Medication

I am on antidepressants and have been sticking on them for well over a month now. I am starting to feel some improvement so does that mean i can stop taking them?

Attached: 1.jpg (900x900, 101K)

Schedule an appt with your primary and ask them. Generally, there's a reason why they want you to finish the dosage.

No. Antidepressants aren't something where you stop taking them when you start to feel better. That's literally one of the most common mistakes people make with meds, is quitting when they start feeling better. Then they just go straight back to how they were before.

No. That's not how it works. Depression is a disease, you have it forever, you take these pills forever.

Like the previous user said, if your doctor wanted you to finish that bottle, and you finished it, call him. He'll probably tweak the dosage

How do I block namefags thx

"I've been on insulin for over a month now and feel a lot better. Does this mean I can stop taking it?"

Dude, if you were prescribed antidepressants, chances are you need them. You are feeling better because of them.

Some people can get off antidepressants eventually. But thus is usually after they have been on medication for a while and have made significant changes to improve their life. And some people need to stay on antidepressants their entire life.

If you have a medication that helps with serotonin, then chances are you are finally returning to the serotonin levels you are supposed to be at. This means the medication is doing its job. But if you cut it off now, after only a month, it won't be able to help anymore, and chances are your depression will come back just the same as before.

yeah but how will I ever be able to have Kids, have a gf if Im on medication

Think about what you're doing with your life and ask yourself, "would I want me as a parent", if you say yes then you're fine

Well I wouldn't want to be a parent at the moment because I don't have a job. I am 25 and still at college wanting to go to UNI next year but I do worry in the future a girl won't want me because Im on medication

If the medication works there's no issue

How will you ever have kids or a gf if you are depressed?
More people are self focused so they will care more about the results than the process when it comes to mental health.
They arent going to be happier with someone depressed than with someone who is taking meds.

i don't want to be on them forever though thats the thing. I am having anger management classes and taking the medication every day. how long do people usually stay on them for

Forever, I know your doctor told you this but it seems like you didn't want to listen

He's clearly underage, still using that name and using an image like an avatar. His last thread had the exact same image and name and was seriously "Does anyone recognize me here?"

I DON'T WANT TO BE ON THEM FOREVER. My Doctor didn't tell me that at all. And Im not underage. I have been banned from alot of forums because of my Mental health but I am trying to improve

I know, that's why I asked how to filter
I've been here for 5 years and I've never used it

What do you mean, How do you know?

>Settings
>Edit under Filters & Hiding
>Tick the ON box
>Enter the pattern (name in this case)
>Set the type to ID in this case
>Tick the Hide box
>Save
>Save Settings

Its usually only permanent if its a chemical imbalance.
They usually figure that out based on the medication you are on and multiple sessions to talk about fluctuations in your mood.

You don't understand something so simple as how this medicine works and complain about it like we can change that, you can't type, you're generally pretty fucking stupid and you can't even grasp how to quote people and are not trying to learn. Even if by chance you're not underage, you need to fuck off and lurk for a long time before posting.

Yeah Im on citalopram

Don't call me stupid.

That still doesnt say anything. They would need to switch your medication and see how it effects you. You have to take a full bottle to give a baseline of each drug and then they will be able to tell if its truly a chemical balance.

It's also usually permanent. Doctors hand out pills like candy but they wouldn't just prescribe anti-depressants to someone who's a bit sad

The only to way find out fr is for OP to talk to his damn doctor about it

What the fuck does this even mean

do you think no married couple takes pills in the morning? how fucking old are you

You're posting here using a username from elsewhere, using an image that's obviously your avatar from wherever you're from and you couldn't spend 5 minutes looking at other people to see that's a stupid thing to do. Your first post on here was asking people if they recognized you based on these things. Retard, people are being good to you right now. They could've taken this information, found your accounts elsewhere and harassed you there.

1. I have been banned from so many forums
2. I don't have a job
3. My stepbrother can Drive ( I can't)
4. My Stepbrother has a girlfriend (I Don't)

IM NOT STUPID

Yep. My doc prescribed me that when I was diagnosed with MDD. Also Buspar. That was, 8 years ago.

I take Bupropion now.

Welcome to the club, kid.

what? so what?
maybe, but you're definitely acting stupid right now.

also ffs drop the name. the point of the site is that everyone is user. you're new obviously. you have no idea how lucky you are making your first post in Jow Forums.

Fucking mobile, amirite?

Mods come on this is ridiculous

and do you have a gf, kids

I see you've forgotten how we handle namefags here, what does that say about the lot of you?

Attached: 1447285677357.jpg (316x516, 35K)

Why are you being like this to me. All I am doing is asking for advice. that is not a crime

Maybe this is not the right site for me like I thought it was going to be. Thanks to the people who have given me good advice but Im going to talk to my Doctor about it when I next see him

Go away

we're on Jow Forums, our nice hats are on.
It's because you're new. And underage. Don't worry, we all were once. But you lucked out posting on Jow Forums, if you would've gone to literally any other board they would've absolutely destroyed you

count your blessing kid

I am not Underage I am 25

OP, my husband takes an antidepressant and a mood stabilizer. He has a chemical imbalance in his brain that makes him have depression no matter how good his life is. He'll be on medication for the rest of his life.

I am not only okay with this, I am happy with it, because he is happier with the meds. He was literally unable to be happy because of this chemical imbalance. And now, with medication, he is living life how he should.

He needs that medication, because it didn't matter how good his life was or how happy he should have been. He said himself that his life was perfect and everything he wanted. But it didn't make a difference; he was unhappy and suicidal because of this depression.

And now, with medication, his brain is functioning as it should be. What kind of asshole would I be if I told him he was better off without it? What kind of asshole tries to convince someone to not rely on a medication that they need to function properly? I am happy that he is happy. I want him to take this medication because it improves his quality of life.

SamtheFootball is a cringey autistic Plebbit 4everalone who I learned about yesterday, when he asked if we knew who he was. He believes people working minimum wage service jobs "deserve to be spat on."

We should ignore him until he goes back to Plebbit. He doesn't appear to be very bright, and I'm pretty sure if he stays here long enough he'll either slip into Jow Forums and become a psychotic incel, or to Jow Forums and become another retarded white supremacist.

Sorry Buddy, but I don't think this website is right for you.

Renita?

>starting to feel some improvement
No you fool, that's when you need to stay on them most of all.

The antidepressants are not themselves a cure. They enable you to engage in your activities of daily living, socialize, and function in society. The purpose is to keep it going so you build up a track record of successes and good habits that will carry you through the weaning-off period.

Oh and you need to wean off the drugs; you don't quit most of them cold turkey.

I got a gf when I was on Cymbalta. Big fucking deal.
>do worry in the future a girl won't want me because Im on medication
Why would you tell a woman you barely know that you're taking psychotropic drugs? I told my gf about a week after she told me how she felt about me, and she was fine with it.

Also, the girls who do freak out about you having had a psych disorder are going to freak out whether you're currently taking them or not. To them, once you took them, you're tainted. Thankfully, the overwhelming majority of women aren't this stupid.

Is there reliable research about long term effects of these drugs? I'm so afraid of early death or some terrible side effects if I take these fucking things the rest of my life.

I've never heard of that happening with antidepressants. Not being able to have sex is pretty bad, but you would know if you had that side effect.

The goal is to be on them until you get through your bad period, which is a lot longer than one month. The fact you are even thinking of going off them on some whim is crazy.

>how long is the bad period
Things can get better after a month of treatment, but episodes typically take a few months to get out of. Some people have fucked lives and will need to take the antidepressants until they fix their lives.

Worst case scenario your personality is making you depressed and you'll need therapy? I don't know you. Glad you're feeling better, though.

I'm not OP, I just had terrible experiences with them in the past. Went through a carousel of different drugs. Eventually a high dosage (over the maximum recommended amount) almost killed me and spiked my blood pressure and I ended up in the mental ward again. Then I tried these other drugs through my primary care but they made me even more depressed and suicidal. So I quit everything cold turkey. But now 3 years later I feel like my life is still a mess and might try them again.

yeah. a big portion of psychiatrists are delusional jokes

>early death
The only way you're gonna die early from taking modern antidepressants is if you kill yourself.

If we were talking about MAOIs, that'd be different, but nobody prescribes them anymore except, perhaps, to people who have been taking them for decades and it would be too risky to transition them to something else.

I met a guy once who had catatonic depression and gambling addiction. he said MAOIs were the thing that helped him. (not sure if his self-assessment is accurate)

I guess he had an old timey sort of depression so he needed an old timey sort of drug?

Currently on citalopram, went out a couple nights ago and did lots of bad shit, thing is I don't remember leaving the first bar we were at. Drank as much as I normally do. Anyone else experienced something like this?

Mental illness is not real. Just an unbalanced mindset. Meds make it worse. They are supposed to help repair you body by itself not replace basic body functions. Insulin is to replace a broke part and I believe your mind cannot be broken because otherwise you would be utterly insane

Well I am feeling pretty good about myself. I have just been out for a nice long walk. Fresh air is so nice