Drop out

Like thousands before me, I’m dropping out of college to pursue a career in entertainment. Any tips?

Attached: 7BAB92E1-F6B3-42D1-95BD-9FFB2AB05E0D.jpg (1125x666, 111K)

i wouldn't advise dropping out of college unless you're majoring in something shitty.

Don’t do something you’ll hate for a living or it’ll lead to depression

Stay in school so you can get a decent job and support yourself while you pursue your dream but dont give up your dream....seriously, youll regret if you dont give it a shot

CS+math minor not shitty, but not great either.

>not great either
That's one of the best major/minor combinations you can have. Don't drop out unless you have a serious reason, like you have proof that you will be successful. You don't need to drop out to pursue a career in entertainment, you can do both concurrently.

This. At the very least, you have a safety net if your entertainment fling doesn't pan out or you realize it's not for you, which is a very big possibility.

School will always be there though? The opportunity to chase something eventually fades.

It's a lot harder to stop something and start it back up 2 years later. Also, you can chase things while still doing school. Also, this is implying that nothing will ever come up in the future, and that opportunities are a commodity. Make your own opportunities, and you'll never run out.

yes and no

don't drop out of college

go on academic leave and see how much you can get done if you dedicated a whole semesters worth of time to it. if its good and you make a lot and work hard and grow as an artist, that's at least a better rationale to drop out than just on a whim.

or honestly fuck just see what that looks like this summer. you have three months ahead of you to do this and not even have to drop out.

unless youve already done a lot of work and grown as an artist to the point where you're confident you can move forward in that direction. in that case post some of your portfolio and anons will tell you if its shit or not

commit

Definitely part of the plan to “test the waters” this summer.

Why do you need to drop out to pursue it is my question. Moving somewhere doesn't work, with the internet you literally just need to throw stuff up online and get a portfolio together. I'm in college right now, there are some kids here in the music majors that have strong online followings and shit but they are still at college. Lots of great bands, artists, musicians, filmmakers, etc. all went to college. Also most colleges are 4 years, so if you start when you are 18 and graduate at 22 you aren't even that old or past your prime. Why not enjoy your years at college, get the degree, and then do whatever. You also have summers and tons of free time to mess around.

I just can't imagine a scenario where it makes sense to ditch college unless you have job offers somewhere else.

Yeah, those are the everyday worries. Yet, chasing things simultaneously isn’t really an option. my uni isn’t huge and the nearby city has no night life or places to perform/audition for said dream.

Man, OP. I'm old. I'm almost 40. Life comes at you quick. I dropped out of school at 20, then couldn't get back in before 26 (because I couldn't afford it, my parents made money but they wouldn't help me, which I don't blame them for, and I was generally disorganized and never applied for financial aid in time). Well, at 26 I had kids. Then at 33 I got divorced and have sole custody of the kids. At 34-35 I decided my job that I had for the last 10 years sucked but guess what? the only way to leverage my skillset (because that's what you now have in your 30s), is to have a degree. So I started going back to school. Two years of community college part time, then transferred into a state school, doing a completely different degree than what I did at 20, so starting from ground zero.

So. Just so you know what I'm dealing with. I have a job, two kids to support that live with me 24x7, and online classes at night. You know how long it will be before I finish? At least 5 more years. I'll be 42.

And the thing is, it doesn't take long for this to happen. Years go by faster and faster. All it takes is a few years of partying around and one day you'll wake up and think, shit, I should've taken care of things earlier.

So yeah, pursue your dreams, but be smart about it. Or not, it's your call and your life. I'm just letting you know how things look from my side of the fence.

Fuck these anons.

Follow your dreams. If you crash and burn you're young enough to pick up the pieces. these people aren't even giving you advice, just rationalizing their own wasted years at college.

You have time to waste now. You can afford to spend a year or two devoting yourself to this. Later, when you're older, that's next to impossible. You can pick up the pieces of your life if you crash. You can't get your youth back.

Dream high, but be prepared to fall really fucking far

I have the same plan brother

I fall right in the middle user. that’s my thoughts EXACTLY. I am relatively young to be able to start over if I fail, but the other end of the spectrum is just fear of being a burnout I’m the end.

I see where you’re coming from clearly brother. I guess on the plus side I’m not a partier and just need time to give my dreams a chance. Because I gave school one and I’m sure if this is my ballpark. All in all thanks for the level headed advice.

I’ll see you at all the red carpet events and Illuminati meetings then broski

Put all your effort and dedicate yourself to it. Experiment and and see what works for the audience and what doesn't.

The biggest tip from many successful entertainers is that you don't give up if you dont see a big improvement. Keep going, build your fanbase and perform your entertainment consisntetly.
And when you start doing good, dont change subject because your progress can go to the trash and lose some of your fanbase.
Obviously doing this and school might not work, as you have to devote yourself daily to become a good entertainer.

Can I ask what field exactly do you want to go for, OP?

Music,Acting,Standup, and whatever else comes up.I’m no where near a natural at any of these things, but when I had a little time to build the skill set, I did see improvement. I’ve done things from small plays back in the day, to paying for music classes completely un related to my major so I could learn music theory and how to sing. As far as stand up goes I’ve only given “performances” during class speeches, but my peers say they enjoy my time on the “stage”.

>and whatever else comes up
You sound as if you don't know the direction. I'd advise first choosing a profession and then build a plan to improve, perform and advertise yourself.

I may have have presented the information in an ambiguous way. By “whatever else comes up” I meant in a sense that I do become successful and more opportunities will open up. To answer the question better. I’ll be going for music first.

Good luck, and dont expect to get rich in your first few years. Have passion, otherwise the cause is lost.

You are a such a narcisist. By entertainment do you mean youtube letsplays? Jesus christ just stick to college you retard. College is where retards with insane interpretations of themselves belong.

Missed the letsplay train years ago ):

Why not just finish and pursue entertainment anyway?

Also what do you mean by entertainment

I answered those questions earlier I believe. If not, just reply and I’ll answer anything u got!

The only way to make it in entertainement is by throwing up illuminati hand signs and sucking off directors etc.

Like circus school? Are you learning to juggle? What the fuck does college for entertainment even mean? Like, jokes and shit?

Don't. Thousands try. Most fail.

I think this thread went over your head my friend.

I dropped out of film school because it was a big waste of money. After a year of working I saved up a good amount of money and am going to start community college in the fall. It's hard to make it on your own, but if you don't mind stocking shelves or working at McDonald's than go for it

Yeah this summer I should make around 6k to start me off. I potentially have a job lined up if I leave. What will you be going back for, if I may ask?

Enjoy being a poor nobody like everyone else who thinks they're special

You know what's really special? Applying yourself to something tangible and useful to others instead of retarded narcissism in "entertainment". Everybody wants to do that when they have no ideas or skills or ambitions and think it will make them happy

I want to be a teacher, preferably teaching philosophy. it doesn't pay that well, but I don't really care about money, I just want to do something that I enjoy. My real goals are to raise a nice family

and what if he does have talent? you could be discouraging the next Michelangelo. It's extremely unlikely but still possible. why are you so bitter about it? if he fails it doesn't affect you in any way. There are better ways of talking to people about the repercussions of their actions.

Yeah man I feel the same on the money part. That’s awesome I did some philosophy classes. You’re picking a good route in life.

Haha you sound like my father.

Remember to put lettuce on my burger.

How could I forget!

wow

do you hear the irony

Kinda the point