Smart meters:QRD please

Ok what's the deal with these? Just had a coworker call me in a panic that they installed one on his house. They put mine in a month ago, and I haven't noticed any difference. Is this tinfoil /x/ shit, or is it something more?

Attached: 171-0830084829-smartmeter-v01-pho.jpg (545x461, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

smartmetereducationnetwork.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=YYe4SwQn2GE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ask Forest Fire "Paradise" County, CA.

I think it's a rabbit hole. To understand it you'll have to research dirty electricity. The main concern other than that is RF radiation, which decreases exponentially the further you are from the meter. I actually sleep about 5 feet from the electric meter, so because of that I declined the installation of one at my house. This website should help you out:
>smartmetereducationnetwork.com/

WTF man

I forget the guy's name. I think his first name might be Paul, but he lives up in that area.

I didn't go to college for electrical engineering. I learned it myself, and the internet was able to put me in direct contact with such big names as Doug Self and I even have a personally signed note from Sigfried Linkwitz.

>RF radiation
Would you be able to shield that had you had it installed?

Not really, because it's all going to travel through your house wiring, which will radiate it like an antenna. You can buy some appropriately rated capacitors with some internal resistance so you don't have to worry as much about building an appropriate tuned absorbtive resonator and install them in every switch plate and socket like the old audiophiles used to do. Or fetch some cool old hosptial-grade high voltage filters out of the dumpters and put those in as well.

But basically you would want to cover the back and sides of the meter with maybe some steel fins or something like that and tie them into a good grounding point. That would go a good ways to reflecting the EM back out the front of it instead of letting it into your house.

They sell faraday cage type shit for it but it's not going to solve your problem because you'll still have dirty electricity running through the lines in your house like said. Your best bet is just to call the utility company, tell them to come out and switch you back to an analog and eat the $ they charge you.

it injects a ton of noise into the powerline and ruins audiophile's poorly designed equipment

The meter readers can read the meter remotely and not have to walk in your yard. "Freeze mother fucker!!! What are you doing in my yard!!!" "I'm from the power company... I'm a meter reader, here is my ID" "wrong answer"

Attached: DSCN9935.jpg (3264x2448, 1.54M)

>this thread

Attached: 1503013504843.gif (200x200, 2M)

>tfw you rewired the breaker box but you left your bedroom on the same leg as the laundry machines
BRRRCCCHHHHRKKKK!
>oh fug did my speaker coils just eject the cone?
>oh, that's the sound of the laundry machine turning off
>i guess I really should have learned about filtering or at least put my bedroom at the top of the box and the laundry machines at the bottom...

smart meters ruined my life

t. paranoid, wifi sensitive, hippie douchebag

Attached: 1509630022008.jpg (645x729, 49K)

the irony is mass market audio equipments are immune to powerline noise

Smart meters are a Jewish trick to control your house. Don't buy one for your own good.

I've noticed a statistical correlation between post IQ and memeflags. Guess which way it trends.

If that were true then you wouldn't need to have a store install your amp into your car, and your MPC-compliant computer speakers wouldn't pick up my CB radio transmissions.

But what do you care? It sounds like shit anyway. Just set the "EQ" to "nigga music" and turn it up until it rattles.

as a former meter reader cancomfirm

It runs on GSM cellular signals

Where are these meters getting the electricity to run? From my house!!??

How did you learn electrical engineering in your own ? Which books did you read ?

we've had them for a couple years and I don't think there's anything wrong with them except they allow your electric company to rape you and gouge you for electricity usage. our electricity inexplicably spikes during the winter and summer way way over what was the average usage for almost 6 years before the power company installed those. after filing like 6 complaints with the public utilities comission in my state finally it stopped and magically even my normal bill usage dropped like 100 kwh despite no changes in any usage patterns or appliances inside

yeah except in most states the power company owns the meter not the customer and they can do whatever they want to their meters

lol I remember one time I was working in the theater and they fucked up the original install of the audio system (just like the other one the company installed, not to spec at all)

So they had these extra basically tweeters installed because the other ones exploded. But there was so much hum and buzz on the line just from the stage lighting system nobody could sit there and take it. And nobody could figure out what to do about it. Everybody kept trying to change the XLR cables out in case one was broken or the shielding wasn't done right, and they kept sending the mixer boards in for repair until the company said it was because people were dropping food into it.

No, it was just that you had to isolate the amp running the new tweeters from all the line noise. Saved the show on that one once they let me just plug each and every thing around to figure out wtf was going on.

They're watching you while you jack off behind your home or in your basement, watch out!

Ah yes, Jow Forums, the RF engineers

how did you isolate the amp?

>how did you isolate the amp?
i mean

I dunno. I always thought it was cool and interesting from a very young age and my parents let me buy breadboards or books or bags of spare components or whatever else. Probably the first books were those Forrest M. Mims III booklets from Radio Shack, but I also had a decent public library to take books out from.

I think it's probaby like cars, where you just need to get a car and a Haynes manual and start ripping it apart on your own.

Faggot

Up here in Canuckistan people fucking hate the new smart meters because the instant they install it your monthly electricity bill skyrockets for no apparent reason.

Attached: Hmmmmmm.png (1000x995, 783K)

Well the had a "power conditioner" up in the booth. At the time I didn't know enough to know what it really was made of, but it was rated for the power amplifier that ran to the tweeters and once I took it off the midrange and plugged it in to the tweeters then the place was free of horror.

Sometimes, it's something simple and stupid but you just have to experiment. It might have been an early switch-mode power supply, but it was pretty heavy so I don't know if maybe it was just basically a really big telephone transformer with some other stuff stuck on it.

Smart meters are dumb as fuck, slow and have nearly no memory. They use either whatever local cell providers are there to communicate back to the meter data management system , or they use a zigbee serial connection to report to a truck that drives around pinging meters. Most use cellular because fuck driving around and reading meters.

Go look at itron, silver spring networks, and Schneider electric.

It's not rocket surgery And it's no it mind control.

>And it's no it mind control
Good goy

Nope. Former SME at a utility

Go read your underlined passages in the protocols and figure out the skip code.

>going through your house wiring
ffs, just hire an electrician to put an industrial voltage regulator just inside the meter. If there's any weird shit they can pull with voltage manipulation, that'll take that shit right out.

>or at least put my bedroom at the top of the box and the laundry machines at the bottom...

What would that accomplish exactly?

It probably just allows the electric company to check your usage or shut off your power without needing to go up to your house. Basically if you start service they can activate you remotely and detect outages easier. Take off the tin foil.

Sorry, son. It also goes backward through everything you have plugged into your electrical sockets as well as the antennas that all your house wiring creates. The best way to do it is to trace your house wiring all around.

Most electricians are dumb as fuck. You'll never understand what kind of stupid ass decided to wire it up like that and then mislable it. Or you'll decide you'd rather the lights in one room shouldn't go out when the lights in the next room trip the breaker.

>240v
>50hz
Based.
Burgers be mad they can't boil water

I don't know but I developped tinnitus not long after they installed some at my home

but it might be unrelated, since I've abused my hear way too much.

Lmao no. Your watt hours are calculated after the meter load... plus the meters use a negligible amount of energy...

t. EE

You are a stupid faggot and I hate you

Because ever wire carries both resistance and behaves to a small degree like a coil, which brings in reactance if you want to drag this into calculus and math like that.

But we'll put this in terms of impedance. The closer you get up to the power lines running to your house, the lower your impedance, so the closer you are to whatever the bigass telephone pole is putting out. Think about it like modelling the internal resistance of a battery. When you put the heavy duty appliances further down the breaker box, then then they have a little more resistance before getting back up to the top where the power feed comes in. So they will suffer their own voltage sag from the sudden power draw when the big inductive motors turn on or off instead of your bedroom feed.

It's really all about current loops and grounding, if you want to think about it right.

arabs hate smart meters because it means
less oil and gasoline sales to the electric
companies to send out people to read the
meters.

L E A D
E
A
D

it's true
we don't have 220 lines, kettles, or gas ranges because MUH FREEDOM
>t. brewed coffee and eggs with my engine block this morning

Sure, but what would putting the bedroom at the top of the box and the laundry machines at the bottom accomplish in regards to that exactly?

Does tinfoil help. Asking for a friend (an obvious lie. I don’t have a friend. I once had a cat but it died. I think the tinfoil was too tight and it couldn’t breath).

?????????! DOES THIS VIOLATE THE NAP

Attached: pikachu.png (1354x784, 869K)

You’re like a cheer leader. So you noticed my leadership qualities eh? Quite so young beanz, quite so.

Can this thing tell exactly how much wattage is being used at exact time frames? I heard that the smart water meters can tell that I use 3.5 every morning at 7 a.m.

It means the bedroom has priority access to the wave the power lines are putting out while the laundry machines have to go further down the box to get it.

It probably sounds crazy. I never really thought about it that much until I tried to calculate my designs down to -120dB but it actually does drag all the other circuits down back and forth if the single-phase motors are at the top. Just model it like a circuit diagram. That's why the lights vibrate when the thing is running or why the loudspeakers sound exeactly as bad as the corroded relays that control them if you hadn't implemented proper filtering.

*3.5 gallons. Duh

Operator as fug.

Is there anything that pol doesn't have a conspiracy for? The shit that people are posting ITT really make me wonder.
>AC tech and electrician fag

Wouldn't increasing the voltage drop on nonlinear loads cause the appliance to draw even more current causing an increase in the interference you're trying to avoid? Also, I'd imagine the resistance increase from moving a breaker 6 inches down a bus bar would be almost entirely negligible anyway. I'm genuinely curious, if that EE could chime in

Is it a conspiracy theory that I got a nasty shock trying to connect to ends my CATV together in the basement one time and it read at a 90V differential?

I'll give you a hint: it was a ground loop because they ran the lines different ways around the house. This becomes extremely important if you want to devise your own cicuit boards or ICs.

You don't need a smart meter for that, some PoCos user digital meters that just transmit a radio signal. They transmit basic information regarding general usage and tampering, but they don't transmit anything beyond straight kWh, no usage intervals or anything like that though.

No, the extra distance in the box is extra resistance from the feed. It's basically more of a resistor in the LRC resonator that an inductive motor forms. Obviously a longer line out to the laundry machines might make the bigger difference.

But when you get down to it, if you tap the bedroom off the top before it goes to the laundry machines then the bedroom doesn't suffer from the laundry machines. The laundry machines have a higher impedance than the power lines.

I'll take your word for it. In an electricianfag and I've never heard of this getting done so I'm curious about new techniques. In applications like this I think we typically just install an isolation transformer

Just admit it senpai, its magic.

Well, like I said, it comes down to the math of it and if you try to design down to -120dB. My designs basically added up to something maybe a little bit better than -90dB but that's how it goes when you're up against your own smarts and your own budget and time.

Electricianfags don't have anything to gain for wiring a house one way or another when the residents couldn't probably even work a fire suppression device if the the stove grease catches.

I don't believe in the whole tinfoil hat theories about electrosensitivity and shit.
I'm more worried about everyone having an "Internet" controlled breaker and the potential for a massive power outage by local or foreign hackers.
In France, the meter installed at home talks back to a central using a variant of powerline ethernet, not sure how the data goes from there to the big data centers.
However, nothing is ever 100% secure, so now we just added another attack vector to a system that did not really need it.
Also, I couldn't find any independent research on the security of these devices, there's a lot of secrecy around it, it's impossible to just buy own to tear it down, and the one they install in your home has a seal and anti-tampering measures. Supposedly, they are "very safe", says the manufacturer...
It's so safe and so forbidden to look inside that I could have picked two brand new in the street when they were rolling them out and some underpaid electrician just left them here while he went looking for his toolbox or something.
Also, check 28c3: Smart Hacking for Privacy
youtube.com/watch?v=YYe4SwQn2GE

They measure reactive power in addition to real power (old meters can't measure the reactive power)...you'll just get charged more if you have one installed.

Checked and it really is. I have some old VCR chips that are hell to stabilize and then they still sound like needles even though my scope can't pick it up.

And then I got 100 free samples back when something or other was trying a re-run of something disguised as ADSL chips and they just sound like a piece of wire as far as my ears can go. Maybe that's why Intel offered me a job but my ears are still ringing.

Does it record how many times I say the N-word in my house, because they probably have to change the battery.

Attached: fnfj.png (288x341, 143K)

congrats op
ur friend one step closer to an emp proof grid

They use frequency hopping spread-spectrum radio signaling in the 915mhz range, which is pretty much regular UHF.

I found how to trick a three phase smart meter by using the A phase for 110 and running it to ground it registers a negative load.

Normally this triggers a error. If you don't go below zero watts and use this to cancel out your load and you can use free electricity.

nobody would say the n-word even in his house and in the company of a woman

>tell them to come out and switch you back to an analog and eat the $ they charge you.
If the power company did agree do do this, it would be a recurring charge because they would have to send someone to your house every month to read your meter (and only yours, because everyone else has the smart meters). My guess is that they would want to charge you somewhere between $200-$500 per month for this special service so hopefully buddy is rich.

Yes, on my power company's site I can see what they report my usage to be at certain times of the day.

Planning on adding a Z-Wave power meter to see how close it is compared to what I'm being billed for.

I can't see why the water meters couldn't or wouldn't. Still have the old style where the truck needs to roll through to get the reading.

The deal is that it is a super potent EMF current that outputs a ton of Electro Magnetic Radition

And the city/county/state leaves the signal on all the time instead of turning it on once a month to read the god damn meters.

In Portland, OR at least, I have to pay 50$ to get it read by a meter guy that has to come out whenever.

But the signal from my neighbors is still on all the time.

Europe is so far ahead in EMF/EMR safety and precautions.

The cell towers you see everywhere, the radio towers, the satillites all cause disturbances in the body.

If you live under a cell tower, the equilent of radiation you get from it is being in a microwave for ten minutes a day.