research things (like wanting to study aquatic life) you can find the pages of professors who do that. To find out what path you need to take to get there you can ask about the requirements, they will probably just tell you the next step so keep asking until you know the whole A to B. Don't do anything useless in the sense that there's nobody who wants to pay for it eg. don't try to sell crappy knitting work.