Bilingualism in Scandinavia

How do Scandinavians attain such high rates of bilingualism? I'm interested because most people in the USA study a second language, typically Spanish, at some point in their lives, but you very rarely see people here who are bilingual solely because of their education. Typically bilingualism in the USA is a result of having parents who spoke the language with you at home. What can the USA change about its language education to attain higher levels of bilingualism among people whose parents don't speak a foreign language?

Attached: 85515BFA-3B80-436A-A3BC-00C9710D42AC.jpg (750x821, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h5DCnSlWOc8
youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Simple. Swedish is used as a children's language. Parents teach it to them from 0-6 years. Once they go to school, they learn English and speak it exclusively with their teachers and later employers. If they keep early childhood friends into adulthood, they continue to speak Swedish with them as a kind of familiar register. New parents who didn't keep childhood friends simply brush up their Swedish skills at refugee schools. Many young women looking to have children go to the refugee schools to get knocked up while brushing up their Swedish skills.

It's beautiful.

>needing any other language other than English
since your country is a de fact Mexican colony, maybe you fags should be more opt to be learning Spanish, but fuck is French ever the most useless language in all of Canada. only use it serves it getting a government job, because apparently you "need" French speaking ability for the fuck off frogs.

lmao, government job in a place with less than 5% French ancestry, and an incredibly small minority of French speakers? "Learn French and apply again!" the absolute state of leafland

Attached: 1549945532752.jpg (1280x536, 62K)

Kek

I can only guess. English is pretty intergrated in Sweden, you're kind of handicapped if you don't know English. For instance, unlike Germany we barely have any English movies dubbed in Swedish. Subtitles, sure, but you're still going to be pretty exposed to English. I remember when I grew up, I was early introduced to English with Ultima IV and other games which not only taught me English but also motivated me.

Scandi's consume a ton of English media from a very young age. When you have to learn a language to understand vidya and movies and whatnot you're going to naturally.

Because English is much easier to learn than other languages

English is so easy to learn it's a joke. That and everything worth watching reading or otherwise consuming is in a language that isn't your first language. It's quite the motivator.

This
It's hilarious how Americans and many Brits can't even use it correctly most of the time
Easiest language ever

If it's so easy to learn why do you sound like faggots

no culture of their own

Imagine projecting this hard
You sound like you have 10 cocks stuck in your throat

Attached: 1530976985928.jpg (600x532, 40K)

Fuck them, I speak 5 languages. Afrikaans, English, German, Dutch and some Xhosa

Because we're typing in the tongue of the cuck.
Hvis du gerne vil ha' vi lyder mindre som dine landsmænd kan vi bare tale et andet sprog.

>English is so easy to learn it's a joke.
And yet, native speakers don't know the difference between lose and loose. Commonly misspell ”no one” and write shit like ”could care less” and ”hold down the fort”. I'm not talking about some random guy in a forum that can't spell, I'm seeing these kind of mistakes in movies and vidya.

Cuck mentality. They're not attached to their nation.

That's because their native speakers are mentally challenged, it's pretty easy to realize it

>Bilingualism in Vassal States
no shit, they speak their archaic language and they speak the Lingua Franca

The Scandinavian languages and English are fairly similar. Same with the Dutch language.
>The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
>Den raske brune reven hopper over den late hunden

Oh really, Xhosa? What does this translate to then?

Click click clack clack whitey clack click cluck

They are Germanic languages

"Whiter than you Muhammad'

>american humor

Wait, shouldn't it be "couldn't care less" if you could care less that implies that you care, but that it's an indistinct amount of caring you're doing.
Also, don't forget "your", "you're", "their", "there" and "they're".

Damn this guy's good....

Oh no here comes the EU-fag to censor my jokes. Plz no

Hollywood.
I am a burger working in Norway, I stopped even trying to snakker fiske because as soon as I started talking everyone would reply in English.

A lot of the time English speakers just make typos and just don't realize they fucked up until after they pressed "post". You guys sound like severely autistic faggots.

Attached: Screenshot_20190102-125949.png (2560x1440, 779K)

Funny how no one is thinking about the fact that Sweden has a shit ton of immigrants who are also bilingual. So it's both a mix of Swedes speaking Swedish/English and then immigrants speaking Ooga-booga/Swedish and even English. That's probably the reason Sweden is number 1.

Dutch is so similar to English and so close to England that it's natural for most Dutch people to speak English. It's almost like their second native language.

Singapore is Chinese/English speaking, so why not?

Norway, cucks. Not even worth mentioning. They stole our oil.

Denmark - Kingdom of the Universe. Should be number 1 on the list, but because we live in a corrupted world, it's not.

btfo

I speak Danish, Norwegian and Swedish

Attached: 1550090872585.jpg (866x677, 91K)

did you even read his post? he's not talking about forum posts you mongoloid
the absolute state of american reading comprehension

dutch is actually closer to german
it's frisian that's really close to english

because all 3 main scandi languages are pretty much the fucking same

Nice satire faggot.

Stay mad assblasted anglo

Attached: 1544499089953.png (379x245, 138K)

Yup, but German is way harder than Dutch and English. Without any Dutch education, I can understand ~80% of their writing.
Tell them that you want to learn Norwegian, and they will talk to you in Norwegian. It is really easy to learn and it looks great on your resume if you're bilingual.

I think you need to check your reading comprehension.

>lost all of New France
>voted twice to remain with Canada
heheheheh

>sandnigger
Dont try and better yourself, embrace what you are

That's because Germans thought it prudent to add a million fucking grammatical rules

It's very easy.
We have great internet and only get 3 month of sun a year, 1 month if you live up north. The rest of the year we live in darknes so we can either drink ourself to an early grave to sit at home at the computer watching movies / playing online games. Eitherway we learn american english from an early age

It’s beyond their comprehension that the fact they had to learn our language and not we theirs means we won before the conversation’s even begun.

I wonder why that is hmmm
almost as if it was the work of the eternal anglo

Attached: 1531025153080.png (1200x1650, 127K)

It's hard to imagine for big countries, but small meme countries don't even localize their movies. You go to a cinema and it's in original language with subs. No shit you'll learn English.

Dutch is still very close to German. I also speak a bit of Dutch and have studied the language a little bit. It's very reminiscent to English in many ways - but also other languages - like Danish for instance. I'm a bit of a language nerd and have studied more or less all European languages to an extended degree - enough to get an overview - and I don't think I've seen any other European language be closer to English than Dutch - maybe other that Frisian as you mention. Haven't been nerding that, maybe I should. The Old English accent from the medieval times is said to have sounded very much like Dutch.

Meant "Dutch is still very close to English".

t. Niggers of the white race

Meh, I am leaving soon. I put serious effort in learning, cannot speak with shit, but I can read ok.
I think I will just ride out the few months and say so long and thanks for all the fish.

Bilingual master race here.

>he wachtes his movies dubbed

Attached: 1525757449184.jpg (595x441, 61K)

Dis is prepostrious, wouere is de France ?

Why do europoors learn english? Imagine being so cucked you make it mandatory to make another nation's language learnable. Do you teach it so your women can fuck American/Canadian/Australian/British men easier?

it's either you frogs voted the way you really wanted
or
you allowed yourself to get cucked and did nothing about it

don't know which is worse

>How do Scandinavians attain such high rates of bilingualism?
The countries are so small so there are really no market for dubbed movies. The only movies that are dubbed are kids movies. There are subs, so once the kids learn to read fast enough they read those and listen to the audio at the same time. So every one grow up having english in school, watching the same movies as every one else and ofc now every one is on the internet and english is like the lingua franca in gaming so there is that to.

I can honestly say that the vast majority of the texts that i read is in English, there is just a lot more information in English so unless the subject is some obscure Swedish thing i search for it in English.

And English is another germanic language so its really not that hard to learn, compared to learning spanish as an american.

>What can the USA change about its language education
I don't know, watch spanish movies and read spanish news. I don't know why you would though, Spanish is probably not nearly as useful for you as English is for us.

> to add a million fucking grammatical rules
I have tried learning Czech for the last four years now and man it is insane how much unnecessary grammar they have managed to cram into Slavic languages

Well i understand Danish/Norwegian but i don't speak Danish/Norwegian does this count as bilingual

>English is so easy to learn it's a joke.

Why do you seem to be implying this is some sort of negative for you to be condescending about? If anything this is an argument for why English SHOULD be the de facto language of commerce. You're a fucking teen.

Nej

>why do you sound like faggots
>coming from a Brit

You don't even use "English" anymore, "bruv"

It’s just all pretty much the same language. It’s like we would brag about speaking german or ‚austrian‘. Fucking northcucks are so full of them self cause they understand each other. Gimme five weeks and i understand dutch or norwegian.

I'm not. I am however being very condescending about your nations apperent inability to learn this very simple language.

Norwegian is very close to English grammatically. I once went on holiday to Norway for two weeks. I took with me a small dictionary and phrase-book. Two days after I arrived, I bought a children's book and found that, with the help of the dictionary, I could read it straight away. (I know Old English, Old Norse, and German, but these didn't help that much; I reckon I could have understood written Norwegian without knowing these.)

I don't think that's what you were implying. It sounds like a goalpost move from an obnoxious teen.

It's because we do not dubb movies or games.

That's it.

If you think about it, both Danish, Norwegian and Swedish have plenty unnecessary grammatical rules as well. They just come as second nature to us, because we grew up with them.

English and the Scandi languages have simplified their grammar in a similar way over the last thousand years. Old English, for instance, is harder to learn than German.

>apperent
>nations
Maybe try not to be so condescending when you clearly haven't learned the language yourself.

> (OP)
>Scandi's consume a ton of English media from a very young age. When you have to learn a language to understand vidya and movies and whatnot you're going to naturally.
This. We were to few to pay to voiceover all media like the Germans, Italians and French do.

i can speak danish when i'm piss drunk.

Attached: 1238945.png (750x758, 1.01M)

So true.

youtube.com/watch?v=h5DCnSlWOc8

Actually that is strange. Now here in Finland in year 2019 we get everything only texted. Back in 1980 eighties we used to translate everything like books, soviet child programs and even eurovision songs.

Dubbing is awful. No idea why the Germans do it.

They are small countries so they can't maintain enough cultural output to keep their populations from seeking out massive amounts of English language media.

My heart.

Attached: brainlet.jpg (764x800, 55K)

If I take get drunk and take sleeping-pills, I can speak Welsh.

Big brains, English prioritized in school and we don't dub films/tv-series.

Nice projection, cuck

Now fuck off from this thread forever, you Danish worm.

Attached: 1521722595660.jpg (597x567, 55K)

Don't feed the Yanks.

Sure, but what you think I'm implying luckily doesn't dictate what I was saying.

You have to learn languages young or it's gonna be hard anons

i speak 4 because all of them are similar in one way or another

>I'm interested because most people in the USA study a second language, typically Spanish, at some point in their lives, but you very rarely see people here who are bilingual solely because of their education
That's because they're scandinavian and smarter than you. Many of your whites are white trash and half your country is spics and niggers. Good luck in the next life.
>hey Jow Forums, I noticed that norwegians have much better genetics than brazilians, what can we do about that?

I'm surprised seeing a Dane talking about learning a language, seeing the absolute state of your own. You barely know how to communicate.

I can travel 2000km in any direction and still be surrounded by English speakers. I think bilingualism is good for the sake of learning but I'm not sure it should be compulsory.

I'd be willing to believe that.

Make me

Aren't you forgetting the Spanish speakers?

What happened to their pronunciation?

>you will never know if they talk shit about you in their native tongue

Did you forget to link the video, or do you just know the joke is so dead that everyone has heard it bfore?

Those germanic languages are the closest to english

To be fair, having the oppprtunity of using the languages is a big deal. When i was a kid I played a lot of vidya and went to the US, so I learned english fast, but english is a very simple language and has tons of media. You can learn pretty much any european language and visit its country whenever you want. It takes around 8 hours to cross my state by car, how many countries could you go through in that time over there?

This is an English-speaking imageboard and you must be able to write and speak English here. You can't do one of those, and likely can't do the other. Given you've tried to rib English speakers/writers for their "apperent" inability to learn this simple language, while yourself being unable to spell properly, if I was in your position I'd be too embarrassed to stay.

It's "before."

Attached: 1526166703107.gif (295x222, 3.63M)

English was greatly simplified for the sake of being a global language, not the other way around. Even recent books from the 19th century already display a very different language.

It collapsed. I would really like to know why.

It's not a joke, it's the truth.

Fucking kek

Attached: Germanic.gif (800x581, 94K)

You speak four dialects and a second language, which is Xhosa.

learning english for norwegians is like learning dutch for germans, it shouldnt count as being bilingual

youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
Danish is a funny language, i will give them that.

Attached: Bob-Haswell-Portrait-of-Anita-Elberg-London-1955.jpg (990x993, 147K)

Your mom is a fucking monkey so stfu

I love Slavic and Germanic languages but in America there's no exposure to either. I wish I were born in central Europe so I could learn Russian, Polish, German, Hungarian (Not Slavic or Germanic), and others. Anything but this horrendous Mexican Spanish which is forced on us from invaders who refuse to assimilate.

Hold me bros