What are professions that are like blacksmithing?

I've always been drawn to medieval blacksmithing. However, I come from a family that would not allow me to go to trade school. What are some white collar professions that are like blacksmithing?

Attached: large_The-Blacksmith-Pobble-365.png (1280x701, 861K)

Other urls found in this thread:

123test.com/career-test/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nigga if you're over 18 who the fuck cares what your family will and won't let you do (pro tip no one can stop you)

Working in corporate finance (and then using the cash to set up a forge in your backyard so that ye can smithy on the weekends)

It's a bit more complicated.

I've thought about that, what would be a good major for that?

it isn't really because I know you mean "I won't get a free ride if I go to trade school" but to answer your question, no there are no white collar jobs that are close.

Graphic design. Requires tons of practice, anything you create will be used by someone (if not millions of people), and has secret knowledge that is "passed down" by pros to proteges, which you will not learn about from books or in school.

I won't get to inherit my grandfather's farm if I go to trade school but my grandfather's last wish was for me to take care of that place

alright that's fair, because I seem like an ass now, how about 3D modelling?

I'm really not artistic, that would probably bar me from doing graphic design right?

See:
Sorry for making you sound like an ass

Mechanical engineering?
They weld and machine stuff depending on the job

>go to community college
>inherit grandad's farm
>lolthanks
>go to trade school
>take care of his farm

>I'm really not artistic, that would probably bar me from doing graphic design right?
Nah, I'm not artistic either and I have a degree in graphic design. Usually artistic people want to express their imagination, graphic designers are more about organizing, presenting information, creating a vibe, and helping to sell a product or service. It's more logical than arts.

Pour iron for a foundry, you’ll make like $40/hr

There are agricultural colleges m8. Sounds right up your assey

123test.com/career-test/

Just become policeman or firefighter if you hate sitting on your ass all day staring into pc.

This. Take accounting. Then, build a forge and furnace in your backyard. Look into ABANA.

So you’re not artistic and thought you could become a blacksmith? Lolwut?

You’d better get artistic then dude, download blender and get to learning. It is the closest thing that I know of since smithing for the most part is done by machines now.

That's machining. People around me still make iron hinges and things. Mostly for old house restorations. Blacksmithing is a side hustle rather than a career path now.

Problem with 3D modelling is no one will pay you for it, unless you're top tier 5%. Local businesses don't need 3D models.

You can work for video game companies cant u?

Metallurgy

Uh what
You could go on fiverr and charge $40/hr for modeling right now
Or flat $800 for a complete VRchat avatar

>What are some white collar professions that are like blacksmithing?
What mushrooms did to eat for this question to somehow make sense in your mind?

He's looking for a job that will leave him with a sense of accomplishment and progress at the end of the day.

Then software development, I guess. It's the white collar version of building stuff.

If you're not artistic why would you go into... oh forget it.

That seems to be the general consensus here. He should build a smithy in his backyard. Props if he goes whole hog and makes his own charcoal or buys it. Even more if he starts smelting bog iron.

>Go to trade school to become a welde- NVM INHERIT GRANDPAS GODDAMN FARM

You do know what it means to own a farm, right?

Isn't there a lot of repair/handiwork involved in maintaining a farm or something?

Did you reply to the right post?

Yep. A load of people are recommending software development and modeling. I just think he could do blacksmithery in his spare time. Depending on the age of the houses near him, his skill, and his ability to market himself, he can make a decent side hustle doing iron hinges and things for restorations.

>A load of people are recommending software development
I don't see anyone here mentioning software development before me.

Point was blacksmithing should be his hobby.

Your point had nothing to do with anything you replied to.

!!!!
Wait okay, I'm not OP but really? Please tell me this is true.

I want to go into STEM, but I'm also ADHD AF and feel like I need to move plus my family (Dad's side) and me just seem to have a tendency for the mechanical stuff for whatever reason, but I don't really see myself as a greasemonkey either and like science, coding, building/making/designing and solving problems.

Is this real?

>science, coding, building/making/designing and solving problems

Realize that young tradesmen today are good at these things. Any trade you want to get into at an experienced level deals with smarts and long term pay off through experience.

I agree with this, OP.
It should be a hobby. If you care enough you can make it happen, but first and foremost you have to find what makes you money and if you really want to figure out what makes you happy and makes you money.

I know you said white collar jobs, but you seriously won't find any that will really satisfy I think. Become either a gunsmith or a welder and fuck your family

Well, I like science and stuff though... like I'm one of those I-wish-I-could-be-an-astronaut types.
I'm already taking calc 2 as it is.

Also, I hate to say it, but even downs patients can build dressers and break cars down as easily proven through that one meeh-ish Netflix documentary about the Avery family.

I love that you're telling OP to kill his dream to instead become a pencil-pushing white-collar NPC office worker

>but coding is like blacksmithing - with logic and reason instead of steel and fire!

This makes me want to drink bleach. Anything can be like something when you pass it through the metaphor washing machine a few times.

I mean he can try to do what ever he wants. I think he just has to be practical. Why not get a head start on disappointment and resign to a job that pays before he can live his dreams?

Anything you do for a living is fine as long as you still use your mind. If you want knowledge you don't need a degree.

>resign to a job that pays

He can easily get "a job that pays" that isn't as far-removed as possible from what his dream career would be. Software development is practically the complete opposite of blacksmithing. The former is a purely mental desk job where you rarely get to see the results of your work especially on a day to day basis, whereas the latter is an extremely physical job where you see the results of your work with every single thing that you do.

This is the best of both worlds.

Welding, similar to blacksmithing, and you can get paid a LOT of money.
>$21/hr for low end starting jobs
>nearly double that if you get underwater welders certs

Why the fuck do you think you can't do something unless its your job or education? Learning as a hobby is an important thing today.

That is like saying driving tractor trailers is like driving a race car. You do not have to combine interests with work.

>you can't do something unless its your job or education

That's not what I said. I said that if OP wants to be a blacksmith, suggesting that he becomes the polar extreme opposite of a blacksmith is maybe not a good compromise.

Also speaking from experience with parents and other older people, nothing is sadder than people who resign their passion in life to be a fuckin "hobby" and when they reach middle age and older they talk about how they could have been this and could have been that

>when they reach middle age and older they talk about how they could have been this and could have been that

So the younger you are, the smarter you should be and you should be more active. There are so many resources in the world that you can extract from.

...But I want to do more than that and I'm already invested.

Just because he owns the land doesn't mean he has to work it, if his family is making him get a degree don't y'all think he's more like them upper class rural folk.

>So the younger you are, the smarter you should be and you should be more active. There are so many resources in the world that you can extract from.

That's a pperfectly valid statement and observation and not something I disagree with, sure.

The problem is that they resigned to a life of office work or becoming a teacher or a plumber because it was a safe career, and they downgraded their dreams and passion in life into little hobbies. just like what people are saying OP should do.

>I'm already invested.

Then don't change course. If you go balls deep once you can do it again.

>I want to do more than that
Just remember a lot of people have no choice in their job or how long they work because they have to make ends meet. And remember that a job is a luxury at the end of the day no matter how much time it takes out of your dream life.

I might be making an assumption, but I doubt you have worked long hours in your life.
Anything that you do you will adapt to and enjoy. It doesn't matter what it is, you learn it and its suddenly fun and interesting. If you have dreams just don't let go of them and you can make it happen in a realistic way. Why can't op spend 6 months to smith a weapon instead of days.

>I might be making an assumption, but I doubt you have worked long hours in your life.

Oh boy, you are.

>Anything that you do you will adapt to and enjoy. It doesn't matter what it is, you learn it and its suddenly fun and interesting.

No actually, not everyone is meant for every type of job, and some jobs are objectively shitty jobs.

>If you have dreams just don't let go of them and you can make it happen in a realistic way.

Again, nice fortune cookie statement but people are telling OP to literally let go of his dream and instead work as a code monkey and turn his dream into a gay little hobby.

hobbies arent gay you fag

If those hobbies used to be your dream? it''s actually really gay, and sad.

I assumed that's what he meant by "look after"
>them upper class rural folk.
I don't actually know this meme.

I don't know either, other than like Texas oil barons and families who managed to buy out millions of square miles of land to turn it into factory farms.

Folks who just own one farm aren't upper class, they're living in servitude to a bank who own their farm..

>don't change course
>a job is a luxury at the end of the day no matter how much time it takes out of your dream life.
Okay......
I feel like you don't understand American college at all.
It might be a shit system, but at the very least there is a lot of flexbility still left to me right now. Its just that I will be going into STEM at this point otherwise the investment would not have made sense.

As for the whole a job is a luxury thing...
Dude that's not how... I'm invested college to find a good and well paying career. I don't know what you're trying to tell me?

*ideally well-paying.

And I'm not looking down on trade jobs or anything like that.
They're perfectly fine careers. I just chose a different career.

Any proffesion where you’re repeatedly improving on intricate things, in an “assembly line”, one-after-the-other type of manner. A financial advisor imrpoves clients’ finances. A therapist improves clients’ outlooks and behaviors. A fitness instructor or a nutritionist helps clients improve their bodies. A management consultant improves on the efficiency and quality of organizations.

80% of your degree is largely worthless. Pick 2 or 3 specific skills in your major, master them, and them search for jobs that are looking for those skills

>Find out what you specifically like about blacksmithing
>Go to a community college and ask around for their career help meme (they would want more students going into relevant programs and community colleges aren't really biased or at least as biased)
>Talk to them about what kind of career you want
>????
>Profit

If I had a dollar for every time I’ve seen some incredible faggot on Jow Forums declare a degree worthless even though he is a reclusive NEET or high school student...

Sorry, i probably conveyed my meaning poorly. A degree isnt worthless, but you arent going to be using all the skills you learn, so specialize in 2-3 of those skills instead of trying to master the entire curriculum

Well that I definitely agree with and is pretty good advice.
Kinda knew it already and I'm severely annoyed its hindering my education, but thank you in any case because more people need to understand that.

Except well, not sure about mastering skills yet.
That comes later as far as I'm concerned and from all I understand so far.

damn, my bad, sorry.

Nah, its alright, should have said what i meant in the first place