My father is angry I'll be leaving my job for another?

>23
>Live at home
>Parents have no problem with it
>Had a moment of realization that I want to actually to make something of myself and that retail hinders that
>Worked 38 hours a week at a job I despise for multiple reasons
>Because I have a strong work ethic, I'm constantly overworked and given hard jobs while those that are slack aren't and given the easy work to do (they can't fire anybody because there's a high turn over rate where I work)
>Come back from work with no energy and enthusiasm
>No air conditioning, which means I'm regularly working in awful heat (they won't replace the AC system because they think it's too expensive, despite making a fuck load of money)
>Job is monotonous and unrewarding
>Dated a girl there and we broke up, making moving on longer than it should be
>Also want to go to university in the middle of the year and because I'll be doing a hard degree, that means I'll need plenty of time to prepare for it and once I start, study to get good grades
>The grocery store 5 minutes from my house is hiring
>Not a great job, but the pay is far better, as well as the conditions
>Will only get 20 hours a week, but I'm fine with that because I barely spend money as it is (and generally save 70% of my paychecks)
>Land the job
>Starting in 3 weeks
>Tell my parents this
>My mum is okay with it
>My dad on the overhand is furious about it
>"user, you need to be working 40 hours a week!"
>Explain that I'll be earning close to what I already earn for far less effort and time
>According to him, you need to work 40 hours a week, even if you earn less
>Point out that I'll also be starting university later in the year and need time and freedom right now
>Even though he never went to uni or did much academically, he claims I can juggle 40 hours of working and 40 of class no problem, even though I wouldn't be able to due to my schedule

What's the best course of action here, Jow Forums? It makes no sense to stay there if I can earn more for less effort/time.

Attached: angry doge.jpg (400x400, 10K)

You took the right course of action, your father sounds dumb

Your dad obviously had to work long hours for shit pay when he was young and in order to not kill himself he convinced himself it was a good thing that builds character. Just ignore him, his brain is broken.

The only thing you can do is show him a budget. Then tell him you're going to school.

He honestly is. He's your stereotypical working class boomer.

It's the opposite weirdly enough. At my age, he was jobless, smoking weed and living with his grandmother. He only got his shit together when he met my mum at 30. Right now he works 50+ a week (wit unpaid overtime) and only gets one day off a week. I think your right though. Because he didn't make good choices, he thinks everyone has to suffer working long hours at a job they hate to be successful.

Unless I need to make a big purchase, I save 70-80% of my paychecks. So I don't know why he thinks it'll be a problem if I get less pay if my hours are low for a week. I already have 5 figures saved in my bank right now.

UPDATE: My mother just came in and said that I should turn down the job and "be a man" and work the long hours. What the fuck is wrong with boomers?

Yeah, i had a friend who had this exact problem cause his father believes that working longer days and longer hours means more money at a job when you can simply get a better opportunity somewhere else, work less, and actually earn money equating to or even more than what your previous job ever offered. Just continue doing your thing and don't mind your dad too much as he grew up in a different time and era. My friend was bothered by this but in the end went through with his decision cause in the long run that is what matters to you. Living your life for the expectation of others will impact your life negatively i believe down the road.

Just run him with the "this is the smart decision", it's an "investment for my future on a oversaturated market", it's a "step to be financially stable and be by my own and have a family"

things like that i guess, easy to understand for the simple minded.

I hate boomers, i bet he will tell you that you will be out of his house in some rage fit

>UPDATE: My mother just came in and said that I should turn down the job and "be a man" and work the long hours. What the fuck is wrong with boomers?
Longer hours equals longer pay which means harder work which in then means an ACTUAL job to them.

Just go with your gut man and don't dictate your life choices based on what they think. Do what you feel is right for yourself and if you see and know it is a better opportunity? Take it.

You know what, I think that's a good point. This year I'm going to make it a goal to not give two fucks what my parents say or want me to do with my life. I know this is the better path for me and they have no say in my adult life. I don't think I want to take professional/educational advice from people that didn't go to university anyway. If I can't do 40 hours of work a week while attending university, then I WON'T do it.

I'll try, but my dad really can't be rationalized with. We had a car out the front of our house a few days ago (that turned out to be the government doing something) so he followed them and confronted them about it.

>I hate boomers, i bet he will tell you that you will be out of his house in some rage fit
I must just have to work out a way and move out if he does that. And if that happens, they're both disowned. If you fuck with my well-being and future, you won't be a part of it.

This year I'm going to mentally "move out" and not care what they think. I'm 23 anyway, so I need more mental independence at least.

Do what you need too, otherwise you end up like me 22 no job no gf homeless posting on public wifi right now 2019 resolution is to end it. Not all of are gonna make it but you can user

So tell her "So Dad makes your decisions for you now? You approved of it earlier. Just because he doesn't understand reason doesn't mean you should bow down and parrot his opinion like a puppet."

Sounds good, and just another sidenote i will leave it off with. You can love your family and unlike friends you can't choose em. Family you can love but that doesn't mean you have to like em man. You can also stop expecting your family to be happy for you cause the sad reality is that some of em won't be and that is just it.

I love my family very much no matter what but we have opposing views on life. I stopped expecting them to support my ideas and how i want to live my life but that doesn't make me love them any less. I say this cause i don't want my posts to come off as a 'FUCK YOUR PARENTS' speech cause it isn't. Just that you do what you feel is right for yourself and don't live by what your parents expect of you cause in the long run you will end up resenting them. I have seen this first hand with some of my friends who already hold disdain for their parents.

I hope 2019 improves for you, user.

That might just work honestly.

Honestly, if I cut my parents out of my life, it won't just be because of this. They're both VERY negative and toxic people:
>Parents wanted to see the NYE fireworks so I tagged along
>The whole time they argued with each other and made personal attacks too
>When any minorities were in their way, they'd openly be very rude towards them
>Father has a drinking problem and might even be drinking wine at his job and driving home drunk
>Mother keeps attacking him about his addictions which isn't making things worse
>My mother is also just a very rude, toxic and unkind person when it involves strangers, and even family

While far from ideal, the fact that you've got good savings at least gives you the option of moving out should your bullheaded boomer parents play the "our roof our rules" card, or otherwise make the living situation worse than the cost of moving.

>Parents wanted to see the NYE fireworks so I tagged along
>The whole time they argued with each other and made personal attacks too
>When any minorities were in their way, they'd openly be very rude towards them
>Father has a drinking problem and might even be drinking wine at his job and driving home drunk
>Mother keeps attacking him about his addictions which isn't making things worse
>My mother is also just a very rude, toxic and unkind person when it involves strangers, and even family
If that is the case then by all means go for it. I didn't know your family situation so i gave off advice based on what i currently know from this post. MY cousins parents are very toxic people and fake and when both of em moved out they never came back once. Their mom is a no job having ass bitch who always starts drama and has to one up you every time on ever little thing. Uncle is a balls to the wall white guy who is blatantly racist and has no issues showing nor displaying it. Their kids are vastly different and disagree highly with their lifestyle so one day they moved out and never came back. Sorry to hear your parents are like that user but ya can't change em so you're stuck with em. I say move out and simply never look back after that cause if i were you and that is how my folks were i'd definitely have no problems cutting them off of my life. Like i said you can love family but you don't have to like them.

Yeah, I'm glad I save. If that happens though, they're most likely completely out of my life though.

Yeah, it sucks have parents like that. You are right, I can love them, but don't have to like them. My sister moved out last year with her fiance and they've both been very happy and healthy people since. My sister admitted that getting away from them helped. We both agree that we don't want to end up like them professionally and personally.

>We both agree that we don't want to end up like them professionally and personally.
Glad to know that user and it does suck. My relationship has changed with my parents and we currently don't talk as much and i don't open up to them anymore at all. I still love em but my feelings towards them definitely have changed and i don't really share any of my life's details with them.

That is good to know about your sister as well it looks like this isn't just an issue on your end. If your sister felt the same and never looked back then that should say something to ya with her being happier on top of that.

You got any friends you are able to room with or can somehow manage until you move out? AS for the mental thing start with that for sure if you can tough it out i say look at it as building up mental fortitude to help cope with the situation. Overall this year has been pretty crazy user.

>i don't open up to them anymore at all
Me either. I got dumped in the beginning of December and I still haven't told them. When I'm in a relationship next, I won't really include them in it either to be honest. They were very nosy about my last one.

As for friends, not really, however if worse came to worse, I'd see if my sister is willing to have me and I'll obviously pay and keep out of their hair when they need couple time.

>I got dumped in the beginning of December and I still haven't told them
> They were very nosy about my last one.
Very sorry to hear about that user and i feel that, that's why i don't tell mines any of my business.

>As for friends, not really, however if worse came to worse, I'd see if my sister is willing to have me and I'll obviously pay and keep out of their hair when they need couple time.
I don't got much friends either i only got one and he is someone i actually consider a real friend. Of course your sister might be very understanding of where you're coming from if you asked as with me it sounds like you don't like owing people or bothering people for anything.

Build up confidence with small actions.

Attached: image.jpg (2942x2206, 3.8M)