Starting code

Hey I’m pretty interested in starting to learn code but the whole process is overwhelming, any advice on places to start? Specifically interested in HTML, Java, Ruby, Python, C++

Attached: C27ED169-57BF-47C8-BBCD-E8D6AA035431.jpg (720x804, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B5_mAdKvdKTlUHZ4eF82LXdldEE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What goals do you have?

python has a lot of tutorials for free on YouTube. The software for Python is free and there are a lot of forums online that can help along the way. Python is pretty versatile and open. A YouTube search for "python tutorial" is a good place to start when researching what you would like to do.

I'm on the same boat. I actually tried to start with C++ in a Nutshell with next to zero knowledge of codong and shit was simply overwhelming. I'm looking for alternatives, maybe starting with Java or Python first since I've heard C is simply fucked up as useful as it might be.

A friend of mine recommended me some books like "Hacking secret ciphers with python" for python and he also learned with edx and coursera. Have to give them a try.

C++ in a nutshell: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5_mAdKvdKTlUHZ4eF82LXdldEE

Start with C#
It's incredibly useful because you can build the UI in the IDE, the language is intuitive and it has modules to be interactive with a ton of softwares, including any Microsoft Office

Take an online course. I've learned a great many things (HTML included) and I've tried many ways. Always look to be taught by someone else.

If you set out yourself you'll be overwhelmed because you don't know why you don't know and you don't know where to begin.

A course teacher, or someone who already knows can set it all out for you in order and tell you what to do step by step.

>Always look to be taught by someone else
Terrible advice. I learned Japanese, German, English itself and drawing by myself. Sure, not everyone is self-taught, but learning by yourself can be as good if not better than being taught by someone else.
>If you set out yourself you'll be overwhelmed
Then you just do it, that's how I do it.

I am also self taught french. Im a bit of a polymath and I assure you language is not the same. Language has an extremely logical progression because you already speak one.

Language is "I want to say this. How do.i do this" and you just straight up translate and overtime get used to the grammar and syntax and words stick. Language is the goddamn easiest thing you can possible learn it just takes a very long time.

When were talking something like programming which looks like basically nothing you've seen before, overwhelming doesn't mean. "wow that's a lot!!!" It means total brain blank and failure to absorb information because you have no reference point.

Mind your braggy ass.

>How do.i do this" and you just straight up translate
Not with Japanese. As I see it programming have a logic of it's own that even a fucking idiot can figure out. Plus, if you were into video games and fucked around a bit with them, you should be at the very least familiar with the concept.
>Mind your braggy ass
Mind your brainlet self.

"As I see it" says the one who thinks "get someone who already knows to teach you" is terrible advice.

Of all the dumb in the world.

>that even a fucking idiot can figure out
If you're being even remotely serious right now then you need to pull your head out of your ass for your own good

Don’t do it, you pieces of shit are flooding the job market

Says the fag that learned the easiest language in the world "for a long time".
If you fucking used excel with your own macros you even had to have a fucking idea of what you were doing. It's not easy, but it's not that hard either. You can just cross-reference what you don't understand in google.

>If you fucking used excel with your own macros
You must have real limited human interaction if you think regular people know how to make excel macros

Update: my main goal is just to educate myself so I can mess around with code and maybe try my hand at writing some programs but I’m not hard set on anything.

At one point in your live you should have done one. I mean, maybe OP isn't too involved with PCs, but that's different. If you have barely used a PC and you want to learn coding you should simply stop.

Attached: 0c1b2e71d314d2a744ed8cb636a62224cb209c355bc3b6d6a7ac7f968fc2b1b3.png (300x300, 123K)

FreeCodeCamp and Project Odin are amazing resources! FCC is my favorite personally.

I'll double down on my first answer then: C#. You can place and link the buttons, inputs and outputs very easily and create a meaningful program. It's so easy that I learned it on the job 2 years ago, when my boss told me to "make him a program" and I just learned any commands I needed to know on google and stackoverflow

I started with c++ in uni, never coded before that, at first it was easy, the later parts took a lot of time and practice. The good thing is that now I can easily learn pretty much every language I want, it's just learning the different sintax and some minor details. It might be hard but starting out with c++ has great benefits, try torrenting some video courses from TPB, there are some that were quite useful for me

Attached: teach_me_cpp_senpai.jpg (1440x810, 155K)

You’re fucking retarded.

Start with either C or python. A lot depends on what kind of learning style you prefer. C is pretty good for learning from the ground up, python is the opposite. Either of them can be used with just a normal text editor like notepad, plus a compiler/interpreter if you want to keep things simple, or you can get a full blown IDE with a billion functions which might just be confusing, but also useful (even small stuff like showing line numbers can be helpful when you're reading error messages).

In general, you can use most of what you learn in one language in others, a lot of things are just easier to write in one language over another. Don't fret too much over what language you start with, just pick one and stick with it for a while. Maybe just see what tools and tutorials you can get ahold of and go with that.

I find Python to be a great starter language, because it's incredibly readable. It has issues just like every language, but overall it's one of my favorites, and it gets a lot of love from companies like Google. They're migrating to Go now (which I also love), but their use of Python proves it's very deep as a language while still in my mind being easy to pick up

I'm using the free version of code academy right now. It starts you with a short quiz to gauge your level and then gives lesson recommendations. Pretty good so far.

I started with BASIC and procedural C++ and I literally can't handle actual code because I never learned what the fuck an API call is or how objects work.

No semicolons, no thanks

If you're interested in the machine itself start out with C, otherwise Python. C++ is a good MasterBlaster if you want a high paying job, but you better be good.
Make sure that you understand problems and are able to find solutions "easily" - then putting them into code. If you're not a keen thinker programming sucks ass no matter what language.