Met bf online like 3 years ago

>met bf online like 3 years ago
>im from the states, he's from new zealand
>he visited the states and stayed with me for three months, now im in nz staying with him
>my visitor's visa expires on the 30th of may
>have applied for an extension so i don't have to leave my bf in a week
>immigration is not fucking processing it fast enough so i might have to leave next week anyway

If we get married (which we want to do anyway, we just didn't think it would happen in a situation like this) would they have to let me stay, or is that just bullshit you see in the movies? I really don't want to leave, we have a little life here together and it would suck to be apart for another few months :(

>inb4 "ldr don't work out" that's why we're trying to stay together >:(

Attached: 2233E611-D4CF-44B4-8737-14CDE6D491CF.jpg (400x400, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

govt.nz/browse/nz-passports-and-citizenship/getting-nz-citizenship/nz-citizenship-if-youre-marrying-a-kiwi/
visabureau.com/australia/eta-australia-faqs.aspx
immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/general-information/section-61-visa
twitter.com/AnonBabble

stay even though your visa is expired?
simple

govt.nz/browse/nz-passports-and-citizenship/getting-nz-citizenship/nz-citizenship-if-youre-marrying-a-kiwi/

This literally took me two seconds to find on google.......... just sayin

Some countries let you just cross the border and come back. Don't know if NZ is one of them.

If that's not allowed, then I wouldn't stay. Potential consequences to overstaying a visa can be severe. Imagine not being allowed to come back to NZ ever again. Doesn't a month or two of separation seem worth it in comparison?

>Some countries let you just cross the border and come back. Don't know if NZ is one of them.
Given that New Zealand is literally a bunch of islands, take a guess.

Yes well obviously in this case the equivalent would be taking a short flight to Oz and back, versus returning to the States.

Then you'd have to deal with immigration in Australia.

Getting an ETA 601 should be instantaneous online. visabureau.com/australia/eta-australia-faqs.aspx

What's the point if she still can't get back into New Zealand?

And to answer your question OP, no, getting married now won't let you stay in the country. You probably won't even be able to get married in that short of a timeframe.

>What's the point if she still can't get back into New Zealand?
The point is that might reset the three-month clock. It does in some countries. Maybe NZ is one of them. She should look into it before trying it obviously.

The other thing is even if that doesn't work (from my random googling it seems that might not work), the three-month extension might come through. It might be cheaper to stay in Australia for a bit to see if the NZ extension goes through, rather than go all the way to the USA.

But really, OP, you should have done this research months ago.

Don't come to Australia we have enough fucking kiwis already

Lucky for you she's American.

For you

Stay anyway. Get married and then after it takes them years and years to realise what's happened you'll have been in NZ long enough to stay permanently. My best friend was in the exact same situation and it worked for him and his now wife.

Good for him. I personally wouldn't risk being deported and unable to come back.
immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/general-information/section-61-visa

Don't overstay. Go to Oz to wait until it clears.

Me parents got a green card marriage, it lasted 20+ years with 3 kids, still ended horribly though and they where unhappy for a minimum of 8 years

Just sayin

Stay and do what? You can't get a job, you can't get welfare, you can't study.

What is she even supposed to do there?

Take a vacation? Hell, she could go to Oz with her bf.

With what money? She can't really earn, and she can't stay there. She's presumably in her 20s, so she won't have many savings. She has a life back in the US, she has nothing in Australia. At least in NZ she had a place to stay with her boyfriend.

If she overstays in NZ she is likely to get deported and might never be allowed back in. Not worth it.

I didn't say she should stay in NZ. I said she shouldn't go to Australia.

Watch "Like Crazy"

Marriage isn't an instant free visa, you still need to apply.
It is easier if people are married because you fit a category the government can understand, but it doesn't fix all your problems.
If you want to get married anyway, do it fast so things can happen.
Postponing because society wants you to live alone is not sensible.