Created a strange project analyzing the daily news cycle

So I watch a lot of US news. Frustrated with the daily churn and outrage, I decided to start keeping a record. As a sort of longitudinal study, I started writing down what I deemed was the major news story each day onto a sticky note. I've been doing this every weekday for over two years. Below is the completed 2017 record compiled into a video for your review: youtube.com/watch?v=aKaQ78qC-AA

You're going to remember a lot of these stories. They're going to come back to you. You'll probably be surprised at how much you forgot and how much you remember. Would love to get some people's thoughts on this, so if you're going to watch the video, some things to keep in mind:
- How did these stories affect you?
- How much did they matter?
- Did they overshadow other events taking place?
- Do they still matter?
- Were they constructed?
- Were they over-hyped?
- Were they under-hyped?
- How much power did we give these stories?
- How did these stories affect the way you conversed with your people?
- How did these stories affect your mood?

Attached: _00253.jpg (1920x1080, 246K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/jiggerypokerie
reddit.com/r/videos/comments/aszjui/created_a_strange_project_analyzing_the_daily/
theguardian.com/media/2003/nov/17/mondaymediasection3
archive.is/38gmn
youtube.com/watch?v=8_Xvh8vo6hI
stereophile.com/content/access-journalism-vs-accountability-journalism
archive.fo/gA7GM
nytimes.com/2015/04/20/business/media/buzzfeed-says-posts-were-deleted-because-of-advertising-pressure.html
archive.fo/CP9yk
youtube.com/watch?v=0EoOEw-hq-o
youtube.com/watch?v=fk_TcWx7uoM
amazon.com/Mafia-CIA-George-Bush/dp/1561712035
nytimes.com/1977/12/26/archives/worldwide-propaganda-network-built-by-the-cia-a-worldwide-network.html
archive.fo/vW88U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump for effort

OP i am very interested in your research. however on my coast it is midnight.
be a bro and post this tread again tomorrow.
thank buddy, good night.

thx, let me know what you think if you watch it

copy that, FWIW I also made a twitter account. The project was sort of inspired by the "tweets from WWII" account that tweets out "on this day in history . . " stories from the war. twitter.com/jiggerypokerie

Friday's post

Attached: _00017 - Copy.jpg (1476x830, 101K)

bump, watching

Attached: 1527512932745.png (445x733, 486K)

Hey cool thanks, would love to hear what you think when you finish

Bump

Brap

Thanks OP. Lots to unpack but one thing that stands out is how freaked out people were about North Korea compared to now.

ONE NOTHING WRONG WITH ME

What else stuck out for folks?

Attached: _00246 - Copy.jpg (1920x1080, 223K)

wow this is so reddit and so freaking cool!
upvoted

Haha thanks. Can't seem to get anyone to look at it over there. . any subs I should be sharing this with?

its been an absolutely wild ride.
They will never get over the fact that she lost.

Attached: 1522361820578.jpg (1280x720, 90K)

welp

reddit.com/r/videos/comments/aszjui/created_a_strange_project_analyzing_the_daily/

>dat autism

experiments like this are fun

Attached: 1512450700028.png (817x656, 127K)

Gl

I hope people find it interesting.

also thanks for whoever upvoted that haha. It'd be neat to see the project get out there

Attached: 2019-01-20-210927 - Copy.jpg (1476x830, 97K)

Bumpin bumpin

Bumping a quality thread.

Attached: IMG_20181001_232702660.jpg (4032x3024, 2.3M)

Save for later viewing cause I'm heading to work. That is a really good idea OP. As another user advised, you should repost this thread later so others can see it.

Thanks for checking it out. Also thanks to whoever upvoted the reddit thing.

Hey thanks. Will repost as well

Just a couple months in and I feel like I can see a pattern. I'm pretty disappointed by how lame this presidency turned out. This is only based on what I was hoping would get done. Then I look at this timeline and it reminds me of how much the press has fought with the president. Also how incompetent congress is at doing anything other than banding together to fight the president and funding bullshit. This is a frustrating timeline of conflict. A lot of blowing up small cabinet issues and glossing over anything that doesn't fit the narrative.

You know what? If I was the average person just watching and reading this news I would definitely feel like things are a disaster.

I'm about halfway through 17.

It's a doubling down and hammering of anything they can find to prove Trump is guilty and a quick, reluctant back track.

The Comey thing really did fuck him up for a while.

Let me know if anything changes once you finish it. Really appreciate the feedback. Very interesting stuff

>Sidetrack opponents with name calling and ridicule.

>This is also known as the primary attack the messenger ploy, though other methods qualify as variants of that approach.

>Associate opponents with unpopular titles such as “kooks”, “right-wing”, “liberal”, “left-wing”, “terrorists”, “conspiracy buffs”, “radicals”, “militia”, “racists”, “religious fanatics”, “sexual deviates”, and so forth.

>This makes others shrink from support out of fear of gaining the same label, and you avoid dealing with issues.

very interesting, especially when I compare it to the reddit audience comments. . . reddit.com/r/videos/comments/aszjui/created_a_strange_project_analyzing_the_daily/

Well done op
Post-Its are a hate symbol

Today's tweet

Attached: _00016 - Copy.jpg (1476x830, 96K)

haha oh boy

thanks

The dude really knows how to recover a news cycle. I'll say that. Things look grim and he pulls something that makes the media go ballistic and it looks petty on their part. Then there is that whole #metoo thing. It almost looks like they pick a day to cover it and try to move on to the next topic, but the stories keep coming.

Good job. Feels like this thread is getting g slid hard

Attached: 1550233886102.jpg (640x853, 63K)

Bump. This might be better to post when it's not the middle of the night for burgers

I'll have to think about what I watched again. That was an interesting comment. There were a lot of firings, but I don't know if they were related to the original media story.

You are also dealing with the confirmation bias of two separate websites. So makes sense

user this has merit and is interesting, please don't turn it into a QAnon style larp or whatever where you use codes and cryptic language. It will be way more effective on Jow Forums

The only times it wasn't politically related was when a fucking hurricane came through

I might truly lose hope in this board if this doesn't pick up any traction. It's been nothing but bait threads the past few weeks. I know it's always shit, but it really isn't. Hopefully it just means that most anons are busy building something of their lives and too busy to hang around for long.

Trust the plan bruh

Really though thanks for your feedback and no I have no plans to make this into any kind of larp, I just want folks to see it and reflect and talk about it. Plus I still have to make a 2018 video . .

Even then it became politically related with the Puerto Rican governor. I don't know why he didn't count that as part of the news cycle.

I quit watching news, seeing that much bullshit at once would give me an aneurism..bump for your effort though

A bump for you, lad

See and I think that's part of the beauty of this project. I'm just one person that distilled things the best they could from their perspective down to a single sticky note. There's certainly room for extra nuance or opinions on what else should be discussed.

Bump. Great effort. You should post this when more burgers are on though.

Thanks, and will do

bumpin

You should try cross posting this thread to double chan Jow Forums as well and you will likely receive higher quality responses as the thread will hang around for awhile. Too much board sliding goes on here these days making meaningful discussions incredibly difficult to facilitate.

Shut your fucking shill hole asshat. You're not one of us and you never will be. Eat cock and die.

Watching this has made me realize, for as much shit Jow Forums gives him, Trump's abilities to survive by the deep state's efforts to remove him from office are pretty remarkable.

Attached: 1453592855887.png (672x906, 285K)

Great Job. I got half way through the video... It made me realize that the media makes it a point for me to know about politics, whether I want to or not.
In other news,
I just realized I am on /pol
not /po.

Beautiful papercraft here

Attached: _00247 - Copy22.jpg (2048x1153, 153K)

Every single day has been about Trump, hasn’t it?

Thanks for everyone's comments and feedback. will repost

It'll be fun to compare and contrast this one with the eventual 2018 video I make and see if it holds up.

:)

Quality effort, interesting effort. Worth the comfy watch. Keep at it user

1. 80% starts in press release. Reporting is largely a myth.
theguardian.com/media/2003/nov/17/mondaymediasection3
archive.is/38gmn

2. Leaks are usually authorized. State Department counterintelligence says 85% are. This feeds the news juicy stories in exchange for reporting the right stories.
youtube.com/watch?v=8_Xvh8vo6hI

3. Access journalism means that only people who are nice to the subject get more interviews. Softball interviews win awards.
stereophile.com/content/access-journalism-vs-accountability-journalism
archive.fo/gA7GM

4. You aren't the customer of the news. You are the product the news sells to advertisers. As such advertisers wield true power and are the number one reasons stories are buried.
nytimes.com/2015/04/20/business/media/buzzfeed-says-posts-were-deleted-because-of-advertising-pressure.html
archive.fo/CP9yk

5. If all of that isn't enough you can always hire the libel lawyer the newspaper retains to create a conflict of interest.
youtube.com/watch?v=0EoOEw-hq-o
youtube.com/watch?v=fk_TcWx7uoM
amazon.com/Mafia-CIA-George-Bush/dp/1561712035

What is the Propaganda Assets Inventory?
nytimes.com/1977/12/26/archives/worldwide-propaganda-network-built-by-the-cia-a-worldwide-network.html
archive.fo/vW88U

Attached: MSM Viewpoint.jpg (743x542, 100K)

>How did these stories affect you?
>How much did they matter?
I thought the Syria strike mattered a lot because it reflected a complete 180 from Candidate Trump's foreign policy.
>Did they overshadow other events taking place?
The Russia investigation overshadowed the buildup of US forces to antagonize Russia. No change in policy there.
>Do they still matter?
Little does.
>Were they constructed?
A shit ton were. Analysis of Tweets and bodylanguage is almost always bullshit. The kneeling photo was one of those big nothings.
>Were they over-hyped?
Most things were.
>Were they under-hyped?
The assassination attempt on Steve Scalise was definitely underhyped. The firing of Mike Flynn was the first domino to fall in the Trump White House. From Flynn being fired to Barr being confirmed as AG the Deep State neutralized Trump as a threat.
>How much power did we give these stories?
I think people pretty much accept what's given to them. If the media says jump we ask "how high?"
>How did these stories affect the way you conversed with your people?
They always bought the surface level so depending on my mood I either said nothing or disputed them.
>How did these stories affect your mood?
The Syria Strike bothered me a good deal. A lot of this I ignored as part of the horserace.

Attached: 3rd ID Infantrywomen.jpg (1406x777, 160K)

Interestdating

IMO the most important thing in that year because it will affect Americans for years to come (the healthcare bill) was buried. it seems intentional. everything else was ephemeral.

Attached: 1482219101985.png (2368x1262, 535K)

bump for effort and OC.

4am Talking Points

Every day starts with predetermined talking points at 4am EST. All MSM gets them and follow them almost to the letter.

>bonus bump
for contributing data points and saving them to a permanent and publicly accessible public record.

Attached: 1528941854121.gif (517x776, 3.9M)

>Trump trump trump trump
>Climate change, WW3

I'm going to be bored today at work, so I can write a program today to do something, if you want. Otherwise I'll just sit there and contemplate the thought process of a clique of menopausal women, which will either drive me insane or get me fired.
I've already automated my job and created 20 Phlebbit troll bots. Now I need a new project.

Not that guy, but it would be interesting to see the short term impacts of presidential and midterm elections on the stock market. All the current research is focused on a several year window, but I was thinking election day and election week patterns would be more actionable.

bumpy

Should be relatively easy. I can play with that today.

>elections
I can do 'the week of' for voting week and week they took office. Anything else? I'll post it here, but this thread may be gone. Have a burner email?

It's this Reddit or Jow Forums? Wtf. All these ataboys. Show me your Jow Forums face.

It's a good idea you edgy fag. OP has tapped into something we'd probably all like to do, but don't have the drive to do ourselves.

Attached: original_result (4).png (512x512, 387K)

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Really encouraging stuff.

Surprised the thread survived the night!

Attached: _00242 - Copy.jpg (1476x830, 116K)

The reddit thread survived the night too. pretty wild

Bump

i survived too.
i won’t be able to watch the video until lunch time but i read the thread and followed on twitter.
but i would still suggest posting again later today.

I plan on it. Thanks user

Fuck off reddit

Thanks for everryone's feedback. If the thread dies I'll repost later today

And somehow he was never named that year.

Attached: 0ppYQPJu_400x400.jpg (400x400, 24K)

>user finally doing good work.

finally!
thank you OP
ive been looking for the means to do a little autistic side project thats been on my mind.
i will use your video as a springboard.
i will take subject/predicate, keywords, and positive/negative etc and separate it out to plot graphs and charts to analyze the media bias.
please keep posting your video. i will share what i make when i have compiled the info in a readable way. i cant concentrate or remember to do what you did here so thank you for opening a door for me

Honestly I don't remember at least 70% of this

Interesting.

Bumping again

Nice project OP, thanks for the awesome effort. Will finish watching when I get home - so far it looks great so keep it up.

Attached: fbb2fc90844a7f0ff1130ae6d4921e04565bf87054b3d7e6fbd83ad31ab9d505.gif (320x240, 2.01M)

tits or gifo lady paper
my waifu has shit just like that, plus your 2s give it away.

Attached: 1550379467117.gif (640x360, 3.99M)

What got me was how the congressional baseball shooting only got one day of mass media coverage. How many days of coverage would it have gotten had the shooter target democratic congressman.

I made it through most of March. It’s amazing to see how much Trump dominates the news cycle. He has changed the Presidency, probably forever, but the media play right into his hands.

Bumping a quality thread. Good job OP

Watched the whole thing. Nice work.
I was interested in seeing how many, and for how many days, the storys lasted.
Seems most are 1 day, some are 2 days, few are 3 days.
The fact that the Koi Fish story was a multi-day story pretty much sums up the MSM.

Compare that to the one day of coverage for the congressional baseball shooting and you start to understand why trust in the media is at an all time low. Good work OP, now we just need to figure out how to amplify your findings

I would suggest speeding it up by at least 50%. I was running it at x1.5 and still found myself wishing it was faster.

Good job user

>Kelly Anne Conway kneeled on a couch in the Oval Office
fucking lmao i remember that
have a bump

>I thought the Syria strike mattered a lot because it reflected a complete 180 from Candidate Trump's foreign policy.
Probably the biggest event since his election. Literally no reason to do that unless he's going along with the whole quagmire strategy. At that point, it was clear that he was just controlled opposition.

Bump

Did anyone die from those missile strikes?

well done, I like the smooth listening jazz too