I can't understand what black people say when they talk in that accent. How am I supposed to understand them...

I can't understand what black people say when they talk in that accent. How am I supposed to understand them. Am I racist if I have to ask them constantly what they're saying at my job? How can I practice understanding them so I don't have to ask multiple times what they mean when they ask me things, it's worse on the phone too. Also, what is the black person accent / speech called? [spoiler] I don't have anything at all against them I just legitimately can't understand them [/spoiler]

Attached: 1817287181.png (324x229, 14K)

What accent? Are they the fucking low-talking nigger type where everything they say slurs into one long mumble?

Something like that. It's like "yallgotsummadatmadden numbah numbah fo fopsfo?" Broken English slurred together

the slang is called Ebonics, and any black person who doesn't conform to the rules of Ebonics are instantly called a uncle tom and deaminized. Its fucking stupid and white girls who steam roll BBC also adopt it. Listen to how ben cason talks , the man talks normal like a sane member of society. BUT apparently being a fucking moron and speaking like you have the IQ of 8 is considered "culture" . I weep for the black community. Almost destined to fail from their own people

I've had to deal with a lot of customers with strong accents that I couldn't really understand, from French Canadians to Indians to black people, and my trick is to listen for key words in their sentences and try to put them together in your head to figure out the gist of what they're talking about. Talk back minimally, just nod and smile but if you hear keywords and understand the topic make comments related to it. If you're already good at active listening it won't be too hard but if you zone out easily when other people talk this might be a bit more difficult

If all else fails just tell them you've got diarrhea and run to the bathroom

>It's another 0/10 bait thread by a Jow Forums brigader inventing a fictional scenario in which he needs "advice" attempting to trigger a racial debate

On the off chance that you're serious, why does it matter? Where do you live that this is enough of a problem? Surely if you live in a heavily black city or town, you would be familiar enough with African-American vernacular from being surrounded by it your whole life? Or are you such a retarded excuse for a racist that you willingly moved to a black-heavy city despite not liking black people?

Pretty sure it's hopeless. They're just not using language properly. You won't be able to understand them unless you unlearned English.

I've got a couple at my job. I don't talk to 'em cause they're lazy fucking niggers who are spiteful at people who actually work, but I usually hear em talking to each other in the bathroom or down the hall and I have no idea what they are saying half the time. They always say some gibberish, snicker at it, go holla holla or whatever little slang they get in after it, and then snicker again.

There are other black people I know who speak proper English though. I know a girl who uses some slang here and there but it's more an issue of speaking up and clearly instead of muttering nig-code.

If US it's called officially AAVE African American vernacular English. Though Antilleans / West Indians can speak pidgin to various degrees.

I grew up in the country, not many people talk like that where I'm from, and I moved recently to a college town and a lot of people who talk like that come to where I work. It's multiple times a day I'm confused by how they talk. I feel bad that I can't make sense of it which is why I asked what it's called so I can practice understanding it. I don't dislike black people I have absolutely no problem with anyone of any race. I don't have an issue with how they talk either, I just want to understand it better. I'm not any way trying to come off as racist, sorry if I am.

Out of curiosity, why do you class African-American vernacular English as "different" or "less learned" than other dialects of English?

What about the southern US dialect? Or the dialects of Northern England or Scotland, which are even less intelligible to Americans?

Do you think language just sprouts out of the ground perfectly formed? No, language is created over time and shaped by regional dialects. Large swathes of the English we now think of as being "proper and educated" was originally slang.

The Normans played a similar game to what you're doing when they conquered England, by portraying Anglo-Saxon words as "poor and uneducated" compared to French import words. One such instance is the difference between the words "beef" and "cow", where both essentially mean the same thing, except the word "beef" is Norman while "cow" is Anglo-Saxon. The Norman word came to refer to the food derived from cows because Normans were richer and ate livestock without being involved in farming, while cow refers to the animal due to Anglo-Saxons being the farmers themselves and handling the live animals.

No shit. All language is obviously formed over time. But this is a first world country.

We live in a time now where English and how to properly use it is taught in basic public schools. It is standard. It is the degree you need to earn to be able to succesfully communicate with the masses in the country. Even if you aren't formally trained, the culture recognizes what is standard for speech in your relative country. Rappers who go against the grain or comedy revolving around speech and it's stereotypes are mainstream and understood. If you know English, you understand how it should be used, even if you lack the capacity to do so yourself.

Kids who don't pass English or don't bother to learn how to properly apply the language used in the country are literally less learned than those that do. If you try to apply to be a doctor without the proper education, you don't get the job and are considered not as educated as a doctor. If I was born in Africa and grew up speaking English to them instead of the click clack, I would be considered less educated there. This isn't rocket science.

when you shorten words and hardly annunciate anything that is said. All while developing words and phrases like "swag" , "lit" etc. Interjecting those words into daily and professional talk is childish let alone stupid.

The real question why are people like Ben Carson , lester holt etc etc attacked for speaking correct English ? It is a cultural identity that empathizes incorrect grammar and vocabulary?

I understand that language derives from area and location etc etc. But that has all but faded with the advent of the internet, but yet African-American Vernacular stays prepetually illiterate.

Its Ebonics.

>But this is a first world country.
>We live in a time now where English and how to properly use it is taught in basic public schools. It is standard.
You've obviously never met someone from Boston, Hawaii, New York, Philadelphia, the Midwest or deep South. Ever spoken to someone of french descent from Louisiana? What about a born and bred Boston meathead? There is no "standard" for speech here you moron. Talk to someone in San Francisco and they use completely different vocabulary, inflection and slang than someone from Philly or Wisconsin. If you're racist then just own up to it but there is no reality in which inner city speech and mannerisms are any more bizarre than the literal thousands of near indecipherable language and accents that make up language on this planet.

>The real question why are people like Ben Carson , lester holt etc etc attacked for speaking correct English?

Attacked by who? A random gaggle of morons on Twitter? It sounds as though you want to single out African Americans and significantly more "childish and stupid" than other groups but needs to distort reality in order to justify it. Do you have the same problem with Creole? Pigeon English? In your opinion, exactly how should language be used? New words are created all the time but you don't like "swag" or "lit" so obviously only certain words should be added to our lexicon. How is it you've decided which words are good enough to be invented and which ones aren't? Its obvious that you have formed an opinion on what is and isn't acceptable additions and alterations to the English language so, please, share with us which uses of this ancient language are acceptable to you and which uses aren't.

I have this same problem but for everyone with an accent
Not really black people but there are these nice Indian guys at my 7-11 who are really friendly but I can't understand a word of what they say

It's really not that hard to pay extra attention to someone with an accent, and you could always ask them to repeat what they said if you didn't understand.

This.

Ignore the bait Jow Forums posts. They're just speaking a different branch of English called AAVE, no different than not being able to understand someone speaking like a Scotsman or Irishman. It's no lesser form of English because it has actual rules and isn't just arbitrary "uneducated" bullshit.

People who are trying hard to be linguistic "purists" here don't know where the fuck to draw the line. Is American English no longer real English because UK English is more proper? Should we go back to the antiquated language used in the Canterbury Tales? Beowulf? Remove all French and Latin elements to revert it to a Germanic language? It's all bullshit and they're trying to further their agenda.

Many years ago i talked to some british chav on teamspeak while playing wow. The only thing i understood was "ya know wot i'm sayin m8"
It's not racist.

>"yallgotsummadatmadden numbah numbah fo fopsfo?"

Attached: im_laughing_at_you.jpg (236x260, 16K)

Yes, we carry Madden NFL for the playstation 4.

Broken English =/= accent

The thing is you have to reach deep into some village in Scotland to find someone that incomprehensible. People with black accent don't live in a different country, they are exposed to as much normal English as I am. Why so different?

Everyone is taught English in school to a proper level. The bastardisation of the language is just that because it is a fundamentally limited variant not justifiable in the face of mandatory state education. Scots language difference is partly due to the mixture of Gaelic and english - it isn't a limitation, inner city slang or the redneck slur doesn't have another language used in conjunction its just plain poor communication skills

Just looking at Scottish twitter is already incomprehensible. Some people know how to code switch between standard English and their home "dialect" but a lot might either not know how to switch or don't care.

Blacks who are isolated (and many definitely are) tend to only be able to listen and read standard English but not produce it. Blacks who are educated but come from a predominately black community know how to switch.

user, you clearly don't know proper English either.