Hey Jow Forums

hey Jow Forums
should i plagiarize for a school paper

Attached: 1526714572871.png (246x205, 8K)

Depends. If you're in HS then maybe. If you're in university don't risk it, the consequences are pretty bad if they find out.

How about paraphrasing instead?
There are plagiarism checkers so it probably isn't a great idea, but if you're feeling lucky you can try.

Depends.
Why are you cheating?
What is your situation?
It all depends on that.

Where I studied, many times is really justificable to cheat on an exam, copy work from someone from another year, that sort of thing. Also, is not uncommon for teachers to be ok/expect cheating.

Yes, my university was fucked up.

if i got another paper and submitted it just with all the sentences slightly changed wouldnt that still count as plagiarism?
im considering it just because i can. there's someone who was in my class last year thats willing to give me their papers for me to copy.

im worried that the teacher will think my paper sounds familiar and go back and check the papers of previous years

>im considering it just because i can
Coming from a guy who will proudly talk about all the times I cheated, and even considers passing on a course where he cheated several times one of the greatest achievements of his life, you should know that "just because i can" is a stupid ass motive.

If you can do it properly, do it properly.

how does one do it properly?

Attached: 1526714776850.png (299x250, 26K)

Nothing wrong with plagiarizing, so long as you write it in your own words, and structure it differently.

thats what im thinking of doing. im not stupid enough to hand in the exact same paper as someone else.

>how does one do it properly?
If you can do it without cheating, do it without cheating.
If you need to cheat, don't get caught.

But really, I get the overall vibe that you shouldn't copy the paper. That is what my spider senses tell me. And again, I have cheated through my entire degree, so its not like I'm on a high horse or anything.

why do you have the vibe that i shouldn't copy? do you think ill get caught?

Don't. Everywhere uses turnitin now, and that shit is GOOD. You are almost guaranteed to get caught unless you put in so much work rewriting that you might as well have written something on your own in the first place.

And like the other user says, the consequences are dire. You can and will get keelhauled for that shit when you get caught.

>why do you have the vibe that i shouldn't copy? do you think ill get caught?
I consider myself a veteran in this shit. My graduation took me 6 long fucking years. I copied work, I cheated on exams, I had my name put on group works without even knowing about it. I've done it all. I could go on and derail this thread detailing all the shit I pulled off during my time in university.

Trust me, I'm not an amateur.

But most of the time I cheated, I did it because that was what I needed to do. My university was a cheat show, and I honestly think the correct way to go to graduation there is to cheat every once in a while. Hell, sometimes even the teacher giving you the exam expects you to cheat on that shit.

However, the only reason you said so far is "because i can". That's, in my opinion, a crap reason to cheat, despite of the risks. Do the damn paper. Learn from it... maybe the subject is shit and doesn't add anything, but at least you will learn a valuable lesson that is to be able to do pointless shit just because you have to. That is my honest opinion.

Also, please have some goddamn dignity. I never got caught, but I always hated those who did and then tried to deny it.

How about dropping out and getting a job instead? Don't waste your time and money if you're going to cheat yourself.

im fairly certain my teachers dont use turnitin. ive never heard of it.
i dont agree but i get what you mean, thanks
considering it.

>he thinks university is for learning
At this point, a college degree is like a Louis Vuitton bag. Means absolute shit, but it gives you status.

OP, if by plagiarizing you mean copying textually, don't. Like this user said Turnitin is pretty good. That said, if you rewrite "in your own" words, its impossible for any AI (not even a human) to find out. Its like when you look for lyrics in Google - maintain the meaning but change the words a bit, and you won't be able to find the song. Also, plausible deniability is always good. As long as it goes further than "rings strangely similar," you should be okay.

yeah im not stupid enough to copy anything word for word, i plan on rewriting it. i was mostly worried about the likelihood of someone realising its copied. thanks

>im fairly certain my teachers dont use turnitin. ive never heard of it.
Trust me, they use it. It's not something only used by a few schools. Virtually all of them use it.
>That said, if you rewrite "in your own" words, its impossible for any AI (not even a human) to find out.
Right. This is sorta why I said before that if you're gonna do enough to defeat both AI and human checking (which WILL catch close paraphrasing), you'll wind up spending as much time as you would doing the paper properly.

It's just not fucking worth it.

maybe in america but not where I live. from what i can tell you need to submit your work online to use it but most of my papers i just hand in physically on paper.

and do you think a person checking would recognize paraphrasing from a paper they marked a year ago?

Holy shit, you're using something that was submitted to that same teacher only one year ago???
I hope you use plenty of lube.

: ( i mean it wasn't super well written and the teacher marks tons of papers each year. do you honestly think its that likely that they'll notice?

do you think the tutor dont check for plagerized work?
>>you are a fucken bonehead

>it wasn't super well written
Why in the fuck would you ever copy a paper that got less than an A?

It doesn't matter what level of school you're in, you could completely bullshit the entire assignment and get a B- with very little effort.

im copying another paper that was submitted, and they're not on some online database so its not that easy to check. to check for plagiarized work theyd have to find the specific paper i copied and compare the two

>you could completely bullshit the entire assignment and get a B- with very little effort.
not everyone's as smart as you user : (

Seriously you fucking nigger?
Just write your fucking paper, how hard could it possibly be?

What is it? Sociology 101?

gib stories

Attached: moar.png (291x400, 195K)

i might just end up doing that. i was just considering it because i had the opportunity.

Attached: 1526715193241.png (876x400, 116K)

>and they're not on some online database so its not that easy to check
There's a 90+% chance that Turnitin has it in their database.

>i was just considering it because i had the opportunity.
You won't save any time, you won't get a better grade, and you risk putting everything you've done so far into question just because you had an "opportunity."

There are opportunities that aren't worth it. This is one of them.

the paper was submitted physically not electronically. how would you get a physical paper onto a electronic database?

Scanned in for a plagiarism check. You have no idea how the real world works do you?

not really no. I didn't even think that was possible.

Best thing you can do is find a report in another language, then translate it while also modifying the sentence structure and words. Chances are high you won't get busted that way. Btw I had a couple of senile teacher whom I just handed in work from a classmate that handed his in the weel before I did, and they didn't even notice. Step up your game

im getting really mixed signals on whether getting away with it is difficult or not

Professor writing here.

Paraphrasing is still plagiarism. You're passing someone else's ideas off as your own.

Yes, there is a very good chance the professor will recognize an old paper.

Even more, if he/she has seen any of your work, they'll recognize a sudden change in quality or style.

Personally, in almost every case of plagiarism I've found, it was not that I recognized the source, but that I spotted "This student didn't write this."

Another point to consider. Write your own paper and do a lousy job, and the worst case scenario is that you might fail the course. Plagiarize and get caught and that is the absolute best you can hope for

Haha, oh wow

>be me
>studying computer science
>need to hand im a code for class, need grade
>get the code from someone from previous years
>dont really bother chamging anything
>decide to just add my own comments on the code since teacher expects that
>do that for about 20% of the code, get tired
>few the rest of the code with "// comment later"
>got 10 with a comment from teacher
>"user you need to work on your comments in the code"
>lulz