Can we get a history book thread going? Or just a general book thread

Can we get a history book thread going? Or just a general book thread.

I want to know what Jow Forums reads

Attached: Untitled.jpg (652x1002, 307K)

>There were two possibilities in Judaism. Before the birth of Christ, these two, negation and affirmation, were together awaiting choice. Christ was the man who conquered in Himself Judaism, the greatest negation, and created Christianity, the strongest affirmation and the most direct opposite of Judaism. Now the choice has been made; the old Israel has divided into Jews and Christians, and Judaism has lost the possibility of producing greatness. The new Judaism has been unable to produce men like Samson and Joshua, the least Jewish of the old Jews. In the history of the world, Christendom and Jewry represent negation and affirmation. In old Israel there was the highest possibility of mankind, the possibility of Christ. The other possibility is the Jew. I must guard against misconception; I do not mean that there was any approach to Christianity in Judaism; the one is the absolute negation of the other; the relation between the two is only that which exists between all pairs of direct opposites. Even more than in the case of piety and Judaism, Judaism and Christianity can best be contrasted by what each respectively excludes. Nothing is easier than to be Jewish, nothing so difficult as to be Christian. Judaism is the abyss over which Christianity is erected, and for that reason the Aryan dreads nothing so deeply as the Jew.

>Christ was a Jew, precisely that He might overcome the Judaism within Him, for he who triumphs over the deepest doubt reaches the highest faith; he who has raised himself above the most desolate negation is most sure in his position of affirmation. Judaism was the peculiar, original sin of Christ; it was His victory over Judaism that made Him greater than Buddha or Confucius. Christ was the greatest man because He conquered the greatest enemy. Perhaps He was, and will remain, the only Jew to conquer Judaism.

Attached: 71xPZa2TlfL.jpg (1139x1800, 154K)

tl;dr

> book thread
> tl;dr
stfu

Attached: 51IQSePVDRL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (331x499, 40K)

Attached: 81sWxRbC8wL.jpg (1650x2550, 407K)

>The passage where Lee and the patricians of Virginia joked about Jackson's simple tastes.
>The passages about the Union band playing Confederate songs in the winter of 1862.

Top feels.

Attached: rebel-yell-9781451673296_hr.jpg (1399x2130, 368K)

>over 700 pages
Is it worth the read?

Attached: Weetabix.jpg (377x499, 47K)

One of the most well researched books on CIAniggers
Alex Jones says this is the book that got him into conspiracy

Attached: drugs as weapons against us.jpg (331x500, 53K)

People are reading "Culture of Critique".

Have some recommendations from my latest reads.

This one is a most excellent book on the Roman-Judean war of A.D. 70. Brizzi is a master scholar and an excellent writer.

Don't know if it's translated, but it could be.

Attached: 70dc.jpg (327x499, 42K)

This was my favourite book for this year.

It's not so recent, but it's absolutely excellent, and makes compelling points.
10/10 would experience again.

Attached: coc.jpg (324x499, 33K)

Recently read this, it's a nice summary of the different personalities that shaped the inception of America. I preferred other works of Ellis, though.

Attached: Fb.jpg (294x450, 42K)

Another good one, on one of my favourite topics: D'Annunzio and Fiume.

Qui Contra Nos?

Attached: qcn.jpg (500x718, 177K)

Another decent book. Not on the level of Carnage and Culture, but certainly an entertaining read.

If you can deal with the excessive angolophilia and anglocentrism of Ferguson, and compensate for it, it's worth your time.

Forgot the image, blast

Attached: 10475421.jpg (258x400, 14K)

Finally, a suggestion for those of you that can read spanish:

The military history of the spanish tercios, in all their depth, gore and glory.

Attached: pavia.jpg (557x881, 181K)

A final must have, if only because the man is a fucking genius.

Attached: antifragile.jpg (325x499, 29K)

I've read two of the four in that pic my only complaint is instead of being a Byzaboo Crowley has an absolute hard on for the turk.

Attached: 1472340716565.jpg (1920x1080, 2.27M)

True, but despite that he's still a good writer, to be honest.

Dense and academic. I think it's absolutely worth it. I plan on reading it again soon.

By the way, if you want to read of some turks getting rekt, have a go at this.

It's short and well written.

Attached: 9781497617308_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg (249x380, 27K)

I'll check it out.

Attached: 1442016003233.jpg (805x673, 162K)

Im on the 3rd book of gene wolfes book of the new sun. It's alright.

One of the more interesting things from it though was how often the Turks had to rely on Europeans to actually accomplish anything. They basically depended on European's selling out their countrymen to achieve a higher status with the Turks.

I'll also be asking for opinions.

Did anybody here read this one:

> Marcus Agrippa: Right-Hand Man of Caesar Augustus
> by Lindsay Powell

He's one of my favourite historical figures, but I've not read this specific book yet. Any review here? The ones online are a mixed bag.

I'll have to look into this. Anything in it about the actual tactics he used, or the campaigns he led?

If you aren’t reading this book to your kids you are bluepilled.

Attached: AF086432-F771-4074-803B-1270C394135F.jpg (446x299, 28K)

I got the bottom left corner (1453) for Christmas last year. Still haven't finished it. The feels I get knowing that the mudslimes win in the end- I just can even.

Attached: 1509991977684.jpg (326x325, 24K)

It has pretty detailed descriptions of troop movements in his battles as well as the actual campaigns. It is nonlinear though, so the narrative will use the time A.P. Hill is first assigned to work under Jackson to discuss his life as a West Point student with the men who would become his adversaries and allies.

Just started reading this
It's a white pill if you believe it
Only read the introduction thus far

Attached: national populism.jpg (306x500, 23K)

>Book about Venice being the city of Fortunes is in the same set as 1453
hmm no conflict of interest there? seeing how Venetians are directly responsible for 1453

I like these threads, because it separates the clear brainlets spamming 'redpilled' bullshit and the true patricians. Pic related is what I'm currently reading, next is one about the Carolingian Empire.

Attached: C42FD377-E04E-4EBF-A563-49136F9C65CD.jpg (305x460, 59K)

Anyone knows a nice 17 century themed book about adventures on the sea - discovering new lands with a historic context
something like Treasure Island

>seeing how Venetians are directly responsible for 1453
Not really. They were doomed after Manzikert which was caused by their failing military system.
Plus what the hell do expect after refusing to pay an army of pissed off fully armored crusaders? At least the earlier Emperors had the foresight to wait until after the crusaders left their land to screw them over.

if youre looking for a novel, check out The Bonfire of the Vanities, in which Tom Wolfe owns the blacks and the mexicans.

This. its a VERY good read.

Attached: six frigates.jpg (337x499, 44K)

Origins of political order
Political order and political decay

The book about Portugal in OP’s pic is really good if you’re willing to go a century earlier.

A kind of japanese version of Art of War

Attached: book of 5 rings.jpg (203x248, 5K)

This and hidden kingdoms are great reads.

Attached: conquest2.jpg (325x500, 23K)

Thanks. Found it.
My Italian is pretty mediocre and rusty, but academic books are often easier to read, a lot of academic vocabulary being international.
I read the first paragraph of the first chapter and it doesn't look too intimidating.

Im re-reading lord of the flies because I saw a new edition with a really cool cover at the book store, so I bought it.

Based Hanson the western way of war make me a grekophile

Bump

Any fellow WW1 autismos have/need any recommendations? I just finished a four book series on the eastern front. Would love something that deals with the fall of the Romanovs

I looked around and no english version sadly. I hate being a burger sometimes

I read this one, its great.

Devil's Broker is a good one. It talks about John Hawkwood and the mercenaries in Italy during the 1300's

>I just finished a four book series on the eastern front.
Is that the series written by the poo? If so how was it?

Asimov Chronology of the world
Tale of two cities

And above all, the Bible

This. Read it about two weeks ago. It was enjoyable.

Yep thread need archiving

Yes. It’s fucking excellent, I really enjoyed it. I had my computer nearby to pull up maps because he goes really in depth with the battles. But yeah, it’s a very, very good read

Don Quijote

Attached: quijote.jpg (768x516, 70K)

I was shocked how hindus weren't allowed to go out to sea because of their religion, and thus, Muslims dominated the trade of the Indian Ocean. So Portugal literally thousands of miles away from the Indian Ocean, was able to conquer the entire trade nodes of a huge ass ocean.

Bradford is pretty legit.

If that is a woman author, skip it. Every woman author I have read, even in fiction, just has this thing about their style that screams "IM A WOMAN" and it shows

Idk maybe im a sexist.

>Storm of Steel
Kickass memoir written by a German general in World War I. He was a national hero because of it, even though he shunned the Nazis in WW2 they didn't give him any shit because he was that much of a national treasure.
>My Confession
memoir of a scalp hunter from the American west. Was the source for a lot of details in Blood Meridian. Will redpill you on cowboys and indians and all the lies Hollywood has been feeding you about them.
>Endurance
Amazing story of antarctic explorers whose boat got caught in the ice and then crushed apart and how they had to survive. They either had to walk towards land where no one could find them, or walk towards the ocean where the ice got thinner and thinner, but someone might see them.
>In the Heart of the Sea
Story about American whalers whose boat sank when an angry whale rammed into it repeatedly. They were adrift in rowboats rationing food for months until they had to resort to cannibalism.
>Chronicles of the Crusades
original historical documents from soldiers who fought in the crusades.
>Joseph Conrad's novellas
he wrote Heart of Darkness but also several other novellas that include seafaring, including one about a droppelganger that Iiked. Not technically historical but Conrad was a real sailor and its evident in his knowledge of boating.
>At the Gates of the Alamo
beautifully written historical fiction about Santa Ana's army marching to Mexico, a kid who joins the American army because of a psycho cunt, his mom who tries to find him, and a botanist caught up in the middle of it.

Pic related is a mouthful of kino

Attached: 49CCD21A-309B-48B0-89F7-4EB29D5FB5FC.jpg (1707x2560, 1.09M)

I'd agree with the new books, but for example it wasn't always the case about it. Anyway J.K Rowling did great until she became bat-shit crazy.
I blame Twilight for the demise of woman written literature.
Also is there a shock that men are more prolific when it comes to writing? Sexism has its place even in arts as the best painters, sculptors, writers are, have been and will be males.

Attached: Civil War II - Red Cover.png (269x430, 171K)

KING JAMES BIBLE, PURE CAMBRIDGE EDITION

The style is not too complicated, and it doesn't use uncommon terms except when there's need to (e.g: specific historical ones).

Right now I'm reading Let Trump be Trump

Is having a Goodreads account bad? They're owned by Amazon and intelligence gathering goes on... On the other hand, ignoring it means you have no presence there.

if this doesnt happen in the next 10 years we are fucked.

>The Fate of Empires by Glubb
It's a nice introduction to cyclical history. It's composed of 2 essays (60 pages total +/-). He describes, with examples, how the majority of western empires dating from 3.000 years go through the same stages:
>The age of outburst (or pioneers).
Where a unknown or renegade tribe, without nothing to lose, just burst into a series of endeavors to consolidate itself as an empire.
>The age of conquests.
Where the tribe actually turns itself in a empire.
3. The age of commerce.
After the acquisition of wealth, people now don't have that thirst to conquest anymore, focusing itself to commerce instead.
>The age of affluence.
Wealth controls it all and it corrupts all of the values that once made the empire what it was. The empire now focus on defense other than offense and since they have a enormous amount of money, the State starts giving people benefits like welfare state and suchs.
>The age of intellect.
Being a soldier and having courage and honour doesn't matter anymore so the empire seek to maximize its achievements throughout academic endeavors. Universities start to pop up in each corner.
>The age of decadence.
Self-explanatory
>The age of decline andcollapse.
The empire has now lost everything that once made it great and it's just a matter of time until another unknown or renegade tribe conquers it.

For me reading this was scarier than reading Lovecraft.

Attached: images-83.jpg (286x444, 19K)

>The Fate of Empires by Hubbard
It's a great complement to the other one. While Glubb's analysis focus itself on a macro perspective (civilizations), Hubbard's has a micro one (living beings). He discourses about how a living being goes from instinct (barbarism) to reason and the necessity to go even beyond that.

Attached: images-144.jpg (452x678, 29K)

i read 2 of these books:
Conquerors and empire of the sea

nice side story

Jews got banned in Venice because a jewish butcher skinned a venican officer alive for the turks.

Please for the love of God read some actual history.

Attached: VDH-Second-World-Wars.jpg (1024x1588, 240K)

bump!