Why arent battle ships fully automated...

Why arent battle ships fully automated? From the land troops could sit at stations that control the guns aboard the ship. The ship could be a lot smaller and cost less because there wouldnt be hallways and other human shit. Jets could be also controlled by gamers who know how to rise up. The telescope and radar could also be monitored from land. There is no reason for humans to be on the ships or submarines. Submarines are basicslly tubes with missiles. Those weapons and the sub can be controlled on land with virtual reality headsets, monitors and controllers.

Attached: download.jpg (274x184, 8K)

Have you even been on a boat before leaf?

Mechanical things break all the time and there is no known method of fixing broken things without humans for now. The cost of failure of these several billion dollar machines is too much to risk automation.

>From the land troops could sit at stations that control the guns aboard the ship.
Because radio transmissions can be jamed or even fail during poor weather take this shitpost to Jow Forums, lurk more.

Then put a crew of mechanics on board instead of 3000 people

I believe you meant WARSHIPS, not BATTLESHIPS. One is a general term for ships built for warfare, one is a class of ship not produced since the 1940s. Didn't read past that point.

Shit breaks when you are at sea, at port, anywhere. Even just trying to go up the river, you can suck up a sandbar and set your 100,000 ton carrier adrift.

Attached: ghettoprise redux.jpg (1548x2095, 575K)

Ill jam it in u m8

>Then put a crew of mechanics on board instead of 3000 people

There's 250 people on a cruiser, not 3000

this is the primary danger.

need high levels of redundancy, but that opens attack vectors.

Because signals can be tracked and jammed.

Why

A thread died because of this shit

Jow Forums once again demonstrates that it is militarily illiterate

So did your mom

imagine trump selecting his ships and sending them with a mouse interface

Attached: s337_CaW_5_5-22-07[1].jpg (800x600, 73K)

Wouldn't you prefer to jam it in my dog leaf?

>Why arent battle ships fully automated? From the land troops could sit at stations that control the guns aboard the ship.

because ECM could completely cut off communications and render your little battleship dead in the water.

That would cause a war though u cant just do that

If thats what u call ur mother yah

>That would cause a war though u cant just do that

I was more speaking about when you are in an engagement or war already...

ECM is par for the course in war, and a radio controlled ship is just begging to be completely disabled by ECM.

Then the tug boats will tug the ship away to safett and another battle ship will take its place

One poster mentioned the radio signal controlling the ship could be jammed. That’s one obvious reason. Electronic Warfare is pretty fucking advanced, and has been for a long time.

Shit breaks out at sea and has to be maintained. Everything from paint chipping on guardrails to a resister on a weapons system circuit board. Then you need support personnel to support critical job functions. Such as cooks, medical staff, supply clerks, etc.

Most ships run pretty lean. When I was in the Navy my primary responsibility was to repair, maintain, and operate weapon systems. My collateral duties included damage control petty officer for the division, Weapons Liason Officer during condition 3, work center supervisor, nuclear weapons guard, roving security patrol, and officer of the deck while in port. I was just an E-5. There aren’t extra people on the smaller vessels. Sleep during war time was hard to come by at times.

Furthermore, an EMP pulse would stop your robot boat dead in the water.

>Then the tug boats will tug the ship away to safett and another battle ship will take its place

tug boats will get blown out of the water in a war or active engagement, and the next battleship will be ECM'd as well.

your move.

Ha, you said dead in the water too.

A satalite from trumps space force will shoot whats shooting his tug boats and then new tug boats will come

Kek. I miss those battleships. Wish we still had them in service. One advantage they had is that they could go analog with their strikes. Ever work a fire control problem? Wicked trig and physics.

1) Large ships are VERY fucking expensive. There's absurd amounts of systems in them and a million things can go wrong which need skilled technicians to repair.
2) Battleships aren't really made anymore, they're a relic of the past unfortunately because they got (sort of) obsoleted.
3) Can be jammed easily, potentially even hijacked. What are you going to do when your battleship is hacked by a rogue terrorist group?

I think it's more likely that we'll have autonomous boats, but they'll likely be MUUUUCH smaller than a conventional battleship. Perhaps more towards the size of a PT-Boat. It's way too risky to have a multi-billion-dollar machine controlled by magical radio energy. MAYBE autonomous minisubs as well, I could see that especially since it'd be far easier to make a sub that doesn't have to accommodate a crew and they'd have space for weapons and other systems.

>A satalite from trumps space force will shoot whats shooting his tug boats and then new tug boats will come

then why use battleships at all? radio controlled or otherwise?

just shoot at shit with the sattelites, and leave the battleships out of the engagement altogether...

your move.

>crew of mechanics on board
I am HD mechanic (D11T, 793 trucks, etc), and I can say without any doubt in my mind that that is a absolutely horrible idea.
>Have deep knowledge of equipment
>"Lets give a bunch of mildly insane tradesmen that can bypass shit unlimited access to a fucking weapons platform to roam around the ocean"
>You think this is a good idea