Silly question but when people say you shouldn't let political ideology differences ruin a friendship...

Silly question but when people say you shouldn't let political ideology differences ruin a friendship, what do they mean? I mean if you have different ideas about something "important" like whether an ex president was a criminal, or about abortion rights, whatever, should you not talk about it in case it breaks the friendship? Should you say what you think and assume the other person will "agree to disagree"? Or should you pretend to agree with your friend?

Attached: nickay.jpg (724x781, 35K)

Be objective and not a pompous twat about it as long as the other person can do the same

Civil war 2.0 is coming bud, time to take those friends and realize they were enemies the whole time and if you can't accept that then feel proud you die with your friends.

If you have sufficient reasons to like each other anyway, you agree to disagree on this one point and never talk about it

Please take this discussion to /pol.

holy shit Alex Jones I didn't know you posted here

What it means is that you can completely disagree yet still discuss it and not have it affect your relationship. Basically you are both mentally well adults not dysfunctional children in adult body's.

Agreeing with this.

I see, thanks for the replies.
So if a person gets offended by me having a different idea about a subject, as long as I don't force my idea onto them, it means they are a bad friend, right?
I guess I'm specifically asking because a close friend invited me to some Catholic event today. She really wants me to go. The event asks you to bring something "light blue" and coincidentally that's the pro-life color in my country, so I suspect they will be taking photos of people with some pro-life hashtag. I'm pro-choice and my friend is pro-life. I'm not terribly passionate about the subject, I'm not going to go and debate random people about it or anything, but I don't feel completely comfortable wearing something for a cause I disagree with. I don't have anything light blue anyway so I will try to go to the event without wearing something in that color.

This. As long as you're both adults with similar interests and complimentary personalities, disagreement about politics shouldn't be a source of problems.

The only issue comes from personality clashes that would mean you probably wouldn't want to be friends with a person anyway.

(it's a pentecost event by the way, not explicitly an anti-abortion event)

Depends on the specifics. If you're both reasonable people then you can discuss it and agree to disagree. If they're the kind of person who feels personally attacked by you disagreeing, leaving the matter altogether can be the only way.

Pro-choice should include the choice of being pro-life otherwise its not pro-choice or about having a choice at all.

Being pro life means being against women having a choice, idiot

That would kind of create a loop that contradicts itself.
>I think you can choose to decide that I can't choose that you can choose

>pro life means what leftists tell me it means
Pro-choice is pro choice which includes the choice of not having a choice otherwise is not pro-choice. They shouldn't have pretended people have a choice when they don't want them to.
Yes its creates a loop where people are allowed to have a choice, a actual choice not a only if you believe what I believe """choice""".

>which includes the choice of not having a choice
What? No, pro choice means exactly that you can choose whether or not to abort. It doesn't mean you don't get to choose what your ideals are.
Otherwise you could say that just about every single political idea means that no one else can have a different idea.
If pro choice is not a real choice then neither is pro life. Pro life people are against people who are pro choice, they don't want people to choose "either".

Talk about it if asked (but not if asked too often), don't pretend. Don't feel like judgements on issues that need a person to combine many different angles are important, or issues where it's common for almost everybody to lack complete information. Those might not be trivial issues, but arguing about them with a single person isn't useful or important. Be aware of the other persons emotional responses.

No it means you can choose not to choose. Calling it pro-choice and not allowing choice is pro-only-this-viewpoint not choice.

That's so fucking stupid Idk why I bother debating you on this. I mean it's not rocket science.
-Pro life = I decide that no one can abort
-Pro choice = I decide that people can choose to abort or to not abort
You can think whatever you want either way, because the issue is not about people's right to have a thought, it's about people's right to abort. It's not about the "choice to think", it's about the "choice to abort". Pro life people don't allow a choice either anyway if we go by what you say.

I feel like it's a legitimate question for today's millennial. Kids these days are so "involved" in politics that they have some opinion on whatever hot topics are relevant and they seem to want to discuss them openly with people. The problem is they don't know how to be subtle about it so it's always in your face and turns hostile pretty quickly because they get too emotional.

Personally as an oldfag, I don't ever discuss politics with people. There are a few things I never discuss with people like their marital problems and so I just literally say I'd rather not talk about the subject. Of course they press you, and I again tell them I'd rather not talk about it. Unfortunately when it comes to political or social issues when you say you don't want to talk about it they tend to take that as you hold the opposite view as them but just don't want to say it. To that point, I don't care if they want to make assumptions because I know making assumptions makes an ass out of people. So the take away is to not really care if someone is going to make petty assumptions about you. That's not someone I associate with then.

>I decide that no one
Delusions of grandeur, you "decide" what other people are allowed to do but somehow refer to it as choice and argue that is choice.

You don't get it. How am I deciding what people have to do if I decide they can choose to do whatever? Again, the choice is not about their thought, it's ONLY about abortion.
Otherwise we could argue that literally nothing in life is a choice.
Pro choice doesn't mean you can choose to be firmly against abortion, it means you can choose to abort or not abort. There IS a choice but it's about abortion, not about something else.

Yah that sounds like good advice although I might rather say "I don't have a formed opinion on the subject yet" sometimes. Either way young people will always think it's a cop out and find literally any reason they can to make it into a fight because people love to play the victim.

Pro-choice is often okay with people being pro-life, as long as their pro-life ideas don't get in the way of other people having their own choice. On the contrary, pro-life people expect everyone to be pro-life.

>pro-choice means
Not being allowed to decide what I want to choose, how is that choice.
>on the contrary, pro -life people expect
That's wrong though, some are like that and worse, they try to make it illegal. It's definitely not all or most.

It's a choice because you get to choose to abort or to not abort, dumb retard.
I bet you go to a shop that sells frying pans, the person there says you can choose which one to buy and you reply "but you are not letting me choose the color of my hair, how is that a choice!?"

I believe in actual choice, not only if you believe-what-i-believe choice. The insults from you are because you can't stand someone having a different opinion, you're close minded.

You are just afraid of women having sexual and reproductive rights.