Why is auto racing gradually losing popularity in the US? This is a great tradition going back almost a century...

Why is auto racing gradually losing popularity in the US? This is a great tradition going back almost a century, but fewer and fewer younger people are getting involved with racing. A lot of local tracks have actually closed since the 90's, and others aren't doing well. Racing track memberships are generally down. Why are today's young people allowing these racing traditions - which are important culturally, not just as a form of entertainment - to die?

Attached: Derby car.jpg (1158x719, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/F2BILMQHZ6A
youtube.com/watch?v=tllRia3b8X8
youtube.com/watch?v=9TJAReie7zc
youtube.com/watch?v=rmqFXPPOH98
youtube.com/watch?v=6QGKVxu1IZc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because modern engines are hard to work on and our dad's have white collar jobs and we don't know how to do shit

Nailed it...

Because most of them are faggots who sit inside all day and get scared by loud noises. That and they hardly have any money.

>I'm gonna go 'round the track real fast and keep turnin' to the left

Attached: download (84).jpg (300x168, 9K)

It's because the engines being used in american closed wheel racing are already outdated, and manufacturers don't want to make those.

Because back then things were good, entertainment had its place.
Now things shit,everyone trying to survive and not lose the house.
Things are shit no matter how you look at them so, why would I spend time watching fun racing when I'd better spending it learning new trade.

If I had to guess.
Less disposable income.
The supply of cheap, viable vehicles for entry level racing is dwindling, disposable and well built shitboxes of the 90's and even early 2000's are now becoming collectible.
Absolute failures of fathers who don't even teach their children how to change a tire, let alone build or race a shitbox.
Literally no where to keep, let alone wrench on a car for most people in built up cities.

so what do you find entertaining?

Cars/Insurance/Gasoline is far more expensive these days. You can't work for a summer and buy a decent car with race potential.

>Now things shit,everyone trying to survive and not lose the house

Pretty much this. Life just isn't fun anymore.

It’s just too damn expensive. Post 2000 Cars are too expensive to maintain and race for anyone who’s not on an actual 6-8 figure a year racing team.

car companies have made it impossible for you to work on your new car. ((they)) will always try to take your freedom away.

>Why is auto racing gradually losing popularity in the US?
Because it's the stupidest dullest bullshit ever. Watching cars go around a track all fucking is so goddamn boring who can stand watching this shit? Its also super wasteful.

1.) It's expensive, especially in amateur circuits without massive corporate sponsorship

2.) Open-wheel racing is better

That's exactly it, money.

Everyone has less and less disposable income as Globalism sinks it's claws into the west.

And cars are my hobby, it's just getting more expensive than it ever has been.

racing is expensive no matter what level you do it at

people just don't have time/energy/money these days

If you compare new car prices to wages, the number of hours one must work to afford a car has risen significantly. The barrier to entry on the hobby keeps going up.

It is the bad side of cars getting nicer and more reliable.

Reading great literature, playing classical piano, chasing women, playing soccer, promoting capitalism and nationalism online, going to events in the city. Am chad-lite

You forgot the most important and very overlooked part-
>among two dozen other cars doing the same thing as we all fight for first place
People who don't understand THAT, can never understand any form of racing. And people who can't understand racing, are bitches. Full stop.

Attached: JeremyClarkson.jpg (468x392, 33K)

>turn left at varying speeds

It's not about watching race cars. Real car people own cars they street race, autocross, and drag race like me, because it's actually extremely fun and rewarding.

You're a woman.

>I’m gonna watch a whole bunch of monkeys wearing pajamas argue over a ball.

The Nascar has screwed over its fan base, and for the US Nascar is the main draw so declines in viewership has spread out and is damaging motor sports in general
youtu.be/F2BILMQHZ6A

I do all of that including building race cars, and restoring muscle cars.

No need to limit yourself.

I did a little SCCA Solo II AKA "autocross". It's just too fucking expensive. Even autocross is expensive and it is one of the cheapest forms of racing. Tires, traveling to events, truck to tow your racecar (using your daily as your racecar is a bad idea). I enjoyed it but it just got too expensive.

When they stopped using real cars that you could buy the street version of with 426 hemi's, and FE 427's, then NASCAR became useless and fake.

Current Nascar has nothing to do with the car hobby today except Boomers that don't know those go karts with plastic shells are not real cars.

I mostly mean participation rather than just viewership.

That's certainly a part of it, but there are still older "junker" vehicles available for less money, provided that the buyer can do some tuning up/rebuilding. In any case, large trucks are some of the best-selling new vehicles in North America, and those usually cost $50-$80,000, so there is clearly money available for racing cars, too, if it were put toward that goal.

Attached: 1977 Datsun.jpg (3264x2448, 964K)

I'd rather watch niggers fight over an egg-shaped object.

Population density doesn't help, significant chunks of places now are gridlock and suffer bad traffic so people really view driving as a chore, and at the end of the day if you dislike driving then you'll probably not be interested in car culture and sports

Same reason as Australia, they stopped racing production cars.
The only good racing series left in Australia is Touring car masters (Muscle car racing)
youtube.com/watch?v=tllRia3b8X8
youtube.com/watch?v=9TJAReie7zc

Attached: 2017QR08-044751-1800x1200.jpg (1800x1200, 469K)

It's boring.

>promoting capitalism
gay

I remember how big NASCAR was in the late 90s/early 2000s even here, can't think of a bigger drop in sports relevance in history.

Much like Jow Forums(from Japan) being the spot for non-normies, Drifting(also from Japan) is a growing sport in U.S. Still expensive as fuck because you burn throw tires literally in minutes. Also NPCS like their gay little prius and hybrids rather than sport cars, which makes the auto makers to respond in kind.

Real racing died long ago. No longer fun to watch.

Amature racing to do yourself is expensive as fuck and everyone is too poor.

Attached: groupb.jpg (1072x787, 126K)

Not if you don't live your life with a smartphone in your hands, feeding off shallow dopamine hits constantly.
It's not boring. You're just overstimulated on menial shit. YOU are the problem here.

Attached: 1383971206994.gif (257x193, 1.92M)

They arent really nicer and are definitley not more reliable. Most new cars are made of chinese plastic and aluminum, and put together just well enough to survive through the powertrain warranty before they fall apart at the seams.

Each race is like 1000 bucks. I wouldn't mind one time cost of 3k buying an old Miata and racing it but I cant afford 1k every other weekend.

Nice 620. I have a 521 that is lowered with quad carbs off a street bike. Always wanted to lift one

Its also expensive

Group B drivers were some of the last great men to walk the earth.

You have never watched Isle of man have you?
youtube.com/watch?v=rmqFXPPOH98

Not formula or rally.

Now Group B was fun to watch, and signaled the beginning of the end for true auto racing.

>he things nascar is the only racing that exists

Attached: doublenigger.png (400x400, 316K)

Because NASCAR isnt interesting

Expensive. And we only care about f1 youll find us there

F1 sucks. I was a huge fan from the early 90's to about 2005. Haven't followed it since.

>because modern engines are hard to work on and our dad's have white collar jobs and we don't know how to do shit
Unironically this. The last good car I had that I could work on was a 91' 300zx. After that I got mid 90s rice burners that have too many computers, and too many bullshit regulations involving restrictive parts. "Racing" culture involves cars that don't run on the road, and cars that no one will work on that are daily drivers. And no, modifying a honda is not cool, not even in the least bit. That is some faggot shit, and I don't care how anyone tries to justify it.

ffs i posted two things that are epic to watch already
Have a 3rd, the Finke desert rally
youtube.com/watch?v=6QGKVxu1IZc

Attached: 1543768751068.png (641x428, 70K)

It is very simple. Cars used to be easy to tinker with. Practically everyone could change their own oil and monkey with the engine. Lots of shade mechanics around (people working on their own cars in their driveway under their tree).

Now cars are so complicated and difficult that it takes specific training and tools to even get to some of the things that need to be done.

Add to that the feminization of our culture, the demographic shifts (whites loved car culture, most other races don't) and groups like NASCAR going full SJW are driving people away.

Attached: Canadian national car.jpg (1023x687, 138K)

Sounds pretty soft to me bro

>Imma drive in a circle or straight line real fast.
>people should gib sponsorship dollarydoos for this

If you are looking for a website that finds Nascar entertaining, you are on the wrong wesbite.

Not even /o/ likes Nascar.

Poor marketing plays a role in it's death I'd assume. It's been associated with the lower class toothless trailer types for too long to be accepted as a mainstream pastime

Wow you are so freaking cool dude you smoke

>am chad-lite
Sounds like a bluepill betamale to me

Attached: han.png (300x300, 176K)

Are you the user from auspol the other day that I was telling about all that stuff Fink, southern 80 , summer natts, speedway ??? If so good stuff for looking into it all. If not your still a mad cunt

/o/ doesn't even like cars unless they have some relation to anime. Biggest joke of a board here honestly

Nah I am the one from /o/ that has a mancrush on Toby Price.

Attached: he is number 1.jpg (1100x650, 199K)

While I agree somewhat that cars are getting difficult to work on, I also think they are kind of getting easier in a sense.

Coyote 5.0's and LS engines you can basically download tunes on your cellphone after you have made modifications.

I'm pretty sure I can't do that with late 80's-early 90's computers, and would mean I'd have to go to a dyno shop instead.

fpbp

/o/ stopped being good around late 2016 with all the newfag busriders.

Attached: 1470681191138.png (2285x1929, 1.43M)

>I'm pretty sure I can't do that with late 80's-early 90's computers
You can, hell I can tune and map an Aprilia with a gameboy.

Haha have you ever given it a crack on a dirt bike?

Not finke i ride endurocross

Some NASCAR fag just lost his sponsorship because his dad said nigger way back in 1960' something...

Just like all once popular sports, US motorsports have been kiked. Corporations invest in motor sports, then turn them into tedious lectures on the evils of whyt pee-poles that no one gives a shit about. People already addicted to being spectators keep watching, no new spectators show up & decline sets in until it dies. Then kikes move on to kike the next thing. See National Felony League.

Insurance premiums make small local tracks impossible to keep open.

>Why is auto racing gradually losing popularity in the US?
Young working class burgers can't afford a nice car, so it quite rational that the interest in everything car related fall.

make it easier to get into

I don’t know what you guys are talking about, the racing in NASCAR has been amazing this past season and with the rules package changes coming in 2019 the racing will be even better

Attached: DEA57B6F-8723-4274-A7C6-00A9DB2A1753.jpg (960x540, 105K)

>download tunes on your cellphone
Its not the same. It doesn't have that real work feel. Nothing is neater than changing out the intake and exhaust system and feeling and hearing the difference, and knowing that you did the work to make it happen. V8 autos are the last good cars to work on, and for the most part, they are factory tuned in a way that blows away what was offered 20 years ago. I would love to have the option to have a carburetor on a v8 new from the factory over these new icars. I HATE automatic windows and door locks, and everything else that is for the "advancement" of automobiles. I can't stand the stereo head unit in my Toyota. I hate the 200+ buttons.

When did I say the stuff you posted sucks? I just said F1 sucks. I love Isle of Man and touring car racing. I like most forms of production car based racing. In my opinion the higher budget and higher tech the racing usually the more lame it gets. It ends up with one team that has the most $ having the best technology and running away with it.

One thing I wish more series had was rules like some forms of American offroad racing where the minimum weight limit is based on engine displacement. You can run a tiny dune buggy with a small engine or a heavier car with a big V8. All cars end up having similar power to weight ratios since the ratio of weight to displacement is the same. It's cool seeing totally different cars race against each other.

All of these pretty much.
>t.guy who remembers the 70s when you could pick up decent used cars with huge engines for $500 and buy hot rodded racing cams and headers from the auto parts store for $20

I was just saying ignore shit, watch prime material uleh.

fpbp
>all that plastic covering car engines

NASCAR was fucking epic back in its heyday, earnhardt senior the INTIMIDATOR.
Fucking regulations and billionaires ruined it like always
Reddit faggots like you like to say “hurr durr sportsball is dumb hurr”
you’ve never been a part of a brotherhood, a team so of course you don’t know shit

Young people can't afford it

>because modern engines are hard to work

try imposible, even mechanics are losing their job because it's basically a computer now

sportsball today is just watching a bunch of black guys who would be in prison if they couldn't run fast and jump high. They made it through college because the colleges gave them full ride scholarships and had tutors feeding them the answers to all their tests.

>tfw no old as shit beaters that are easy to wrench on and cheap and plentiful enough to knock around.

Cletus, please. If I wanted to spend my weekend watching rednecks make left turns, I'd put a yard sale sign on each corner of my block pointing that way.

S2000 crew. Track day crew.

V-TAAAAC!

That and restrictor plates.

I bet you watch niggers run left in the Olympics.

Cost to join. Smell. Sound.
Competition with games.
Ancient technology. Like you said, it's 100 years old.
How many more left turns you gotta do?
There are ways to spice up the events, just gotta think about em.

>playing a piano

What are you some kind of faggot?

Fortnite

Attached: 1537386055141.gif (931x682, 426K)

excellent post

This generation has far too high intelligence to be impressed by driving laps.
They'd rather watch League Of Legends, Dota or Starcraft.

The money in having a good, and well known driver exceeded the value of having dead drivers.
So they stopped aiming for speed, and started aiming for safety.

Nigger, its the fun that goes into building a car and racing it yourself. Not necessarily watching it on tv. But I don't expect a low IQ nigger such as yourself to be able to understand basic engineering concepts which are necessary to build a fast car.

you fuckers make me jealous
started restoring a Monza this year and damn do I wish I was alive when they were made

Also, you guys had space on the roads to actually race.
Our generation watches COPS 24/7 and would get shot for racing down the block.

I totally agree on that. A carburetor lets you self-tune with no need for expensive diagnostic computers, and also no need for the fluff of TV screens, back-up warnings, and lazy buttons all over the place that you never use.

I believe the Ferrari F40 is about the furthest extent that I would want "advancement wise" because that was one of the last high performance cars with no extra help from computers. Not that I'd ever be able to afford one, just using it as an example of simplicity.

Of course I'd want ABS.

because auto culture was a boomer luxury and modern cars are gay and computerized

Which was gay because it USED to be more than the driver. It was the pit guys. It was the shop guys being able to fuck with a stock motor. It was something potentially you and the boys could build and drive.

I'm tempted to buy an 84 300zx turbo but it's like 5600 dollars, only 6500 miles tho.

Because people stopped crashing and dying

Because it is an expensive and in practical hobby that is boring to watch at the professional level.

Take cycling, euther mountain biking and road. $1000-10,000 (AUD) for a high quality entry level-professional racing spec bike that requires very little in the way of running costs. Additionally, if you want to take your bike out it is as simple as riding out your front door and driving your bike to wherever you want to ride. Local club racing is cheap ($300-400 AUD/year). The racing is also actually enjoyable to watch.