Feeling like you're too much of an intellectual

Maybe I'm a total sperglord autist or something. But I find most people today can't hold their own in a conversation. I haven't yet met anyone, even in academia that can present their stance and viewpoints in such a way that could lead into a really fruitful and engaging conversation. It usually leads to something like

>hey what do you think of the new Battlefield: V game and how feminism has seem to leech into video games and society today?
video games are bad for you and make people fat
>wait, not all video games are bad and have been proven to be beneficial to people and allow socializing for people otherwise would have problems doing so. I think as educated individuals, we should be able to hold a conversation about this...
WHY ARE YOU CALLING ME DUMB AND STUPID YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE
>I'm not saying that, I'm saying why can't we just have a topic of discussion as adults without-
YOU ARE SUCH AN ASSHOLE

Maybe its women in general, or people in general, maybe it's me being totally autistic. But have you ever had the feeling there's really only a few people today that can present what they have learned from life or education in general and have a good conversation? I like Jow Forums for this reason because its a place where people like us can just talk without fear of reprisal due to the anonymity.

Maybe it's the difference between normies and people like me

Attached: 815UdPA5xfL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1001, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1Dtbz2hYCne
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>"I'm too intellectual"
>gives an example talking about video games and feminism
Yeah I don't think intellectualism is your problem.

Obvious bait aside I have a feeling you partially believe this to be true.

Basically you're not nearly as smart as you think you are, and focusing on small things that make you feel smart is your way of coping with being inferior.

Quite simply no-one cares enough to have "intellectual discussions" With some random fuck about dumb shit.

People are going to talk about things superficially because
1. It's not like people prepare arguments and well thought out platforms to discuss their favorite video games. They like dark souls because it's fun, you acting all pretentious about it makes you an annoying person to talk to when they just want to talk about their favorite level.
2. People don't give a shit about some deep semantic argument. More than likely you're the type that uses a well defined term that normal people use differently than the actual definition then hold them to the real definition despite everyone knowing what they really meant when they said something.
3. People aren't going to talk about politically or socially charged subjects in public because they're not autistic and realize they need to hold back so a pointless emotionally charged argument doesn't spring up. Case in point
>feminism leeches into my video games!
Clearly you're not objective about it and neither will anyone else be.

I just used the common video game debate as an example.

I'm talking about just small-talk or conversations in general. Maybe I am inferior or maybe people really just don't give a fuck. It's more like people who choose to just remain in blissful ignorance of the world and choose not to talk about certain topics or most topics in general.

vocaroo.com/i/s1Dtbz2hYCne

Attached: 1451186531757.gif (294x233, 2.33M)

Thank you, I think this is what I am getting wrong. I seek to find others who can present their arguments in any way to validate my existing assumptions about the world.

Perhaps I do need to step back and just start getting interested in others. But I find, if people can't even come up with things they are interested by, or things and thoughts that form a human being or make them unique in their own way, how could I be interested in a brick wall?

Maybe I'm too aggressive and forceful and get frustrated when I feel like I'm the only one who likes to have an opinion and voice about the world at large? I find this difficult to believe that I can't seem to meet them around.

Attached: 1446784678143.gif (400x300, 1.64M)

>listening to the vocaroo brainlet

Attached: 1-1.jpg (1124x632, 286K)

There's a time and a place for everything. 99% of people are better than you at some thing or another, and given the platform they could infodump you and explain everything about their area of expertise. But that isn't the point of small talk, it's to fill the time and create a simple distraction usually while doing other things.

If you want to have some deep discussion make friends with people, get some beer and start talking for a fee hours. I've had some great discussions with friends about terrorists and why Syria is a fuckhole and why their opinions about it is stupid. But it's because we knew each other and it was a set aside time specifically to talk about these things for fun. Random people aren't going to be doing that.

I'm trying to be open-minded here. So I accept these conversations as valid.

I think that's it too. Maybe people aren't ready to deep conversations when really they just want the regular mundane. But even in university, where I feel is a great place for intellectual pursuit education, study and a forum for conversation- woefully devoid of ACTUAL HUMAN BEINGS with unique brain processes and thought who are capable to distinguishing conversation from offensive statements.

I find Europeans and British or people international- have more rational understanding of current events. Here in the USA- (perhaps its just my own location or environment in general that's doing this) I find there is little to be found in terms of other people with an inquisitive mind.

Attached: DHk1rg9XYAAHck0.jpg (226x223, 6K)

My god you are a pretentious motherfucker, aren't you?

That's why I say maybe I am a pretentious sperglord autist and I don't even know it. I suppose we can agree on that.

But that's not it, I don't think I'm better than others- not at all. I feel like people just don't like deep conversations at all and I so very much enjoy those debates and friendly discussion. But the user earlier was right in that maybe you really have to make friends with them first before they share the more intimate side of their mindset and personality.

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong and just assuming people are so willfully accepting and understanding when it comes to sharing their innermost thoughts and thought processes.

How do you expect intellectual conversations when you can't read my posts.

There's a time and a place for it. Random people at school is not the time or place, school is a forum for intellectual discussion in certain aspects, but it's not for anything anywhere. Talk to a cs person about a cs problem and they'll get into it because their mind is crammed full if it. Talk to them about north Korea nuke summit and they won't know or care about anything other than superficial details because they're fucking busy.
But go to a political science class and you can bet everyone would be happy to share.
Go to a model UN club and they'll love it.

Attached: 60FAF88BC0414E00B6BF578FA3CF30CC.jpg (643x521, 449K)

>That's why I say maybe I am a pretentious sperglord autist and I don't even know it. I suppose we can agree on that.

yeah, probably are. Its not a crime, and op didn't come to Jow Forums for help on making friends.

To the point of the OP, most people don't tend toward introspection. They just don't. It either doesn't serve them or interest them.

My sister is objectively smarter than my mother in most manners, but myself and my mother are super introspective and are much more capable of engaging in dynamic conversation, because my smart sister is disinterested in such explorations.

It sucks if you're getting attacked for engaging in discourse, and if that happens once in a while, just take it as a lesson to avoid that person more generally.

But if its happening more often than just the exception, even by 1 or 2 more examples, that you keep getting jumped on, then you should examine the possibility that you are engaging in asshole behavior that you're glossing over in OP.

Yes I agree with your sentiment. Normally, people aren't so accepting of deep conversations because they can't be arsed to do it due to their life constraints or just willful disregard for certain things.

I guess that is also why I like Jow Forums- you can leave an original post and people will respond if they feel it is the right time and place to share their thoughts about the topic at hand. Compared to real-life socializing where there are certain rulesets and cues to follow where timing is of utmost importance. I'm not implying I go up to random people and just start spouting nonsense about things I've learned like government-backed behavior-altering weaponry engineering or data mining activity by major tech corporations.

Just in general. Even in small-talk. I suppose most people would rather not disclose their opinions about the world. But aren't such things and thoughts what makes us human in the first place? I may as well be next to a fleshbag, muttering gibberish as it is vacant of an actual individual soul. I hold artists and philosophical people of high regard because they actually just stop and think, maybe even challenge the status quo with how they live. At least they are alive in my opinion. Sometimes even I feel dead inside because I would have to hide my interest and excitement of the world around me for fear that I would be out of the social norm. :/

Attached: f69.png (479x376, 297K)

It's the first thing that came to your mind, so that speaks volumes. If you were actually smart you wouldn't be ranting about feminism in videogames. Perhaps you should try hanging out with intelligent people and listen to what they talk about instead of being a sperg and trying to hijack the conversation.

After talking with you for like 30 minutes I've already come to the conclusion you are unironically a pretentious tool. I have no doubt so does everyone else who talks to you which is no doubt a driving cause behind your problem.
And yes it does come off even if you don't realize it in real life.

>It's the first thing that came to your mind, so that speaks volumes.
Yep, this. OP is a confirmed autist. The whole reason he's not having engaging, intellectual conversation is because the intellectuals walk away when he opens his mouth, and the only people left are idiots (i.e., people like him).

What makes you think you are intelligent? What do you have to show for it? What have you accomplished so far in your life with your intelligence?

I chose it because BF:V just came out with a new trailer and my friends were irate about the cover featuring a female. It led to a discussion about feminism in general and feminism in video games. I'm not trying to assume anything otherwise :V

I swear I'm not trying to be a pretentious tool at all haha and I'm sorry if I come across as such. I don't purposefully hijack conversations at all- quite the contrary, I try my best to be respectful and listen to people's opinions and thoughts.

I just feel I lack that kind of socializing in my life. Deep, meaningful conversations with vibrant individuals where we can share ideas and thoughts about the world in the few years we have existed in this reality. I wish we, as individuals today wouldn't hold such introspection with disgust. I struggle with finding meaning in my life every single day and those small talk with other existing human beings can make my whole week because I am satiated with the fact that we aren't alone at all in this universe.

The more general problem is that your example of a subject of "intellectual discourse" is a mainstream video game.

You're not just pretentious, you're just as stupid as the people you're shitting on.

That's not it, I don't have a problem making friends and shooting the breeze. I just feel everyday conversations lack that love, that intimacy in getting to know a different soul in favor of more lackluster, even nonsensical small-talk. But I don't wish to be spouting-off wannabe intellectual talk either, just more profound meaning in life.

I don't think I am. I mean in a way that we should have more introspective conversation in our daily lives and daily socializing with other people instead of just talking about obscenities or garbage topics. More meaningful conversation.

Attached: 1451233968993.jpg (380x355, 20K)

>I just feel everyday conversations lack that love, that intimacy in getting to know a different soul in favor of more lackluster, even nonsensical small-talk. But I don't wish to be spouting-off wannabe intellectual talk either, just more profound meaning in life.
See pic related.
Also you have to be at least 18 to post here.

Attached: 1526900634614.jpg (249x202, 8K)

Okay well I feel too embarrassed to share my thoughts now or ask for advice about how I should interact with others regarding my desire to share more meaningful conversations with other people. Please forgive me if my language comes across as disingenuous. It is not my primary language.

Everything about you screams pretentious tool.
Just to keep things simple. In your first post, an example of deep and meaningful conversations was
>feminists are ruining my videos games
1. This isn't a topic literally anyone outside of /v/ ever has. If you wanted to talk video game drama you'd talk about EA and microtransactions.
2. It's fucking video games. It's a toy there's nothing deep or meaningful about any of it.

Then in your own defense which supposedly portrays you in the morally correct view you belittle the other person for being uneducated and stupid. You don't imply it either, you directly state it like a over compensating shit lord.

Not only that in every post you make you try to make things seem bigger and more verbose than they are. This doesn't make you come off as smart, it makes you pretentious.

Opinions on video games are not opinions about the world, they're just opinions. Opinions about anything aren't opinions about the world.

It doesn't matter how respectful (you're not) you are, you're clearly a pompous individual who thinks way to highly of himself and no-one is going to deal with that.

>Okay well I feel too embarrassed to share my thoughts now or ask for advice
Good. Please leave.

You are keen. The thread indeed was from /v/ and the people who are mad about the trailer mostly shitpost there.

I guess you are right. Maybe I do think too highly of myself and are too condescending on others because of my shit attitude. I needed that third-person perspective and change the way I think because yes, there are smarter and more successful people around and it's unfair and not wise to assume they don't exist.

OP, you're probably no older than 16. It's okay, we all were pretentious dumb shits too when we were kids.

I will admit that I feel my social skills do indeed belong to a 16 year old.

It took some third degree from user here on Jow Forums to put me in my place for me to realize I really just have a shitty attitude. I'm nowhere near as "intellectual" or bigger than I actually believe I am. Social isolation can really wreak havoc on your inner mindset when you lack those interactions with people where you can bounce off ideas to keep your reality in check and grounded in the world.

I agree with you OP and I’ve been in the same shoes you are currently in.

It’s that itching for a deeper level of conversation yet every topic you talk to certain people about just sits on the topic. They don’t have the mind to expand on basic concepts.

Don’t let these comments dissuade you, seek humans you question everything. These comments are here to put you down, they don’t see what you’re trying to convey instead calling you pretentious for stating the people you surround yourself with are of lower intelligence.

Eventually with time you find people who will match your level. It’s like that with my best friend, we can speak for hours and make the most benign concepts interesting. You just need to know where to look. Some humans tunnel themselves and only know a lot about a certain concept. Some humans understand and can provide an interesting aspect on many concepts. Those are the types you need to strive and find. High energy types that are only on this earth to continue their seek for knowledge, not the brain dead people who spend hours mindlessly browsing through Instagram.

Attached: BEEFBB63-9C32-41A4-BDF6-04DAB0C18D43.jpg (1242x1113, 102K)

Sorry for the grammar mistakes. iPhone shit the bed. Meant some people always keep the conversation on the surface and that’s what annoys you. I’ve been there.

Others say it’s about time and place and while I agree ... you can still see it happening even if the place is right. You just need to surround yourself with curious minds.

>feminism has seem to leech into video games and society today

holy shit you're gay as fuck. Jesus fucking christ you're a fag my god do you really think people give a fuck about your gay as fuck le edgy right wing politics? actually neck yourself

>even in academia
that's because i don't care about your autistic questioning on trivial shit when i got projects to work on, find out where the fuck am i going to work IN THE FIELD during summer and study for upcoming exams

in short the incoming shitstorm deserves more attention than autistic subjects
if you want to start a discussion it should be about getting work experience, what are the conditions at different companies, etc.

Your head's up your ass, OP. You're a pretentious fuck who LARPs as some sort of intellectual/gentleman because you want to have people you can perceive as lesser. At the end of the day you're doing nothing but bitching about muh video games on Jow Forums, but this time with a thesaurus. I hope you don't act like this in real life as well, you probably annoy people pretty quickly if you keep this shtick up.

Attached: kurisu.jpg (471x469, 43K)

I feel that most people ish to only talk about banal/pleasure stuff most of the time and dont like the talks about analysis/deconstruction or debate about a concept, perspective, perception or situation.

Although i dont like to generalize as i believe there are persons that prefer that type of talks/discussions and its not bad that people prefer other talks.

Personally i dont find enjoyment on talking about banal stuff it feels empty for me, but i respect other people so even if we dont have anything in common i dont mind interacting with them, although it feels weird sometimes.

;^)

>ish
*wish