Alcoholics Anonymous

Is AA a legit institution that helps people drink less, or is it a cult?

I drink twice a week, and usually get fucked up pretty good, but I've never once gotten into trouble. Nevertheless, my family just did an ultimatum to stop drinking, but they are Mormon and can't drink anyway.

Should I just try AA out, or is it a cult?

Attached: tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg (480x325, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20161202185738/https://www.orange-papers.org/
health.good.is/features/donald-trump-mental-illness-al-user
aasandiego.org/Questions.pdf
google.com/search?q=20 questions alcoholism&oq=20 questions alcoholism&aqs=chrome..69i57.4809j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/dsmfactsheet/dsmfact.pdf
aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt4.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=7sg1L2ysRqc&t=32s
youtube.com/watch?v=LExgJyiup34
youtube.com/watch?v=lulyxjrKuXY
youtu.be/LXCJKJUcGQ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You could just stop drinking?

try to stop drinking on your own user. AA works for a lot of people, but you might be able to stop on your own. poisoning yourself isn’t worth alienating your family, even if it feels good it’s objectively bad for you in the long run anyway

To clarify: my family is trying to get me into AA even though I drink only on weekends with friends. They want this because they just had a "temple ceremony", and they believe that in order for me to be reborn wit them, I can't even have a sip of beer, thanks to Joseph Smith.

Yes it helps. Just got my blue chip. 90 days and I couldnt do it without the peer support and hearing stories from people that are both less and also way more fucked up than I am.

NA groups are also helpful.

spoken like a true sperg lord

>You could just stop drinking?
I did for a whole year, then I realized my parents can't call the hots since I'm an adult. If I want to drink once in a while, I feel it is my right and should not be intruded upon.

congrats user! mind if I ask how bad it got before you decided to stop? also, I have trouble with stopping once I start but it’s easy for me to just not drink at all, so I’m going with that. curious about your story

AA isn't a cult, but sounds like your family is in one. If you don't hate yourself for drinking, or find drinking repulsive, you shouldn't go to AA.

I just got back from a meeting. OP, what you are describing is not alcoholism in my opinion, but perhaps it could be progressive in your situation and you could develop alcohol dependency status (see DSM 5 for specific, clinical criteria).

some A.A. is a cult, or cult-ish, I would say.

web.archive.org/web/20161202185738/https://www.orange-papers.org/

Still, it's the proverbial 'last house on the block' for many, and the 12 Steps have helped/'worked' for a lot of folks.

Untreated Al-anons & the Mormon culture seems like a recipe for disaster.

health.good.is/features/donald-trump-mental-illness-al-user

aasandiego.org/Questions.pdf
google.com/search?q=20 questions alcoholism&oq=20 questions alcoholism&aqs=chrome..69i57.4809j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

>drinking twice a week is a probablem
Gas yourself

turns people into snowflakes afraid to touch anything alcohol related
if people would just will their way out, they could enjoy a drink when they wanted and not go into mental breakdowns or need spiritual help

Stay away...It's not anonymous if they work with, and provide services to, county government.

Sober for 1.5 years now thanks to NA. Just go to a meeting, you have nothing to lose.

I drink every single day. I get fucked up by drink 2, maybe 3 times in a year. Moderation is the key.

If you touched the moment when you need to stay dry rest of your life than even a cult can do good for you.

pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/dsmfactsheet/dsmfact.pdf

"...We hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the nonalcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic..."
aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt4.pdf

Attached: goods.jpg (339x237, 18K)

Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb Duuuuuuuummmmmbbbb (southpark)

> people (largely Catholics) lured to abandon religion
> their lives fall apart
> jews provide religion-lite to prevent their return to any real religion
It's pretty obvious what's going on user

They are an outdated cult with only 10% proven success rate. Why doctors still recommend them is beyond me. If you're serious about quitting you should try the Sinclair Method. 79% success rate. But note it's for people who really want to quit because it will take away all the positive aspects of alcohol (euphoria etc.), so if you're still relying on that, it might not be for you [spoiler] yet [/spoiler]

Dunno if you know but alcohol dehydrates you... Eventually your organs will give up and stop to function properly and that's when problems begin to happen.. I'm not here to say to you that you should stop drinking. I respect other people's choices.. Its all in your hands, it was always in your own hands.

Attached: 1535631784253.png (680x501, 141K)

Your family that subscribes to and bases their entire existence around a literal cult gave you an outlandish ultimatum based on you having fun sometimes and your Stockholm syndrome ass is asking if ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS is the cult....? Dude literally what the fuck is wrong with you lmfao

youtube.com/watch?v=7sg1L2ysRqc&t=32s
youtube.com/watch?v=LExgJyiup34
youtube.com/watch?v=lulyxjrKuXY

Do you still live with them? Move the fuck out if you do. Mormons are a bunch of wacko cultists.

AA is terrible. Full of shitty people and some leader who enjoys talking down to people. It's genuinely so bad that I was court ordered to go, gave it about 2 weeks. Went back to court and literally just told the judge to give me jail time instead. It's such a scam.

it's helpful to talk about your problems no doubt and you'll probably see people way more fucked up than you to put your problems into perspective but I know a lot of people have trouble surrendering to the higher power part. If you think it might help there's no harm in attending one meeting mate, just one. Good luck fighting the alcohol jew, I'm shoulder to shoulder with you

AA is a front for Christcucks to make a tax writeoff while getting more retarded faggots to join Christianity.

It's not useful, and for your state to mandate it as a punishment, is a breach of the 1st amendment.
If you don't want to drink, fight yourself, and you better win, or don't cry.

Attached: 666.jpg (226x223, 12K)

Its awful and the guys there are pathetic, but having said that it was the one thing that made me quit, realizing I couldnt end up like one of those guys was the one thing that managed to make me sober. I recommend going just to look at those guys and see how pathetic you could en up if you dont clean up your act, but as far as staying sober its just a matter of willpower.

this

Lol

Thats not true but worthy of discussion.

Its controversial within AA itself even. on one hand the 12th step is to carry the message to all alcoholics but make no mistake the state ordering people to go to it is not as welcome as you think. AA is in a tricky position and sort of being exploited by the state. Instead of the state making its own recovery facilities and therapy model they passing the buck. Most chair persons do not want to sign the probation slips. The recovering alcoholic that is state ordered to attend is frowned upon within the caste system (and there is one) internally.

Couldnt disagree more. One meeting doesnt work. For 12 step model you have to work it. Left to own devices are you or are you not powerless amd admit such against what you issue may be? Thats step 1. Yes or no. If you answer is no than don't waste your time and find another avanue.

It is brainwashing but some brains need to be washed.

AA tells you that you're an alcoholic even 30 years after you've not drank a drop. It's a cult, quite like Mormonism (I am an ex-mormon btw).

Because there is no cure within 12 step. Clean time is meaningless. Could be a thousand years. What part of powerlessness do you not understand? For the alcholic/addict time is of no matter. 1 is too many and a thousand is never enough. You pick up right where you left off if you go back out. Sometimes even worse.

How are you powerless if you've not touched a drop in 30 years? That means you are powerful and able to not touch the poison. If a fat obese food addicted dude picks up a cheese burger, he doesn't go back to square one, he just gets back on track the next day.

aa works if you work it. if youve tried to stop drinking on your own and cant figure out why you keep picking back up, youre probably an alcoholic. go to different meetings and find the one that works best for you. your life will get better. aa isnt just about quitting drinking, its about a new way of life. try it and give it your best and you will see the change.

t.alcoholic user coming up on 3 years sober

i got sick of getting my ass kicked by alcohol, went to AA long enough to change my identity from that of an alcoholic to that of someone in recovery. now i can space out the amount of times i go between meetings. however if i really want to get better and improve who i am as a human being it is vital to go, to work with a sponsor, and work the 12 steps. for now i am just happy not drinking.

no use trying to explain to normies. they dont get it

Yeah, I don't get what tf god has to do with quitting alcohol and saying beta shit like "Im powerless, Im a cuck" you're right, it makes no sense.

You just dont get it and thats okay. You are simply wrong and very uneducated in how addiction works. Time can help build a callous of sorts. In that I mean it does get a little bit easier and you have some tools qnd wisdom to navigate it a little better but if you are a real addict and that can be whatever your drug of choice is you are one decision away from jails, institutions and death. A guy could cut you off in traffic on the way to work, you drop your phone & cant call your sponser, boss fired you.... life is very dynamic. Theres always a internalized stuggle. Like that watner brothers cartoon of the angel and demon on your shoulder. That devil is very persuasive. Its often said in meetings that ones disease is in the parking lot doing pushups.

Your wrong about food too. Exe fatties struggle just as hard as barflies.

This is exactly what I was talking about, pathetic. Accepting that a substance has more control over you than you do is pathetic, if you fags willingly accept being that weak honestly why bother with life? What can someone with no willpower even accomplish? Just keep drinking and enjoy your pathetic existence, there is nothing worse than a weak man with a feeble mind.

Yeah I don't know how it works right, you know me that well to know I've not been in hospital for alcohol withdrawal and haven't touched the stuff in years without the need for saying stupid shit like "Im powerless, only god is keeping me from going back to square one". What a miserable life to live thinking that way. I know I'll never drink again, and that's that, I AM powerful and not powerless, I am not an alcoholic any more.

Keep up the good work I'm proud of you

Is this how far Jow Forums has fallen?

Attached: 57EEAF33-7799-45D3-AC12-1E545F3B4045.jpg (659x661, 405K)

Good for you, so few people grasp the simple concept that its up to you to be sober. They rather seat in passenger seat and hope some program takes them to safe destination instead of taking control of their own lives.

the guy say he drinks twice a week, not much of an alcoholic, he could quit cold turkey.

AA is a legit institution that helps people stop drinking and its a cult.

In fact, it works because its a cult in some ways and everyone involved is fine with that.

Obviously your family are idiots who believe in someone who was known to be a serial fraud even at the time.

>literally says every cliche talking point of the soon to relapse

>tips fedora on way out

You didn't choose to go. Courts shouldn't be ordering it, it makes no sense.

You should stop but for one reason alone, drinking/smoking makes you look like hammered shit later in life.

"How dare you question the AA religion! There is no other way!" lol

im most likely going to drink myself to death.

im young, handsome and rich (thanks bitcoin).

but being high IQ pushes me to drink thanks to this clownworld of ridiculousness. i smell like shit and dont leave the house.

From what I've heard it's a good place to meet oversexed alcoholics and hook up with the real good stuff if you want.

Do heroin

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-08-07-32-04.png (720x1280, 831K)

I've never implied that there wasn't other options. AA doesnt want you bro. You have it all figured out. Take you logical fallacies with you too. Go start your own cult since you so smart. Sure you will sell a lot of books.

You’re trash on the inside

We call it a "spiritual malady" in the industry.

Interesting. Thank you, user. Pic unrelated.

Attached: 1549647351152.jpg (800x600, 37K)

Drinking alone is my favourite activity. I get wiped out for a few days then pick myself up and go to my professional wellpaid job and do it well. But when I go out and do shit it's usually just not that much fun.

I’ll be 3 years clean in april, AA helped me out a ton, after I waded through the mountains of miserable court ordered junkies, and found the real helpful old timers and even some people my age with their heads screwed on right. I stopped going after I moved for school and there’s not really any good meetings around me, but it got me to where I am now. Can’t put any bad words on the 12 steps. Sounds like you aren’t even an alcoholic though.

If that were accurate. One of the first things you learn about alcholic/addicts is that they grossly underestimate their use. Its not any fault of their own. Much like how people overstate and downright lie on dating sites. Theapists have their own therapists. Its very difficult to accurately self audit and natural to lie in these sorts of areas. Your perception of yourself is never accurate.

Be me in 2016, reading online about 'converting' to Judaism. Read a list of disclaimers and one was
>if you came to a spiritual awakening and want to convert because you were drinking too much alcohol then please go to AA meetings instead.
This might be the hidden link besides /tv/ for millenials to disengage from 'cooler' gens of silent and X and to engage with boomers instead

If I drink a lot but don't underestimate my own use does that mean I'm not a deluded alcoholic, just a regular useless piece of shit?

AA has a success rate of around its a 'disease' and not your fault
>you CANT do this alone
>social exclusion/pigeonholed - dont hang out with people who drink they will trigger you. stay with AA people so we can perpetuate the groupthink etc.
> share stories so everyone can pat each other on back about how fucked up we are but at least its not our fault 'we have a disease'
>whole economy built up around it with 'talks' 'books' etc. (all garbage - i have read/listened)

This shit is the original 'muh genetics'

Drinking is a complicated behavior.
I tend to doubt people who only talk about how unproblematic it is and how it's just having fun and there's no trouble.
The thing about drugs is they have never once gotten you into trouble until suddenly they do.

>Mormon
Your faimly is IN A CULT, you fool.
You should have worn your magic undies.......

Listens to shit tier satanic "music".
>Muh Chistians.....

Wow. Brainwashed till braindead.

Change the words I said there
Disclaimer to FAQ
And cooler to classier
And alcohol to coffee or cannabine

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 113K)

>I drink twice a week
You're not an alcoholic. I can have a drink 6 day a week and I'm not an alcoholic.
if you wake up whenever you wake up and have the shakes because you need a drink, you're an alcoholic.

I went to one meeting, I can see how it might help some if your kind a religious. It was pretty cringe for me.
I ended up just quitting on my own, over 5 years now.
First few months a hard because of the social factor. But I'm older and did not socialize much anyways.

Just be like me and not give a fuck and drink everyday.

AA assumes you have friends.
AA assumes those friends drink alcohol without problems.
AA is a group of new friends that don't drink so you have someone to talk to without drinking.

The ass fucking is totally optional.

2 years off the juice. AA made me wanna drink more and force Christ on me. Fuck that

he thinks he can escape alcoholism, lel. OP you are hardly an alcoholic but once you are, you're done. It's an early, lonely death for you. cheers brehs

Attached: maximumboozed.jpg (1456x881, 692K)

>200 proof
Hope you like toxic chemicals.

Arbitrary numbers that no one could ever possibly nail down. Wheres the fucking questionare? A gallop poll ffs? Get real. Statistics are laughable for any legitimate person suffing from addiction. Its nothing to do with the habit. Its a disease of the mind. The brain has physically altered itself. This is mapable though neurological image mapping.

You are going to get obsensely low numbers of so called "sucess rates" across the board. Does remission count as sucess?

Ancidotially speaking when I graduated mental health court ie: co-occuring court. I thought I was "cured". Star pupil. 5 years. Nothing. Graduate. Future so bright. GF relapses so I dump her. Feeling blue. Move away. My friends dont want me blue. Take me to a concert. Fuck it ill have one beer. It just creeps up on yah. Cunning and baffling.

Statistically I would be claimed by the state and whatever whomever led me to that point as a so called "sucess story".

This is bullshit
I used to drink 3 bottles of wine every night and quit cold turkey
Nowadays I drink only once or twice a week and don't get cravings on week days

It works. Go to meetings, follow the steps, you'll stay clean and sober.

Quit cold turkey but still drinks. Lolwut.

200 proof literally means 100% ethanol
Nothing but alcohol, dude

Yeah, you don't have to be a gigantic faggot and quit forever like those AA guys.
Just quit until you stop getting cravings, then you can return to social drinking or having a friday night beer

AA is not the cult you need to be worried about, holy shit.

How do you get 200 proof without using chemicals to stabilize it which actually do remain in the "200" proof?
I'm curious, because I know my way around a still and know that ethanol will suck out ~4.4% water from the air in order to stabilize.

A small benzodiazepine every few days for a couple weeks to get off the sauce is a smooth way to do it.

Ethanol in stores is 96%, a liter costs 36€, you have some shit like izopropanoyl which is like 6 euro, I heard russians drink it cause theyre poor

It does not hurt to try it out. Hey, whatever works. They some great support groups. As long as you are mindful and do not become a religious zealot because of it, you should be good.

You're on a very slippery slope. It's either now or it might too late.
People tolerate drinkers to a point, but if they tell you about it, this means you've crossed the threshold and it genuinely worries them. In end, people simply turn away from, you'll be isolated and have no support when you actually needed it the most. Worst you can do is naively disregard all the advices given to you. Anons tell you how it is, they won't bother sugar coating anything. So take note, and good luck.

Isopropanol is not ethanol. I'm sure you can get drunk on it if you don't mind losing a couple of organs here and there.
Old school bum alcoholics drink worse.

Sometimes I get hammered few times during the week, it just happens, havent had a drink for more than a week

Impossible. It would have to be like isopropyl or something akin with a stabilizing agent of god knows what. You wouldnt even be able to use a hydrometer to any accuracy. Highest functional drinkable alcohol is 180.

>twice a week
>alcoholic

Attached: pepese.png (420x420, 12K)

Why are Americans so obsessed with poisoning themselves? Opioid epidemic, alcoholism, crack, meth, weed, everyone seems to be on some sort of drug over there.

Just don't be a degenerate and stop drinking, simple. Non-sober living is degenerate.

You're only an alcoholic if you go to meetings.

What we refer to as 96% here is ~95.6% at the absolute highest. That's ethanol. I'm not the one claiming 200 proof is "pure ethanol".

Yup, you have denatured ethanol for few bucks too, its got some shit in it so it doesnt get taxed as pure ethanol..

Where are russian anons to give some traditional broke person drinking tips

Not a Mormon, but during law school I hung out with a few Mormon families, even went to the Mormon state of the union thing.

Most of them couldn't do the temple ceremony, bit they did go to the opening of the Mormon churches so they could see the room, even I went to see one, great craftsmanship.

If Islam aka Jews anonymous
Then alcoholics anonymous has altered the strawman to a more accurate wheat drink that still unconsciously creates patterns of tourettes with random intoxicants, primarily alcohol. Best to learn to self control with less outbursts and outrage
Man blames alcohol for outbursts
youtu.be/LXCJKJUcGQ0

Its lonely at the top. Our trash is better than most the worlds retail. It leaves you with enough time in the day to make some bad decisions.

nah AA is gay. I am a functional Alcoholic and am just using the tapering method after my doctor told me my liver will be fucked in 10 years if I don't

"Rodsprit" was popular among the old bums back when I grew up. That's a 70-95% denatured ethanol with a red additive added so people don't confuse them. You get fucked up on it, but they never lasted long once they started on that shit.