Anyone travel solo?

Anyone travel solo?

I don't have any friends but I want to go travel.
Is a solo adventure worth it?

Attached: XlrNw4F.jpg (500x311, 13K)

Very much so. Lots of time for introspection. Be careful tho.

I would literally die out of boredom if i did that. No companion, no travel...

Attached: sad cat.jpg (1600x1233, 755K)

I haven't been back to my country in 3 years. It's pretty easy to have a good time if you stay at hostels and are open to doing whatever with strangers. The most expensive part are the flight tickets.

It depends on you. I think you'll meet people in many types of places.

I always fly somewhere alone (usually jungle) and meet a person I know from there.

GO FOR IT. Can't recommend it enough. If you travel with someone else you'll have to worry about what they want to do. Just stay in a hostel or use couch surfers if you wanna meet people. Where are you thinking of going

I love it. If you wanna make new friends and have people to do stuff with while you're there, I'd recommend staying in a sociable hostel. Plenty of safe, clean and nice ones out there

Aren't you afraid of people stealing your shit in hostels?

I want to make friends and do things with people but I also want a private room.

I've been in 2 hostels. Both in South America. People leave your shit alone. That being said I didn't really give them any visual insentives.
Had a blast both times too. I highly recommend.

Travelled alone with a tour group once. Easy to make friends as everyone's got the same interests

Sure. Go.

There is an international brother-and-sisterhood of young travelers, and chatting with anyone under 30 from any country comes naturally. So does joining up with someone who's going to your next destination for as long as your paths coincide. (And rapid hooking up with a traveler of the opposite gender is not unheard of)

Basic common sense. Don't leave valuables lying around

There are lockers for you to put your valuables in. I wouldn't go to a hostel that didn't have them.

It's only a little easier to make friends in a shared room, lots of hostels have common areas where you can get chatting with people and put on events (pub crawls, walking tours, trips to comedy nights etc) where you can meet people. Not all are like that though, hence recommending a social hostel

I've just booked my first solo holiday, 2 weeks in a non-english speaking country. I absolutely cannot wait, it is going to be absolutely awesome not having to ask for anyone's opinion on what we should do, where we should go, what we should eat. It's all me, I can do what I want when I want and it's going to be fucking amazing.

Of course flying solo is worth it, why is that even a question.

What non english speaking country?

I'm just not sure if it's better to have a structured plan or to wing what you do in a place.

It's an absolute must. You haven't really got to know yourself until you travel alone, a big scary trip alone. I went to the third world for 10 days and learned a lot about myself.

How the hell do you pay for this? I mean, are you just living as a homeless person?

How about travelling to Japan alone? Don't speak the language, have no friends but Japan I wish to be in.

I personally love solo travel, but you've gotta have the right attitude for it. Being introspective and able to enjoy yourself alone is helpful, though not necessary; someone who can make friends anywhere he goes is also a good candidate for solo travel.

The key is safety and the ability to handle shit going wrong without needing help. It'll happen that you miss your bus or forget your phone or get lost at some point. You've gotta be able to handle those things without panicking and without feeling like your whole trip is ruined. That, for me, is the key to solo travel: Being able to handle mishaps, or even to enjoy the random encounters that take place when you have a mishap.

My share of the rent+util is $50/mo. My food bill is $50/mo. I have a website that makes $300/mo passive.

Pic related: free pool usage.

Attached: IMG_20180331_151703.jpg (3072x1728, 857K)

Where do you live.

And what kind of website.

>$300/mo passive.
Talk.

When people say backpacking through etc.

Do they really only travel with a backpack? Or is that just a term used for traveling on a budget.

I can't imagine fitting everything in just one backpack. At the very least a small rolling suitcase.

Tell me more about this

Which countries would one recommend for a beginner Westerner? I was thinking a 1st world country that is English-friendly (Germany or Netherlands).

Minor tip from /trv/: have two wallets. One with all your plastic, papers, IDs and large denominations hidden in an inside pocket or something and one with a single card, small denominations and change you will use when buying stuff day to day. Depending on where you go it might be also useful to have a burner nokia phone in your backpack(fully charged and turned off) and photocopies of your ID and visa.

Still /trv/fag: go east europe. Hungary, Czech republic, Croatia, Slovenia etc. You will get amazing value for your money, most youngfags know english and just as safe if not safer than most western cities. You could easily spend a month in east europe for a price of a week in Berlin or something like that

I've done it and yes you put literally everything into a backpack tho it is larger than a school backpack. I had 4 shirts, 2 jeans and a couple pairs of underwear and socks with 2 pairs of shoes for 2 months as I traveled from Portugal to the UK to the Czech Republic.

Do you just continue to wear dirty clothes or do you eventually do laundry?

You do laundry like any sane person. I found a lady in Czech who would wash dry and fold my clothes for like 5$

Laundromats

Malaysia. Affiliate website.

I have done it in the past, if you have the time and money, it is good.

Last summer I took a 10 hour road trip to Salem, Oregon to see that eclipse. As much as I wished someone came with me, it was nice being alone. I plan on going to Portland sometime this summer if I've got the money for it

this is a recurring topic on /trv/, you have better chances to find meaningful replies over there

if you're not the type who can make friends/get into conversations with strangers along the way, I wouldn't recommend it unless it's a shorter trip (like up to 4-5 days); for short trips it can be very relaxing, or at least I like the alone time; however, for longer trips to very different countries, I wouldn't do it (again; I tried it once, in China, 2 weeks)
people saying they love solo travel are fairly social and can find people to hang out with while traveling, which I can imagine is fun, but I don't take that to be solo travel; I mean the only solo part is sitting by yourself on the plane

>You could easily spend a month in east europe for a price of a week in Berlin or something like that
I'm from eastern europe and I've been to berlin 3 times over the last ~4 years, it is definitely not the case anymore that eastern europe is so incredibly cheaper, at least in a city; food and drinks in most restaurants aren't that far off, I guess you save up on hostels and public transport, to a degree
it is cheaper, but I'd say it's more like 20% cheaper
compared to amsterdam for example it is WAY cheaper tho

depends on your gender.

Fuck that pay for me I'll go with you

From my own experience, if you have an avoidant personality do not travel alone.

the travel meme is unironically my 'accidental suicide' backup plan

I washed my stuff in the sink each night and laid it out to dry. Wear the other stuff next day. Only need 2 outfits that way.

Your home country. In US, just take a trip via train, bus, hostels, etc. It’s a way to start and sort of get your rhythm without language/culture stress.

It’s also useful to have a cheap wallet full of newspaper clippings and useless gift cards. If mugged, throw it and run.

Get your shots, drink filtered/bottled water, eat a bismuth tablet every 6 hours, careful what you eat/drink, keep copies of ID, careful about drinking/drugs/sex.