I have been diagnosed with mayor depression yesterday, what do?

I have been diagnosed with mayor depression yesterday, what do?

Attached: 1521904847565.jpg (553x936, 168K)

Let me know if you find out, been looking for an answer for 20 years.

The only person who can solve your depression is you and if you knew how you'd have done it already.

Welcome to the ride, it never ends.

Try to improve your life and your health as best as you can, one step at a time. Getting enough sleep, exercise, sunlight, socialization, emotional support, financial stability, healthy food, and personal fulfillment can all improve your mood and help to minimize depression.

You can also consider medication, which you could use temporarily to help yourself out of a rut, or permanently if you really need it. Don't let people shame you out of getting a treatment that is vital to your health and happiness.

>Try to improve your life and your health as best as you can, one step at a time. Getting enough sleep, exercise, sunlight, socialization, emotional support, financial stability, healthy food, and personal fulfillment can all improve your mood and help to minimize depression.
but how!?

>medication
Doc has prescribed some serotonin reuptake inhibitors...

therapy is supposed to start in 2 months

How will I make it until then!?

Start one step at a time. You've survived up until this point, nothing has changed except that you have a name for what's going on.

Take some deep breaths. You're okay. Everything is fine, and it's going to get better.

Then take a look at that list. Each of those is something you can work on. Try putting them in a list, from the one that you struggle with the most, to the one you struggle with the least. Then order them from the easiest to the hardest to change. Look at both of those, and then pick one that is easy to change but would still make a big difference.

Research up on that topic. Figure out your goal (such as "sleep for 8 hours a night"). Break it down into small steps, things you can do every day. Do that for two weeks to a month. it's okay if you mess up and slip off, just get right back to doing it again. Once you've done it reliably for two weeks to a month, look at the next thing on the list.

Chip through each of those things one at a time, one step at a time, one day at a time. Build up habits gradually, instead of trying to do everything at once. It's going to be fine.

Also, remember to talk to your doctor about the medication. if the side effects are unbearable, or you feel worse, or if you feel like it's not working at all after two months (most meds take time to start working because of how they work with your body), then talk to the doctor and try to get it changed. People talk about the bad side effects of medications a lot, and they can definitely be bad, but that's when you get the med or the dosage changed. The right medication will raise your baseline without really nasty penalties.

>but how?
>literally how to do so in the same post

Add learning reading comprehension to the list of things to improve your life.

have a drink and watch the world burn. or what they made of it.. could have been so different. find comfort in knowing that the things making you depressed are one day going to die, wther you are aware of them or it's a thing we accept as normal in our society that subconsciously does not agree with the way your human brain is wired

fly free my black winged butterfly until the bat eats you and then make it sick by tickling it's innards with your velvet wings you glorious fucker

Diagnosed with depression, how did they diagnose you im curious how it works? Would they just guess on behaviour features and language choice or something?

>medication
What no no no no don't fuck with your serotonin as biologicam beings we should be able to maintain mitosis don't let the scale or normality of society define you tell me whats particularity depressing you user, or give me a vague description to help?.

>homoeostasis
Gahaha i wrote mitosis lol

I was diagnosed with major depression after I attempted suicide. Therapy didn't help. medicine definitely didn't help. The only thing that helped was deep self reflection. I recognized that I was the problem. I found out what the underlying issues were and I worked really hard to fix them. we are habitual creatures and your mood is a habit as well. If you're sad all the time you will just make a habit of being sad. the only way to fix that is to change you're mindset. easier said than done, but it's the only way.

I'm glad you recovered and have improved your life, for real.

However, your circumstances are not anothers'. While I don't doubt that you had depression and struggled, it seems like your depression was more situational than clinical.

As something that could be "fixed", this implies that there were factors that were actually causing the depression. And thereby, once those factors were no longer an issue, the depression went away.

But there are people out there who have chemical imbalances that cause depression. A low level of serotonin or even a complete inability to produce it (I know people like this). The chemical imbalance leads to a physical inability to be happy that persist no matter the life situation. They could have a wonderful, successful, comfortable life doing things they love, and the depression would still be there. This kind of depression can improve with life changes but cannot be cured and needs medication for effective treatment.

Unless you had your serotonin levels tested, then you were diagnosed by your behavior. This is normal, but depressive behavior is depressive behavior, and people who have situational depression will be treated the same way as those with clinical. You can't see how much of an effect life changes will and won't have, or how necessary medication is, from the outside.

Allegedly you sleep well, eat well and take your meds regularly... and have something to keep you busy.

Not that I’ve done any of that, lol.

How does one get their serotonin levels tested?

Is that a natural test to ask for.

I would guess kill yourself eventually. Until then, distract yourself.

not to be rude, but chemical imbalances are bullshit, I've been hospitalized and been around a lot of people with depression, it's all the same shit. anyone can get better if they work hard enough towards it

You can request a blood test. I wouldn't say it's common, but it's also not that unusual. You can also get a generalized blood test as well to check for other things that could be contributing to the issue.

>mayor depression
I didn't know being a mayor was so stressful. Hang in there, user.

The correlation between low serotonin and depression and suicidality isn't strong enough for serotonin metabolites to be diagnostically useful. In fact, there isn't a single biological marker that is diagnostically useful for depression. That in itself is evidence that depression isn't a real illness and that the overwhelming majority of people who have depression have normal serotonin levels.

It’s absolutely not bullshit.

I lived in an apartment with toxic mold growing. I had a mental breakdown and wanted to kill myself. Had to go on medication and everything, due to the mold alone causing psychosis. Chemical imbalances are real.

He's not saying chemical imbalances aren't real, he's saying they aren't the root cause, the imbalance comes from somewhere, you need to fix the thing causing your chemical imbalance.