What is this

So a friend gave me this thing last night.
We think it's a server but we aren't sure.
It looks like two desktop computers inside a box together like pic attached.

When I gave it power and booted it, the fans ran, it was doing stuff, but I couldn't get any output to a monitor to see any kind of screen to know what's happening.

So what is this? Computer server?
Just two old desktops stuck together for some reason?

Attached: wall-mount-network-switch-rack-enclosure.png (285x225, 19K)

Give it back jamal

It literally says on the file name it’s a network switch

looks like a rack server cabinet judging by the space, coolers and railings. Can be expensive. If you don't plan on keeping a server in the house get rid of it and sell it.

I believe you are correct. I don't want to get rid of it, I know there's SOMETHING I can do with it.

When I tried booting it I didn't get any output to a monitor. I read that server OS's don't have GUI, is that why there's no monitor output?

How can I reconfigure it? Just a server OS boot USB/DVD?

nevermind it says right there in the filename. Rack switch case. In a home you have no use for it. It's used to store rack switches in a corporate environment or for businesses that deal with heavy networking.

Sell it. Although I don't know who would buy it. Most companies purchase these in bulk and from manufacturers, not individuals and second hand.

Ok guys read the post,
what I have LOOKS like the picture, but it has what looks like two desktop computers inside of it together. Understand?

>I know there's SOMETHING I can do with it.
yeah, selling it and getting money off of it. Unless you're starting a business, you seriously will have no use for it. You can easily get at least $100 for it

If it's a functional server can't I use it for applications like VNC'ing into my home computer from my work computer?
And doesn't it also allow me the capability to do something with virtual machines?

I mean if it's a server you can't really be saying there's nothing I can do with it. Even starting a business is something

No. Take a picture and crop it out. A rack server casing and network switch casing are two different things. And by the sound of it, you have actual computer parts in it.

Blindly, I'd say disconnect all hard drives and connect a hard drive from a PC you know that works and boots up fine. Then you can check the specs.

Box, two cases inside, both with power sources and VGA outputs, both have DVD drives

Attached: IMG-20190114-105745997.jpg (3120x4160, 3.58M)

Inside of outer case, the motherboard does look a little different from the other desktops I've seen before

I haven't opened the inner case because the panel is blocked by the outer case

Attached: IMG-20190114-105833282.jpg (640x853, 148K)

what the fuck that's literally just two computers in a box. Servers don't look like that. Hell, not even bitcoin mining rigs don't look like that.

Now I sit here and wonder why would anyone do that. What use could it have? Are they connected in the middle in any way?

Lol that's funny if that's true.
But no they aren't connected now that you mention it.

Huh, so what the fuck is this

It is two computers, given how they are together it is possible they may have been running them as a beowulf cluster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't spot a hard drive anywhere in that outerbox, do you?

beowulf cluster? wtf lol

So it might be a beowulf cluster, ok

I'm still not sure how to boot into it.
I might try the hard drive swap idea.

>steal thing
>Lol what is this thing tho

Just ask your "friend"

Why don’t you ask your fucking friend what it is

That many serial ports and that many card slots is odd. And the frame looks extra strong like to protect it from getting knocked over. I will guess they are to control some specialty hardware in a warehouse or manufacturing plant, or maybe stage performance music / lighting equipment.

GO TO THE CORRECT FUCKING BOARD Jow Forums DOESNT KNOW SHIT ABOUT COMPUTERS

Dude, Jow Forums isn't a single person.

Interesting.

OP here, I just asked my friend that gave it to me and he said he got it from his dad who got it from his previous workplace. Some place called Advanced Automation. He said they were throwing it out or something.

I'm waiting on him to see if he can find out what it was used for.

Just fucking ask Jow Forums you insipid feckless wankstain