Math

Yo guys, i have problem finding the correct answers to this 9th grade question. How do i get to the answer and what do i have to remember to always get there?

Attached: im dumb so explain me how and why.png (268x244, 12K)

Just use pythagora theorem to determine AZ and then 112/168=AZ/ZD

Don’t get me wrong, but nowhere does it say that any of the triangles is a right triangle, neither does it say that they are similar triangles (same angles, proportional sides). At least in the croquis.

Maybe I’m missing some info here, due to different notation being used than the one I’m used to (and the fact that I don’t know what a 9th grade is)

2 triangles are similar
-> proportion of sides is equal

AB/ZB = CZ/CD (1)
-> CD is calculated

From similar triangles also
-> AB/AZ = ZD/CD (2)

ABCD is a trapeziod
->The diagonals cut each other in mutually the same ratio (from wiki, trapeziod)
->AZ/ZD = BZ/CZ (3)

From 2. and 3. eq you can calculate it.
(2 equation for 2 unknown)

i still dont get the value of the lenghts ZD and ZA, what am i doing wrong?

Attached: the infos so far.png (1075x654, 76K)

112/68 = 98/CD = ZA/ZD

112/168 = 98/147 = ZA/ZD , or in other words: 2/3 = 2/3 = ZA/ZD ... how is that helpful ?

Cant you use soh cah toa to get all the angles then just keep using it to get all the sides?
-t mathlet

How is AB shorter than ZB? This problem makes me feel very stupid.

picture not to scale

Well the law of sines since we can't assume AD perpendicular BC.
We do assume AD and BC are straight, but that's a fair assumption given the diagram imo. But OP pic is shit with that color fuckery, can't see anything.

>picture not to scale
Then you can't do it. Everything will just be a guess.

Attached: without colours but with all the neccessary infos.png (725x492, 22K)

i tried to construct this pile of sht with geo gebra. this should be to scale now. doing this gives me the answers i assume, but how do i calculate them with geometry ?

Attached: geogebra construction.png (844x365, 45K)

Isn't Pythagoras the easy way out?

Attached: pythagoras.png (268x244, 15K)

This ain't no ninth grade problem I ever saw. Monitoring thread 'cause I ain't got shit as to how to do this.

So what are the lenghts BM[BA] and DM[DC] ?
actually, i already found the answer: the solution finding move is AD/DC = BZ/BA --> AZ = 67,2 --> ZD =100,8 ; correct me if i am wrong...

How do you figure AD/DC = BZ/BA

You only use pythagorean theorem when you have right triangles. I take that problem to mean you're doing algebra in class, correct?

Hehe wait until you go do higher math and get introduced to proofs, that's really going to determine if you have the chops for math bud.

So how the fuck do you do it Mr. Math.

Scratch that, from the symbols it looks like you're dealing with geometry? The || means parallel right? The lines above ZD and ZA mean line segments?

is that g(A,B), g(C,D) supposed to be a function of g? Not sure what that notation means.

How do you know they're similar, what sides have the same length? We don't know the angles from either.

think of a linear function g(x) that goes through points A and B and u basically get g(A,B)...think of a linear function h(x) II g(x) with A ∈ h and u get p(A,g) as a notation..... i think this notation style only comes in handy in Geometry and NOT in Algebra or Analysis.. The intercept theorem tells u that. Even better, try to rotate The triangle ZBA 180° to visualize it for urself, it should be obvious.

How can you tell these are similar triangles though, their angles are unknown and we need at least the length of CD to know for sure. The parallel lines do seem to imply you can make a trapezoid if you connect AC and BD though.

OP, make sure you tell whoever gave you this problem that they're fucking retarded if that pic is all the information they gave you.

The lines AB and CD are parallel. The angles opposite to them in the respective triangles are equal (intersection of lines):

>angle(BZA) = angle(CZD)

Similarly, since the lines are parallel, the ratios of the sides formed by the intersecting lines are the same, i.e:

>BZ/ZC = AZ/ZD

Since two sides and the angle they form are similar:

>BZ/ZC and ZA/ZD
>angle(BZA) = angle(CZD)

The triangles they form are similar.

>triangle(AZB) ~ triangle(DZC)

hi i am OP, i already found the solution to this problem. AD/DC = BZ/BZ as i mentioned earlier is the key. They gave all the infos that were needed actually, i ain't even mad even tho i spent like 4h on this problem xd, all cool now

Attached: solution i hope.png (664x539, 512K)