To anyone that has or knows someone with schizophrenia, or even just have knowledge on the mental disorder...

To anyone that has or knows someone with schizophrenia, or even just have knowledge on the mental disorder, People with schizophrenia are aware they have the disorder,So when they are seeing/hearing things Are they able to tell themselves thats its not real and they're just having an episode or do the hallucinations seem that real to where they cant tell the difference ? i was just curios

Attached: suicide.jpg (350x263, 11K)

For them it's more real than reality. Depending on the hallucination you could ignore it and learn to live with it.

My brother could. But it got to him and he killed himself after a while.

He said he could always see the devil on every room staring at him and grinning in the corner.

He could ignore it.
He felt safer around family and friends though

the natural response to a hallucination is to believe it, we usually believe what our senses tell us.

many schizophrenics are capable, though, of differentiating between real and hallucinatory experiences.

it’s not easy, though. psychotic people often have trouble differentiating between real past events and events they simply dreamed or imagined.

more:

some imaginary and hallucinatory experiences are easier to spot than others.

a very absurd one, like imagining speaking to Sonic the Hedgehog, is easy to detect as unreal.

a mundane hallucination, such hearing your name being called by someone in your house (when in fact your name wasn’t called) can be very difficult to identify.

even more:

schizophrenia patients have some similar genes and brain structural patterns, but there is no test to prove schizophrenia. as such, schizophrenia is a diagnosis that exists based on behavioral criteria listed in the DSM.

in the dsm schizophrenia is described as being severely psychotic with several positive symptoms (hallucinations, delusions, and so on) for a period of six months.

some people are considered ‘schizoid’ even though they have no hallucinations. schizoid traits are thought to be on a spectrum, much like autistic traits are on a spectrum. here’s that spectrum.

Schizotypal Personality
Schizophreniform, Psychotic Disorder
Schizoaffective, Psychotic Mood Disorder
Schizophrenia, very severe psychotic disorder

If you want to know what being schizoid is like, Google “positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia”.

but remember, not all psychotic people are schizophrenic. disorders like drug abuse and PTSD can cause psychotic symptoms.

My brother has had his girlfriend living with us for the past week.
I have seen and heard her around the house, but I haven't seen my brother (we work opposite shifts), he never told me she was coming, and I've never met her before.
My hallicinations are so vivid that I assumed she wasn't real for an entire week. Never spoke to her.

final
Most Schizophrenic people enter a state of full psychosis upon having a *nervous breakdown*.

Both schizophrenic and non schizophrenic people can have nervous breakdowns. Nervous breakdowns are destructive and gradually deteriorate mental health in a way that is, to some extent, irreversible.

The prognosis for each patient decreases in optimism as more and more nervous breakdowns accumulate. Untreated breakdowns are often the most damaging, and generally last the longest.

So, if youre in a state of panic, sleeplessness, or full psychosis, seek help as soon as possible. Specialty clinics for first-time psychosis interventions exist in many regions.

What if he actually saw the devil, and all you guys thought he was crazy?

The most common hallucination is the auditive one.

Where you hear voices inside your head.

Schizophrenics can function normally and lead normal lives when treated tho.

It's just your brain mal-functioning and seeing or hearing things that are not there, but they become your reality because for you they're real.

okay, one more thing:

one very positive take on schizophrenic people is that they are naturally creative types who have suffered a nervous breakdown.

anyone having a breakdown can enter an altered state of mind, but schizophrenics are so imaginative that their minds can create convincing fictional worlds and sensory experiences.

All schizophrenic people can return to a point of functioning that doesnt require medication. The question is whether or not they have the
-knowledge
-motivation
-social support
-financial means
and
-SKILLED proffesional help
to do so

successful drug treatment of a psychotic episode usually involves a medication increase lasting seven to nine months. patients on lifelong doses of antipsychotics are being poorly treated, probably because the doctors know that the patients just arent getting the social and financic support necessary to make a full recovery.

It’s hard for me to answer your question, since I don’t believe in the Devil.

If a friend told me he saw Mike Tyson, for example, I’d at least be open to it. I do believe Mike Tyson exists.

haha, I was joking man.

But sometimes I wonder if the things I hear inside my head are real. Quite often actually.

I tend to hear hallucinations in white noise, and they usually correspond with what is going on (coin sounds if I’m thinking about videogames, heart monitor sounds if I’m thinking about death...).

I don't think you would believe this if you knew any seriously schizophrenic people.

A guy I know was brain damaged in a motorcycle accident. He believes his family members are robots wearing the skin of his actual family. That's WITH medication, caring family, and strong financial support.

He's brilliant mathematically and surprisingly cognizant of the world around him. But he is, without any doubt, crazy. There's something WRONG there due to the physical trauma he experienced. Your "imaginative creative sensory experience" bullshit is just that, bullshit.

You’re talking about brain trauma, which is different.

I was listing views popular among psychiatrists, without specifically endorsing any of them.

If you want my personal view, it’s that we don’t really know how the brain works, and that our idea of schizophrenia as a specific disease is meaningless.

Its not a matter of feeling safe for me, but family and friends make me comfortable.

Nope and thats what makes is really serious real quick. They actually believe there are people under the bed, that the sun is gone forever, and start putting everything in the sink and doing weird shit like weapping objects randomly in string.

Its not like the flu where you and everyone around you knows you are sick.

I just question if its real or not. If it seems too unlikely to happen i just think i imagined it.

How can someone find the drive for motivation again?

This happens to me a lot, I don’t let it catch me. I’m very in control of my conscience, which lets me tame and kill any idea of mental illness that’s pops in.

I have schitzoaffective disorder. Some times when I see shadow people I can tell they are fake. For a while before I started my meds I couldn't as easily. it is hard to not believe what you senses are telling you. For instance I believe a demon is haunting me in my sleep. I'm pretty sure it's real but at the same time I know I have this disorder. But at the same time I am experiencing these sensations and feelings. So I assume it is real and placed Bible's at strategic places aroud my bed to protect me. since then no demons.
So the question is was I actually being haunted or was.this all my imagination.
I honestly don't know. All I know is that those Bible's haven't been moved and won't be moved from.where I put them.
Feel free to ask me anything.

Im pretty sure Im schizophrenic but my condition isnt as bad as a typical diagnosis. Almost a mandatory symptom ofnthe illness is that schizophrenics are in almost complete denial of their condition. Obviously intelligent schizophrenics are more likely to be more self aware.

This is completely untrue. Schizophrenics have exceptionally chaotic brain activity which is partially the cause of their psychosis. Such activity is easily recognized by an mri.