Why can’t my father find a job pol? He’s been a chief engineer for years and we moved to Orlando for better living...

Why can’t my father find a job pol? He’s been a chief engineer for years and we moved to Orlando for better living. Needless to say he can’t find a job anywhere, despite applying at least 50 places.
What gives? He’s more than capable to work. It’s bumming me out seeing him like this.

Attached: 1A29D0CC-4B18-4C23-8447-6B9117895699.jpg (1024x892, 234K)

come to Germany

I'm in Orlando. What kind of salary is he looking for?

Attached: Publix Pepe.png (500x522, 121K)

Orlando is full of libtards. Bad place for jobs.

Is he 55+? Most companies wont hire someone older than 50 because they assume you'll be retiring soon.

Standard pay for chief engineering. He wants to work so bad, I really want to see him happy again.

Is this true? He is 57 but very fit. Goes jogging and bike riding a lot, and would work till he literally drops dead.

It is 100% about connections,i.e. Who does he know? No one? Probably why no one is gonna push him through the bullshit of cold application

I don't know what chief engineering means in this context. Field?

Attached: Scotty.jpg (735x1000, 498K)

It can take hundreds of applications.
Don't quit.

America is uber capitalist. Why would theyy hire 50yo engineer when they can hire a zoomer for less money. Unless the company has a quota to hire 50+ age people they wont. Best thing is for people he knews to get him in. Thats how white people do it. Network if he didnt over his career your family is fucked.

maintenance. He’s worked at various hotels such as the double tree.

Yeah UCF pumps out 1000’s of engineer grads a year. Your dad is competing with people over half his age, who will work for half of what he probably wants, and will work for the company much longer than him.

There has to be something I can do. I help him pay bills but I work as a server and make only ok money.

That makes sense I suppose. I feel I obligated to make sure he’s ok, and I feel some pressure to make more money to help as I am only 19.

yes, unless he has a very has an extremely impressive portfolio and would be invaluable to the company, he's going to go to the bottom of the list over younger engineers every time. His best bet would probably be to start his own business doing something.

best thing you can do is learn from his mistakes. improve your position and network, network, network. what is your careeer path?

it's good to help your dad, but don't let it get in the way of your future either. Are you in college or trade school or something?

I'm going to give you very specific advice.
>Both of you need to immediately go take whatever entry level job at Walt Disney World is available.
>I don't car what it is, custodial, maintenance, food services, you name it, fucking do it.
>Always show up 30 minutes prior to your shift.
>Offer to fill in, take overtime, and be 100% flexible on your schedule.
>Never ever call in sick or be late.
After six months of that, supervisor positions will open up, some $10-$15 an hour. Do that another six months with the same advice as above, and then they'll be willing to look at his experience/education/qualifications to find him a proper fit in the company. It's your best bet. Post a thread on June 21, 2019 at 10:00 PM EST and give me a progress report. If I was wrong I will send you $1,000 each.

Attached: bill-nye-epcot.jpg (630x250, 62K)

Serious answer: he needs to look for contractor jobs. Once a person is older than 50, it can be hard to find employee roles. Corporate HR does not want to risk higher health costs. Tell him to investigate W2 and 1099 contract work. It pays better than employee salary anyway.

I don't care because everyone told me to eat a dick when I was broke and unemployed after college.

Attached: 1541464040472.jpg (840x677, 113K)

This.

This is a good fallback but working for Disney World fucking SUCKS

Attached: 1544554669576.png (936x712, 68K)

It does suck, but these two sound like they have no options. If he never networked, he'll have to prove his worth and build a reputation. Once he's in for a year they'll consider you one of their own.

Attached: boring.jpg (700x525, 63K)

I go to Valencia college but I’m only taking basic classes as I still am not sure what I want to do. I always liked film, but I know that’s near impossible to get a job at.

Age discrimination is very real and also hard to prove.

Engineering career is a meme. You wageslave for shit pay compared to your general responsibility, liability and the profit you actually make to the company, and when you're either absolutely burned out or reached a certain age you get discarded like a used condom and exchanged for some just graduated kid who will do your job in exchange for breadcrumbs and is fucking ecstatic for finally pushing through the "entry job requirement: 15 years of experience in the field" wall. There's a reason why most engineers steer away from engineering and towards executive positions once they reach their 40s or so and that's because they are far less expendable in those fields. The ones who actually love to do engineering and stay in the field almost always get rekt unless they start their own company. IT field works pretty much the same.

Moving to a big city was a horrendous move. That's where most young people freshly out of college are and where the competition is the worst. Moving to more remote regions or to the countryside would make his life way easier on regards to job hunting. Places like Alaska would be ideal if he really wants to get a job. Tell him to apply for such places.

Yeah, I'd say even at the height of racial discrimination in the workplace age took priority. It's hard to argue against too; do you really want to invest time and money on someone who is more likely to die in the next 15 years or someone who has a solid 40?

whatever you do, focus on your career first, and like another user said, networking is the most important thing. Kiss everyone's asshole you can. Your dad may have to swallow his pride and take up a job beneath of his skill range, that's the sad reality we live in. Don't let him drag you down. He's able-bodied, he can work, even if it's flipping burgers.

>I go to Valencia college
ok, good. get involved in extracurricular stuff just to build connections and network. whatever degree you get is going to be less important than the connections you make.

Thank you for the advice. Part of me thinks my father might have to swallow his pride and settle for another job in the mean time. I’m going to have a talk with him about it.

the eonomy boomed 3 years ago. it's all downhill from now until 2027, when it all repeats again. it's time for the bear bankers to cash in on their bear market manipulations

also, don't quit a job without having another in place. simple bit of common sense that somehow gets ignored.

>Orlando

u wot m8

avin a laugh are ya

>we moved to Orlando for better living. Needless to say he can’t find a job anywhere,
I lived in Orlando / Florida most of my life. The engineering jobs were few and far between. The pay was also a fraction of what you make in real tech areas like California. This was in the 90’s. I moved to California in 2010 and it’s literally impossible for me not to have a constant stream of “notice me sempai” from potential employers and headhunters.

I grew up in Florida, I love Florida, but it sucks for work. GTFO of there or move into a different industry.

Attached: C40C5502-AA2E-4F92-9207-8E26296CED15.png (581x443, 128K)

Just passing by to wish you and your father luck, user. You have a good heart

Why can’t just work at a Home Depot for the time being until he finds a better job? Why don’t you go get a job you pussy?