Does Jow Forums believe in free will?

Does Jow Forums believe in free will? Or are we simply following the function of our brains which gives rise to the illusion of free will? Could this be the ultimate foundation upon which the argument for different behaviour and culture between races is built?

Attached: brain3.png (2048x1536, 2.87M)

Other urls found in this thread:

queendom.com/tests/access_page/index.htm?idRegTest=3108
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

sure

Free will exists and is the foundation of our society

Free will exists and if it doesn't exist, that should be biologically provable. Also the conclusion should be arrived at that law is purposeless and clearly some people are objectively superior to others.

We're physical beings with physical rules controlling our existence. You're free to let your consciousness rise above the influence of your own physiology, it's usually easy with a little self awareness, but not everyone has the presence of mind or desire to do so.

some people are happy to believe their decisions are at the mercy of their hormones and cravings, and will try to appease them, some people aren't aware of their influence, the really retarded ones can't even recognize adrenaline, but if anyone can be said to have free will it's the folks that can consistently keep their rational mind in control, at least when it really matters, and make rational decisions free of the influence of the irrational and chaotic recesses of the mind that give rise to impulse.

No, it is an illusion. Past and future already exist in spacetime. Once you study special and general relativity, you pretty much gets it and it is depressing as fuck. We live in a 4D universe, what we experience as 3D space and a moment in time is just a single slice of that 4D spacetime. The next slice (the next moment) already exists. So no, you don't control shit even if you think you are. This is the ultimate blackpill and there's no coming back from it. I've been on antidepressants ever since I understood that

Attached: lightconeBig.gif (482x482, 6K)

The future. Overcoming free will; where only darkness is chosen.

No, we’re matter just like everything else and obey the same laws of physics. That being said it doesn’t change actions being good or bad, moral or immoral: Evil is evil regardless of whether there’s choice, ditto for Good.

in other words everyone has free will, but not everyone bothers to use it.

In a larger sense, since we're slaves to the need to care for our bodies and health, it can be said that strictly speaking, no, we utlimately don't have free will because we can't elect to give up food and water and continue to exist.

but then maybe suicide is the ultimate expression of free will. brb gonna kms to teach the universe a lesson.

You’re making a common, if retarded, mistake here, fellow burger. Sure, there are biological imperatives (and social imperatives, financial, etc.). But when people talk about ‘free will’, the question at hand is whether it is logically possible that a deterministic system like the universe could have independent regions acting not against or in violation of its rules, but rather in accordance with but indifferent to them. Therefore, your point about biological programming or whatever is inane, pseudo-profound bullshit

>can't connect a question of determinism with the question of how much influence our biological machinery has on our day to day lives
>calls someone else retarded
how about you kill yourself of your own free will buddy

You’re wrong here, friendo. I’m inclined to agree with your assessment of the universe as a static 4D cube. However, to infer from this that there’s some sense in which “our decisions have already been made” is to add a second, perpendicular arrow of time. I.e.—there’s the axis of time that runs moment to moment in the fourth dimension, and you’re adding an extra axis along which the entire 4D cube progresses. And this cannot be. So take heart, buddy. It’s not the case that you’ve “already made” the decision to go to the park tomorrow. It’s simply the case that you “are making” the decision to go to the park tomorrow.

Free will doesn't matter. Some things are done if your own volition. Other things aren't. Your company controls you. Your hunger and sleepiness control you. Your culture controls you. But you choose who to work for. Choose when you go to sleep and what you eat. Choose to participate in the culture. Free will is a retarded debate for underage atheists.

Again, the question is simply not at all the same as anything having to do with biological determinism. I know they both have the same word, so this must be very confusing for you.

free will is a meme
if you dont know about determinism and consider it as the only valid argument you are a stupid idiot and i dont want to talk to you
free will my ass, go get some education.

Free will does matter because our entire society is based around it. If we have free will then wouldn't we expect all races to behave the same when in the same environment? We can observe that this is not the case.

you are a fucking idiot mate
i mean it with all my heart and soul

What part of you is the lever-pulling YOU that makes the decisions, and how does it make those decisions? Do free-willers believe free will is binary, as in, you always choose what you think is good or evil?

>Does Jow Forums believe in free will?
no
read non meme stoics
you only have control over your thoughts

>our physical bodies are separable from a question of universal determinism
somebody has taught you wrong on purpose, most likely as a cruel joke.

> Doesn't want to talk to me
> Talks to me

The intelligence of the meme flag.

>freedom of thought doesn't lead to freedom in reality

>not everyone has the presence of mind or desire to do so.
Why do you think that is?

Arguing free will doesn't exist is as cringe as arguing time doesn't exist. Or as cringe as arguing for the Mandela effect.
>hurr durr I had a very deep thought, whenever you prove me wrong I'll just reply "you can't prove that," I'm 14 and I can't believe I'm more intelligent than most adults

I surmise free will exists, based on the fact that empiricism is fundamentally limited and there are simply things we will never be able to measure and reduce to “muh physical phenomena”. Also the causal chain remains broken, and Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle takes a big hit Andy Sixx in the mouths of any empiricist.

Attached: BCE5AF48-9D9C-4A30-8EA7-C471E55D32A6.png (512x400, 226K)

> Reads questions
> Interprets them as statements

How about a hypothetical consciousness then, dipshit? Would a hypothetical consciousness enjoying free will be in violation of some unknown law of the universe or not? Questions about free will are questions about the nature of the universe, not the specific interplay of various impulses employed by or influencing any given instance of a biological consciousness. I’m genuinely at a loss as to what’s so fucking difficult to understand about this

Uh huh. Lemme guess, you’re one of these tedious cumstains who thinks the mystery of existence can be explained by ‘quantum fluctuations’, right? Or, wait, lemme guess—we’re all living in a simulation, right? Does the simulation have all eleventy-bazillion dimensions and shit that video on string theory you watched talked about?

I may be an idiot, meme flaggot, but I’ll take that over walking around thinking I’ve got some insight into the nature of reality by parroting Michio Kaku Discovery channel nonsense.

Free will 100% exists and was the 2nd offering our creator bestowed on humanity after the gift of life. We operate within a framework of both determinism ( the guidelines and laws of reality like physics and gravity) coupled with randomess created from actions through free will.

My statement was obviously referring to the people arguing free will doesn't exist, like I explicitly stated in my comment. Do you lack elementary school reading comprehension skills? No wonder you believe free will doesn't exist, you have the intelligence of a monkey who only acts upon instinct.

Our will is enslaved to sin and is therefore perverted from what God created when he made man. So while we can make decisions, we cannot make decisions in a way that is righteous (there's always an assertion of the sinful will even in the most righteous acts). We cannot contribute to our salvation.

>How about a hypothetical consciousness then, dipshit?
Ah, I see why you're being so obstinate now. You seem to believe in magic.
>I’m genuinely at a loss as to what’s so fucking difficult to understand about this
Getting mad that others don't share your retarded beliefs is a sign that you might be an idiot. The suggestion that there exists an immaterial consciousness, that only temporarily tethers itself to our physical selves, but comes from ??? when we're born and go to ??? when we die, and that can also, somehow, be imagined to remain independent from the physical universe is pure lunacy.

You don’t have free will until you kill someone

We have free will but it isn't a good thing because we are fucking retarded.

>queendom.com/tests/access_page/index.htm?idRegTest=3108

Errr, No.

Time is not a dimension like the others, and if it was, WILL is a force that enacts itself on reality by changing the patterns of energy and matter.
Add WILL into the equations and the future changes.

Jesus Tap-dancing Christ, son

Ah now I understand. This board is basically /b/ were anything goes. We need an actual /political/ board.

>is there free will

this is a hard question but the answer is this:

Yes AND no.

There are two timelines. In the first timeline, we are free to choose as we please. Nothing is known in that timeline, there is no "fate" because it's all about free will.

We live in the secondary timeline. In this timeline, we don't have free will. We have already made our choices in the first timeline. We are only here to understand WHY we chose to do what we did. We are here only to understand the why. So it's both: We are already fated due to our actions in timeline 1, so let us hope that we chose all the right actions.

Fuck, man. I’m genuinely at a loss here. But here goes: I was using the hypothetical to clarify the essence of the question at hand. I wasn’t asserting the existence of a magical Cartesian type deal. You know how you should’ve known that? Because asserting the existence of an entity or whatever is literally the exact opposite of what “hypothetical” means. Good job teeing off on Cartesian dualism, though. It’s been a total nonstarter for over a century at this point, but gold star.

I’m gonna try one last time to explain this to you, dude. But desu I’m not certain you’re not just fucking with me. But here goes: you know how, say, some numbers stand in relation to the number 2 such that they may be divided evenly by 2, and some don’t? And, like, how that would seem to be in some sense a deep structure of the universe? (Unless you’re one of these math-is-invented people, which....you totally would be). Or how energy is conserved? The structure of the universe, like. And how there simply cannot exist, say, a square the sides of which don’t all intersect at ninety degree angles or whatever. Are you with me, here? I’m talking about some (hypothetical ;)) big gateway in the sky that allows all logically permissible states of affairs through, and stops logically impossible states of affairs. That’s the only “check” being performed by the universe. (Again, you have to use a lot of metaphor discussing this, and I have serious doubts about your ability to follow a metaphor)

Now, completely independent (or, rather, subordinate to, but independently so) this “level” is where something like biological determinism would sit. Am I attracted to big tits because of my genetic imperative to spread my genes to healthy viable offspring? Did I pick my orange shirt over my blue shirt because of some long-lost predator/prey impulse?

No and history is cyclic.

Attached: 1356430688482524.jpg (411x416, 69K)

Everyone believes in free will. No one has it. Do you have the choice of what comes into your mind at random? We are thrown into the world without having any choice as to our innate circumstances. Our cognition and environment is determined, don’t fool yourself.

Who the fuck knows. But what I do know, is that we’re no longer talking about the structure of the universe at this point. The universe doesn’t give a fuck whether I fuck a big-tiddy bitch or wear a purple shirt or ignore my “thirty” impulse until I die. Any and all of those are logically permissible states of affairs. Sure, people who think sociology is deep can argue over to what extent we’re influenced by these drives and yadda yadda yadda. But the question ultimately comes down to whether or not the universe—at the “level” I mentioned above—allows for self-contained, non-deterministic regions governed by independent “will”.

And the answer to this question about the very structure of the universe I assure you does not rely on the specifics of evolutionary biology on some who-gives-a-fuck planet. Do you get that? Do you see how biological drives (and whatever other drives) don’t really speak to logical truths of the nature of reality? Like, it’s not that I’m saying what your absurd mischaracterization said, but rather it’s a case of their being two non-overlapping magisteria: specific instance of biological adaptation vs the underlying nature of things

>scientists claiming they understand consciousness

Attached: e60f0dca6d773188e9e343eb4e6819b5.jpg (560x413, 16K)

>4D.
>Science.

*thirsty

Also, inb4
>durr you believe in a magical logic gate in the sky you idiot

I belief in will to will.

Attached: xkJIbGAvsl4.jpg (700x700, 67K)

you gain more freewill the less pleasure your flesh is, cause it takes control to say no to pleasure. its suffering to say no to pleasure. its the harder thing to do. so ultimately if you wanna be a free monk

water fast for 3 weeks
no fap/sex for 3 months
reduce internet

anything thats pleasurable, it'll hit the wall of questioning if life is meaningful, but welcome to freedom.

Free will for you and every individual exists.
All possible outcomes of your perception have already occurred.
This one is the one YOU have perception of because of the choices You have made, using your free will.
So..Say there are two doors. And you must choose to pass through one or the other. God knows which door you chose because you chose both of them. We can only perceive one temporal line at a time however.
So yes, free will exists. Even tho all possible outcomes have occurred. Or rather because all possible outcomes have occurred.

You mean only drink water for three days right?
That's fine. But do not under any circumstances stop drinking water for an extended period of time. May as well say hold your breath for an hour.
Rule of threes.
3 mins without air
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
All of which of it doesn't kill you will harm you severely.
Of course it's a guideline. Fatties can much longer without food. And fit people longer than 3 minutes without air.

Free will exists. If it did not; we would not be able to come to that conclusion. Since we are able to come to the conclusion free will exists, it does.

No. It's an illusion.

I'd like to believe it exists but unfortunately unless you can turn back time and test it we will never know.