/etm/ - Earth to Mars

"Thus, the central objection raised against the human settlement and terraforming of Mars: Such projects may be technologically feasible, but there is no possible way that they can be paid for. On the surface, the arguments given supporting this position appear cogent, for Mars is a distant place, difficult to access, and possesses a hostile environment that holds no apparent resources of economic value. These arguments appear ironclad, yet it must be pointed out that they were also presented in the past as convincing reasons for the utter impracticality of the European settlement of North America and Australia."
Robert Zubrin, The Case for Mars.

The true future of the European is to be out there amongst the stars, and how are we going to achieve that future ? There are obviously a number of things that must happen here on earth which will contribute towards a total victory but no matter what, we must ensure that /ourguys/ (that's you, Jow Forums) make it to Mars and are on the red planet from the very beginning.

Unlike other threads, /etm/ is not about direct funding, but about taking advantage of the commercial emigration scheme that will eventually come into play.

Attached: 1550354715891.jpg (1200x1855, 652K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QCz3rzA18hA
youtube.com/watch?v=_50N5QoQoc4
youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA&t
youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uyfqi_TE8&t
youtube.com/watch?v=8rYqXE51q24
youtube.com/watch?v=kmFOBoy2MZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=S0dqd72ALkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=EcFsOF-ULL8
b-ok.cc/book/2494830/138670
youtube.com/watch?v=tcTZvNLL0-w
thenewatlantis.com/publications/moon-direct
youtube.com/watch?v=TPXU_uQThGo
b-ok.cc/book/2858068/4c2f3a
youtube.com/watch?v=LBc7X8gMPwg
space.stackexchange.com/questions/19924/solar-panels-on-mars
pv-magazine-usa.com/2018/12/03/mars-solar-power-generation-record-set-with-29-5-efficiency-solar-cell/
universetoday.com/21293/despite-dust-storms-solar-power-is-best-for-mars-colonies/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

At the moment /etm/ is normally posted once a week every saturday around 10pm GMT and is a place on Jow Forums to speak about all things space related. Please try to ignore the flat-earth fags.

comfy videos

>NEW BFR Overview
youtube.com/watch?v=QCz3rzA18hA

>Educational Doc on Terraforming Mars:
youtube.com/watch?v=_50N5QoQoc4

>Space X Interplanetary Transport System:
youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA&t

>"Making Life Interplanetary" by Elon Musk:
youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uyfqi_TE8&t

>3 Companies Developing Game Changing Technologies
youtube.com/watch?v=8rYqXE51q24

>Isaac Arthur - "Outward Bound - Colonising Mars"
youtube.com/watch?v=kmFOBoy2MZ8

>Isaac Arthur - Mars: From science fiction, to science fact
youtube.com/watch?v=S0dqd72ALkQ

>Challenges of Colonizing Mars!
youtube.com/watch?v=EcFsOF-ULL8

Attached: 1550355236499.jpg (1575x2242, 1.43M)

I can't remember if I missed last week's or not

Attached: IMG_20190219_004948.png (396x411, 164K)

fuck it... I'm gonna buy The Case For Mars

>These constant calls for White Flight when the things we've built become too passively-invaded.

Fuck off, Shill. No, secure the future of our ancient homelands.

I'm waiting for a family friend to confirm if he has it so I can borrow

If you think Europeans are too weak to dedicate themselves on multiple fronts then I would question your faith in our race.

Everyone they send to mars is going to die a long terrible death. It’s prison with radiation and limited medical care.

Although I believe in colonization, we need to establish multiple outposts in space and on the planet. Have population exchanges and keep things interesting. I feel that after 10 years in space, it would be impossible to return to earths gravity.

I want to go to the moon first

Nice to see anons art from the last thread being put to good use.

This isn't about running away.
This is..... more of a tactical regroup ;)

We simply do not have a choice. OPis right and I have been following the general for a while now. We have to make sure racially aware whites are on Mars carrying on the struggle. This war for the future of our people must be taken to Mars ASAP.

>Everyone they send to mars is going to die a long terrible death. It’s prison with radiation and limited medical care.

>I want to go to the moon first

>incoming transmission from earth
*radio crackle*

"Gibs me dat fo' free"

Attached: 1475421547668.png (275x275, 12K)

It's outdated but mandatory reading.

>mandatory reading

Yeah
To be honest I should make a /etm/ recommended reading list for anyone who is interested

why Mars and not space stations and shit?
also: another books on the cuestion?

Case For Mars, Bob Zubrin
The High Frontier by Gerard O'Neill
Colonies in Space, by T. A. Heppenheimer
Rocket Propulsion Elements, Sutton
Space Mission Engineering, the new SMAD, Wiley, ed.
Fundamentals of Astrodynamics, Bates, etc
Mining the Sky, John Lewis
Rain of Iron and Ice, John Lewis

Mars is abundantly rich in one resource:
Leave me the fuck alone - ium

Paradise will be built on Mars by those who can, driven by the oppression of a tyranny of the masses that refuse to allow them on Earth.

>why Mars and not space stations and shit?
Some people dream in Red. There are lots of possible next steps in space. The only thing that likely matters is having a mostly safe destination to arrive at.

Space Stations would be great.
But look.... I have to make this clear, this general is not about dreams of what "could" or "should" happen. Mars is scheduled to become a reality very soon (if the spaceX cargo mission is a success)
What I am trying to do with /etm/ is show Jow Forums that this is something we need to be taking seriously if we want our race to survive.

Haha
Thanks m8. I'll use this list in a future general once I've checked them out.

How about all the lefty faggots go to Mars, and leave my home alone.

Attached: Kairi02~01.png (882x1435, 936K)

Why not just make Earth a better place for everyone?

to be honest for the few of you in here: the MAIN reason I post /etm/ is to combat the flat-earth and other dis-info/ blackpill shills who shit on the idea of space exploration on Jow Forums. I want /etm/ to be a place for healthy discussion about space related topics.

And just wait around for a volcano to eurpt? or climate change to fuck us? meteors to hit the planet?

:|

b-ok.cc/book/2494830/138670

There's lots of others but that's a good start. Add in specialty books based on interests. For general space inspiration I'd add:
We Seven, written by the actual Mercury astronauts.
Voices from the Moon, Chaiken
There are lots of technical books on specific subjects, like the Lunar Base Handbook or de Monchaux's Spacesuit, but tend to be fairly expensive. Another thing to look at is NASA Technical Reports as they are free and comprehensive.
All space science is Earth science. Space makes Earth better, fact.

Venus>Mars
Look up project HAVOC

>Nuke the kangs

Attached: images-90.jpg (619x495, 26K)

(checked)
It would certainly help to have summaries available. That's perhaps something us anons could do and we'd put them on some neocities.org website or so.

And you're spot on with this. Please continue with /etm/.

Attached: Starship_hopper.jpg (780x1171, 55K)

What said is correct, for the time being, seeing as it's based on a plan from 1996, but only because of Musk's BFR, which actually does incorporate a lot of the concepts such as Sabatier in-situ fuel and Methalox engines anyway.
As far as mission planning goes, it's still technically 1000x better than the current retarded SLS being built by NASA right now. It would actually still be the most viable plan if the BFR doesn't work out, as it still would be exactly the same and maybe even cheaper if you just used a falcon heavy for the first stage booster. Overall a fantastic book, well researched, I recommend the revised edition if you do buy it, pic related

Attached: IMG_20181017_220034.jpg (2448x3264, 2.29M)

>Mars atomosphere is mostly C02
>so MOXIE experiment is being developed to convert C02 to 02
>Earth has problems with too much C02
hmm

Thanks again. I'll look through all these so I can have a recommended reading section eventually

Pull reviews from Google Scholar, I don't have time for that.
Zubrin proposed Mars Direct for $55 Billion at a time when NASA's reference mission was estimated over $500 Billion. No one took ISRU seriously until Case for Mars.

You need to think about how to generate intrest in incels. Here are some ideas
1) Mars-chan - anime girl 2d
2) Conspiracy that Hitler escaped to Mars and waithing for them there
3)?

Maybe do topical Saturdays on /etm/.
>orbital dynamics
>habitation systems
>site locations
>etc

Revised edition? I'll probs get that then

yeah the 90 day plan was and still is insanely stupid, honestly I have no idea how they came up with something so needlessly complicated and expensive and expect congress to accept it

pic related

Attached: why space.jpg (984x5139, 2.14M)

Yes there will be more interesting threads in the future. But until spaceX has more to say about the cargo mission, I'm content with discussion forming naturally. I don't want to exhaust good topics early on because I plan on posting this general for many years.

gravitational wells are like cosmic slums

>mars-chan
has to be a tsundere

See also "The Mars Underground"
youtube.com/watch?v=tcTZvNLL0-w

Attached: template_Mars_Ascendant.png (1080x1080, 104K)

Im looking forward to seeing european colony spaceships doing what our people must do to continue the journey on the upward path to higher more perfect forms.

I would also like to say user this the only major scale accoplisment that europeans will have achived in the 21st century, Of course we will have won many battles and wars on earth but this mission will define our people as the race that went from the 'self hating trash' to a space colonizing force that is ever expanding to new worlds.

Attached: 20190223_220504.jpg (800x1910, 547K)

Adding the templates from last week.

Attached: template_Mars_Ascendant_2.png (700x450, 15K)

That's a nice logo, can very easily imagine it on the arm patch of a spacesuit

Attached: template_Mars_Ascendant_3.png (700x450, 23K)

Bumping for Moon direct, yes even the Loonies have their own Zubrin-approved plan now

thenewatlantis.com/publications/moon-direct

Attached: 20181002_TNA56Zubrin3Phases1000w.jpg (1000x1350, 445K)

atm Mars Ascendant and the logo is just for the propaganda. But yes, the logo is great. I like what user from the last thread did... similar to Generation Identity.

>And you're spot on with this. Please continue with /etm/.

Thanks and I will

lol saved

>but this mission will define our people as the race that went from the 'self hating trash' to a space colonizing force that is ever expanding to new worlds.

Agreed. I'm hopeful that I can spread this message to the rest of Jow Forums in time.

>These arguments appear ironclad, yet it must be pointed out that they were also presented in the past as convincing reasons for the utter impracticality of the European settlement of North America and Australia.
except that america had an extraordinary abundance of natural resources that everyone already knew about

One thing to keep in mind about survivability on Mars is that chemical procedures exist which can liberate water and oxygen from iron oxides. Ideally we'd want to create some form of autonomous robot that scours the martian surface, and through employing this method collects water and oxygen for the colonies in the process.

Attached: 476484784.jpg (1005x628, 146K)

Mars has more than enough to colonize, water, Iron, usable land, and a huge abundance of Deuterium compared to Earth

Attached: 82km-wide-ice-filled-crater__182602_.jpg (799x449, 259K)

Attached: 1550096670382.jpg (639x1077, 233K)

youtube.com/watch?v=TPXU_uQThGo

>huge abundance of Deuterium compared to Earth
We can harvest the deuterium and use it to lower the energy costs of transportation to Mars. This could create a positive feedback loop where we just keep going back because it may even be useful and profitable to haul excess deuterium back to Earth.

Attached: 546456.jpg (830x467, 301K)

Attached: 1547329487898.jpg (1222x973, 590K)

Not everyone deserves the be better off

Already some practical ideas? Something we should send early on?

Attached: mars_base.jpg (1600x1035, 382K)

Bumping for interest

Attached: Mars.jpg (800x800, 173K)

add that with a Sabatier reactor and nuclear generator and water/fuel/oxygen production is all already covered

Attached: img28.png (638x470, 588K)

up

bump

Attached: TcVUMLM.jpg (3840x1080, 437K)

>solar

lol let me know when you get serious

It's a lot easier to ship iron, coal and uranium from North America and Australia to Europe than it is to ship those same materials from Mars for fuck sake.

>puerto rico
fuck of island nigger

?

Hold it right there wh*teboi

Attached: 3949704E-3ED7-44C6-9EB3-62B8EE26C686.jpg (766x453, 251K)

sheeeiiiit

Attached: 1547340089074.png (1198x789, 1.18M)

remove the fusion stuff, might as well be talking about unicorns
remove the alpha centraui probe, totally fake

4 u

Attached: 1550956390237.jpg (605x953, 262K)

>It's a lot easier to ship iron, coal and uranium from North America and Australia to Europe than it is to ship those same materials from Mars for fuck sake.
This is true with our current technology, but the process can be alleviated with the implementation of a space elevator, for example, and/or using the moon as a staging area.

Attached: 5464564565664.jpg (1200x800, 1.27M)

b-ok.cc/book/2858068/4c2f3a

how do we solve the sandstorm problem?
are nuclear reactors the only solution for reliable power?

Attached: mon visage.png (1008x1018, 59K)

Solar is less efficient on mars that on earth. It is farther away. Nuclear is the only option. Nuclear will be used for everything from heating, running machinery to running the sabatier process to fuel stuff.

PROTIP:
If someone has a plan, and it doesn't use nuclear for everything, it is a Art Student Concept and not a plan. Its a good litmus test.

I guess we'll have to build underground more. Ultimately, all that sand is just something we are going to have learn to live with.

There is no sandstorm problem. Stop watching hollywood for information

we will never go to Mars, and we never went to the moon either

based spic

>for everyone?
"Mars mission" is a plan. You should know better.

>equips tinfoil hat
we could inhabit the ancient megalithic structures left behind there by our progenitors
>removes tinfoil hat

Attached: cia remote viewing of mars.jpg (673x881, 107K)

>NUCLEAR IS THE ONLY OPTION

Well shit. How are we transporting a nuclear power plant to Mars then?
>oh wait that's right

Retard. Solar is what the first settlement is going to be powered by.

God these threads are always full of 80iq faggots talking about space elevators, solar panels, sandstorms, and fusion.

Attached: 1-s2.0-S1738573315001540-gr11.jpg (667x387, 105K)

>UK being a uneducated faggot
Did you want a ride or not?

>broke: space elevator
>woke: orbital ring

It's the water boiling off that helps causes it, the regolith dries out and turns to dust. If we can increase atmospheric pressure it might help. Very long term, we can grow plants with deep roots to help anchor it down and hold water in too. Deep plowing in the 1930's uprooted these kinds of plants and helped create the american dustbowl back then.

Attached: 01_00976648.jpg (728x559, 99K)

It takes about 15 days by my calculations for a ship containing iron ore to go from Australia to China.

For a Mars-Earth trip, the load would have to average 151,000kph to get from Mars to Earth in 15 days.

And the resources would have to be thrusted pretty damn hard to get off mars, so you'd need a space elevator on mars too.

And to get the space elevator on mars, you'd have to expend fucking metric fuck tons of rocket fuel to get all the resources there. Cause mars has a strong gravity too remember.

It would probably take 1000s of years to pay off such an investment on mars.

Yes we did, and your countrymen played an essential role in it. We will go to Mars and terraform it, and create eco-centric global empire while fully achieving Arno Breker's aesthetic.

Attached: 1518403442703.jpg (197x256, 6K)

What makes you so sure?
other people seem really concerned about them
I mean we could mechanically clean the panels daily if we had people on-site, but there is still the issue of reduced power for significant periods

Attached: storm.png (1137x2497, 1.17M)

Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=LBc7X8gMPwg

Daily reminder that when open air structures become possible are Mars, Boulee's will be the only lawful style.

Attached: 1587725954156.jpg (600x331, 42K)

I'm off to bed for now, night y'all

>Remember, this is why we fight

Attached: mars-travel03-1.jpg (1365x2048, 560K)

1st, I work at JPL this is literally my field.
2nd. Mars atmosphere is 0.087 psi

If you need more information than 0.087 psi, you are too dumb ore too uneducated to discuss this with.

In the beginning it's the best options. It requires efficiency gains in the panels and energy efficient processes for all machinery.

space.stackexchange.com/questions/19924/solar-panels-on-mars

pv-magazine-usa.com/2018/12/03/mars-solar-power-generation-record-set-with-29-5-efficiency-solar-cell/

universetoday.com/21293/despite-dust-storms-solar-power-is-best-for-mars-colonies/

Nuclear produces too much heat for Mars.
You have no rivers to cool heat. Solar is unintuitively better.

aesthetic as fuck, and achievable with 0.3g

Attached: Étienne-Louis_Boullée_Nationalbibliothek.jpg (1190x798, 424K)

comfy tune
first minute reminds me of red faction

This
Night m8

>I work at JPL
And I'm your dad

it's all propaganda

Attached: OutOfYourElementDonnie.jpg (738x502, 52K)