Why the fuck is college so loved? I don't get it? Why does everyone say it's important?

Why the fuck is college so loved? I don't get it? Why does everyone say it's important?

trade-schools.net/articles/is-college-a-waste.asp

This smug ass article says I will basically be a failure without it... Why? Why is life centered around going to some bullshit professor who is so far up their own ass, to get an expensive piece of paper with your name on it for 4 years?

Attached: 8ptbh2ta10fz.jpg (640x640, 48K)

There are plenty of people who didn't go to college and still led happy and successful lives.

College isn’t for everybody, and you can be successful without it, but it can be useful for academic resources and networking.

It's loved because it's a rite of passage. It's useful because a degree acts as a certification from an accredited institution that you meet certain baseline criteria, making you a safer bet for hiring. Not everyone needs a degree, but a degree in a useful field can open many doors.

You can have a decent life without a college degree. For example, an electrician or welder only needs on average two years of training to land an apprentice job. Also, some service jobs are actually cool if you work with the right people, but those jobs are still looked down upon by older generations.

If you don't study a hard science in college (Chemistry, Microbiology, Applies Physics) you'll most likely go through a maze of bullshit to get a degree. That us, you'll be taught junk you'll never use in your field, or your major is absolute shit to begin with.

American universities are more so an intermediary where one can make connections rather than acquire wisdom or a certain skill. Undergraduate courses are regurgitation courses as a standard.

Unfortunately, this is the way it is. However, if you have the resources to go to college debt free, study something that will benefit society.

>There are plenty of people who didn't go to college and still led happy and successful lives.
The happy ones either inherited into some family business, have connections, or went into the trades (which usually still requires schooling)

>You can have a decent life without a college degree. For example, an electrician or welder only needs on average two years of training to land an apprentice job.
Still requires schooling

Unless you have some connections you will have to buckle down to the idea that you need some sort of training; either in college or in the trades.

Also - a lot of college degrees are pretty worthless. Even a lot of the STEM degrees don't pay a lot because of saturation.

College is wonderful IF you were raised from four years old to have picked your career and had 110% support from your parents with that goal, taken advanced classes in high school, done volunteering that supports that area of study, and applied and accepted to your dream University.

If at 20 you say, ehhhh I guess I’ll go to college, not sure what I will study... well not so much a success approach.

College used to be a great thing. When it became accessible to the majority of the population, everyone was super excited and saved up all of their money so they could afford to send their kids there. The kids that could get in went and learned from experts and masters in their fields. They learned from the best, and they became successful because there education was excellent.

Then college exploded. So many people wanted to go and were willing to pay through the nose to get a chance. Colleges multiplied like rabbits. There weren't enough experts to be professors so they started hiring average teachers. They wanted more tuition dollars so they started letting in students that didn't really belong in college. All of those students were failing so they had to dumb down the curriculum. It became a giant bloated mess that has close to zero educational value. However, people still believe that college educated people are more intelligent, because they refuse to entertain the idea that their own degree doesn't mean anything. So we keep up this farce, sending millions of underqualified people to get pointless degrees. Putting them in massive amounts of debt for no reason other then pride.

College actually became obsolete when the internet because accessible for everyone. The only reason colleges started is for academics to gather and share their knowledge with each other. Now a 12 year old can access all of that knowledge and more from his iphone.

Does college still provide some benefits? Sure, but we don't need college for those things and perpetuating this broken system just for the sake of networking and 'proving you can do it' is ridiculous.

Educational inflation.

Never forget that the original purpose of college and universities was so that the sons of nobility could gather to learn latin and then spend the rest of their time engaged in hedonism while calling it an education.

The thing about becoming a plumber or electrician or some other meme trade is that the job fucking sucks unless you're completely autistic for how pipes work. Otherwise yeah you can make money but it's still a shit job you'll resent everyday you wake up.

So you make $80-100k, doing a job you hate vs. making $18-22k like at Walmart, doing a job you hate...

My point is try to get a job you enjoy that also pays well enough. Don't fall for the trade meme unless you grew up dreaming and wanting to be a mechanic or plumber or whatever.

College is not for everyone, you either get the experience and learn with your colleagues or you go to class, go home, and do your work all by your lonesome. If you're smart you'll be fine, if you're not too bright you have to get help.

>a job you like that also pays well
Yeah those don't exist. If I made a thread asking how to succeed as a film director you would laugh at me for not being a STEMfag

It's loved because it gets colleges & lending institutions rich. Then your employer likes it because you're a good worker bee while you pay off your debt.

Fuck I hate smarmy articles like this

Schooling is what you make of it. The overwhelming majority of people who go to university nowadays do not make one single thing.

If you want to do computer science go to university. If you want to "save the world" go play videogames.

College is for shits who have nothing better to do...college only teaches u to get drunk and do stupid fraternity stuff, use ur common sense college will not help u survive in a world where people get shot up murdered, killed

>f you don't study a hard science in college (Chemistry, Microbiology, Applies Physics) you'll most likely go through a maze of bullshit to get a degree. That us, you'll be taught junk you'll never use in your field, or your major is absolute shit to begin with.
God I hate how obnoxious;y arrogant STEMfags are. As if the world revolved around their autism.

This. Education requires you to put in the time. It gives you projects and opportunities you can do, it facilitates socialization for connections, and can give you a million opportunities to prove yourself. If you don't take initiative, the benefits can be fewer.