Self taught musicians

Has anyone here started playing an instrument by him/herself?
I mean, I'd always had a dream of playing music, of being a musician, but could never get to it. Sometimes I feel like learning it, but I can't afford no fees.
I usually think of acoustic guitar or violin and I know there's a huge gap in difficulty between those two.
Anyhow, has anyone here managed by him/herself? How did you do it? Any online stuff I can look into?

Attached: 51AYJIDslHL._SY879_.jpg (466x879, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YrbyHH5k3Fc
media.smithsonianfolkways.org/liner_notes/folkways/FW08354.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=ZY8Q1gJcF2E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When I was alot younger I got some piano books from a store once and just picked em up and went with it.
I made good headway but eventually my parents wanted to get me a teacher, so the self-teaching ended there.
Anyways, having someone to directly answer questions and help your style is great, but with today's resources you'll have no trouble with a few google searches and lots of effort.

Use justinguitar it's by far the best website to start learning

I was stuck in the hospital for a few months for major medical problems. They gave me a ukulele due to how easy it was to pick up and they were not wrong. It eased my stress on about my intestinal problems and my major body dysphoria due to the major scars on my body. I may not be the greatest but it brought my great pleasure in those moments of horrible pain when I didn’t know how to like myself anymore.

I play guitar, but my friend taught me. Without him, I probably wouldn't have had the confidence to learn myself.

Post length of fingers, OP. Anybody can play the guitar but finger length will determine your difficulty. Short fingers is hard mode.

index finger @ 2.5 inches.

fag bump

I've been teaching my self to play guitar and pretty muc every instruments i can get my hands on. But i've never 'taught' myself anything, i just play music, the learning comes from the experience. Find music you enjoy to play, play it had any difficulty level you want. as long as you are having fun and playing stuff, you will learn.

not him but here's mine

Attached: Screenshot_20181115-020806.jpg (720x1280, 238K)

What about the others? Ring & pinky are the most important. 2.5 is no problem.

Can you measure? I'm a retard with gauging sizes in pics. Looks good, though, good pinky size. It'll help you with the long reaches.

hi im a musician who taught himself how to play guitar

here are the steps
1. learn the chords G C D and E minor
2. get comfortable switching between these four chords
3. watch some videos/feel out strumming
4. it has now been two weeks and you can play a song using G C D and E minor
5. continue learning new chords and look up songs you want to play and do it
6. practice every day

you will be a musician in a year

I essentially self-taught myself the piano by casually playing a few times a week. I first began by buying a keyboard, and I started figuring out how to play a few simple melodies from my favourite songs with my right hand; after reading about chords and techniques online over some time, and then buying an actual piano, I can now fully transcribe nearly any piece that I'd like to piano.

You should be able to self-teach if you have at least a bit of a musical gift (from how you've written, I assume so). The first step is buying your instrument. I agree that a violin is far more difficult than a guitar (and probably more expensive), so I suggest that you buy an acoustic guitar for now to learn, and come back to the violin after you're more experienced. Starting off by playing a simple chord or two would enable you to sing a song over it, or you could start by playing a simple melody. For an alternative route, you could learn from any of the vast number of musical self-teaching apps. I think that having fun while playing is the most important thing to you though, so my former way sounds more suited to you.

And if you think you're too much of a pussy to hold the strings down because it hurts too much, don't worry, you build up callouses if you make sure to play once a day.

Then after a few weeks it won't hurt anymore.

It takes a lot of commitment. I dabbled in guitar. bass and keyboard. My favorite being keyboard and classical guitar because like fingerpicking

upboat

Ive been making music on my phone and sometimes play the guitar and ukelele for years now but I suck ass because havent learnt a thing about music
watch yt vids but have fun, otherwise its a chore

All you need is YouTube. I taught myself Spanish guitar but could never learn piano. I could never use two hands at the same time. I might try the bass

Self taught guitarist singer here.
It's better to learn by yourself, you develop your own sound and style, once you get good then start hitting the books if you want to be great.

David Gilmour's only guitar instruction was Pete Seeger's guitar teaching record and he's, in my opinion, the most expressive guitar player to grace this planet. I believe this record is still one of the best ways to learn how to play the guitar (and sing) properly.

youtube.com/watch?v=YrbyHH5k3Fc

guitar is one of the hardest to learn and nobody is going to be impressed at a chord progression.

that said I have learn tons of instruments by myself. you just need a reference to holding it and get notes correctly and learn basic music theory.

Forgot to post the accompanying PDF guide:

media.smithsonianfolkways.org/liner_notes/folkways/FW08354.pdf

I started by myself, but I wouldn't characterize myself as self taught. I study classical and flamenco guitar in college now. There's plenty of online resources and books, but I'd recommend an actual teacher more than anything. No matter what instrument you choose it will be hard at first. They can have vastly different techniques involved. obviously instruments of the same family don't necessarily apply, like violin and viola aren't terribly different. You've really got to push to get okay at music. Really being able to stick to practicing and learning is all it takes, but that's harder than you might think.

Fuck that guy, your hands are fine to play guitar unless they're freakishly tiny. If it's really a problem then you can get a guitar with a smaller scale length

This guy is also kind of full of shit. It's 100% possible to start with books and teachers and still develop your own style. I spent a year teaching myself and all it did was give me horrible habits that I had to spend even more time correcting once I got a teacher

>guitar is one of the hardest to learn
This is wrong. I wouldn't say it's any more difficult than any other common instrument. The hard part is being really good at it. And even that depends on a lot.

Actually, FUCK you, nigger. I teach people guitar as a side job and 100% of EVERYONE I have ever taught has asked me, "Are my fingers too small? Too big? I'm not sure I'll be able to do this."

If you don't acknowledge the difficulty people have, they will give up. They're not stupid, you can't just tell them "This is just as easy for you as it is for everyone." That doesn't work. They won't believe you because you can't trick them. They'll know you're lying to them and it will make them doubt you.

The truth is, people with smaller hands will have a harder time, but that doesn't mean you can't learn. You can still learn with fat fingers too, you just have to be patient until you learn how to hit the strings just right not to mute any strings accidentally.

I'm self-taught on guitar. I learned before the days of YouTube.

2 of my kids are also self taught guitarist. The instruments were always laying around the house, they'd pick them up and watch YouTube tutorials.

I'm self taught lol heres a video youtube.com/watch?v=ZY8Q1gJcF2E
I play violin too. If u need a teacher to develop a skill then you just arent putting in the effort son.

Attached: 1463513954928.jpg (1032x1463, 682K)