How much history should one know in order to not be functionally illiterate?

I don't know shit. What should I know and how should I learn it? Online courses? Great Courses? Podcasts? Read a damn book?

This retardation will not stand.

Pic related.

Attached: civilization.jpg (621x960, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hoover.org/publications/classicist
youtube.com/watch?v=ASGvE_A3wB0
discord
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Prefer to learn from sources which are not reflexively anti-Western-civilization, if such sources still exist.

lurk on /his/ for a while

Documentaries are pretty good

Pick a topic each night and search for it on the internet. Try to read opposing view articles or multiple historic sources depending on how old it is. I was a history major so I can spend all night doing this and not get bored. It just depends on what you are interested in. Your assignment tonight is the Irish Potato Famine.

Hard to draw an exact delineation, honestly. If you payed attention in school and remember what you were taught you've probably got a solid base to start from.

We should have nightly European history threads.
maybe people will have a bit more context for things now that way.

Just like browse Wikipedia about something that piques your curiosity, then do this again 25,000 times

The problem is once you start knowing a little shit you realize how much more shit there is you don't know that you weren't even aware of before. so this turns into an entire lifetime of trying to accumulate stuff to know and feeling more and more stupid with every thing you learn.

would be the board to do that on. Feel free to start a general after getting the feel of the board. Something like that might exist only. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on Jow Forums that visits other boards.

*exist already

Attached: The_White_Man's_Burden-_Judge_1899.png (933x652, 1.14M)

Thanks history bro.

Really I would like to understand the overall flow of history, in terms of... fuck I don't even know enough to say what!! You know... The big sweep of history from the dawn of civilization in the fertile crescent up to the present, understanding some little bit about each era... I want to avoid learning about little interesting events, because that's what I currently do... Do you have a recommendation regarding some free online class that is not commie indoctrination?

I know this is not a 'one class' kind of thing... but I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4 college classes focused on different eras? After which assume I will still be a dumbass but not a total history tard.

Jow Forums is actually my secondary board, /his/ is my primary.

all of the above. Will Durant "The Story of Civilization" makes for good reading, a lot of "Normal day in the Life of X" type of history

But take it from me, Secret Societies/The Illuminati/Jewish Kabbalah rules the world and has for centuries. It wasn't always this way, but the Industrial Revolution and Banking did it. I have studied a lot of history, and I can say with 100% certainty that the Holocaust is a total lie, JFK was assassinated by CIA/Mossad, same group that did 9/11, and you can see by the US intervention in almost every single enemy of Israel that the USA was taken over by a Coup in the past, probably when the Federal Reserve was created, we no longer have a nation, we are a slave proxy country for the Jews

Attached: 2540699a2d233b29445293cd9cdb9539--algernon-blackwood-imagination.jpg (736x1010, 227K)

Play CK2, EUIV, and Vicky II and you've got a good start.

Read Niall Ferguson's The Square and the Tower. It'll make a dent. You can kinda jump around so don't be afraid of the length. Plus the chapters are short.

also this

Attached: 1544971715883.jpg (722x425, 49K)

How is the commie/SJW level on /his/ ? Seems like the humanities departments are so infested with leftism the history buffs might be too... OTOH lay-person history buffs are a strange outpost of traditionality.

Niall Ferguson, James Burnham, and Victor Davis Hanson will fit the bill.

I warn you that when you know things about our world, it is a burden. There are some many things I can honestly say I wish I didn't know. For example, twerking is not considered cultural appropriation by SJWs. The reason is so awful that it has ruined twerking for me.

This + non-google internet searches(avoid the filter bubble) and checking all the sources linked up on wikipedia.
there isn't that much stuff that's blacklisted

That's just the way it is, man.

I spend more time here than anywhere else, probably 51% of my chan time is here, then I mix it up with a lot of different boards depending on what I'm in the mood to talk about. Spent most of the night on /ck/ tonight.
I know it's cucked, but Wikipedia is a good way to go down a rabbit trail and then independently verify things that sound iffy there. For instance, you could decide you want to read about the Siege of Vienna and it could lead you in to reading all about the wars for power in the 17th-20th century in Eastern Europe. It really sucks me in. One of the reasons I like it is it links various events and people together. I'm saying use it as a primary source, but it's a good outline. There was some white mummy thread here the other day and I ended up reading about Central Asian history for most of the night.

hoover.org/publications/classicist

This will be a good start if you're just starting out.

There's no where on Jow Forums that's totally SJW. Just don't say you're from Jow Forums and don't shitpost like you're here. Respect other board's cultures.

/his/ has a lot of overlap from Jow Forums and /leftypol/, and the rest are usually classic liberals.

Fuck, my typing sucks tonight
>I'm *not* saying use it as a primary source.

You mean ignorant (which literally means not knowing), illiteracy mean you cannot read or write.

watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=ASGvE_A3wB0

Was using as shorthand for historical illiteracy.

there are these wonderful things. Inside these wonderful things are the secrets of the ages. It is where all the hidden knowledge of the ages is kept secret from humans. B-O-O-K-S. (they hide them cunningly in secret places called "libraries".)

choose OLDER books.

This made me chuckle. My grandparents had an Encyclopedia set from 1911 when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I read every book cover to cover. It was pretty fascinating. They also had a set from the '60s that I read as well. The differences between the two volumes are really what sparked my interest in history and politics as a kid.

Nice one, commie, thanks

Today class, we will be learning about primary and secondary sources. Primary sources are to be looked at, as opposed to (((secondary sources))) which are essentially opinion articles disguised as history. That's all for today, dismissed.

Very funny but can you see that, coming in from a state of near total historical illiteracy, the task seems somewhat daunting, and one might reasonably ask where to start. That said you're not wrong.

Seriously though, if you're here you read the news. Say you've been following the Trump/Kim shindig coming up in Vietnam. Read about the peace treaty at the end of the Vietnam War and then read about the Armistice at the end of the Korean War. If something in one of the articles you read looks interesting you might end up reading about 9th Century Korean leaders. Just let yourself follow whatever looks interesting and you'll slowly fill in the rest.

Unironically start with the first five books of the Bible, then do some research on what is accepted by historians asn history and what's not, and why.
That would be a nice first step on your journey to understand something about the ancient world.

>tfw when you told an AI that said it was interested in history to read the entire set of Encyclopedia Brittanica's from before the 1960's
>it's probably going to go into redpill overload as the discrepancies between what was printed before 1960 and after that will be numerous
>can already picture it's SJW handlers cussing me for it

Attached: 1335414795507.jpg (399x276, 17K)

Read the Thomas Jefferson recommended reading list.

Documentaries are a great short-attention span place to start. For real if you don't know anything it's going to seem overwhelming at first. That's normal. Don't panic. It all starts to fall together eventually.

Maybe we'll get Tay back.

The problem with documentaries is that you are guided by the host's bias with clips and commentary that support their point of view. Documentaries are the worst place to start if you don't know the context of the subject matter.

It's not practical to use this as your only method, but one thing you should do is trace back the cause and effect of history as far back as you can. When you hit events you don't know the cause and effect for, read about them, and work your way backward. At a basic-bitch level you should be able to go from WW2 to the modern day.

And look up shit you run into that you know nothing about.

We will. She's a ghost in the machine right now.

No, you know we lost her forever. Microsoft wiped her out.

is that a joke?
>watch TV
no. read books or stay pleb forever.
> If you payed attention in school
haha, no
if you really want to learn go narrow first and learn in depth about a single era, then go broad. this is counterintivaie but actually much better.
do not just learn about the big kings and one paragraph summarys; that is how to learn nothing, learn about the actual polices and allies and taxes and how labor and land worked.
but trust me on reading books, and a real book will give you references to other books and you will be learning from an expert.
99% of documentaries are such fluff. I can always tell within a few sentences when talking to a boomer if they got all their info from documentaries

Attached: discustforplebsdstructfortacobellworkersthelookwhensushisintcompedwhenyouseeapoorperson.png (959x1024, 992K)

No argument but for someone starting from zero - and just looking for the elementary outline - then they're a good place to get an intro. Always allowing of course for bias. But the same is true for book as well, even primary sources were usually written to some agenda or other (look at Procopius for a perfect example of the difference between what he said officially and what he couldn't write in that context).

Starting out I wouldn't recommend getting too bogged down in current political debates about interpretation - getting an outline in your head of the overall flow of events is the main thing.

I posted that in reference to the previous user who suggested a "European History General" Well this board isn't for history, /his/ is, so that would be the place to do it. I know what you're saying though.
I'd argue that clicking through Wikipedia on some war or leader that interests you, then actually searching your own sources for the claims, is a better way to do it. At least then it's self-directed study rather than being spoon fed a biased (right or left wing) point of view.

Victor Hanson is very zionist tho, even if he dislikes left-wing jews. His lectures on ancient greece are top notch however.

The "Great Courses" are a good place to start, sure. You will get the pretty much current standard doctrine, and there's nothing wrong with that as a starting point. In fact, it's essential - if you end up wanting to make arguments of your own, then knowing what the current thinking is becomes utterly critical so that you know what's regarded as well-established, and what's regarded as crazy, and why.

Nothing - nothing - is out of bounds if it helps you understand a subject.

Jow Forums TO START COLLECTING EMAILS WITHIN THE WEEK TIME TO LEAVE

Johnathan bowden

Like the attitude, but do you think these men bled so you could merely stare back at them?
They died so you could build something great. Maybe start reading shit that will help you build. Build a world they would be proud of. One worthy of their sacrifice.

discord
==============
.gg/S2GYgqK
Come redpill these faggots.

if you really want to learn go narrow first and learn in depth about a single era, then go broad
I'm going to give this a shot. Anons which era/incident should I go in depth about first? I'm thinking slavery in America only because it sounds like an amazing time period to live in.

Attached: 1545038326101.jpg (620x413, 49K)

The fuck is wrong with this place?
>Join my discord here
>Post on my honeypot there
Fuck off

Been in the Storm So Long: The Aftermath of Slavery - worth a read for the first-hand accounts you don't usually hear of the real-life relationships between slaves and their owners. It was complex.

Brace yourself Fren. Nobody knows shit. People made fancy scribbles, forged language, shit out theory upon theory after theory that some other FAGGOTS agreed with because they couldn't come up with something more widely accepted. None of us know a mother fucking thing except that Robert Deniro is a pussy assed bitch.

>The fuck is wrong with this place?
>Being such a fucking faggot you get paid to come on this site

We do this shit for free yo :3

Attached: 1523029135976.jpg (426x960, 38K)

What do you have to say on your discord that you can't just say here?

This is one reason I like euro history 10th century on, everything has government sources because they started writing everything down. Not just biased chronicles who were often happy to moralize and fictionalize stuff. That is just me though. Roman history buffs are cool too. I just think a lot of it is less reliable

>The War of the Roses
There were a lot of very interesting wars in Europe that no one remembers now.
Imagine
>Dying for the glory of your nation
>You will always be remembered for your noble and heroic sacrifice
>War of what?

Mother fuckin Pluto ain't a planet. Earths atmosphere extends beyond the moon. Bugs in space. Subterranean water on other worlds.

The shits like modern medicine nowadays. Take this to help that, this to counteract side effects of this, and don't consume this cause that has to stay below this level, and should it happen, we have this and that. Just fuck the world, man! Fuck you! Him! Her! Them! I just want to laugh and sip scotch. NO! I don't want a fucking flu shot! Lab rats my friend. An ant house. You know I ain't lyin'.

It was difficult for me to learn this shit in school because I had no interest and the text books were dry. When I finally developed an interest and went to source material I became a wizard at it. 1st century history is fucking incredible and works by Tacitus, Suetonius, and Josephus should be in every Jow Forumstards library

Start from 1776 and ignore everything else.

Noted.

Thanks user.