Alan Watts

What does Jow Forums think about this nigga

Attached: alanwatts.jpg (678x790, 241K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1aPLeLCauNE&list=PLk3ugV_Jm7xLzgr7Ur_XEXk3Bfx5bDSaw&index=26&t=0s
youtube.com/watch?v=r2DbsuzTt6g
youtube.com/watch?v=fBZ3BYXA-s0
youtube.com/watch?v=0CtBdVaChKo
youtube.com/watch?v=bQufTig0leY
youtube.com/watch?v=32fUneixSN0
youtube.com/watch?v=nYHB-xYGf3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=161HhRynbPE
youtube.com/watch?v=Jr_20uEVOiE
youtube.com/watch?v=XcMM5-zBCEc
youtube.com/watch?v=dRVqDf0HmNU
antilogicalism.com/2017/07/10/alan-watts-the-trickster-guru/
youtube.com/watch?v=rBpaUICxEhk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

some of his stuff is okay
a lot of it is wishy washy hippy stuff
the man died an alcoholic
I will go hear more of his ideas now, however

voice is calming, some of what he says is nice

he is basically an agent of subversion however, as he distracts people from real important issues, however stressful those issues are.

see: bezmenov on the indian gurus etc.

>alcoholic
He died in his sleep of a heart attack at 58. Alan Watts is pretty much THE bridge between western and eastern schools of thinking. All of the things he teaches he cites from various primary scriptures and from his experience traveling the far east. He even has a lecture where he shits on the draconian practices we have for psychotherapy and drug control and does it in a way that doesn't paint law enforcement as a bunch of goons. He is as based and redpilled as can be. Mr. Chinaman doesn't like him because Mao decided to ban Buddhism and Confucianism and Taoism and basically every other school of thought except nihilism and cult of personality.

>important issues
Like what? He is a self proclaimed spiritual entertainer from the 40s. Do you want him to read off the four-O-clock news for you?

Attached: firefox_2018-12-26_17-51-04.png (1920x1080, 272K)

>entire post ignores his alcoholism
Watts doesn't bridge anything, he merely lists off comparisons between Western Philosophy and Eastern in a way that makes it seem he's actually imparting some grand knowledge, ultimately most of what he says is just interesting though experiment. There is nothing you can take from what Alan Watts puts forward that you couldn't do so more fully and accurately than from the actual philosopher who formed the ideas Watts just regurgitates.

its interesting, dont let it run your life but some of his lectures are good

Some of his stuff is ok. The problem with him is mostly that traditional wisdom from foreign cultures can be really difficult to translate. I fear that a lot of the material he covers ended up making him a relativist.

While i have enjoyed listening to his stuff, I can't take it seriously anymore. Being an alcoholic, having like 5 ex-wives and being a relativist doesn't seem like ancient wisdom correctly translated. It seems more like a smart man broken by the 60's counter-culture movement. And we all know the forces behind that. Frankfurt school, soviet subversion and cia etc..

Yet “actual” philosopher produce much more garbage, confusion and nonsense and do nothing to serve the public.

Alan watts is worth more than 80% of academic philosophers combined

he's literally "baby's first philosopher"
it's wishy washy sanctimonious rubbish that he used to get laid
what the hell did Watts do to serve the public?

>Yet “actual” philosopher produce much more garbage, confusion and nonsense and do nothing to serve the public.
>Alan watts is worth more than 80% of academic philosophers combined
top brainlet hours up in this thread

Attached: 1467989103910.jpg (517x768, 331K)

the stuff he talks about is pretty entry level
the way he talks is quite entertaining to listen to

my biggest gripe with him is that he is too all over the place and not taking a stand on anything, mocking people`s silly ways of thinking without providing an alternative, or anything constructive to mend the problem

He was a faggot, fuck him. He was rambling how god is a woman or even a black woman. Completely cucked.
God is fascist. He dictates the rules. You either bend the knee and obey him and his rules or die.

my first redpill

youtube.com/watch?v=1aPLeLCauNE&list=PLk3ugV_Jm7xLzgr7Ur_XEXk3Bfx5bDSaw&index=26&t=0s

He doesn't believe in God you absolute retard, you don't even know how to listen right lol

>
my biggest gripe with him is that he is too all over the place and not taking a stand on anything, mocking people`s silly ways of thinking without providing an alternative, or anything constructive to mend the problem
This. It's his relativism showing. He straight up started one of his lectures with something along the lines of "i could tell you the following objectively, but that wouldn't be interesting to listen to, that's why i'll sprinkle in some pathos".
ie he was pretty much just a showman, uninvested in his ideas.
Don't ask me what lecture it was, there's like 100 of them on yt.

> says the nothing burger with no power at all.

i l o l'd

We need a modern Alan Watts.

Nice quotes for inspirational music videos or to mix in the middle of a djent song.
Not much more, an idol of mud for hipsters that want to be profound.

He's not trying to provide an alternative in a specific way of thinking, only a general way of thinking

I agree 100%

I miss this lil nigga like you wouldn’t believe

Great talk on Jesus
youtube.com/watch?v=r2DbsuzTt6g

Good talk by him
youtube.com/watch?v=fBZ3BYXA-s0

One of Terrance Mckenna's best talks
youtube.com/watch?v=0CtBdVaChKo

Really good talk by Alan on God
youtube.com/watch?v=bQufTig0leY

Attached: 404816.jpg (1920x1081, 842K)

For all the philosophical insight and the deep wisdom of his messages, he died relatively young...

subversion artist for globo homo

but he did so peacefully

You are the real cia nigger user

I hope this is a shitpost otherwise you are a complete brainlet who can't into metaphor and symbology, but I guess that's pretty obvious from your notion of god.

But he did believe in god, just not in a skydaddy way.

commie faggot

>wanting to live a long life

Why?

but if god was a black women that would be the skydaddy way....

fucking wrong, why do you speak when you dont know?
youtube.com/watch?v=32fUneixSN0

more on his political views
youtube.com/watch?v=nYHB-xYGf3Y

more politics
youtube.com/watch?v=161HhRynbPE

Entry level new age bullshiter

Too repetitive for my taste

I prefer his nemesis, alan watt...
cuttingthroughthematrix.com

who's a top level new age bullshitter?

The value of alan watts is his interpretation of eastern philosophy and his remarks on the ego. If you dont find his views on those subjects fascinating I would assume youre a brainlet to be honest

>Rips off Jung in 30 minute lectures and incorrectly describes Buddhist tenants

wowwwww Alan Watts is so brilliant guys

He wasn't saying god was a black woman, he was pointing out how God is generally associated with light and man. God being the first principle, would certainly contain both of these aspects, since they emanated from it. It's not even about god having a physical or otherwise avatar, it's just making a point about people's general perception of god. His view of god was basically the universe itself and its creative potential (laws of physics, logos) and how that creative force expresses itself as aperture for consciousness. It's the all is one approach to things. If you don't believe that, that's fine, but don't speak on things unless you actually understand them. You could not have interpreted what he was saying in a more pleb face value way. The worst part is he explains it outright if you listened for another two minutes.

He's pretty cool

He admits that he takes from Jung, and he is famous for his descriptions of Buddhism

youtube.com/watch?v=Jr_20uEVOiE

I listened to his shit before and found him condescending and patronising, cos he travelled east for a few months. Typical western newage fraudulent snake and lobster salesfaggot

Part of it is that people were really silly back in his time, but I think you are exaggerating

This. He was so far up his own ass it was ridiculous. Funny how all of the critiques of western civilization he furthered somehow didn't apply to east asian barbarism. Typical orientalist cuck.

He didn't even know the difference between the Vajryana and Mahayana schools of Buddhism

>He doesn't criticize the east so why does he criticise the west
The thing is no one cares. We live in the west.

Also can you show me where he confuses those?

He glows in the dark

His book "The Joyous Cosmology" is a good read. But I think like all of the acid gurus he works for the spooks, whether knowingly or not. They were all involved in MKULTRA trauma programming of the masses. He is certainly better than Tim Leary who glows like a nigger, and that machine-elf Terrance McKenna.

before philosophy:
Wow this guy is profound

after taking a philosophy course:
This guy is just a drunkie, and a wannabe buddhist

After getting into philosophy:
Actually, this guy is profound.

>see: bezmenov on the indian gurus etc.
please elaborate

He fetched Eastern ideas and explained them to Westerners. He did a little bit of shading to it, but mainly just presented it as is. Not a bad thing to do in the marketplace of ideas. He didn't favor the communism of Confucianism over the individualism of Taoism, which is more than I can say for most.

fucking terrible

We have him.

Attached: Varg-Vikernes-July-2013 (1).jpg (720x480, 44K)

I enjoy listening to WattsWave while I'm working, some of the stuff he says is interesting, but he's obviously just an advanced level hippy. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but it's just not very substantive.

STEM here. Whilst a lot of his stuff is newage woo, and can border on nonsense at times, he admitted he was just kicking ideas around, so I don't mind him, unlike charlatans like Deepak Chopra (which I still admire in a strange way as he realised that he can make far more money scamming sub 100 iQ hippies, instead of being a researcher or working for a consultancy).

Alan Watts chillstep mixes are comfy study music

>WattsWave

yo my nigga

Attached: a2062152562_10.jpg (1200x1200, 208K)

>Preach peace
>Drink self to death and treat family like shit
The eternal boomer

Attached: 1535670129317.jpg (480x360, 19K)

>b-but he's a boozer

So were the overwhelming majority of these lauded philosophers whose cocks you're scrambling to suck

Attached: 1543354419745.gif (446x469, 1.46M)

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

youtube.com/watch?v=XcMM5-zBCEc

> He didn't even know the difference between the Vajryana and Mahayana schools of Buddhism

Now I know you're just bullshitting. Watts did more to bring Buddhist conceptions into the Western mind than a dozen academic translators.

I enjoyed some of his works. I don’t really think he did Buddhism justice, but his work on Taoism was good (given the relative lack of Taoist thinkers in the West). Like most Taoism it doesn’t really have any big picture or political applications . He is useful if you have a suicidal 17 year old in your life though.

This niggas gay. Worthless hippy, demented misinterpreter of the Dao De Jing. confuser of youth, deceiver, and fool. I repeat, this niggas gay.

possibly the wisest man of the last 200 years

Alan Watts was probably the first Western philosopher to really get things like Buddhism and Taoism correct. He's probably better than 80% of the stuff out there on those topics, written in English.

However, since him there have been a ton of great writers on those subjects, who were honestly a lot better than him, from Asians who learned to speak English like Shunryu Suzuki and Thich Nhat Hanh, to westerners who knew more about those subjects like Brad Warner, to just better English translations of stuff like the Tao Te Ching and Zhuangzi. There may only be 20% of stuff better than him, but that's a huge, endless 20%.

Still, you could do a lot worse than Alan Watts, and unfortunately most people do a lot worse.

Well I hate most of chopra, I think his book the Buddha was decent. Considering all of the sutras are translated into most languages it’s better to read them, but as far as overall theme of Buddhism I think he got it. Shame hippis “love” Buddhism because it is litteraly the most anti drug religion in the world.

Have you read spiritual materialism ?

>Implying Greeks didn't consider fermented alcohol be the archetype of the lunatic dread that the gods experienced when conquering and consuming the blood (wine) of their foes. Alcohol consumption was largely considered barbaric by many stoics.
>Implying Christ did not liken to wine to the judgment from the word of God (i.e., lawful condemnation), suitable only to those who were in the process of dying in a willfully unsaved state -Proverbs 31:6 (among many).

Attached: thegreeksandtheirrational.jpg (1337x2005, 343K)

>There is nothing you can take from what Alan Watts puts forward that you couldn't do so more fully and accurately than from the actual philosopher who formed the ideas Watts just regurgitates.
That's right, but you're ignoring that Watts did that decades ago, when translations were rarely available and his interpretation of eastern traditions are actually not that bad. E.g. in his book "The Way of Zen" he shows he has a good understanding of Zen, better than most people today who are just into pop-Zen.
He called himself a philosophical entertainer and he was doing a good job with that, imo.
>STEM here.
>unironically saying that as some kind of credential
lol

>Zhuangzi
The best translation is The Complete Works of Chuang Tzu (1968) by Burton Watson.

>implying that any of this means that isn't a faggot

Attached: 1543941601729.jpg (367x448, 52K)

I like his stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=dRVqDf0HmNU

>Reach a (((zen)))-like level of idiotic faggotry, that you are immediately incapable of realizing what a faggot idiot you are.
Namaste, goyim.

>he thinks I don't know I'm a faggot

Attached: 1545088203436.jpg (500x392, 118K)

In the 50s and 60s he was subversive to the rigid religious institutes, but right now his work actually helps to awaken agnostics and atheists.

>Use tao te ching
>Repeat the same numbers
>Mystifiy low IQ Eastern heretics
>Attain level of self-awareness wherein said numbers can be intentionally acknowledged, convincing yourself that it now merits producing a selfish sense of pleasure.
>Barbaric belief is reinforced by a bunch of polytheist chink animals.
Namaste, white man.

Attached: goyimboard.jpg (596x374, 38K)

Hes alright. Especially for just the average joe looking for a good perspective on life once in awhile. Sort of an anti depressive.

Guenon and Evola came before him. Guenon is a much better and earlier bridge.

I always like this essay by Watts.

The Trickster Guru
antilogicalism.com/2017/07/10/alan-watts-the-trickster-guru/

> Credential as an entertainer

based

> "being STEM" means you opinions means shit

Alan Watts illuminates but does not enlighten.

Alan Watts is an excellent anti-guru, but the original anti-guru is Krishnamurti

he died in 1973 you stupid gaper fuckhole spem drinker

how did you get to be so stupid?
checks flag...
nevermind

Alan Watt > Alan Watts

Apples>wrenches

you stupid fuck
move to canuckland and do us burgers a favor

>Too repetitive for my taste
your taste for spem?

>You are the universe man

There I summed up every bullshit thing he said.

Glad he died alone, screaming in his own shit and alcoholic

A degenerate with 3 ex-wives and an alcohol problem, spouting sophistry.
Let's take this video - it's brainlet bait (almost 2 mil views) so it'll do:
youtube.com/watch?v=rBpaUICxEhk
>existence in the universe is playful. It isn't necessary, it isn't going anywhere.
Right off the bat you can sniff out the platitudes. The first sentence means nothing except sounding nice. The second one is a statement of fact in the absence of knowledge. Especially since he believes in an afterlife - stating that "existence isn't going anywhere" is pretty contradictory to what he believes. But it sounds nice. It sounds playful
>it can be best compared to music. because music is playful. you say you PLAY the piano.
Holy semantics shit. In my language you "sing" the piano, so that bullshit only works as a wordplay in english.
>music differs from travel. when you travel you are trying to get somewhere.
What about a joyride. What about talking a walk and daydreaming?
>one doesn't make the end of the composition, the point of the composition
Ever read any mystery novel ever?
>if that was so the best conductors were the ones who be those who played (even thought conductors don't play) fastest
If the destination is the goal, or the point, the speed at which you arrive to it has no bearing.
>and there would be composers who wrote only finales
It's not a finale if there's nothing leading up to it, which gives it the definition - of a finale.
>he makes some lame joke that he laughs about
>when dancing you don't point at a particular spot in the room
Yes, you do. It's called having "steps". Also you can't dance a tango in a 2x4 room, but you can do the twist.
>life is all graded because of the schooling education system. we put the child in the corridor in the grade system and now you go to kindergarten, then first grade, then high school, then college and etc. then you get a job (he chooses insurance because it sounds boring to hippies). cont

cont.
>it's coming, that great thing. then you wake up at 40 - I arrived. and you don't feel different.
>then at 65 you have savings but you're no longer really alive, you're more or less impotent and they go rot in a old people's home
>and we cheated ourselves all along the line
>we thought at life as a journey - to get to the end. maybe success or heaven. but we missed the point. we were supposed to sing or dance while the music was being played.

So let's sum up. Getting an education, which is measured by tests and grades is dumb. As well as college and a job. This is how hippies see life. Just chores, man. Because they have an almost allergic aversion to responsibility and planning.
He completely skims the socialization that happens and school. The victories and heartbreaks along the way. Statistically most people find their mates at school/work. So there's that. Also taking pride in one's work.
Anyway to boil it down - he is advocating for utter hedonism, while painting a normal, responsible life as "missing the point".

They identify the same problems but come to opposite conclusions. Varg wants human labour to replace the machine's, whereas Watts wanted machine labour to replace human's.

Myth of Myself. Listen up faggots

it's called the brahman beatnick

>"I've seen God.. she is black"
In one of his analogy's.

since he is dead he doesn't really give a fuck now does he

I think there's a lot of wisdom in what he has to say, but I think he fell flat on his face when it came to his view on hedonism.

>STEM here.
fuck you egghead

new age hippy shit; mostly anti-establishment type stuff
>the crucifix is not found in nature, therefore it is unnatural, unlike the flowing of a stream that you imagine yourself deeply immersed in like a fish, a golden, shimmering fish

kys winston

ur a fucking faggot dude.
seriously...fuck you

>This is how hippies see life.
Well said user. Grew up reading shit like this and wondering why it was so confusing.