Mental Health Advice

Firstly, I'm not a doctor. Secondly, I've been working in the mental health field for 15 years as a crisis counselor, case manager for the county and program manager for a foster care agency providing supports for 40+ patients. If you have any questions concerning any aspect of mental health in life or relationships I'd be glad to give you my professional opinion.

Attached: lexus.jpg (375x203, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G-Ufk1BSabI
youtu.be/OHWK0Wn0Ebs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Can I tell my psychologists I've been planning on buying a good quality knife to take with me to an appointment to stab them without them breaking confidentiality. It's kind of a direct threat even though I've felt this way from before my first appointment. I just don't have a good knife.

>Can I tell my psychologists I've been planning on buying a good quality knife to take with me to an appointment to stab them without them breaking confidentiality. It's kind of a direct threat even though I've felt this way from before my first appointment. I just don't have a good knife.

Oh, you sound like loads of fun

What do you mean "planning" on buying a knife? What's there to plan? Just buy the knife you imbecile.

my mom has been medicated carbegoline/dostinex due to hormonal imbalance, it is supposed to dissolve a tumour in the pituitary gland, or so i was told.
is it normal that she grows more paranoid and passive aggressive over time? and how the fuck do i deal with her bullshit (she thinks i am stealing stuff in home, which isnt true). also has a clear fear of being labeled as crazy.

I find it difficult to find a good knife. I don't have much money, so the ones I like are usually outside my budget. I'm very anal about these things.

I hate to break it to you but I don't think your psychologist is going to show up to your next appointment.

To me it's just confusing. They are nice people that want to help and I like them. While I'm in a session though I sometimes wish I could stab them. It's self-defense.

I can't give you any kind of medical advice because like I said I am not a doctor but in my experience hormonal imbalances do cause a lot of erratic behavior. The best way to ensure that these paranoid and aggressive behaviors aren't symptoms of another underlying disorder is to bring this information to her medical team with or without her knowledge. Does she have any history of psychiatric disorders or is this well established behavior that has worsened since she started the medication?

On the very off chance that you're not trolling I recommend you tell them everything.

I don't want to be put in facility, user. I don't know if I want to risk that. I got a psychologist for my past criminal behavior.

How do I go about finding a competent white therapist to implement cognitive behavioral therapy? I'm kind of a "special" case in that my depression and anxiety festered for years without treatment and took over my life completely. I could really use some additional help but I really don't like or trust people anymore.

its fine, i just wanted to give context. she doesnt have a psychiatric history, but if it counts, she used to threaten suicide when things didnt go her way, in the first years of marriage; bite me until there were marks on my skin while claiming it was a form of affection, and denying she ever hit me when i was a child (but her sisters called her out on her lie), always trying to guess what is in someone else's mind (this habit is seen in most of her side of the family though), generally aggressive but nothing as big as it is now. her mom died when she was 2 y/o.

people around her have been reporting a change of her behaviour, my dad pointed out she is abnormally obssessing over other peoples lives, a noticeable rise of her paranoia, starting to lock doors at random because "someone is stealing things in home", with passive aggression towards me, since she started taking such medication, that is.

I'm afraid to go to a therapist because I'm afraid I'll show up on some kind of shitlist when I get a diagnosis that's just going to fuck my life up

that happens, doesnt it

If you don't intrinsically value human life and understand that being institutionalized is a small price to pay for saving another person and possibly your own life then there isn't much I can tell you. You may not see the benefit of it at the moment but if you genuinely wish to harm other people then a facility is where you need to be. You seem cognoscente enough to understand that what you're doing isn't right so, like I said, on the off chance that you're not trolling I suspect you already know what the right thing to do for all parties involved is.

Hey doc, didn't you have a thread up a few weeks ago where you were having some bad shit going on? How's it going now?

A majority (not sure if it's more like 51% or 99%) of mental health professionals are too bluepilled and intellectually disengaged with reality to approach the issue of *depersonalization*. What do you think is the easiest way of finding a solution to this?

>How do I go about finding a competent white therapist to implement cognitive behavioral therapy?
I feel for you on the depression and anxiety front but overall I'm not a fan of this question. I suggest you find a non-white therapist to help you work through your depression and anxiety along with your racism issues. I'm sure you've figured out by now that finding all of the things that intimidate, scare and otherwise trigger an emotional reaction in you and facing them head on is the most effective way of unearthing these deep seated issues. Unfortunately, trusting people is an integral part of this process.

I don't know if she has anyone in her medical team that is handling the behavioral side of issues but if she doesn't have somebody she needs it. The behavior you've described in your childhood is most certainly not normal. I'm guessing people just kind of put up with her and wrote her off as an eccentric for most of her life and never actually made any meaningful effort to get her in for any screening. I can't say with any amount of certainty that her increase in paranoia is due to her new medication but I can say that it is very common for stress (like tumors for example) to wildly exacerbate psychiatric disorders. One of you needs to bring all of these issues up with her medical team. On its face I can say she definitely has some psychiatric issues at least partly unrelated to the medication but their exact causes and diagnosis is going to be the job of a professional.

youtube.com/watch?v=G-Ufk1BSabI

As a mental health professional, how would you diagnose the people who peddle nofap and the people who consume it?

>find a non-white therapist
just call him a shitbag. don't lowkey troll him.

Honestly this isn't trolling. Being forced to socialize with a competent, intelligent person of a different race is probably the best way to shatter his racist illusions about nonwhites.

No you can't. Confidentiality isn't an absolute. Mental Health professionals should, and in many states including mine, are requiring to notify authorities if someone is a risk of harming themselves, someone else(especially an identified target), or suspected neglect/abuse of children or elderly.

While I haven't had any first hand experience with this I can say that I have heard third hand that if you're applying for any kind of sensitive government or military position your psychiatric history will definitely be a component. As a whole, however, medical records are sealed and protected under federal HIPAA laws. I, for example, am not even legally allowed to say that I know a patient of mine if someone asks about them by name. Only under court order or under the circumstances of an immediate danger to themselves or others am I allowed to divulge any information to anybody, much less a prospective employer. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that there is no "shitlist". I have my personal medical records concerning my clients and sharing that information without written consent from the patient is a federal crime.

I'm not sure what your question is. I also don't know what "bluepilled" is. Do you have a specific question about disassociative conditions?

whats the point in caring what a robot or poltard does?

not trolling, genuine question

Let me rephrase.

Most mental health professionals are too positively illusioned about their work, and intellectually disengaged with anxiety, to approach a complicated, largely nto understood thing such as depersonalization. Most I've encountered won't even bother to Google it for someone they're helping, though many people going for their Master's have learned about it in case studies.

What is the best way, as a middle class person, to find adequate help for this condition?

Because caring about mental health means you care about people with mental disorders like that guy?

I completely disagree with your assessment. You should know a large part of what makes the therapeutic relationship successful is rapport and comfort between therapist and client. You said yourself "trusting people is an integral part of this process." Trusting the therapist is the first step in this.

There is no harm in preferring someone of one's own culture background in therapy. Anymore than clients have either same or opposite gender preferences for their therapists.

Clearly this person's chief compliant relates to anxiety and depression, not any racist tendencies you perceive. You should as always, meet the client where they are, without judgment or blame.

I wouldn't attempt to diagnose anybody, to be honest. My opinion is this; if you participate in any activity so much to the point that it actively disrupts your life whether it be masturbating, playing video games or even exercise, there really is no downside to trying to cut back. If excessive masturbation is genuinely a disruption to your life then I would also recommend not going cold turkey without the guidance or at least consult of a professional. Typically, masturbation is a symptom of another underlying disorder, not the disorder itself. However, if you're just a casual masturbator who feels like not masturbating for awhile would give you more time for reflection or other more productive activities I don't see the issue. I definitely understand that you're talking about the specific sect of people that hail nofap as the end all be all for sexual dysfunction but the way I see it if you don't have a problem with masturbating too much I don't see the benefit in stopping.

Therapist develop specializations, same as any other field. This can include specializations in eating disorders, trauma, elderly or children, mood disorders such as depression and anxiety, and yes, specialization in depersonalization.

It's not difficulty to google therapists that may have this, and in fact your insurance's website my highlight for you the specializations of the therapists in your area.

is this all the same poster?

No, I'm not the 1st person. Why would I make two posts about the same issue?

>Anymore than clients have either same or opposite gender preferences for their therapists.
There is nothing wrong with preferring the gender of your mental health professional. There is something wrong, however, if you prefer them because you view people of the opposite gender as inferior.
>There is no harm in preferring someone of one's own culture background in therapy.
There is harm if leaving the comfort zone of your cultural background (which, by the way is not limited to race) is a source of anxiety for you. If you're not comfortable interacting with people outside of your race then I would say that is an issue that needs addressed. Could a white therapist be helpful? Absolutely, but at some point the white therapist is going to challenge these views by recommending interaction and engagement with non-white people.

Ok. As I sort of suspected I see you have some kind of bone to pick with mental health professionals. To be honest, I can't blame you. I am, however, confused about your question because there are several kinds of disorders in which disassociative episodes are a common occurrence. Disassociative episodes can happen in people with anxiety disorders, BPD, OCD, schizophrenia and a host of other psychiatric conditions. I'm more confused because anybody who has even briefly browsed through the DSM knows what disassociative episodes are so I'm not sure how a licensed professional wouldn't know what it is. I'd really have to know specifically more about what kind of issues you're dealing with. Speaking about mental health professionals in such a broad, unforgiving manner holds no productive value for either you or me. I can, however, point you in the right direction if you're genuinely feeling like the professionals you encountered aren't equipped or familiar enough with your symptoms to help you.

depersonalization, specifically chronic persistent

I also believe that, while you bring up a good point about developing a foundation of trust with your therapist, immediately running to the defense of his racism is probably not the most helpful of reactions. If he refuses to see a non-white therapist then I would of course recommend seeing a white therapist and work with that person until their progress got to a point where interacting with non-white people was viable.
>Clearly this person's chief compliant relates to anxiety and depression, not any racist tendencies you perceive.
I'm not going to pretend understand what his chief complaints are. That is up to whoever his therapist is to unpack and address. I don't know how prominent a role his racism plays in his distrust of people and neither do you. I do know, however, it needs to be addressed. Insulating himself from his fears, in the long term, is not an effective plan.

Ok but in what way do these episodes manifest? How long do they last? What do these episodes look and feel like to you? What other symptoms accompany them? "Depersonalization" is too broad a term for any specific feedback.

> There is something wrong, however, if you prefer them because you view people of the opposite gender as inferior.

No there's not. Not if it builds the therapeutic relationship. Their view of genders are mostly likely not why they are in therapy.

>There is harm if leaving the comfort zone of your cultural background (which, by the way is not limited to race) is a source of anxiety for you.

If we are reading this as a vignette, there's no indication that race as any role in their anxiety, or that their view on race causes them any form of distress.

>If you're not comfortable interacting with people outside of your race then I would say that is an issue that needs addressed.

Again, no indication that this is the source of anxiety or would really "need" to be addressed in any sense of the word. That's your own projection. Perhaps this person has very little interaction with people from other races, and has little impact on day-to-day living.

>Absolutely, but at some point the white therapist is going to challenge these views by recommending interaction and engagement with non-white people.

lol not necessarily. Maybe you want to bill of additional sessions or something. But just focus on the sx.

totally persistent. since my panic attacks, about three years ago, it hasn't subsided even once.

depersonalization is not really a broad term. it's a cluster of symptoms and experiences that usually all go hand in hand. I've had every symptom characteristic of depersonalization, albeit not all at the same time.

during the break, it was much worse. it felt like the words coming out of my mouth belonged to someone else. now, I'd settle for describing it as "feels as though nothing is real".

What would you recommend to a couple that has issues communicating issues?

In arguments and general communication I'm more likely to do things like

>shut off after a period and just try to make the issue go away, usually around the 30min-hour mark in. I feel emotionally and mentally exhausted so I generally just try to end it as soon as possible. I imagine this makes my partner feel as if I don't care about how they feel
>generally just go for the "ok what do you want" approach, especially when my partner just wants to talk it out
>eventually just end the conversation due to pure exhaustion from it
>generally get defensive and shut off emotionally

I feel my partner:

>is unable to remain calm or think about what they say before they say it, often this leads to things being expressed in a very attacking and often insulting way
>uses all-encompassing terms like "you always do x"
>generally is unable to remain calm and collected
>generally I feel they care more about proving me wrong or proving themselves right than resolving the issue
>I feel they have a hard time expressing themselves efficiently. Arguments can and will go on for several hours, severely exhausting both of us
>will use what I feel to be incredibly strong emotionally charged language in general

We've worked through a lot of bad fighting habits and we have made a lot of progress, but these things seem to still be prevalent. What do you think? What can we do to help correct these issues

Have you tried addressing those points with your partner? It is seems you have fair insight into how you both communicate.

>Being forced to socialize with a competent, intelligent person of a different race is probably the best way to shatter his racist illusions about nonwhites.
Ok I put my troubles out there and asked for legitimate advice about my mental health problems and all you did about it was call me a racist. Because of this:
>How do I go about finding a competent white therapist

Die in a fucking fire, you utterly insulting faggot.

Yeah and it seems to work for a little bit until we both slip back into it

I mean I know intelligent nonwhite people, even have had nonwhite friends. I'd still prefer to associate with my own race and would prefer a professional of my own race. Not sure if that makes me racist or not but that's just how it is for me. I'm just more comfortable around my own race

chill out no need to shoot up a mall or anything

but yeah you're right that was a dickhead move of him

What do you think are some options to remind yourself what you're in those moments?

Well, I'm not here to to argue with anyone. You're more than allowed to disagree with me but in my professional opinion encouraging people to actively avoid their issues is not beneficial in the long run. If you ever pursue a field in mental health then I'd be willing to pick this conversation back up when you have some actual experience to supplement your opinion.

So, I'm kind of at a loss of what to say to you because if a client entered into my program with panic disorder and unexplained episodes of disassociation my opinion would be to immediately take them to a psychiatrist and, if not find the source of these episodes, refer them to someone who specializes in such a thing. I say "depersonalization" is too broad of a term because its never a condition I've seen unaccompanied by another underlying disorder or psychiatric condition. I've disassociative episodes as a symptom of a disorder but never the disorder itself. Again, I understand you're very frustrated by this but I'd highly recommend finding someone who specializes in disassociative disorders because it is not typically something that everyone is well versed in.

The quote you greentexted wasn't something I said. I'm sorry that this is such a touchy issue for you but your visceral reaction to being called a racist, in my opinion, is just evidence that it needs to be addressed. You don't HAVE to seek treatment for anything, user, but if you want honest advice then I gave you mine. You're welcome to take it or not.

Honestly, a lot of these dynamics you don't seem incredibly out of the ordinary. I'm not saying that they aren't issues worth pursuing but I am saying that a lot of people struggle with them. My immediate advice would be for both of you to see therapists individually and perhaps gain some outside perspective on the way you talk to each other and why. Its very difficult to be objective about the way we communicate when our pride and need for validation is so frequently the focal point. I'd be willing to bet that she feels just as invalidated and brushed aside as you do. Whether those complaints be imagined or legitimate is exactly why I suggest therapy. Individual, not couples. Sorting out the things that other people make us feel versus the things we make ourselves feel is difficult and an objective observer could give you some very helpful insight on that.

that's probably the best advice. there is no med therapy for depersonalization.

depersonalization being in the dissociative spectrum seems logical but a little bit arbitrary to me. I hope the people I eventually see, who claim to specialize in dissociation, will
a. be helpful
and
b. be affordable

I need to distract myself from the depersonalization often, but I don't know if I should give up entirely. I mostly see stories of people who beat it in a year or two, and stories of people who have it for their whole lives. hopefully I am not the latter.

I don't know if there isn't med therapy because I don't know what is causing it. Finding the appropriate help and being able to afford it is a struggle I know all too well, user. Even as a mental health professional I am still at the whim of insurance companies and state mandates and it is endlessly frustrating to deal with. I empathize with you, I really do. If you view this condition of yours the same way you'd view a rare genetic disorder I think you'd see the benefit in continuing to search for adequate treatment. Unfortunately you have something that not every mental health professional is equipped to handle. I've seen plenty of people with disassociative conditions overcome them and I really hope you do as well. You can beat it. Don't give up, user.

Thanks, man. It means a lot to see someone being nice on here for a change.

I hope what the psychotherapists believe is partially right, and I can just solve the issue by continuing to work on my life and reconnect with my feelings.

I'll just have to keep trying.

>I hope what the psychotherapists believe is partially right, and I can just solve the issue by continuing to work on my life and reconnect with my feelings.
In part, yes. I don't have much experience directly counseling people with a diagnosed disassociative disorders but it is my understanding that there is an element of repression to it. I'm very glad I could be of assistance. Good luck, user.

I have anger issues and I don't know how to deal with it.
I can't afford counseling or therapy or whatever and I'm sure as fuck my insurance won't cover anything. I try to manage but I feel like I'm on a slippery slope, I'm at the point where I'm starting to snap at people who don't deserve it and I'm ruining my relationships with family and the few friends I have.

What can I do?

In lieu of counseling or therapy (which I'd highly recommend whenever it becomes viable) the next best thing would be mindfulness exercises. I know it seems silly but little exercises here and there can be beneficial in at least curbing your symptoms to a manageable level. A big hit with my client is, believe it or not, coloring books. Not children's coloring books but very intricate adult coloring books. Most people think its kind of silly but forcing yourself to focus on an intricate task, no matter how small, can help break you out of an episode. I encourage my clients to get in the habit of separating themselves and practicing their breathing techniques or continue coloring whenever they feel the familiar symptoms of anger or frustration welling up. There's a lot of great information and books out there regarding the management of anger and stress. Again, I very much so encourage you to seek therapy when at all possible. I do know that most universities with a counseling program offers cheap or free sessions to people as a part of their training curriculum. Yes, you will be meeting with counseling students but they're all under the supervision of professionals and any influence coming from outside of your head is going to be invaluable in helping you address your anger.

>I do know that most universities with a counseling program offers cheap or free sessions to people as a part of their training curriculum
I'm not in school, is this option available regardless?

I believe so, yes

Why do I hate my job? Why am i so anxious all the time? I went to therapy today and my therapist told me towards the end that we’d look into mindfulness and I have no idea what this is. I’m just tired of overthinking all the time, just right now I’m overthinking about my cashier job and I’m anxious about asking customers for donations. I am a mess, please help.

I once was a cashier for like 5 days and I hated it so much I quit kek. It was exactly like you described, so I guess we have some social anxiety issues but im not a therapist so what do I know. Anyway good luck user, at least you're not a quitter.

How come Im only satisfied when Im miserable? I was enlisted in the army and did all kinds of retarded miserable shit. Never got stressed, never got depressed. Now I'm an investment adviser with a great company. Climate controlled office with a great team and I want to stick a gun barrel in my mouth. My blood pressure and stress levels are through the roof. Seriously considering going back to the military and trying special forces selection.

Attached: 1512010968068.png (657x527, 48K)

bump for an answer

Attached: 1512010499019.jpg (1916x1128, 748K)

What is the actual difference between social anxiety/awkwardness and autism? I feel like "autism" is flung around a lot, but when is it actually that?

So if someone dealt with some fucked up stuff in their past (shit kicked out of them regularly, held captive, near-death experiences, identity documents stolen ect,) and their honest reaction is that they want to find the person(s) responsible and kill them, is there any way to have a productive conversation about any of this with a mental health provider?

Seems like:

a.) be honest and get immediately reported

b.) Omit so much that it's not even worth it

Asking for a friend. And before hur der police report, yeah, no shit. The court system is a meme.

I don't know how to prove that I'm not a troll. Part of what got me into trouble in the past was that lack of valueing the lives and feelings of other people and being focussed solely on my own well being. I think of the homicidal thoughts as a self defense against the influence of the psychologist. I don't like not being in control. As if they're trying to take away my happiness.

Trust me man. Ive have 14 jobs the past 2 years. Got bored of every one within 2 months. Idk what's my issue.

>I can say that I have heard third hand that if you're applying for any kind of sensitive government or military position your psychiatric history will definitely be a component.
This is exactly what I'm referring to. I could find myself desperate for a job, which might mean building bombs. They will see I visited a therapist for depression, right? Even worse, what if I go to the therapist because I think I have depression and then he fucking puts me on the autism spectrum?

>
feel ya, stop overthinking and watch this:
youtu.be/OHWK0Wn0Ebs