>23
>never had a real job
>hs dropout
>6th year of NEETdom living with mom in a poor country

I've been invited to go live with my friend in Canada since he wants to live closer to college and we would split the rent.

The one and only idea we had was that he would lend me his car and I would attempt to get a job doing food deliveries with uber eats or other such freelance companies that exist there since they don't screen their workers and hire anyone.

How viable is this for someone that has never been able to function as an adult?

Attached: 1486928453000.jpg (640x640, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp
kijiji.ca/b-2-bedroom-apartments-condos/calgary/sait/k0c214l1700199
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not very viable. I work as a delivery driver at a sandwich place at an extremely busy/understaffed place (ideal environment for a driver) and make about $17/hr but I've talked to other drivers and they say they dont make shit on Lyft/uber. You'd probably have to get a real job in order for this to work. But fortunately it is easy to get a real job. The criteria for getting a job at my work is 1) show up and dont call off 2) dont be a felon
Like my manager is so desperate for any retard that will just show up and not quit in 1 month

Can you give me an idea of what kind of expenses I should expect?

Beyond food, rent, gas, phone bills I can't think of anything.

Even if I make a pittance, as long as I'm behind the wheel 40 hours a week I should be well in clear.

I live in the in the mid west in the US and can tell you can rent an apartment for $800 USD/month but if you are going to have a roommate I've heard some coworkers saying they pay like $400 USD/month. Now for food and you buy in bulk and actually cook your own meals you could probably spend ~$50-100/month if you are very diligent. Otherwise if you eat out every meal you would probably pay ~$8/meal which is over $700/month. I would say in the US you could probably live on $1,500 USD/month and scrape by

Attached: 1531381273560.jpg (600x330, 27K)

You can't just move there. They have to let you in. Tourist and student visas absolutely forbid working and limit your stay period. They'll question you VERY toughly at arrival and very possibly deport you back home immediately.

>How viable is this for someone that has never been able to function as an adult?
Delivery driver in general is very viable for immigrants. You need to have a driving license though. Also since it's Canada, you'd better not have any traffic convictions or DUIs or anything.

That said I agree with that Uber Eats and the like are probably not going to be worth it. Literally get with a place that does sandwiches or pizza.

>They'll question you VERY toughly at arrival and very possibly deport you back home immediately.
Last time I went to Canada, the hardest part of the questioning was where exactly I was staying, and only because I didn't have the name of the hotel memorized.

where in Canada? this is important
like said, they won't just let you in to start working. you have to immigrate.

if you live in a major city like Toronto, forget being a delivery driver. you will kill yourself because the streets are packed with cars and people don't know how to drive. do pizza delivery instead of ubereats because you'll make better money. or honestly, work night crew at a Loblaws. they have such high turnover they'll hire anyone and you get paid $16 to work nights and you're unionized so you can't be fired for no reason.

Calgary.

The last time I checked for delivery jobs, there was only one listed and it demanded 6 to 12 months of experience delivering food.

Getting a work permit visa is easy from me since I'm from an inoffensive EU state. That said I still haven't applied for it.

Honestly this thread was more about whether or not I could manage living by myself in a foreign country without hand holding from my mom. I'm, basically a manchild and this is quite a terrifying endeavour.

i'm pretty sure you need a job in canada before you get the visa

cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp

>You don’t have a job offer yet

A lot of places in Canada are extremely expenses, remember we pay 20-50% more for goods (than the U.S.) and that includes gas.
There's no way you'd make enough money through uber, let alone one minimum wage job.
For instance, where I live to have a car, an apartment with a roommate and all the normal expenses (food, phone, etc); you need to make about 25-30$/hr.
Rule of thumb, major cities are WAY more expensive than small cities.
Not to mention if you're not here legally, your options are limited and the income is low.
If you're looking to get your visa you should probably do it sooner than later. Usually they won't give you the visa unless you have a job lined up or you have family who's willing to sponsor you.

Bills would not be more than 1000 CAD. Phone bill would be 100. Food can't be more than 300 if you have europoor eating habits. Gasoline is 30% cheaper than it is here.

Are Americans just retarded with their money? My friend has this macabre habit of ordering food every day and spending 20-30 CAD per meal.

What the fuck?

>bills wont be more than 1k
Kek
Most people's RENT is minimum 1k in a lot of big cities in Canada.
1 bedroom apartments go for 1000-1500$ a month if you don't want to get mugged every time you leave your apartment.
Calgary is the 4th most expensive city in Canada. So for a 2 bedroom you're looking at probably 2000-3000$ a month split between you and your roommate
Most people pay 200-500$ for at insurance alone in big cities.
300$ a week on gas if you're doing deliveries is way too low, especially if you work 5 days a week.
And food is crazy expensive unless you go to Asian grocery stores and buy produce and meat that's going bad.
At my local grocery store a loaf of bread is about 4$ and milk is about 5$
If you eat nothing but ramen and potatoes it will cut a lot of food expense out, but living expenses are really high in most major cities.

>kijiji.ca/b-2-bedroom-apartments-condos/calgary/sait/k0c214l1700199

>2 bedroom going for 1000-1500 that we would split

uuh?

>100$ for internet
>100-300$ for heat and lights (the winter are cold so the price goes up for the winter months)
>You may need to get natural gas or renters insurance to meet the landlords requirements for renting
So yeah 1500 becomes about 2k in rent related charges for you and your roommate
That's just in rent
Not factoring in anything else

I'm not trying to shit on your dreams here, but I've literally been in your position (except I had a resume of work experience, which allowed me to work in clinics and other decent paying jobs) and I put myself in a really bad situation that completely drained my savings and fucked me over because the cost of living and expenses is so high. It's so high the minimum wage is 15$/hr and you still can't live off of it.
Yes there are great deals on apartments sometimes but those go incredibly fast because literally hundreds of people are trying to get them. The owners can be picky and if you're not gainfully employed and fit their criteria it can be hard to get noticed by renters. Don't go off the cheapest ads you can find, and have an exit strategy if needed because chances are if you can't find work they'll revoke your visa anyways.

I'm moving out of an extremely over priced city (finally after struggling to save up for 2 years to leave) and I'll never live in any of them again because the guilty of life is horrible when no one can make ends meet

If you live on your own... are you in Victoria? You're in Victoria, aren't you. You reek of BC. I can smell that-- I got Ontarioian in me, we smell bullshit a mile away. If you were Maritimes you would not bitch nearly so hard. Gotta be Vic or Van.

>eat nothing but ramen and potatoes
Jesus fucking Christ. I eat like shit and still only pull 200-300$ in food. What the fuck are you eating? Everything out of a box? On 300$ I can easily have a month's food if I'm buying sensibly and even on my current shit diet I manage to fill the freezer and fridge for a good three weeks before I'm putting some meats in it to make sandwiches, if I feel like saving. I'll order in some 'za maybe once a month, twice if I end up working a bunch, I have money, etc. etc....

Like it just sounds like you have awful habits and don't buy any veggies nor do you make simple, affordable meals. You sound like one of those guys who's gotta eat fat steaks every time he sits down and wonders why 100$ for 5 days' worth of food is inefficient.

Vancouver for sure. I suppose you could be Calgary blood but I seem to find them more racist, and pro-capitalism than you seem to be.

Nope, Ontario
I only cook homemade meals and most weekly trips to the grocery store are about 100$ (which is a week of meal prep and snacks for work or evenings)
I don't go out for coffee, I keep takeout to a minimum and my diet is about 80% produce and cheap fillers (like rice)
My rent is 1000$ to live in the most miserable part of the city in a tiny makeshift apartment in someone's basement
All of my utilities and monthly expenses are about 400$
I don't drive or own a car anymore
That's about 1500$ a month
Which means from minimum wage I would only have about an extra couple hundred a month to save or use on other essentials. I make more than minimum wage but it still doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room since I've been trying to save to move
If I had a car I would be screwed

Though I've lived a lot of places from the west to the east and the west coast is far more expensive than the east.
If op wanted to move to Canada I would suggest the east coast over the west coast as on the east coast you can find a 2 bedroom for under 1k
Insurance is also way less expensive
Food is hit or miss though it seems like it's gotten more expensive, but still way more affordable than Ontario and further west.
I'm leaving to move back towards the east at the end of the month.
I'll be renting a 3bedroom apartment for 1k and be able to get a car again.

>rent 800-1000 (my share)
>food 300-400
>phone and internet bills 100-150

The only thing that would suck are the gas expenses since I would be driving around all day.

But if I can manage 12.5 CAD an hour I could pull in 2000 working 40 hour work weeks.

It would be rough but manageable.

Calgary has a 10% income tax up to 128k which you either pay off each check or as a lump sum at the end of the year of you're self employed.
So off of every 100$ you only bring home 90$
Remember that

Oh... yeah..

Honestly one of the major reasons I want to move there is because I could get a GED after being a resident for 6 months.

I could bring with me 3000-4000 CAD and it should help me to last for that period.

Attached: 1496406505001.png (657x527, 11K)

My best advice is to;
>get on your visa, get more information about the requirements and the specifics. Chances are it's going to be a long process to get it, so starting now can't hurt.

>In the time it takes to get it, try to learn some more work skills, more options are better than less options and you don't want to keep yourself in a position of minimum wage, barely making ends meet every single month

>Have a decent savings, 3-4k is good, just put it somewhere where you won't be tempted to spend it unless you're in a serious emergency.

>Look into living costs, income for the jobs you have the experience for and do the math, we pay about 13% tax on purchases and 10-15% income tax. If it looks feasible and you're not just going to work yourself into the ground trying to pay rent, then go for it. If not, look into cheaper and smaller cities.

GED is kind of a waste of time, most colleges will take you without one and you can get most jobs without it. In fact on work applications "drop out" and "ged" are the same option.
Work experience means way more than anything OR get a trade degree and get into trade work
They make a lot of money in Canada and you can start a business very easily

How the hell do you learn a work skill?

And I can't get a degree in Canada since I'm not a citizen and the fees would be too high.

Also I have never had a real job I make the little money I have online but I can't put that on a CV.

A high school degree is a prerequisite for almost any job anywhere. And that's what the GED is pretty much.

You'd be surprised, most places in Canada don't require a high school diploma, especially if you have a decent resume. When employers ask for education it's usually post secondary.

You have two options here
Either learn a trade in Europe or get a job and some work experience. Chances are your visa application isn't going to be a high priority since you don't have work skills or a job lined up, take this time to get a job and start building your CV

Or

Learn some basic skills and practice them, then lie on your CV but make sure you're good enough at the skills to not fuck yourself and look like an idiot. Most employers probably won't bother checking your references since they would be from Europe, so they would hire you on good faith. Just act confident in the interview and bullshit.

You can also get jobs like warehouse, retail, grocery stores, convenience stores, driving cab (You make more money than uber, they'll also give you a car to use so it's not wearing yours down ) very very easily in Canada, it's a good starting place to make some money and build a cv. Just don't rely on it because they're high turnover and will take advantage of you because you don't know our labor laws as well as a citizen.

It's gonna be hard work, especially going somewhere with so little skills, if you're ready to work extremely hard then you can do It, but if old habits creep up and you go back to neet then you're done.

This is all sorts of fucked. I can't get a job or education here. They won't even hire me at mcdonalds.

What sort of skills would be useful then? Maybe I could look at youtube videos on how to stack shelves or something.

Also I'm a skinny bitch so any sort of blue collar work like warehousing is out of the question I think.

I wouldn't feel bad bullshitting on a CV though.

You can learn Microsoft office and basic phone etiquette and try to get a job at a call center
They're usually higher pay than minimum wage and sometimes have benefits.
Which could lead you to more office type jobs in the future

Thanks I'll keep this in mind.

Do it right now dude. Get the fuck away from your current situation. You need a big sudden change to kick your ass into shape. Do it for yourself.

> projecting