My boss won't stop giving me a hard time because I don't drive...

My boss won't stop giving me a hard time because I don't drive. They also make fun of me for not having an active social life, and say disparaging comments about me in front of other coworkers, which is embarrassing.

It's gotten to the point where I can't have a normal conversation with them anymore, because they immediately pivot to those things. It's like he's absolutely obsessed with my lack of a car or tendency to stay home on the weekends. It's really stressing me out, I want to be able to have casual conversations with my boss, if I can't do that then I can't really confide in or trust them when it comes to more important work related things.

I'm not sure what to do about this, it's really bumming me out.

Attached: oT23Y7BkluU1RL1MtOFFQ0UHGOkGttgR2o9oRz7uzcs.jpg (1919x2664, 605K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drive-safely.net/driving-statistics/
forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2011/07/27/how-many-times-will-you-crash-your-car/#6b4151cf4e62
curiosity.com/topics/how-do-people-survive-plane-crashes-o53cN3Xy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

See if in your location you can collect unemployment for a hostile work environment...

Quit your job as burger technician at carls jr.

Hey user, stop letting these people walk all over you. When your co-workers start badmouthing you in front other people, kindly pull them over to the side and tell them gently yet firmly that you would appreciate if they would stop badmouthing you. TL;DR assert your dominance

They're teasing you because they want you to get your drivers license.

Also I noticed you switched from "they" to "him".
>I can't have a normal conversation with them anymore
>them
> because they immediately pivot
>they
>t's like he's absolutely obsessed
>he
>them they he

Well what I'm going through can be categorized as workplace harassment but honestly I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not right now.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

I guess so. I was thinking of meeting with them one on one and telling them that these comments bother me. However they're my manager so I'm not sure how well that'd go.

lol no, it's not that kind of teasing for sure. Also fuck them, I have my reasons for not driving, I shouldn't have to be constantly pestered about this kind of shit.

Wait what? You didn't just switch from "them" to "him"? Someone is busting you balls (or twat)

Also, I have to ask, what are your reasons for not driving? Remember, you are anonymous here. I think that's the bigger issue here.

Why do you care about the pronouns I'm using? Is this a grammar thing or do you think I'm trying to hide something?

There's no reason to. I can get to where I need to with transit, my work is close to where I live. I'm trying to save as much money as I can right now, and I don't want to buy a car, insurance, gas, and pay maintenance costs. Transit is also safer, I can study or relax without worrying that I'm putting lives in danger.

A hostile workplace environment is a pain. Here are some steps you can use to remediate:
1. Write up your CV. Everyday, apply to at least 1 job outside the office. Obviously keep it a secret. You don't have to take a job or interview, this is to convince you that there is always a way out.
2. WALK AWAY whenever these situations occur. Walking away is a very powerful position. You start a convo and they turn it to that? Walk away.
3. Brush away their remarks. "Wow, still talking about that? Is your life that dull?" If it's your boss, ask "I'm sorry, how is this related to work?" Remind him this is a professional relationship.
4. Rehearse when alone.

You might fumble the first few times but repeatedly doing so will help you in the long run.

If it worsens, rely on HR and chain of command:
1. write down when these occur and get at least 3 instances.
2. contact your boss' superior (chain of command) and explain the issue with examples
3. if this is not resolved, contact HR through Email and ask the proper steps and follow through (use words like "hostile work environment", "harassment" and "stress")
4. If this is not enough, seek employment elsewhere.

No no no no, it's not a simple grammatical error. I'm not trying to catch you in something, but you did switch from "them" to "him". Is there someone specifically bothering you? You said "him", switching from "them". That's not the point anyway.

Also everything you said sounds extremely reasonable about why you shouldn't buy a car. Well everything except for "putting others in danger". Sounds more to me like you're scared of yourself, to even get your license. I think that is why your getting teased.

Honest question, do you have you license? Another honest question, are you scared to get it?

This seems pretty solid, thanks. Honestly I might have to rehearse in this way.

Driving is among the leading causes of death for people in my age range. My dad almost died from a car accident six years ago, as did my cousin four years ago. If you think about your family/friends/coworkers, you will likely remember at least a one or two major accidents. Driving itself is actually extremely dangerous and should not be taken lightly, if you doubt me at all do more research into the matter. Even if a person drives perfectly, there is nothing you can do to control other people. Honestly I am surprised that I even need to state this, it should be common knowledge to everyone but for some reason it's not. I think it's because people have conditioned themselves to not think much about driving, like eating shitty foods they somehow think it's okay, when in reality it is something that should only be done purposefully and with real thought and consideration. If parents want to 100% ensure the health of their teens, one of the best things they can do is not make them drive, technically. If you doubt me, look at the death statistics for teenagers in the US.

I will get a car when I need to, and will take it extremely seriously and do everything I can to be a safe driver when the time comes. But I refuse to put myself at risk to impress other people who are ill informed on the dangers of driving.

And yes I have my license.

Saving money by not having a car is fine.
Saving money by not having a license is making you a weird person.
There are so many situations where you can borrow a car for free or at no cost to you and you are shutting yourself off that.
Also it puts you on the path to getting a car as a car is the most essential thing after a place to live.
Telling people you are fine with waiting for a worse transportation option is what makes it weird. They want to have you aspire to something.

As for a social life, I know it can be hard when you don't have money, but if you can find other poor people, you can hang out together. Eg a BBQ can be cheap, just bring your own food. Inviting people for dinner is more expensive, but still worth it.

I don't mean to attack you here, but you're spitting all these statistics at me.

Last night at work I almost got fucking crushed. Not to go into too much detail, but I drive a forklift and drop loads on a shifting table. Well last night the table got stuck, and I was just standing there when it slammed, the fucking hardest it has ever slammed. If I was just a foot over on the other side this bitch would have stuck me in the waist like a train, probably would have crushed my internal organs or some bizarre shit. I'm still kind of bugged out by it, it was just a few hours ago.

But basically, what I'm saying, is it sounds more like you're scared and that's why you get teased. Death comes for all of us. You're not getting out of this alive.

>If you think about your family/friends/coworkers, you will likely remember at least a one or two major accidents
The only two accidents close to me was a friend of a friends brother who got drunk and drove into a ditch because he saw a deer and one involving my father where he got hit in the rear by another car, but nothing happened there.
Most car accidents are avoidable if you pay attention.
As for controlling other people, there is a horn so you can signal wake the fuck up to other people.
It is not 100% but it can cover a lot.
It is not that people are unaware of the potential for disaster, it is that people know how to drive so they don't get into dangerous situations.

Advice when giving advice: stop the leak first and then figure out why it leaked.

In this case, the harassment at work is more important than the "why are you different". OP has a reason and it doesn't matter. Once his main problem is solved, if he so much as wants to delve into his "difference" then he will but like almost everyone else, he probably will not and that is his choice. So this line of thinking is wholly a waste of time.

Why are people assuming I don't have a license?
Also what the fuck is noble about aspiring to drive? lmao

I'm not poor. I just don't want to spend my money on pointless crap, so I have money for emergency situations and things I actually want to buy. I have enough saved where I can buy almost anything I want or go wherever without worrying about having to save more or make compromises. Shit's fucking great. And I get that peace of mind largely because I haven't been sinking money into a depreciating car and its repairs.

I do not have no social life at all. Just not a very active one, because I'm introverted and prefer to stay at home.

Yeah, but feeling like le special counselor.
More importantly can OP go to HR? A lot of companies are taking harassment seriously with suicide on the rise.

Go to HR and tell them you're being singled out for depression
They'll probably jump on that like stink on shit

I see where you're coming from OP, but having the freedom of going where I want and when I want without having to rely on anyone is a great feeling.

Theres always going to be a risk of getting into a crash.

Theres also always going to be a risk of the train, boat, plane or bus you're on crashing as well. You could put yourself in a bubble and plane could come crashing down on you.

We're all going to die someday. Never let your fear decide your fate.

Normally I'm one to just give advice. But fucking harassment? Come on now...

You don't drive and when questioned about it you spit out statistics. Sorry, it makes you an oddball. Just say I don't drive because I'm a pussy.

>harassment
get out of here lol

But if he is going to another place, they will tease him too.
The teasing is annoying, but it is a sign that the coworkers care about him.

>I have my reasons for not driving
No you don't.

Would you then avoid using that forklift at work if possible?
I'm not saying that people shouldn't drive, but should only do it when necessary and for good reason. I will get a car when I need to. I don't need it right now, therefore I won't.

Death comes to all of us, yes. But there is no point in dying for needless or avoidable reasons. If people want to decrease their chances of getting cancer, they shouldn't smoke and should have a healthy BMI. If people want to decrease their chances of getting into collisions, they should drive less and drive safely. It's that simple.

It doesn't matter. A lot of collisions are unavoidable, and there is a high chance of one happening to you in your life time. Google it if you don't believe me. Even if it is a minor accident it can still be enough to send you to the hospital and give you minor permanent damages. My dad was a defensive driving instructor and firefighter for two decades with an impeccable driving record, yet he still got fucked in a pretty major way.

>Driving is among the leading causes of death for people in my age range. My dad almost died from a car accident six years ago, as did my cousin four years ago. If you think about your family/friends/coworkers, you will likely remember at least a one or two major accidents. Driving itself is actually extremely dangerous and should not be taken lightly, if you doubt me at all do more research into the matter. Even if a person drives perfectly, there is nothing you can do to control other people. Honestly I am surprised that I even need to state this, it should be common knowledge to everyone but for some reason it's not. I think it's because people have conditioned themselves to not think much about driving, like eating shitty foods they somehow think it's okay, when in reality it is something that should only be done purposefully and with real thought and consideration. If parents want to 100% ensure the health of their teens, one of the best things they can do is not make them drive, technically. If you doubt me, look at the death statistics for teenagers in the US.
Literally fucking shoot yourself. You are a paranoid sped.

Attached: 1515913662308.jpg (1000x1181, 264K)

>Why are people assuming I don't have a license
You said you didn't drive.
Then you said you didn't have a car because of financial reasons which made me assume you were poor.

But there is nothing noble about driving, it is a practical thing. A lot of jobs require you to drive a car, a lot of social situations require it and then it is just more practical for a person to drive.
Even something as simple as shopping is harder without a car.
And making your life harder is what they make fun of. That and the irrational fear.

>I'm not saying that people shouldn't drive, but should only do it when necessary and for good reason.
I'm gonna go for a joyride in my pickup right now just because you said that dumb shit.

Quit. And possibly file a lawsuit or complaint with HR. Try to get documentation. Workplace harassment is no joke.

Bullies in school grow up to be bullies at work. It's just a different kind of harassment.

It's sad really. The reason they bully is the have a hole in their soul that will never be filled, something is lacking.

Kinda this.

user come on now, you're scared to drive and for some reason won't admit it to us. You're saying that unless you are absolutely forced to, you won't get behind the wheel and drive. Me, I might want a chicken sandwich, I can leave this thread right the fuck now and drive up and get one.

If you just kill your boss, you won't have to deal with his insecurity anymore user.

Of course car accidents are going to be a high cause of death in teens. Teens are young and healthy for the most part and arent dying of heart disease and other age related illnesses.
If you are going to live your life by actuary tables at least try to understand what you are reading and the reasons for it.

No, fuck off. This isn't some paranoid BS, driving is objectively dangerous and if everyone were more serious about it then the world would be better for it. I think my position is extremely reasonable, given that it isn't a necessary thing for me now and I do fine without it. As I have said countless times in this thread, I will get a car when I need it and think that people should get one if it's necessary.

Driving is the leading cause of death in almost all age groups: drive-safely.net/driving-statistics/

The average driver will file a claim for a collision every 17.9 years, with lifelong drivers experiencing between 3 and 4 accidents: forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2011/07/27/how-many-times-will-you-crash-your-car/#6b4151cf4e62

Your odds of dying in a car accident are 1 in 5000 as compared to 1 in 11 million for flying a plane: curiosity.com/topics/how-do-people-survive-plane-crashes-o53cN3Xy/

It is just beyond me how people are so careful about their health when it comes to other things but in this they think I'm over-reacting. They just think I should accept this amount of risk for arbitrary reasons (to make grocery shopping more convenient LMAO), it's fucking astounding.

Walking outside of your house is dangerous. Tonight, while you're reading what I'm saying, you could have a massive aneurysm and die at the keyboard.

Just stop. It's not that you aren't driving that makes you weird, it's the fact that you're so scared of it. It makes you weird to normal people. Normal people aren't weirded out or scared of driving, just please understand that. I can't convince you to drive, but you can't convince other people that you're a normal person either. You're lying about being scared of driving, what other weird shit are you hiding? You're a fucking weirdo, and it's weird that you won't even admit to being a pussy and take some simple ribbing.

Okay, that's cool, you do you. But the facts and statistics are on my side; there's a high chance you will get into an accident in the future. It will probably fucking suck, it might kill you, and even if it doesn't you will have to put up with a lot of shit for it. And when that moment happens, be sure to remember my shitposts user. Never forget.

That comparison is terrible. The odds of you dying from either of those things pale in comparison to your odds of dying from driving.

driving is a necessity in most places, so yeah - it comes off as a little developmentally stunted that you can't do it.

And okay, driving is risk - but that's a bullshit reason not to do it as the risk is still very low and you can control your own actions to manage the risk to a large extent. Eating food is a choking risk but you still do that, right? Why aren't you blending your meals? You've gone overboard on this one.

and you're missing the entire point of what I said.

>Even something as simple as shopping is harder without a car.

This. I can't imagine transporting 5 bags of groceries without a car.

Hell, I can't imagine having to transport anything without a car. As an artist who does artist allies at cons, I need my car to carry my display shit.

Maybe this is a sign you shouldn't discuss personal things with your coworkers or bosses.

Eating foods high in sugar are low risk on a per meal basis but over a lifetime they become dangerous, which is why they should be controlled and done in moderation. Same thing with driving. Also that chocking comparison isn't a good one to make because it's no where near as dangerous, of course it's going to seem paranoid to be scared of something like that because the risk is actually low.

If I had to transport things like this then I'd be using a car too. Again, as I have said countless times, if there is a need for it then whatever. But it seems foolish to go about it for convenience alone. Driving is riskier than most people think.

No, not really. You're saying that I'm weird for being paranoid about something that is low risk, especially by making those comparisons. I am saying that it's high risk (and have evidence to prove this) and therefore being nervous about it is reasonable. Most 'normal' people aren't nervous because they don't realise how dangerous it is, or chose to willingly overlook the odds for the sake of convenience.

Wtf is this guy's problem. God the stupid shit normies obsess over. It's like if you don't follow the script they go haywire.

Anyways just do your work and go home as long as he doesn't fire you who gives a fuck what that ass wipe thinks. Cars are expensive anyways only own one you love otherwise cheaper to Uber. Laugh at your boss the next time he has an expensive car repair.

It's just bants to get through the day, my boss always jokes about me being gay because I don't have a girlfriend, he's done it a couple of times in front of people I've only just met he's pretty good at making people actually think I'm gay sometimes I wanna punch him out, but I'll admit it's actually pretty funny and he probably just wants me to get a girlfriend that's why he takes the piss, I think it's the same for your boss. I think he sub concisely wants you to be happy and have a social life so that's why he's giving you stick. You should try just banta back with him idk

>You're saying that I'm weird
The people you work with think you're weird. I couldn't care less. That's why you're getting "bullied".

Everyone here knows it, you can rationalize it any way you want to. You can cite sources, pull up graphs and show pictures on a power point of carcrashes. It just further cements the fact that you're weird. What don't you fucking get about this?

This is the correct answer.

You are such a fucking normie
Some people don't want a car, do you know what a car is? A debt machine, between insurance, mantaninance. Parking. Gas. Etc you pay the cost of the car twice
You fucking boomers with you old ass backwards views who have no clue how expensive anything is because you where coddled your entire fucking life from crib to grave

As for a social life that's personal, there are a lot of things more fulfilling than people

I've already been in a crash and totalled my first car. I was literally fucking unharmed. The vast majority of people, including, most likely, everyone you know, will never suffer a significant injury in a motor vehicle accident. They may BE in an accident, but I'm curious, how many of the accidents in your statistics were just dumb cunts scraping fenders, and not stopping fast enough and caving your rear fascia in a little? Defensive driving goes a long, long way in keeping you out of trouble. Sheer statistics does the rest. The actual odds of being in a severe accident are hilariously low. I know tons of people who are in retirement who have never had a major wreck in their lives. I know nobody who has even sustained a broken anything in a wreck.

Okay user, I will admit that I'm a fucking weirdo if you can answer this question and provide proof for your claim:

How do you know that driving is low risk and safe?

You have two choices; either you man up and tell your boss to mind his own business, or you begin driving regularly.

Hopefully you accomplish both. Maybe then you'll earn some respect.

Attached: 1528079443839.jpg (842x544, 58K)

I don't. That's not the point. People get killed everyday driving. It is safer to go to work and get picked on by your boss than to actually drive a car.

>The average driver will file a claim for a collision every 17.9 years, with lifelong drivers experiencing between 3 and 4 accidents
Not every collision is dangerous.
We file a claim because we don't want to pay to fix the car but want the car fixed.
I have had several accidents reported to the insurance and all of them were in a parking lot where nobody were driving more than 5mph.
A car is huge and there are blind spots so when you drive all the time, you are more likely to damage the car.
It doesn't mean it is not safe.
And did you even read the sites you linked to?

>The difference between motorists who never have an accident and drivers who contribute to the average driving statistics is mentality. Safe drivers just drive!
You can reduce the number of fatal accidents by better policing drunk drivers and remove people who shouldn't be driving. When you cite statistics, it makes you seem like you think accidents are random and could happen to anyone.
I am glad you are not driving when you are this insecure.

If you can't see why your statement is fundamentally illogical then your school system failed you.

I mean OP I can tell you right now they're mocking you not just for your answer but your autistic delivery thereof.
You have two choices, justburself and become a "normie" and be welcomed into their arms-just kidding.
You can either let the status quo ride or kick up enough shit to HR or directly confront your coworkers insistently enough they stop. They will resent you for it. They will bond among themselves talking shit about you behind your back. The harassment will shift to something more passive aggressive. How much will it continue in passive aggressive form? Who knows? Maybe a word or two a week maybe a word or two an hour. It's a complete crapshoot but the only difference is in the degree. What I've said will definitely happen to you only the degree to which it does is variable.
You have to weigh that and decide which one you think will turn out less awful for you with the people you know better than I do. Of course the secret third option has been suggested to you by other anons already, which is start shooting your resume places until you can leave.