Is CS as meme degree as people claim?

Is CS as meme degree as people claim?

Thinking of switching from math major to cs.

Attached: 1540186788742.jpg (640x571, 78K)

>Is CS as meme degree as people claim?
Yes.
>Thinking of switching from math major to cs.
Don't, just self study it.

Attached: CS guide.png (1068x1142, 178K)

What do you want to do?
If you just want shekels fuck STEM and go business management.

math is better than cs

>Thinking of switching from math major to cs.
almost fell for that bait

>CS
not science or math

doesn't that apply to anything?
Just self study?

it literally is
this is where the "Cs is a meme" meme falls apart. they all say "just do it yourself lmao" but this literally applies to any field unless it requires practical experience (i.e. engineering and some physics fields)

Self studying philosophy is a really, really bad idea.
Also, going to uni gives you access to some nice resources, like the uni library, and teachers that can answer your stupid question.
libgen.io and asking on /sqt/ does work, tho.

>this is where the "Cs is a meme" meme falls apart. they all say "just do it yourself lmao" but this literally applies to any field unless it requires practical experience (i.e. engineering and some physics fields)
Exactly.

>Self studying philosophy is a really, really bad idea
this is literally the best idea and the only correct way to study philosophy. of course, you are required to not be a brainlet for that and this is where most people fail

I think this infographic must have really rustled some autist's jimmies, considering the much larger than normal influx of anti-CS shilling.

Attached: 1542878255982.jpg (1200x938, 111K)

the only requirement to earn a fuckton of money in CS is not being retarded
feels fucking good, man

"Computer Science" jobs include code monkey positions and there's a fuckton of them. If you major in CS to be a code monkey you're a fucking moron, CS is only good if you plan to go to grad school.

>journo major thinks software jobs are exclusively cs
>Jow Forums is retarded enough to believe

kek

CS is basically high school level material and very easy to learn.

>seething mechfags have arrived
reminder that I will earn a six figure salary within 5 years in a welfare state simply because of my meme degree with a certain specification

Not bait.
Honest question. Not that I don't appreciate mathematicians, but I'm just too brainlet for it.

Life is short and right now I just want to make money and have a decent, non-soulshredding job. The amount of time I put unto learning math is insane compared to what I'd have learned and progressed from other majors.

Attached: 1423510394291.jpg (640x360, 73K)

up

If your end goal is work in software, why would you study a completely unrelated subject? That is literally the same retarded logic that liberal arts majors use to convince themselves they can work any job because of "muh well-roundedness."

If people think CS major is just coding, you are fucking stupid.

>your end goal is work in software
what do you consider "software" retard?
most astrophysicists mainly write "software" too

I'm gonna study math to wank my small cock about how its challenging and interesting, instead of getting an actual useful degree!!

I mean getting a decent job at Google/Facebook/Amazon/etc. making over $100k. The best you can possibly hope for in astrophysics is a $35k a year postdoc.

you don't get 100k at a company with simple codemonkeying, that's the point. if you want to start making a lot of money soon, you need to fill some kind of niche that's currently in high demand (big data, ml). you can gain knowledge in these subjects by yourself, but without a cs degree plus proven specifications no-one is gonna take you seriously, unless you already have worked at a company in this position.

>If your end goal is work in software, why would you study a completely unrelated subject?
Yeah, why study a completely unrelated subject like cs for example.

Attached: CS degree jobs.png (823x378, 56K)

>two retards arguing on YouTube
what exactly is your point here

Attached: 1509766791322.jpg (809x1000, 113K)

>I am incapable of rational thought and only repeat internet memes

>I will
>within 5 years
>"will"
>"in 5 years"

So you're a freshman cs major who's taking precalculus or ""college"" algebra and needs to delay graduation by a year because you can't actually start taking any freshman courses. But you know everything about industry already and it contradicts everything that people who actual work have experienced.

I shouldn't even bother replying since this doesn't confirm your biases and you'll surely reply back with "meme".

>I mean getting a decent job at Google/Facebook/Amazon

You better not be white and/or male.

As a counterpoint to that, I'm a mechanical engineer that fell for the "your degree doesn't matter" meme, and now I make half as much as my friends who did CS. I am unable to get programming jobs despite having a good portfolio and lots of programming experience. Also I did undergrad CS research.

Yeah, I totally need to know that regular expression are equivalent to NDFA every day at my job at google. Totally not unrelated. Totally a meme to call it so.

You do if you want to pass the interview, dumbass.

>I am unable to get programming jobs despite having a good portfolio and lots of programming experience.

Link to your github

Attached: 1276874742584.png (417x401, 143K)

It has my name on it, so I can't. My research was related to machine learning and global optimization though.

>freshman cs major who's taking precalculus or ""college"" algebra
already done, and we did it together with the engineers btw, so much for "cs math is inferior"
>can't actually start taking freshman courses
what? is this some kind of retarded Amerifat rule?
>you know everything about the industry already
not everything, but a lot because I have relatives who work in the industry themselves
>it contradicts everything that people who actual work have experienced
it really doesn't. sorry to burst your coping bubble mate

You've never had a software interview, have you? Holy shit, you are in for a world of hurt.

>already done, and we did it together with the engineers btw, so much for "cs math is inferior"
So you took precalculus in college. And you think you aren't a brainlet? Top kek.

>what the fuck are equivalence classes? I thought CS was a meme degree with minimal math
>pumping lemma? the fuck is this shit
your average "Cs is easy"-tard, everybody, failing at even the most "babbys first theoretical informatics" topics

>precalculus
who the fuck said anything about precalculus, we do that shit in highschool here

>when you argue against your own team
What did he mean by this?

Two fields of study had to be invented to make CS look more solid as a science. Psychology and Climatology. But psychologists are more likely to bathe and take care of themselves.

Attached: skeet.jpg (475x356, 32K)

my team is being an uneducated retard who thinks you can learn everything by yourself and don't actually need cs aside from softwaredev skills?
wat?

No. Reread the posts that you're replying to, you miserable autist.

I meant that in context of obviously, don't get the wrong idea

>If your end goal is work in software, why would you study a completely unrelated subject?
Because most of these "software" jobs are code monkey jobs and don't require a CS degree, just doing trade school and knowing the current fad technology is enough.

But if that's true then why don't you have one?

>butthurt climate denier shoe horning it into every topic he can

There's more to life than money

>implying the pumping lemma (any version) is a hard topic to understand
>implying fucking equivalence classes are a hard topic to understand

Holy fuck cs majors are retarded

your forgot to add "due to climate change". A whole field built around pointing any and all results toward one conclusion.

>completely ignoring what he said after
at least learn to read, retard

up

>tfw le smart but lazy :^)

“meme degree” is incel terminology

Well what kind of job do you want? Software? A CS degree is a springboard into other tech jobs too. Cloud, big data, automation, etc. I'd say a CS degree opens up many paths in the tech field and I'd much rather have a CS degree than a math degree if I wanted to get hired somewhere. If you wanted to get into software development a coding boot camp is also a possibility but they cost more money than people think. Most likely you'll just end up with some web or mobile development job through them though which aren't really all that exciting. Also make sure you go for as many internships as possible. A good portfolio is nice too.