Common core failing

I'm not clear on what pic related is asking.
hechingerreport.org/five-years-after-common-core-a-mysterious-spike-in-failure-rate-among-ny-high-school-students/

Attached: IMG_20190118_041649648_BURST000_COVER_TOP~3.jpg (3583x774, 495K)

(15-9)*2=12

The spike is probably due to blacks not automatically being given a passing grade for whatever reason.

its 12. c'mon, man. Im a high school dropout and I know this.

...$12

Suppose he has some money left from previous weeks?

So he did in fact earn $9 in addition to his weekly allowance?

This

Bull fuckign shit. Show me anywhere on this fucking planet a kid can go to the movies for $6.

It's $6

how do we know if washing the family car wasn't apart of his weekly chores?

>He washed the family car and earned $9
In addition to or as part of his total weekly allowance?
>What is his weekly allowance if he ended with $15
Ended what? "Ended the week" before going to the movies? "Ended up with" after the week ended and the money was spent?

he earned money doing a specific task, you don't earn money per task if its an allowance
be less autistic

Also this You can call us pedantic, but it's math. It's the one subject where being pedantic is necessary and clear, descriptive English should be used.

>NY starts imposing diversity quotas on high schools, dumping niggers and spics into previously successful, predominantly white schools
>failure rates spike
WHO COULD HAVE SEEN IT COMING??

Are you a fucking retard?

allowance = x
movies = x/2
washing car = 9
left at the end of the week = 15

x - (x/2) + 9 = 15
x-(x/2) = 6
x/2 = 6
x = 12

His allowance is $12. Are you literally fucking retarded, you inbred hillbilly?

12?

a/2+9=15
a/2=6
a=12

(15-9)x2

The 9 $ was stated to be part of his allowance so how the fuck do you brainlets add this ?

>be less autistic
No, fuck you. The question needs to be asked properly if a proper answer is requested. I'm tired of having to constantly hunt down retards that inadequately express themselves in written form to get a proper explanation of a problem that needs to be addressed.

no, the $9 is in addition to the allowance.
so, he gets $12, spends half on the movies, and has $6 left (is this kid living in the fucking `80s).
Gets another $9 and now has $15 total.

It's not a weekly allowance if he gets paid per job

Attached: 1546547353687.jpg (1000x786, 74K)

Am i retarded if this literally hurts my brain? Where the fuck is 12 dollars coming from? I guess i was never good at math anyway.

The question is perfectly clear as numerous correct responses have shown. You're just an idiot trying to justify your idiocy by being pedantic.
And no, pedantry is not a virtue in math.

It's not an "allowance" if you work to earn it.

This fucking thread exists. pol really is retareded

Attached: 1544280957055.jpg (499x499, 19K)

Because he has to add +$9 to a number to equal $15. That would be 6 (which is half his allowance after the movie)

The fact is, this is just assumed. We don't know if he does a series of tasks including washing the car to reach a total allowance.
>the amount of something that is permitted, especially within a set of regulations or for a specified purpose
It's simple a cap on total pay. Like not being allowed to work overtime for you wagecucks.

this is like an algebra problem for elementary school. lol

>posts on Jow Forums
>is retarded
Checked. It's not a matter of the math, which is simple. It's a matter of ambiguous wording on a math problem.

>its perfectly clear

It's absolutely not. It uses words incorrectly and requires you to think a certain way to understand it. The purpose of common core is to create a generational split, so parents cant help their children. And when those children grow up and the system changes again, they also wont be able to help their own kids which will create an even bigger generational drift. This shit is insedious. It's like how millenials were taught racism was an irrational discriminatory behavior and kids today are told only whites can be racism because racism is privilege plus power. Go back 30 years and the words privilege and power have completely different meanings than today. By subverting language, one can subvert thought, and by subverting the thoughts of children you can completely undermine a society.

it's $12 and if u cant figure this out you should be shot

Why lose too much time educating dumbasses anyway? They will never learn a lot of subjects and most things they will forget after leaving school.

I know it's designed to make children fight their parents at home from the stupid language of all the math problems confounding both of them

because nothing is ever right unless it is exactly how the retards say, but it's all worded incorrectly and even teachers wind up with different answers from the linguistics at times

it's so stupid, they're engineering kids to be fucked up with this terrible teaching stratagem

read one sentence of thing that happened.

then read next sentence of thing that happened.

thing that was read second happens second.

word problems hard!

what words were used incorrectly?

maybe you're just retarded

$30. He spent half of it and has $15 left.

The $9 for the car wash is irrelevant and is just a dupe to mislead brainlets who think they're smarter than than everyone else. Jason got $9 for washing the car and $21 for other jobs that aren't described here.

He ended with 15, after earning 9, so he had 6.
6 is half his allowance.
his allowance is 12

Most of them are easy if you visualize it as a number line and do jumps... 15...-9.. 6.. 12

common core teaches the kids to draw and visualize the number line.

I had to do chores for my allowance, because my parents weren't communists, that's why this math problem doesn't make sense to some of us.

The article mention 2018 was the first batch of seniors fully educated under common core. It'd be interesting to see how well they perform when faced with maths you'd normally see.

>It uses words incorrectly and requires you to think a certain way to understand it.
This is precisely the problem. Nobody here would have structured this problem this way if they wanted to convey the equation they are inferring.

(x/2)+9=15

Pretty god damned simple

While its ambiguous, the most obvious answer is the $9 is additional to his allowance.

It would be unfair but this is clearly a Jewish household so (((Jason))) can get fucked.

>u
This thread was meant for English speakers, Paco.

>What is his weekly allowance if he ended with 15$
It does not say "If his total remaining allowance" dumbass

You don't get free money in my house. So the answer is the kid has $3 dollars left if he was frugal and didn't have any savings before he washed my car.

It doesn't say shit and that's the whole underlying problem. The answer can be whatever you want it to be. That's the new math, hombre.

Correct. Same problem with Geometry. Their entire premise for how they teach it is retarded and barely coherent.

Let’s rephrase

(you) spent half your neetbux on patreon donations. You then sucked 25 dicks at the local gloryhole and earned $25, what are your monthly neetbux if you ended the week with $50?

It's poorly wordered but you can't just add meanings to it. You always assume the minimal fucking meaning

$12

This word problem could be fixed if it had said "He then earned 9 more dollars washing the car."

As it stands, it is ambiguously worded, and I would (while probably still answering correctly) have pointed it out as a badly worded problem.

Exactly correct. He spent half his money and now he has $15.

$15*2=$30.

sneak into the exit and buy candy?

My allowance was contingent on doing my chores.

Nigger that's not the fucking point. Focus on the numbers it's a math problem ffs

You can't take meaning out. That is not minimal, that is subtractive.

>tfw this true because the question didnt ask to include the extra money he made

Allowance generally isn't earned, it's just given weekly or monthly. The 9$ is for working

If that were the case we wouldn't be told the job has a value of $9

common core prefers the number line to the formal equation.

Some of this "tricks" they insist on teaching seem like unnecessary steps that make a simple solution more complicated. The word problems seem to be exceptionally poorly worded though.
If he ended the week with $15, then his weekly allowance is $30. Unfortunately, it does not specify what they meant by "he ended with $15". It is very poor English.

Attached: heartland-commoncore-math.png (900x371, 45K)

y u mad?

You're subtracting IQ points by even thinking this hard about this. The question is poorly defined and designed to cause disagreement. This is what they teach in high school these days.

Yup.

The $9 is totally fucking irrelevant. The answer is $30.

>If he ended the week with $15, then his weekly allowance is $30. Unfortunately, it does not specify what they meant by "he ended with $15". It is very poor English.
No, its $12, see you have the number line in your pic related. It's easy using that visualization. It's not poor english user. It's normal coloquial english

wrong

I think the point op is getting at is questions like these are retarded

Arguably, it teaches communication skills. In the real world you have to deal with people who communicate poorly, like the teacher who wrote this word problem, and you have to find a way to accommodate them anyway. So, see? The system works.

This

There's no disagreement, practically everyone answered 12, the question is ambiguous but completely valid.

No, you can only get the 'correct' answer IF you make the 'correct' assumptions.

>Jason earns $12 and spends half of it and ends up with $15

Okie dokie

>He washed the family car and earned 9 dollars

Is completely by itself. This implies it was earned additionally to his allowance. An allowance is a set amount of money, and while acquiring it may be contingent on fulfilling certain contractual obligations, the implication created by having the sentence all by itself and before the mentioning of an allowance implies it is not connected to or is even apart of his allowance. I'm reading this with a college level understanding of the English language, you are comprehending it under the mindset of a 5th grader's level. Essentially the word problem reads: Jason spent half his allowance at the movies and had 15 dollars left over. What is his weekly allowance? That would make the answer 30, which isnt the answer they are looking for because they want you to believe something that isn't given, that the 9 dollars is part of his allowance yet was received separately for doing extra work which is nonsensical. And before you try to say im retarded because this is a word problem so obviously the 9 dollars has to factor in, this goes back to my point of being taught to think differently. In my generation, word problems intentionally included misleading and irrelevant information in order to get you to think critically, to encourage you tp think about what is really being asked. That is why, in my mind and in the minds of other anons, it makes perfect logical sense for there to be irrelevant data included in the problem which in turn creates the scenario in which all these other responses with the so called 'correct' answer seem absolutely absurd.

No, he had $12, he spends $6 on the movies and then earns +$9 washing the car.

The $9 is not apart of his allowance, indicated by the fact he spent half of his allowance BEFORE earning the $9

It says he spent his allowance, not his allowance and the money he earned.

the State is mommy and daddy, aka daycare. if parents gave a single fuck about their kids they wouldn't be in public schools by choice. since the sad fact of life is that most parents are woefully unprepared for child rearing and an epidemic of single parent households, the result is the perpetually mismanaged and underfunded school system gets to play the parental role. and the State makes the worst parent imaginable. it's just a single curriculum spit out in all directions, with no care for the absorption or success rate. if the State could get away with human kennels to put kids in all day, they would do it.

>OP derails his own thread in the very first post

Many such cases!

Attached: 5f194f273fe3d01ce440cc7ba9e3901b_image-rainbow-froggif-le-miiverse-resource-wiki-fandom-rainbow-frog (500x500, 316K)

you're just thinking about it too hard like a reatd.

the $9 factors in because they ended the week with $15 left. you have no idea if the car washing was a part of the allowance or not you're just assuming that and it's safer to assume it isn't.

I have only ever heard the term "allowance" used as a sort of salary for performing talks around the house. I didn't know some parents give their kid basic income.

Why would the $9 not be part of his allowance?

>College level understanding of the English language
Nigger you cant even use sentences, how are you going to understand a word problem

Attached: 1540957365307.jpg (640x497, 112K)

The article clearly states that the spike is due to an influx in spics.

What was it like getting an allowance?

True. Yet it does the disservice of setting poor English as the standard. Under the assumption that there will always be people who perform below the standards they are taught, it is likely that those people have even worse communication skills by the time you have to deal with them as an adult. You can't teach literacy by teaching illiteracy.

it makes sense that one would differentiate between earned and set money, but the question is asking how much the allowance was given how much money he'd had, total, including money that was earned. you're supposed to be able to separate the earned money from the allowance by working backwards from the total amount of money. 15(total)-9(earned)=6 remaining dollars from (allowance), which is the missing number.

And you certainly can't teach fucking math by using illiteracy.

Because it's not specified, the $9 is only mentioned to allow you to infer the price of the movie ticket, which was half of his explicitly stated allowance.

This. Inferring from data is a good skill. Making leaps to assume something is bad practice.

>You don't need to work to earn allowance money.

Must have been nice to grow up rich, city boy.

this.
>spent half of his allowance
>he ended with 15 dollars

Attached: 1284947568082.jpg (200x160, 6K)

$21

Its 12... that said, what a poorly worded question

someone explain this to me because thats what i read, he ended with 15 dollars after spending half of his allowance so 30 is the correct answer.

The answer is either 30 or 12, depending on whether you define an allowance as "payment for chores" or not.
I would have been able to figure this out in elementary school, and so should the rest of you. It's an easy answer.

that has nothing to do with the question lol

If you count the washing the car as an additional but still call it allowance you get regular allowance = 21 + 9 = 30 spend half of that and you have 15 left over. Which sounds like a more realistic amount you would spend on the movies.

The answer is contingent on whether or not you consider "washing the car" to have been part of his allowance or not.
The divide in thought is, some people believe an allowance is given and not earned, and others believe it is payment for chores.
If we take the definition of "allowance" to be "given as a gift," the nine dollars from washing the car is separate (i.e. NOT part of the allowance) and the math problem has to be adjusted accordingly