SMARTPHONE SALES DECLINE FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER

Why is this, Jow Forums?

Attached: smartphone.jpg (1437x795, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=eek9GtSJHX8
archive.is/29V9s
fortune.com/2018/11/01/global-smartphone-sales-decline-first-time/
ft.com/content/6ef7e850-17e6-11e8-9376-4a6390addb44
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

drumpf's america. smartphones boomed under obama

adoption meets saturation
i bought an $80 samsung phone in 2017 and have 0 reason to replace it

time for Huawei to shine

Market saturation. If you want a smart phone you've probably got one. If they want to sell more of them they're going to have to lower prices.

Future-proof phones from 2016/2017 are still going strong. To upgrade, or to want to upgrade, there needs to be some seriously significant advantages. It’s hard to come up with new advantages besides simply beefing up the specs.

Tons of third worlders dont have phones

Because all the boomers finally have a smartphone and wont replace it until they absolutely need to.

>tfw lack of demand for cell phones collapses the stock market and western society

Boomers at it again.

Attached: 1537003445552.png (247x140, 27K)

Even dirt poor people in remote corners of Africa have smartphones now. The market today is for replacement phones and upgrades. Since most people use cases and the upgrades are meh, even that part of the market is shrinking.

Apparently its normal that a cellphone costs $1000. This is insane to me.

This isn't politics, but I'll answer.
The companies that make these phones have gone lax on planned obsolescence the past few years or so.

18 front facing cameras was a bad idea. Who would have thought?

Maybe people are starting to realize the flexibility and moddability of the device they have in their hands and actually do stuff to fix it when they encounter a problem. It's not like it's difficult either. Then again, maybe I'm being too optimistic about the intelligence of smartphone users.

Good. Smartphones are the same recycle idea. Also who the fuck wants to pay $800 for a damn phone!

They are becoming very stable in performance. I have an iPhone 6S and probably won’t replace it until trump gets re-elected next year.

Because everyone realized how pathetic it is to make $20 monthly payments on $1000 phones that break with the slightest impact

not my problem

Cause niggers can’t afford I phones without obongo nigger gibs

m.youtube.com/watch?v=eek9GtSJHX8

Maybe people already have a fucking smartphone so they don't need another one.

guys like in pic related

Attached: 1529395108288.png (500x858, 177K)

this. i own one and they are awesome phones

Noone needs another $800 phone that looks/functions just like the old one.
The sheep are refusing to be milked.

this, but I also think people have switched over to cheaper cell phone plans that do not give you the credit towards upgrading your phone every 2 years

>No link
Are all the fags who bump these threads literal bots or is Jow Forums just this fucking shit now

>having a smart phone
>in 2019
Uncle Teddy is disappointed in you Jow Forums

>2014
>phones cost ~400 new
>most carriers give you a phone for free or very close when you sign up for a new plan

>2018
>phones are 800-1000 bucks
>no phone with a new plan, no upgrades, no credit
>everyone is leasing their phone and paying a mortgage on it in their monthly bill

gee go figure

What's it like being spied on by both the US and China?

Imagine being this much of a fucking schizo what the actual fuck. Just leave, retard.

The autist in me wants to correct you for typing "no one" as "noone", but whatever, I don't really care anymore.

I think Ted would want his followers to congregate on Jow Forums.

Attached: ted.png (807x499, 1.01M)

Sorry CNN you are not going to trick us into directly linking to your site

archive.is/29V9s

Market saturation. Everyone that is going to buy a smartphone has one across the whole world. The only likely growth in the market is Africa and very rural parts of Asia as people upgrade from feature phones to smartphones. The devices last plenty long, too, as puts it. There's no reason to upgrade every except fashion.

New phones don't do anything new. In general technological progression has halted really.

Because Apple shot itself in the foot with the 8 and X being shit devices that barely barely an upgrade with bugs. This put the meme that iPhone users are just sheep heavily into the normie social circles. Take and then with the jank overheating/exploding phones from other providers. The corporations are pushing the consumers into a position to where’s its better to wait for a new device to sit on the shelf until defects and bugs are worked out, that and the technology is at a platue

Initiating bump sequence......[100%]
bleep blorp

the end is upon us lads. get all the coke you can now because this party is officially over

here's (you)r guaranteed reply, faggot

This a phone from 6 years ago does the exact same shit as the newest iphone

New phones don't do anything worth upgrading for, in fact many of them are worse than they used to be because of form over function meme.

itoddlers btfo

Why?

exactly, and they can't afford the $800 for a used iphone.
as a result, if the industry wants to survive they will have to cater to a lower income bracket.
this means price reductions and efficiency increases

Maybe that was bait, designed to get you to respond.

why thing

here you go fucking idiot

fortune.com/2018/11/01/global-smartphone-sales-decline-first-time/
ft.com/content/6ef7e850-17e6-11e8-9376-4a6390addb44

you mean not be spied by us

Why have a tracking device that records everything and allows people to immediately reach out to you whilst causing great stress and depression?

How else am I supposed to shitpost at work

because they raised the price to a thousand bucks. and at a thousand bucks, I will keep my Iphone 6s until it is dead, and then I will have to make a decision as to the next phone I own. I dont have much interest in a thousand dollar phone

you realize you can put anti tracking software in a phone

Kek, you'd wish.
Didn't you read the story of the chink kid who literally sold his kidney in order to buy an iphone? Other than people who literally live outside of modern society, pretty much everyone has one. There are people who literally starve themselves for a few months in order to save enough money to buy consumer goods.

>>Why have a tracking device that records everything and allows people to immediately reach out to you whilst causing great stress and depression?
This.
I leave my cell-phone at home and walk to work and it's great for improving the mood.

Fuck off shill

market saturation

take the ultimate redpill....get a dumbphone

clearly because the economy is collapsing because of gronald brumpfh and we're going to have a new great depression because of him president glumfph.

Or maybe its because nobody wants to spend $1000 on a minor fucking upgrade that is so minuscule you can't even tell the difference between the last three generations of the fucking phone.

Perhaps the general population is catching onto (((Their))) strategy

10 bucks says the smartphone industry is donating heavy to the Democrats right about now to keep that wall down ;)

Because it's the same piece of shit year after year with either
>New shiny case colors
>Slightly wider OR longer body
>A few microns wider OR longer screen
>No headphone jack
>A camera that takes selfies for you
>VR stickers lol!
Only for the low low price of $1000!!

For fucksake they haven't even made them water proof yet like a GoPro. It's just so tiring.

Attached: 1529484860253.jpg (320x320, 18K)

The dual lense on the camera is pretty nice.

There is some room for improvement with cell phones. I would like to see cell phone cameras to be the same quality as a top of the line Canon DSLR

Attached: E88E702A-A356-4E04-B237-2E7507560EC8.png (750x592, 465K)

No, I can take portraits and extra wide selfies. Can you?

I live in a third world shithole and i paid 20 bucks for a 2018 Huawei y7. The smartphone market here is saturated, almost noone buy iPhones or Samsungs

maybe its a passing fad, people have seen what they have to offer and they aren't buying the new releases anymore. What exactly does a $1000 dollar phone offer that a $80-100 one doesn't?

I have a 6s I never see a reason to upgrade

TIANNAMEN SQUARE WAS DONE BY THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT

This is seriously going to be my next phone.

it's called moore's law.
estimates put the limit somewhere in the 2020s but it seems we have hit the wall early.
essentially computers are now as powerful as they will ever be.
current smartphone technology is as good as smartphones will ever be.
there will continue to be a market, but the exponential growth has died

it is also trivial to buy an overstock phone from some outfit like amazon.
1-2 generations old, never used, like 300 bucks max for a good one

good thing, you social media-loving narcissistic faggot

Also, phone hardware has stopped improving by leaps and bounds like it used to before and most of the new features they try to come up with are just gimmicks for marketing purposes that nobody actually uses so there is no real reason to buy the latest phone every year unless it's to show how much money you have to waste.

because my two year old phone does everything i need it to

exactly this.
i feel bad for anyone with stocks in silicon

>essentially computers are now as powerful as they will ever be

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (681x800, 81K)

Running a 5 year old smart phone, and absolutely no reason to upgrade to a new one. Aside from some camera upgrades and onboard memory, new features look like garbage and complete filler, and the phones themselves cost more than actual cameras. An old S5 runs just fine.

Plus, already hate this always online trafficking shit. My life could benefit from less social media pestering, not more. Especially when political discourse in western countries wants to doubledown on thoughtcrime and Big Brother.
If it breaks, I'd be very much inclined to reactivate my old flip-phone.

They have bigger fish to fry, desu senpai. Like clean water and education infrastructure to learn how to read.

Only reason you'd give thirdworlders smartphones would be to track terrorists, drugs, and human trafficking. And where's the money in that?

Attached: 1543940177413.jpg (650x650, 61K)

Butlerian Jihad soon.

>not Nikon

Nigger detected

The foldable phone is next
>Hey got it's even bigger
>So big it won't fit in your pocket
>But you can now fold it!
>Just like those old flip phones!

I got sick of being a stooge to my smart phone, bought a 8110 4g can still tether to my laptop and shit when I need to, stopped caring about what the internet was doing.

>incremental improvement now pushing up against $1,000 yearly pricetag
>basedboy fervor for the New Phone XSL and/or brand-fanboyism cannot cope with the prices needed to keep up with upgrades
>people who used to get the new hotness each gen go to upgrading every 3-4 years
MILLENNIALS ARE KILLING THE SMARTPHONE INDUSTRY

U forget quantum computing and artificial intelligence race. Classical computing tech fell by the wayside while all the geniuses are holed up figuring out this new shit.
Watch for wearable electronic clothing to become a new fad in the next couple years, and advances in personalized medicine

>No headphone jack
Be prepared to see more of this as manufacturers start to "trim the fat" by removing support for legacy standards that still work perfectly in favor of something that's wonky and unrefined but will help their bottom line to sell new compatible peripherals and their licenses.

Because smart phones are literally Satanic glow in the dark CIA tigger jew bullshit devices , end the New World Order , Hitler was right !

Attached: 1484663015011.jpg (644x632, 136K)

Not true, it's slowed down a bit but 7nm will finally be hitting consumer level products this year.

right now, Verizon is selling a 6s for 350.00. I dont think I paid 350.00 for it a few years ago.

Buy 700 dollars phone goy

All of India just got access to the internet, which is where show Bob and vagene meme is from bunch illiterate poos shitting up any debaucherous area of Internet

weve been using the x86 architecture since the late 70s. it is extremely inefficient when it comes to using physical space on a chip. RISC V will make them faster by using less space due to its simple instruction set. nobody keys in instructions with switches and lights or a monitor program anymore so it will be fine with its 5 instructions as opposed to the literal thousands of instructions that a modern x86 cpu has.

>No headphone jack

Criminal.

This is exactly why I have no upgraded to any other phone. It's why the last phone I got was the first pixel. Even the new versions don't have the Jack's anymore. I'm gonna ride this mother fucker phone out until it totally dies but even some parts cost less than a single new phone payment.

Well, at least software will finally get a chance to catch up and hopefully we'll no longer need 4 GB of memory just to run Word.

I'm surprised it took this long, I expected this around 2017.

The whole shtick of the iPhone XR is better graphics and the ability to do little augmented reality games where little low-poly dinosaurs walk around your desk.

That’s fucking it.

Here are the requirements for a useable phone in current year+4:

• Calling
• Texting
• Internet
• GPS
• Snapchat
• Instagram
• Camera

That is the end of the list. You don’t need to spend $1400 to do that. We are going to see a new era of “social-status tech”. People don’t want it. People don’t want to spend the money.

People don’t download apps. Remember the iPhone 4 App Store? Compared to now? Could you even name 5 apps you need that aren’t Snapchat, Instagram, waze, Uber, or myFitnessPal? Go ahead and try to think of one you might need.

You can’t because it doesn’t exist. There’s no way to justify the purchase of a new current-generation iPhone. They have always been a status symbol, but at least before they were coming up with cool new features. Now they are actually removing features. Sell your Apple stock. Their business model is beyond retarded.

Here are the current trends I’ve noticed as a network engineer at an IT consulting firm:

>more and more people are building their own computers.

It’s not even limited to tech nerds anymore. Everyone is doing it. There are infinite hours of YouTube videos about each and every single part, along with normie plebbit communities about building your own PC

>iMessage is no longer enough to keep people on the iPhone

While is was smart while it lasted, this social stigma is dying.

>people are decidedly reducing their phone usage.

Everyone knows phones are bad for your eyes, for your mind, for your soul. Every adult you talk to will generally agree that Snapchat and instagam are unhealthy. Not “annoying” or “stupid” or “a waste of time”, everyone agrees that they are actually unhealthy. They’re bad for you and they’re detrimental to your eyes, brain, soul.

Attached: 51DCCABC-32A3-4EE6-8920-12B3337AA7ED.jpg (650x1040, 107K)

Quantum computing is nowhere near market ready, there isn't going to be a revolution in the next few years.
Another obstacle to better smart phones is batteries. Lithium Ion is as good as we're ever gonna get, as when you raise the energy desnity of a battery you raise the chance it's going to expend that energy uncontrollably.
There's a very good reason electric cars need to be literally 3 metric tonnes to have any kind of decent range, cause the batteries need to be lithium ion. They can't use anything better, cause there's a pretty good chance they're just going to fucking explode

You're out of touch then. It's probably the object people depend on the most, and provides the most "value". The fact that that value ends up used on stupid stuff like social media it's a cultural problem, not the problem with the technology itself.

And if you really think about it, it's quite cheap, thanks to competition between so many companies and outsourcing the assembly to China.

What is insane is paying that amount for a barely noticeable improvement when you already have a phone that works.

I have an iPhone 6 and a new iPhone X (via work). the 6 came out in 2014 and does literally everything I need. unless you play video games or are a youtube sensation wtf do you need the $1200 new one for? total overkill

also the newest ones are heavy as fuck compared to the featherweight 6

No point if you dont need a lot of shit. I bought nokia 6.1 at release. It has android upgrades for 3 yearrs at least.

If I break it I give zero fucks because it was less than $250.

>pls buy new iBone
>it has a new app
>it has a new case color
>it got bigger after getting smaller and bigger and smaller again
>trust me you need me
>don't force me to downgrade and glitch your current device goyim
i wonder why

I played with the brand new iPad pro 13-inch model at the store that was supposedly the greatest thing of all time .... literally just a big iPhone. Apple lost its way

>8110 4g
Nokia 8110 4G
Just watched a review and it's nigger tier.