AOC: Criticizes Unpaid Intern Practice & Will Pay $15/Hr

businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-pay-interns-15-an-hour-2018-12
>Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has said that she will pay her congressional interns at least $15 an hour after slamming her future colleagues for offering unpaid internships and failing to pay staff a "living wage."

>"Time to walk the walk," the Democratic congresswoman-elect tweeted on Tuesday. "Very few members of Congress actually pay their interns. We will be one of them." She tweeted a link to an article in the Washington Post in which her campaign manager, Saikat Chakrabarti, confirmed that interns in her office would be paid "at least" $15 an hour.

>She also tweeted on Monday that she has seen congressional employees waiting tables on the side. (Ocasio-Cortez was a waitress before her political career took off.) "This week I went to dive spot in DC for some late night food. I chatted up the staff. SEVERAL bartenders, managers, & servers *currently worked in Senate + House offices,*" she wrote. "This is a disgrace."

>"It is unjust for Congress to budget a living wage for ourselves, yet rely on unpaid interns & underpaid overworked staff just bc Republicans want to make a statement about 'fiscal responsibility,'" she tweeted.

>A report in 2017 from nonprofit group Pay Our Interns found that in the House, just 8% of Republicans and 3.6% of Democrats pay interns. It found that in the Senate, 51% of Republicans and 31% of Democrats pay their interns.

>From 2019, both the Senate and the House will have funds to pay interns. The House will be given $8.8 million to distribute across members' offices, and the Senate will be given $5 million. Ocasio-Cortez acknowledged the new fund, saying it would give $20,000 per member of Congress for their interns. Each member of Congress is allowed four interns at a time.
Good on her for calling out the other leeches in Congress, especially her fellow trash Dems dependant on clerical slavery at double the % rate of GOP members.

Attached: Capture.png (613x489, 52K)

Inb4 she is only allowed to pay for like 2 interns

I think she has 20k a year allocated for interns.

I can support this. Unpaid internships are absolute horseshit.

Lol. Good. Make her pay health, pension and insurance too. She'll be capitalist by 2020.

Attached: 41UF56zORJL._SY300_QL70_.jpg (300x300, 9K)

Sorry it’s $20,000 per member for interns ( 4 interns max at a time - DC & district).

This will anger her jew masters

Unpaid internships = only kids with daddy's money apply

I'd be fine with that. I will always side with quality over the quantity of employment. I don't approve of the China model of creating armies of corpses doing work at lowest standards such that suicide nets become a mandatory feature.

I dont give a fuck about the pay of some dc coffee retriever. I swear the washington elite should be hanging from the light posts. Not that I have sympathy for any congressman, but do you know how prestigious being an intern is to a congressman? Your career options blow up after what is commonly known an an UNPAID INTERNSHIP. I dont hear her complaining about the unpaid engineering interns or the unpaid research interns. Then again Im conflicted because this post seems like something a boomer would write.
My main point is that burocrats are human filth that we allow to have a pulse.

Most of those interns don’t want to be there for the hourly wage. They want to be there for the opportunity to advance out of college. People will literally pay the Congress just to be allowed to intern for them, in fact many do as they are children of large donors. All this would do is just limit the number of internships available.

>People will literally pay the Congress just to be allowed to intern for them, in fact many do as they are children of large donors.
That's a problem in and of itself. It's basically patronage. Giving interns income for their labor means the support staff won't be so reliant on offspring from groomed elite families that can afford to subsidize the lack of earned wages Congress ghouls won't pay up.

This is Actually a good thing. Unpaid internships are for the rich. It's not right.

Btw I hate her

How do we get Jow Forumsocks in there to spread the idea of social nationalism?

How does she expect to pay for other expenses that her district and DC offices will run up? What about actual full time staff? I interned for a congressmember before, didn’t get paid anything, but it helped gain good experience and expand my network. They even offered me a job a few months after I completed my internship but I instead took an offer at a lobbying firm.

I wouldn’t say it’s prestigious, but it helps with career options and experience. I did one for a congressmember and another for a state senator and it really expanded job opportunities.

Did you enjoy slavery? How many lashing did they give you when their coffee orders were a few minutes late?

I spent most of the time emailing constientents back and forth and answering phones, I enjoyed speaking with psycho boomers on the phone telling me that Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan were still alive and hiding in Key West, waiting to lead a coup against Obama. One of the staffers was on a cooking show once so she always cooked really good food for all the staff. After I secured a real job it was nice seeing the staff around at events, some eventually moved on to staff for local elected officials, which made it helpful with my line of work.

Sounded fun, glad it worked out for you. You still should have gotten paid for your time though.

important point

Is she using the imperial “we” or just using nigger grammar?

Mostly, yeah. I did one with the state department when I was in college, but I had the GI bill and a couple grand saved from my enlistment bonus.

This. It’s about making connections and gaining experience.

You might be right. I worked as hard as I could and treated it like a real job. I figured if I worked as hard as I could and made it seem like they were losing something when I left, they’d offer me a job. As you know, they eventually did. At the time I was juggling three job offers. One with Congress, one with state senate and another at a private firm. You may not be surprised to learn that the public sector jobs were taking forever to actually bring me on board and I didn’t have any patience for that shit.

The chief of staff and district director are my friends, we’d hit the range and some bars before I left for Japan, still keep in touch to this day.

When it comes to college, students should be focusing on internships, not grades. Employers care about what you’ve done, they don’t give a shit about what you’ve learned or your GPA. Interning can suck, it’s rare to find opportunities that pay you paid, but it’s one of the few ways to make yourself standout over competition. Just imagine, when you graduate college, there thousands of other kids looking for jobs at the same time. You need every advantage you can get. If you don’t bite the bullet and do everything you can to outcompete your peers, you didn’t try hard enough.

The only other useful skill these fuckers have is waiting tables? Maybe they deserve to be unpaid then useless trash.

Based

>>I'm a good person
>>will use tax money to pay multicultural interns

see everybody can make a living wage

so pretty but so evil, would bang

Once or twice a week a poster reminds me that this board isn’t total trash.

Yes but made a few typos I’m sure some nigger will point out. Anyway, where are you out here? I’m in Yokosuka. I used my GI bill in college too.

I noticed, but who cares? Faggots will REee over anything.

Sunny, sunny, Okinawa. Traffic blows but for the most part it’s pretty cool. Great fishing.

>it’s rare to find opportunities that pay you
Yeah, maybe in shitty majors.

What is it about jap posters that are great? Why are they so great. Why are you guys not shit heads like the rest of us?

Who falls for this. One could reasonably quit a 100k year job for the connections and experience from being an unpaid intern for a member of THAT chamber. caved_out_brain_no_fishing_sign.jpg

Dude...

Attached: 56997800-3E11-43F3-B7D2-C8024760B1C7.jpg (691x724, 113K)

This. She's going full retard at the speed of light

So brave of her to spend taxpayer money.

Interns in DC are trust fund babies and generally useless people anyway

>going to college
>working for free
You’re like a janny and I the trade chad dab on you both. Get paid to learn a skill and then make bank once I’ve attained mastery of said skill. Enjoy your debt and struggling to find opportunity faggot

>More republicans pay interns then democrats
huh that really gets the noggin joggin

Attached: Hall-Of-Cost.png (712x880, 127K)

>15 an hour

LmAO I MADE 35 as a business analyst my junior year in 2016. People who aren’t gunning for government internships are definitely talented enough to intern at a tech company or consulting firm....lmao.

She can afford maybe one part time assistant, considering she would have to dish out health insurance, salary, PTO, 401k to not look like a posturing jackass.
Then she will have to hire unpaid interns anyway because they can't afford employees.

My old roommate was an intern for Rep. Peter DeFazio, never made a dime but he didn't give a fuck. A letter of recommendation from a congressman is worth a fuckload more than $15/hr for 6 months.

Depends if the person reading the letter is a democrat or republican and what party said congressmen was a member of i guess.

>$15 an hr
lmao an intern for a local sports talk radio show. I went to probably +50 MLB games, 25 NBA games and a handful of NFL games for free.

You will not get any support here because the tards here would rather see dems be proved wrong than see themselves make more money

unpaid interships should be illegal.

shes looking at $125,000 in intern fees for 4 interns full time for a year

maybe she really is poor

Republicans are twice as likely to pay their interns as democrats...

so shes will have to dole out 100k of her own money? how fast do you think shes going to back out of this one.

we pay, not her

Read the article... shes supporting a government fund allocating 80k to each official to pay their interns 20k a year.

Democrats love spending other people's money

So she wants about 34 million dollars per year to pay for interns at the tax payers expense while not lowering congressional salaries? does this bitch ever have an idea that doesn't cost tax payers millions?

Gas every deranged goybot defending unpaid internships under any circumstances.
>Just be bacteria levels of servile and pathetic bro, be grateful

>I am going to use your tax money to pay my interns

How very noble of her.

Attached: 1538853811902.gif (200x235, 1.29M)

By 'We' she means taxpayers of course.

Attached: Krugman.jpg (768x960, 59K)

Except research interns and engineering interns are usually paid, sometimes quite well

>used gi bill

No debt.

Cold and wet in Yokosuka today. Haven’t been to Okinawa in a long time. Got a comfy creek behind my place with plenty of rainbow trout, fishing is good here too.

Attached: 2o77la.jpg (500x500, 44K)

>I can't afford a house
>I'll pay my interns
This woman's plight changes every day doesn't it

>interns
>being paid
Wouldn't they just be employees at that point?

First she will have to pay off her official nylon US Representative employee uniform to the company store based in Israel. After that, thanks to donations from viewers like you, she can begin to pay her interns for a once in a lifetime work experience that will catapult their careers up up up

So you rather there be no interns at all.

i love her more every day

She will need to offer money. I do not know how those internships are awarded, but the reason students seek them so enthusiastically is the exact reason that they would never want an internship with this or any of other of the mopes who were sent to DC by insanely idiotic electorates willing up to give up two years of representation in exchange for nothing more than the momentary visceral satisfaction of the infantile indulgence of petty spite.

Attached: 1543705933652.jpg (485x501, 67K)

Must be nice to be able to pay interns with tax dollars.

>fewer dems pay their interns than reps
>she somehow says it’s a republican problem

They aren't Japanese, they're American failures that ran away.

I mean women are notoriously great with money...

this woman is just a left wing, female trump
their political influence is completely dependant on their social media meme status
these kinds of politicians are a symbol of the final nail in the coffin of democracy. they are bizarro politicians who rely on the support of morons and sadly the morons outnumber the intelligent.
when the usa was founded only the intelligentsia and wealthy could vote. Most voters were from the intelligensia. Nbnow instead of educated men contemplating policy we have social media popularity contests

How is this even relevant

>Rrrr I'm walking the walk
>$15/hr

This is unironically one of the smartest posts I read all week. Its going to be sick seeing Beto win the presidency based on a grifting scheme and some gaslighting where they just con all the young people to vote for the newest "meme candidate" and you just need the blacks and latinos to show up and ezpz you win with zero experience or accomplishments.

>time to walk the walk with businesses paying at least $15 an hour to employees
>legislates that she should be given tax payer money to pay interns
like clockwork pottery

>Can't pay apartment rent
>Can pay a dozen snotnosed comm students $15/hr
pick one

They are unless you get college credit, and if you go to an expensive college the amount of tuition money you save is probably worth more than whatever they'd pay you.

>republicans actually pay people that they work for
>dems use slave labour
wew, nothing has changed

You do realize people voluntarily take these positions knowing they're unpaid, right? So either they have a good reason to take the position or they're just stupid?

its not her money you moron, pick both because she loots you clean via forced taxation.

Test