Coworker expects me to greet him first at the office

When I walk in at the start of the day or walk near him he makes it obvious that he wants me to greet him. If I say nothing, he won't either. However if he gets in after me he walks past me without saying a thing unless I intiate.

I stopped greeting him and started avoiding eye contact. If we make eye contact he seems to wait for me to talk first. It got to the point that I could see him looking at me, out of my peripheral vision, when he would pass by. Not like I even enjoy his presence, sadly his desk is close to mine.

What do I do when he is up to petty shit? I don't want to greet him first when he avoids it. He might just twist it around on me if he complains to HR which wouldn't surprise me as he seems like the type.

Attached: Screenshot_20180513-190459.jpg (1098x1391, 224K)

I don't know what's your nationality/race/culture, because such things do change the way people behave with strangers.

As an example, if you're Japanese you'd probably not greet strangers as easily as a latino (myself) do.

speaking of myself, I actually greet every single person I find in my way, because I was taught otherwise would be uneducated from my part.

I don't know about you, but I'd greet the guy even if the doesn't, because it shows you're actually an educated person.

I've encountered this situation where people won't greet, but that's their problem. not yours.

Always be nice to people.

Is the guy just really shy or super creepy ? Maybe a little of both ?

Sounds like he's an asshole who wants to show dominance. Ignore this fag and show you are higher than him. (Unless you need his help more often than he needs yours)

I'm the kind of person that is described in OP.
the reason for that is because i don't feel like greetings for the sake of greetings.
I simply nod if i noticed that the other person is looking at me / noticed me too.

It's fine, I'm actually extroverted and greet everyone but I can understand some people are not comfortable with that.

but you can't deny that at least acknowledging someone's presence is a nice thing to do, right?

I personally don't like people to acknowledge my presence out of nowhere, like purposely come to me and greet.
And i don't care if someone don't acknowledge my presence if we walk pass each other in the office.
But one very important thing that's universally true is,
If one person greeted the other, it's very very rude to not response or acknowledge that.

oh, and it is a nice gesture to acknowledge someone's presence, though i deemed unnecessary.

The proper reaction to this is to enter, lay down at his feet, and wait for his acknowledgement. He will probably pause confusedly for a moment, and this is when you present yourself as a woman would to her man.

Of course, he's supposed to ask if you saw last night's game, and if you want to grab a cup of coffee to get energized for the day. If he fucking touches you, call him a faggot and IMMEDIATELY go to HR.

You contradict yourself there friend, you say you don't like people to acknowledge your presence but find it a nice gesture.

I don't know pal, I'd probably still greet you

"Good morning!"

"Good evening!"

you know, just being nice to you and stuff, even if you're a stranger in an elevator or something.

>even if you're a stranger in an elevator or something.
which is what i hated.
If i know you and you greeted me in the elevator, it's nice gesture.
If i'm sitting at my cubicle working while you walked pass, and you greet me out of nowhere simply because you just reached the office, and have no other reasons to look for me, Then i hate it.
I hope that explains why it's not contradicted.

We're probably from different countries/culture, so I can't judge you, most people here are this way, it's not really because I'm all that extroverted.

I can't understand why would you hate some guy just because he decided to say "good morning" to you while passing by, but I guess there's stuff I won't ever understand about other people.

I still respect your opinion, but I'd probably still greet you if I'm crossing paths with you because that's how I was educated.

I don't think he can take you to hr over not saying good morning to you. Oh Lord

OP, your co-worker acts exactly the way I do. The reason I act that way is because I have really intense anxiety. If I'm doing something, and somebody I know comes by, I'm really hopeful they'll talk to me, but I'm so worried about rejection that I really kind of just look at them hopefully.

If I come in some place with people, I often have trouble bringing myself to say "hi," but I hope that they do, because my self-esteem is so low that I don't really expect them to care that I'm in.

I know it's hypocritical. It's just that I get nervous and panicky.

>I'd probably still greet you if I'm crossing paths with you because that's how I was educated.
even if you don't know me?
Please just leave me alone.
I don't need more pressure from social interactions with strangers.

You wouldn't believe the kind of things people take to HR, I wouldn't be surprised.

Stop being a fucking autistic bitch, don't ever go out of your home then if you're crying over some dude saying good morning. Fucking dysfunctional people.

Maybe he is fine without you saying anything. It’s just when you do, he’s still polite enough to answer.

>crying over some dude saying good morning
what? I can't even have feelings anymore? I'm not even crying or whining to anybody about that. But it's a fact that it annoyed me.
Who are you? The Feel Police? It's illegal to be annoyed now?

It's also a fact that you're dysfunctional in this society, get help.

It literally takes a few seconds out of your day to wave and nod or smile, you don't have to give a full out greeting. If you're worried about him making you initiate out of some kind of 'dominance' move, realize that a lot of people are more reserved. He may feel he doesn't have enough to instigate conversation with you and waits for you to do it because he feels like he's bothering you.

different user here, but if someone passes you and says good morning, it LITERALLY takes a second to say good morning back. They don't expect you to have a converstation with them but in the future should either of you need something from each other, having that bit of acknowledgment can make a huge difference. That's the whole reason people make small talk, to form connections. You don't have to be best buds with someone to acknowledge they exist and that you're on good terms.

Don't know why you guys bother, OP and some people here are evidently socially retarded. No amount of advice will be of help here.

You sound like a fearful and tormented person.

Sort your shit out. It's seriously pathetic

Op here just to sort it out
> he isn't the quiet type
> when others show up to drop something off at my desk but not greet him, he makes fun of them to his group
> he clearly wants me to intiate but doesn't intiate it himself eg I see him looking at me from my peripheral vision when he would pass by
> he has also made a joke about fighting me fairly sure he has something against me
> we can easily see people from our desks
> I'm in my 20s, he's in his 40s we are both at the bottom of the totem pole

Oh, I think I have a sense for what's going on now. He feels like he can assert status over you by dominating you, since you're also a low man on the totem pole, and he resents the fact that you're young and have tons of potential, while he's an old loser who's wasted his life.

I've dealt with that same dynamic, though not from an older person. Honestly, the best revenge is just to be unconcerned with him and enjoy yourself with the other workers. I recommend being courteous if possible, to show that he's not getting to you.

I'm and you're right, he's not like me, so I shouldn't have made the comparison.