Average physicist or good eng

Second year grad student in physics, i'm starting to think that the field Is too competitive for me (too much brainlet) and i'm feeling depressed, should i go with the eng route? What's best being a good eng or a average physicist?

Attached: IMG_20181204_104023.jpg (3000x3325, 1.89M)

Math guy here. Felt the same at the end of my BS and what I just did was get a job in finance. The competition is still fierce but now I'm competing against brainlets with business degrees so I'm good because I know 10 times the calculus and statistics they know.

I would suggest to anyone feeling like this do the same. Engineering is good too and something I considered, but the problem is that you will probably have to actually go get an engineering degree which would be boring as fuck.

What kind of work would you like to do in physics?

Now i have a really hard time concetrating and i don't see the point in finishing the degree if i will not enroll in academia.

At the start of myy degree i was hoping someting related reasearch and teaching in college, but now i'm really unsure, i'm just too dumb.

Aren't you in grad school already? You have your degree. You could either just drop it, or if you really want that Ph.D. just do it the easy way and work on something experimental or computational. At the very least you will be able to call yourself Dr. in your resume but on the other hand, you could easily go into the overqualified bin for most jobs so be careful with what you choose here.

Fuck, sorry i had a lapsus, i'm an ungrad student. By the way in this last couple of months i'm suffering an High level of anxiety and i'm currently seeing a psychologist.

Oh, okay. Well, that does not actually change much. When I realized I did not want to go into academia I just finished my math degree while looking for opportunities outside of math elsewhere. Because it worked for me I suggest you do it too, but the difference was that I was not suffering from anything like anxiety. My only question to you is if your anxiety is being caused by your degree. Is it?

But i wuold'nt preclude me opportunities?
With anche engineer degree and a good score i will have a broad choice right?
In part yes, in part it's caused by my parent's divorce but definitly by our condition, we are poor and i'll not pay the taxes only if i score high thanks to my country's system (Italy), i'm fucking scared of losing my shit this year.

>But i wuold'nt preclude me opportunities?
This is a hard question to answer. It really depends.

>With anche engineer degree and a good score i will have a broad choice right?
Most likely but the only reason I am not recommending this path is that you will most likely not be able to finish your degree in 4 years. But well, you are still just in your second year which means that you probably haven't done much beyond general math. You should check this out yourself. Can you transfer enough credits to be able to graduate in 4 years?

About your situation, sorry about that. But you have to think about your future. Make a decision and roll with it.

I really appreciate your suggestions user, in Italy the degree is 3 years and i think i can transfer most of the first year so if i work my ass off i should finish in time.
I'm really undecided about what to do my future.

Engineering is a growing, varied and very financially viable field. At the very least even if you don't end up following it as a career you'll probably end up with some good technical skills.

>t. BTEC Level 3 Eng student

What do you study? And what do you think about nuclear engineer? (i think that's the most physics influenced)

Studying a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in General Engineering. Sorry if that makes no sense, am Britfag.
If you want to be a nuclear engineer I'm sure there's plenty of money in it if you don't mind the radiation risk and the complex maths.
Personally that's not my cup of tea and I'm more interested in mechanical and design engineering. Defence/Aerospace is my preferred field.

Better to be bad at Physics and get a degree in it than to go for an easy degree and have zero job prospects with a BA.

My bad, didn't read you were in grad school. Still think the same things applies.

Why no non prosoects?

Why didn't you stop at the undergraduate level?

Im a grad student physics myself and I really enjoy the high level of thinking around me, and all the very capable people I can interact with.

I don't care about the scientific community since I will move to industry anyway after I finish my degree.
>earning €1700 a month for a 70 hour work week
fuck no

I'm anche undergrad, i had lapsus, what do you suggest me? I think the same about the researcher job.

I can tell you a bit about me, and hope it helps you get through this period.

During my second undergraduate year I got into a depression because I moved out of the house, didn't really know anyone and lastly people in physics are fucking autistic so most social interactions during the day are mediocre. I stopped going to classes, started failing stuff. After a while I got over it, and started passing classes again. If you succeeded in passing the first year, you can also pass the other two.

The main question is: do you like physics? Do you think it is fun enough to finish it, and obtain a satsifying job with it afterwards? What are your alternatives? What happens if you quit? Do you have a sensible plan B?

From answering these questions you should be able to deduce whether or not you want to continue. It is not always about the now, but also about the future. Also try to fix your anxiety issues first because they cloud your judgement, maybe even speak with your psychologist about this.

Ill be lurking if you have more questions

I have a similar feel, i really like physics but the job prospect sucks, very competitive field and low satysfaction, my plan was getting a degree in nuclear eng, i don't if i'm very rational right now i'm really afraid of the future.