Crippling job search anxiety

I'm a lawyer, and I need a job. I've not had a job outside the family business (and a brief stint doing freelance work), honestly since I was in undergrad. I've honestly had a fuckton of anxiety about this for a long time... and having a supportive family unfortunately means that I've been able to avoid my problem for far too long.

I've been looking on places like Indeed, found some promising potential jobs, but when it gets to the "get your resume, cover letter, writing sample, etc. together" phase, I just lock up and go do something else. In part, I'm terrified of fucking up if I do get a job. Seriously terrified that I'll make a stupid mistake in litigation and fuck a client over somehow. Of course, litigation is where I'm gonna find work (transactional shit is tough to find here, and they usually want years of experience)... and my background is probably best suited for litigation anyway.

That doesn't change that I just keep hitting this anxiety wall that I can't seem to push past. Can someone give me some advice on some way to approach this so I can manage it better? On some level, I recognize that I just need to buckle down and start applying to as many places as I can, but getting to that first step has seemed like an insurmountable barrier to me for far too long.

Attached: 1494628796796.jpg (634x755, 56K)

how did you manage to get through law school being the way you are

Law school is very different from applying for a job. That shit always came easily for me.

I'm taking my LSAT in June, and I'm starting to have second thoughts about being a lawyer, but just come up with templates for the resume and cover letter, so you can fill them out quickly

Yeah, I guess you're right. It shouldn't be that hard. I don't know why I keep hitting this barrier.

Good luck on the LSAT. Have you started taking practice tests?

Have you looked at none profits and even volunteer at free legal aid, just to be out there and seen working. I do tons of volunteer work and do my best, and I get tons of job offers by people that notice I actually give a shit.

I have. I took it in December and got a 159, but I've been averaging around 165 on my PTs. Still a good chance I choke though. What did you get on your LSAT OP?

My first take was a 162. I retook and got a 167. My best practice tests were in the low 170s, but I didn’t have another retake in me. I did get a decent scholly to my first choice (T1 in the upper 20s), despite having a shit UGPA.

If you can pull a 165 and your GPA is midrange you absolutely have a chance at getting in the low T14s at sticker, and T1s outside of the T14 with decent schollys (I had a 50% offer from a state school in the low 30s). As to whether you should even go to law school, that’s something for you to decide for yourself. Despite my problems, I don’t regret it. I’m certain, despite my confidence/anxiety/fear (or whatever this problem is), that I could pull a great job.

I have. Most legal work that I've seen isn't volunteer even if it's part of legal aid; they seem to want professionals. There are probably a few things out there though that might at least get me out of the house.

Veteran lawyer here. What makes you think you need a job? I haven't had one in 15 years and don't want one.

I could use the money, and would really like to work.

Maybe just fucking apply to places??

Read Foonberg’s book. Just go get clients.

I tried the solo thing, part of the problem is I just don't have the experience to litigate a lot of this shit. Like, I know how to file things, I can do some basic motion practice, I took trial advocacy in law school, and I'm a god when it comes to research. Those things I can do. Where I'm lacking is how to negotiate, knowing what a case is worth, the more strategic aspects of case management, and knowing when what I've written is good enough.

Last year was rough. Really rough. There was one case that settled that I still think I could've won a dismissal had I been more experienced. I just wanna put in a couple years someplace to get some more experience and have access to people who I can observe.

Bump

You have job search anxiety? I'm unskilled, unqualified. I'm 28 and never worked for anyone besides as my fathers helper on sites.

Yep I have job search anxiety. That I have an advanced degree doesn’t alleviate that.

I suppose it wouldn't. Though it certainly opens far more doors for you than not having one, doesn't it? My skills? Brute strength. That's about it. Dwindling job market for the likes of me. I could go back to college but at 28 I really don't want to go back to school. Though I might look into training to become strength and conditioning coach.

The hardest thing is taking the first step. Once you get over that hurdle, they become easier to deal with.

Yeah. I just don't know why the fuck that first hurdle has been such a problem for me.

Hey shut up! Once I get my advanced degree all of that will go away. Stop contradicting my daydreams, they're all I have!

Yeah... wish it were that easy. If you’re in grad school now, become the biggest pest at the school’s career development office is all I can say. Wish I’d done that myself.