29/30+ Advice Thread

Another old anons thread

I'll start:

Turning 29 next month. Achieved nothing socially or career-wise except a 2.2 degree in maths over 7 years ago. Currently on a zero-hour contract job lifting heavy shit which is probably destroying my weak body. No friends, just one or two people who check on me to see that I haven't killed myself, (I feel more out of guilt rather than concern). I'm kind of stuck as what to do either socially or career-wise. It's 3am here so hopefully there's some advice when I wake up at 12 in the afternoon.

Attached: Wizard.jpg (500x395, 39K)

I'm 29 and starting community college next month.
A lot of people say you don't need to go to college but I wanna be the first person in my family to graduate and I want the education.

33 year old here. You are focusing way too much on what you don't have and comparing yourself to a vague standard that someone else came up with. You need to compare who you are now to who you were yesterday. Think about what you would like to be doing or what you could improve on and work toward that. I know from experience that focusing on how your big picture now doesn't live up to an idealistic big picture isn't a plan, it's just depression. Do you have any hobbies user? If so try and connect with people near you and connect through it. My social circle started to grow and most of the people in my life now, I met through working part time at Gamestop 6 years ago, it opened other opportunities for me. The life you want isn't going to come to you user. Figure out what that is and take whatever small steps you can to move in that direction.

Turned 29 a few days ago. There was some freaking out but I'm okay now.

Spent the last ten years doing the startup company thing in mom's garage.
Lot of excitement and encouragement in the first year or two but lately it's been a lot of "when are you going to give up and go get a job?"

Things are starting to get better tho. Now that I'm past the birthday anxiety, I've worked out a plan to get my life and biz back on track asap. For the moment I'm feeling pretty confident that I'm not a total fucking loser but that comes and goes.

When I was 18 it felt like I had tremendous momentum, I thought that by now I'd have a Penthouse, a Playmate and a Ph.D. by now but I guess the future is never what it seems like when you're that age. I know that I stepped off the beaten path, but I don't let myself regret it.

My goals for this last year of my 20s are to triple my income, get out of mom's house, get in shape and start dating again. In that order, but fo'reals I haven't been laid in almost five years.

Attached: 1526440024924.png (657x600, 84K)

31 one here. I graduated trade school.
I’m an HVAC tech well... no not really.
I got fired from a bunch of places. I got a job with a small company. My boss is a nice guy.
Seriously though if roles were reversed i’d Fire me.
School either didn’t teach me enough or i’m Terrible at this.
I’m not very mechanically inclined.
Yet my career is all about being so.
Should I revive my original goal of being a psychologist or should i endure and hope to one day be a decent tech?

i could also use some advice.

28 here. i got a degree in econ 2 years ago and i have nothing to show for it. it was my back up plan after i realized i was only going to complete a minor in comp sci and never get the full thing because i didn't actually know how to code shit. i've worked one throwaway job in an office where the pay was slightly above working in retail.

no real life friends since i was in high school and my only online friend is a girl that i've fallen for.

i'm thinking about applying to teach english in japan or somewhere else in asia. the only problem is that doesn't guarantee long term employment.

>went back to school for software dev because 'it has good prospects'
>everyone keeps asking "you're still in school? when are you gonna get a job?"
>graduated and applying for jobs
>can't find fuck all
>too tired and apathetic to work on personal projects and make a good portfolio

i think im just not fit for this world, everything is too competitive

29 here. Wish I had a time machine. Fucking hate this point in my life.
>go to work
>go home
>repeat
“Just have to find a good woman around your age user”
Every good and decent girl Ive met around my age is either married or had kids.
>TFW you should have tried harder to make things work out with your last girlfriend.

honestly, I would leave and do the TEFL thing. apply in South Korea as well, you never know what could end up happening, it may lead to more opportunities.

I'm in the same boat as you right now. Did the Comp Sci minor and realized I can't code (I can't focus on anything) and now regretting life but trying to push past it.

Oldfag here.

While I am reasonably successful, I have spent the last 2 years since I graduated in the insurance and auto repair world as an appraiser. But now I want to do IT, and i feels like every fucking place i interview at doesn't think I'm worth it. The job hunt gets so fucking old. Waiting for the magical call, getting stupid phone interviews and then having the actual job be something completely different than what the fuck i even applied for, yadda yadda yadda.

How the fuck do people get into the IT game?

you have to be autistic enough that programming or sysadmin is your hobby and all you do in your spare time

there are hundreds of applicants to every decent job so they have no reason to take someone who isnt autistically obsessed with the work

turning 29 soon gril here

I decided to go back to community college and I should be transferring to a uni next year. Best decision I've ever made.
I'm making lots of new friends, getting financial aid, working on very interesting projects and feel like life is worth living.

I especially enjoy socializing with young people as I feel like it keeps me young. I still look like a college kid since I'm living the college life while all my friends look old and fat and want to have kids and hate their 9-5 lives.

I'm planning on becoming a college professor so I can bask in the kids' youth forever and always have something interesting to wake up to, even if it's just my own research. Beats a 9-5 living hell. I'm willing to be extremely competitive in order to get it too.

40 oldfag
Learn to forgive yourself.
You may have made some poor choices, so what? Make new choices and go in the direction you want to go. But MOVE faggot.

>TL;DR not doing it is not going to make it happen

I’m good at art and stuff like that. I’m always doodling and improving. When I was 20 I had two friends and wanted desperately some company. Every week without fail I would make a really nice painting or drawing and just leave it outside my house. Sometimes I would even give them to random strangers. People started asking me why I did that , then I told them the truth and now instead of having 2 friends now I have 25! Do something similar and I’m sure you will gain friends in no time! I wish you the best of luck user!

You know what? You should do a once in a lifetime journey with a couple people and go to some place like the Antarctic or chernobyl go fucking crazy! Who fucking cares!?

Turning 27 here.

Life isn't so bad, however I feel as though I had more potential and I squandered it all.

I'm an Off-Shore engineer and its hard NOT getting a job offer every day. But I studied aeronautics and I want to get back in my field, which is nonexistant in my country. I passed my pilot's exam, but cant fly due to an injury. I failed my traffic control exam.
I have no right to complain as most of the people I know still stoch shelves, but I feel like I fucked up when even handed a royal flush.
It comes down that mommy told me Im a special snowflake but I'm just a regular Joe.

Atleast I bought a house and have a loving GF that waits for me to come home to play vidya together.

Recently lost most of my childhood friends. Seems its part of getting old. Got into a disagreement about the rent one was paying me for staying at my place, and that killed most of my social circle in one blow.

Life isn't bad, but I feel some disgust and dissapointment for myself anyway

Attached: 1531458381054.jpg (437x431, 28K)

>Do you have any hobbies user?
Not really, besides the usual of videogames and anime both of which I lost interest almost a decade ago. I mean, remember that thread of that user lamenting the fact that he missed out on the entirety of geekdom after finally visiting a con for the first time? I feel that way too.

>I feel as though I had more potential and I squandered it all.
Sounds like it but you don't have near as bad as the other losers in this thread.

See my post here >

>27f
>Not really intelligent i think. Had a 4.0 GPA during college.
>Don't really know what to do with my life.
>Want a good job, but also want that marriage/family life.
>Just trying to get a random job and survive.

Could be worse..

BUmp

>grew up in a poor household, parents worked multiple jobs to make ends meet
>eventually they bought a business and were gone from 6AM to 9PM
>in my mid-30s now
>now have a mindset that I can't make enough money
>have multiple jobs, about to pick up a 4th
>have everything I could want, like a house, car, etc but I feel bad when I spend money
I hate this

>turning 29 very soon
>felt like I was getting things in order
>thought I was going to marry my girlfriend
>suddenly it all goes wrong
>break up with gf
>one of my best work friends is leaving
>getting a new boss

I've nothing else to look forward to now. All my future plans just lost.

What do, fellow relatively old anons?

Attached: sad-pepe-640x480.jpg (640x480, 29K)

The less time I spend on Jow Forums, the better I feel about myself.

I wish I had done this like 8 or 9 years ago. The first few years on Jow Forums were funny and interesting but it got shit pretty fast and now it's just an overflowing port-o-potty on the last day of a music festival.

Attached: 1518213015325.png (360x480, 233K)

I see this on /b/ a lot, people like "/b/ sucks now." /b/-- Jow Forums-- has always sucked, we just got old enough to discern that critically.

nah man it's different now. Not just /b/ but the whole site itself.

10 years ago were we anonymous and were into lulz which was just laughing at anything and anyone. There was racist shit and people making fun of gays and whatever but it was all done in a way to get a cheap laugh. and even before that in the first few years of Jow Forums it was just "lol".

2018 is about being a kekistani and saying kek and taking your political beliefs extremely seriously. If you say lol or lulz you'll get accused of being a redditor it's so stupid.

The whole "normies get out reee" thing too is just retarded. Jow Forums was never JUST completely retarded autistic pissbottlers. of course there were always a bunch of them but for the most part it was just relatively normal people with dumb friends and an ugly girlfriend who also enjoyed being on the internet.

Attached: h73gcyzuwb7z.jpg (1080x720, 91K)

>Turning 29 next month. Achieved nothing socially or career-wise except a 2.2 degree in maths over 7 years ago.

Where do you live bro?

hey man good for you, I'm actually going down the same road.

>/b/-- Jow Forums-- has always sucked, we just got old enough to discern that critically.

That's not true. Jow Forums was ironically more welcoming when it was still known as the "internet hate machine" and had meetups/gatherings on individual boards. It was relatively creative as well and boards beyond /b/ had content of value.

Now it's just literally a base for lazy zoomer incel shitheads.

London.

The crap non-gentrified parts to be exact.

Why not apply for entry level jobs? A 2:2 in Maths can get you one in London.

I don't even know what I should apply to. And most seem to have a minimum of 2:1

>And most seem to have a minimum of 2:1

Ignore this part. Just apply.

Get some data analysis jobs. They're most likely better paid & easier than whatever you're doing now. Go on Indeed or Cv Library and just browse & apply for everything you can.

Turn 31 today. Considering going to community college for a computer program because physical wear and tear along with having fluctuations in income doing seasonal work is wearing me down psychologically.

Attached: ToughDayPepe.jpg (1080x844, 93K)

It may have been better than it is now but that's the lowest bar humanly possible

Alright. How do I explain my work experience only consisting of portering and supermarket work for the last 5 years?

Say you were taking a break to care for a relative but now want to take your career seriously.

Just accept that most people don't become great successes and that you're one of them. Why we tell our children they're all gonna be bruce wayne someday I have no idea.

Become a psychologist as soon as you can muster the financial resources to do it seriously.

You'll never be good at something you don't like or if you don't have what it takes (except if you have a very rich personal life). Better be good with 10 years more and less money. I know lots of examples (mechanical engineer, not even bad, massage therapist and having to go back to live with his mom at 28, failed navy officer starting college again at 27 to become a psychologist, trade school graduates turned farmers and mountain guides at 25+).

A friend of mine with some useless social science degree did that in China, worked some related jobs too, now he helps European local governments and public bodies do business in China. It's not paying much but he gets to meet lots of people and he's studying part time to get a useful degree.

snap

Im almost 29.
I still have trouble deciding what i want in life or what i want to be good at.
Im not sure what it is. Maybe fear of responsibility/

Currently most of hirings are people with 8-10 years experience. I'm 28 and working to get that myself (networks and security, no real programming or software development) if my plan of getting into diplomacy in 5 years fails (it will most likely, since I can't find the time to study and I failed engineering grad school). Currently working as a sailor and IT supervisor on the boat but there have been ups and downs. My current job has been rewarding personally, but not at all financially, and I don't know what awaits me in 5 years time when I get too old for that kind of jobs, fail to make it into the maritime branch onshore and the IT job market crashes.

This.

I have nothing going for me and I don't know what to do . I had no significant experiences that make me want to create. I have nothing I even want to do on a vague level . I can't find anything interesting I feel like a void of a person .

>the realization that I peaked in high school and the peak wasn't even that good

Attached: Assange.jpg (470x357, 36K)

>30
>Making decent money
>Have bad back pain and today a head ache because I recently moved

Can't wait for my king size bed

You miss all the shots you don't take. Pick something and live it out

Coursera.org or community college.

I already went to college once I have a worthless degree already. I want a thing to do with my life but that doesn't really exist

I don't think people give old Jow Forums enough credit. Jow Forums was decent but maybe everything of that era was full of potential.

Bump.

kys losers

I don't know what you faggots are complaining about. I feel great being a boomer/wizard, so much more peaceful and happy than my 20s.

Attached: 60ZrEg1.jpg (1920x1080, 432K)

Stop being protective of your depression. Stop looking for reasons to have it, and change something.

It's who I am if the choice is to spend the rest of my life on drugs and pretending then I'll take the other option

29-year old female here.

I've done a fair amount with my life, especially when I was 20-23ish. I feel as if I'm not doing enough now, especially since all of my friends are doing a hell of a lot more than I am (kids, world traveling to "dangerous" places like Tunisia, Greece, and Chiapas, getting their PhDs and becoming world-renouned intellectuals). Meanwhile, my grades in college were too shitty for grad school, I don't have enough money to travel very far, and my self-confidence is utter shit. I also desire to learn foreign languages and get back into reading and writing intellectual shit. Also, since I'm approaching 30 I NEED to find a man, fuck him, and have a baby ASAP. Right now I feel as if I'm trapped in a vicious cycle: I'm unemployed, I feel brainfogged all the time, and I feel as if I'm going to die alone without having done anything of note. What do?

Just take the money and run.

>Boomer
Alright this is a new one to me. It's been popping up lately and I always associated Boomer with baby boomer, but you're all clearly using it in a new context and I missed the memo.

Please enlighten.

The other user didn't say take drugs.

Look man I studied psychology in university. I'll admit I never finished, I'm.not an expert or a doctor, but I know enough to tell you the other user nailed it with

>Stop protecting it and change something.

Too many people these days thanks to social media awareness are just dooming themselves to this thing because they just attach their whole identity to it.
If you're depressed, far more likely than not your routine is wrong. Your jobs wrong, your friends are wrong, your life course is wrong, something, anything.
If you do the same thing every day, it won't change which should be very obvious to people but it isn't (for more cases than just depression).

The meds themselves aren't meant to mask either. They're supposed to be a boost to help overcome the symptoms that cause the lack of motivation so that you *can* change your routine.
But people fuck that up too, they get their drugs and think that that's their life now.

I'd turn my life around if I could find a single other direction . I just don't know anything about any other path

That's on you to learn. Breaking away from my petty education and more into experience..
It's important to understand this: you don't know what you don't know.
You don't know any other oath because your ears and eyes aren't open and you aren't searching. When was the last time you did a job search in your area regardless of if you have a job or not?
When was the last time you checked through Coursera or any other online learning platform looking for certificates or training that could be an asset?

One thing I'd strongly suggest you.try as a project is entrepreneurship or side cash in general opportunities. There's a million. Whether you go buy some shit from a close out warehouse and sell it on eBay, go scrap hinting (if you have a car) or put an ad on Kijiji and charge someone to do a thing for them, making your own money from scratch is easy and full of learning and adventure. Give that a shot man. Start with YouTube videos.

Just try something new everyday. If you have no ideas literally go to a library and read some non fiction. Books are far superior to the internet still.

>dangerous
>Greece
Wut.

The obvious answer is to find a sugar daddy.

27 here.

I just came back to my home country from possibly one of the greatest experiences I have ever had in my life, becoming a scuba dive instructor. I knew that, at this point, it was not the long-term commitment that I was looking for, but at this point, while sitting home, applying for jobs and having as shitton of job interviews, I feel out of place between these two places.

Directionless, in life, one could call it. Been away for 5 months. How do I make my life have direction again? And how do I make the people around me understand?

You haven't seen the massive riots?

Not going to happen. I couldn't give my body to any man other than the man I love.

Do you only get your news from Jow Forums and breitbart? No wonder you have trouble finding a man if you are this dumb.

Athens is pretty much ruled by ANTIFA.

So the answer is "yes, I get all my news from Jow Forums and breitbart".

Don't derail the thread.

It's something Jow Forumstards frequently do.

Anyone else kinda depressed at the lack of a (non-familial) female presence in their life? Like not even romantically, just plantonically.

>Say you were taking a break to care for a relative but now want to take your career seriously.
I'll try that.

Some dumb meme that newfags are using to shutdown oldfags.

Some idiot misused boomer thinking it just mean "older person" and the internet fucking ran with it.

The guy from here. Trust me that having female presence in your life changes nearly nothing if you were unhappy to begin with. They're a catalyst for happiness if you have your life in order, not a source for it.
If you are already having a hard time getting up in the morning, the schizophrenic drama and emotional investment of a relationship will NOT make things better

Attached: 1530217350637.gif (320x245, 1.89M)

>Anyone else kinda depressed at the lack of a (non-familial) female presence in their life? Like not even romantically, just plantonically.
Yep. It's so hard for me to make friends, and it seems like specifically with women. Usually we don't "click"

No offence but I don't think you've had that problem of never having any female relationships. I mean, I'm not even talking about romantic relationships. To be honest I don't really have that many male friends (literally just 2 people who probably hang with me out of pity) either but maybe having a female friend with different views on things would've helped.

Bump.

Bump.

Do stronglifts 5x5 and/or BJJ

lmao what a loser!

28, turning 29 in about 4 months. I've been working toward my financial goals little by little but I feel like I'm in need of a change in my personal life. I'm tired of doing the same shit for fun all the time. My friends are growing older and settling down, getting married and having kids. I'm not in a rush but I do feel the void between us all building as our own personal living situations change.

My day job work environment is also toxic. I want to get away from that but I need to income right now to help finance my side business.

Also I haven't gotten laid in over a year and it's only now started to fuck with me since the last girl I dated for a little while blue balled me twice. Never have I been invited over by a chick, heavily made out and still didn't get my dick wet...until now. Twice in a week. I've stopped seeing her but I feel like it's awakened my libido again and now I'm just sexually frustrated all the time. I don't even want a relationship, I just want a fuck buddy. Masturbation has gotten hella boring and pointless.

Turning 25 in a month. What can I do to make the most out of the rest of my 20's?

Are you attractive? If so there's still hope.

Hardly ever do I find good advice on Jow Forums but these are actually pretty good

>I'm planning on becoming a college professor
This actually seems like a cool idea, good luck to you!
I've had a few other career ideas (primarily a freelance artist/graphic designer or a game designer or some sort) but an art/graphic design professor sounds like one I might be interested in as well.

BTW I'm a 27 year old single childless male who recently graduated with an associates in graphic design (I also have an associates in programming/IT but I hated that field, I only stayed because my mom pressured me not to drop out) and I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I would love to transfer to a 4-year uni but I don't want to go into debt.

It's kinda over by 25 if you haven't gotten anywhere.

Don't listen to defeatist faggots like this

/thread

Hey man, it took me 8 months to find a job out of school (admittedly I didn't look too hard for the first two and had a shitty resume for the following 3-4) but it's largely a numbers game. Keep trying to improve your resume and tailor it as best you can to each application (I understand that it can be time consuming, but if you've got the time it helps). Having a portfolio of sorts can look good, and if nothing else teach you something new but are you feeling already burned out? I know I was getting really disheartened after the first few months, but it paid off in the end.

Don't lose hope, you'll find something eventually. Just keep trying to improve every day

Can anyone help me out? I'm 27/ male, just realized I am going to turn 28 in about 4 months. I am not content on the current status on my life. I graduated 2 years ago with a degree in public health. I have not done anything with this degree except work at a 9.00 an hour job. I don't even know what to do with the degree. I've failed to get into nursing school several times, and I am not even sure I want to go to nursing school. I recently did terrible at an entrance exam at a accelerated nursing program. I have no girlfriend and no confidence right now to even seek one. I live with my mom,have no savings but luckily no payments. I do smoke weed, which I admit is not helping my bank account. I just feel so stagnant, it's pretty terrible but I have no direction.

Attached: download.jpg (248x203, 12K)

hi, i'm only 27, but i feel like i have the maturity of a 50 year old. it sucks...

It depends on what you mean by "the IT game"

Do you want to be a help desk jockey? A server admin? A sysadmin? A Cisco slave? An IT manager? A network admin? A Java programmer? A web developer? A break-fix tech? An IMAC tech? A MAC tech?

Saying you want to get into the IT game is like saying you want to get into medicine.

Give us some specifics!!

Build yourself up for your 30s. That means getting as much education, skills, experience as possible.

honestly just go into debt and take the 4 year route but like study something worthwhile.
If you're gonna stay with the art thing, do it all in and treat it like a career not a hobby.
Otherwise do a career that you could see yourself pursuing with blind ambition and be willing to compete in. Even if it sounds silly like humanities or history, if you're willing to REALLY compete and get the academic job or whatever editor or whatever job you want, you'll do fine. You just have to find something you're willing to fight tooth and nail for and put in the extra curriculars or time for.

You're gonna be in debt for the rest of your life one way or another, make sure you get something out of the debt, and nothing lasts longer than education as it doesn't expire and it doesn't break down or get sold. It's the best investment for credit other than property.

also thanks! good luck to you too!

Did you list your school projects in your portfolio?

That's pretty much all I'd be able to list. My only personal project is a GUI-sorter/namer/image setter written in C++/sql for all of my gook music.

Is it just me or does everyone feel completely ignored by the world. I recently read a good book by a small publishing company and I sent them an appreciative email and they never responded. It's just an example but like, when people need something from me, usually work related, I'm expected to respond instantly but no one ever gives the same attention to me. I guess this could just be wrong or overly-sensitive but it's this nagging feeling I've had my whole life.

I disagree with this post. , you're 27 and you have two degrees. Associates degree, but still. What are you waiting for? What's the point in going to university until you're 31?

It sounds like you're delaying going out to the world. That is, getting a job or making money somehow.
What about a career in UX design? I think it would make sense for someone with your academic background.

Thanks. I've improved my resume a bit and been applying to tons of places, and now I'm in contact with 3-4 different companies going through their processes. Hopefully at least one of them will work out.

Besides your career not going the way you want you seem to have checked everything else in life I had only three years ago. I went from being fit and lifting, met the love of my life and we moved in together and made plans for moving south the country into a house and to start a family. A back injury threw the fattest fucking wrench you've not yet seen in those cogs and here I am almost three years later:
>back is blown the fuck out probably forever
>never gonna squat or deadlift ever again.
>haven't worked out since back broke
>No job, no personal economy
>My psyche eventually tanked my relationship
>No woman, no house
Back at square one, living in a small moldy cuckshed on my mom's land/yard without love, no money and no body.
I am 26 years old.

I still love her and she still loves me but we both know life did not work out the way we had planned or wanted.. I should stop ranting and fucking off myself already.

Bump