Your connection to WW II

Unless you are a Zoomer, you have talked to a family member who fought in WW II. What did they tell you about it? It is up to us to preserve their memories.

My Grandpa was in many major operations in the 82nd airborne, fought for Bastogne and during Market Garden, as well as the invasion of Sicily.

He gave my mom an SS helmet with a bullet hole through it signed by about 20 French girls as well. My fucking uncle stole it from her... He did give me a piece of the parachute he used in Holland though, which I still have.

What's your connection to the war?

Attached: 10735-004-34D8793B.jpg (500x389, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_children_by_Nazi_Germany
youtube.com/watch?v=3N2uAZ3deic
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

grandfather was in WWII and korea. he didn't like talking about it.

>he didn't like talking about it.
Yeah, as a kid I didn't realize the topic might be painful for my grandfather, so I asked him to talk about it more than he was comfortable with at first, but he seemed to eventually enjoy it as an outlet since I just listened and didn't judge.

Also, he was fucking shot in the Battle of the Bulge, and the US Government didn't give him his purple heart until 2001.

My grandpa and all my great uncles were in it in one way or another. My dad and his brother were in Vietnam. I have a heart arrhythmia and couldn't enlist so it ends with me. Feels bad.

Attached: 1542421853318.jpg (480x580, 22K)

My grandfather said only that he got a lot of respect for those krauts after they shot at him

>I have a heart arrhythmia and couldn't enlist so it ends with me. Feels bad.
I feel you. I have abnormally shaky hands and cant hold a gun steady if my life depended on it (it's called essential tremor). I actually wanted to enlist back in 2003 but couldn't.

Great uncle served in German military. Marched on Russia. Abandoned his uniform during the Russian advancement. 7 years in East German Gulag. Best family member I ever had. The rest are scum.

Grandpa is a 1/4th Jew, but his dad voted for Hitler. His grandpa was a door to door salesman Jew who knocked up a White woman. Yes, I'm aware that is the plot of Das Juden. It happened. Old dude likely went to Dachau in his old age.

Grandma has her adoption records classified by German military under the Nazis. No idea why.

grandmother said the german soldiers were nice and would give chocolate to the kids, and that the soviet soldiers were rude and unclean

she is basically a communist btw
have heard the same thing from other old people as well
should be noted we were allied to the germans, and switched to the communists when the war was basically over

my great grandfather (or smth like that) was a pub owner and part of the revolutionaries in his village, and helped overthrow the mayor

My dads grandfather was in a Japanese POW camp, my dad has passesd away now so all other knowlege as been lost to me, all I know is he survived and rarely spoke about it.

grandpa 1 shot down jap planes in the pacific

grandpa 2 was a medic in italy, always said that war brings out the worst in men and only ever told one story where his convoy in Naples didn't stop for a boy that ran in the street, and ran straight over the kid.

Both grandfathers and their brothers fought in wwii as marines and army. They all came home. One was d day (day 3) the other drove a tank in Europe.

Jesus. I hope he didnt kill cave people.
Okinawa. Man. That was a shitshow

My grandmother was a child during the german occupation. She said that she always had to turn the lights off in her house to avoid Allied bombings.

Fixed planes, got shot at during the Blitz

My great grandfather worked with the government under German occupation to advance the Flemish cause. He wasn't politically a nazi, just tried to make the best out of the situation. He was already a prominent Flemish nationalist before the war. After the war, my family was driven from their home and my great grandfather thrown in jail for a while. But not long after he was back as a Flemish activist. He ended up with some notoriety during the pro-Flemish movement in Leuven in may 1968.

The other part of my family is Swiss, though I barely ever knew them. Only visited there a handful of times back in my early childhood. I assume they were busy hoarding nazi gold or some shit. They were already rich as fuck and only became wealthier after the war.

At least my family didn't participate in the European brother war.

Grandpa 1. Fought against the russians (Austro-Hun). Machine gunner at Don during the pushback. Horrofied stories about killing 20-30s and the russians still ran on towards them mostly without weapons.
Then he marched back to Hun with the retreat without a stop (some brutal stories there) only to find out that the nation already surrendered and commies led it.
#180degrees
The commies sent back every single retreating soldier to the gulag.
Grandpa powers through it and comes home to find the family robbed of wealth and huddling in a city apartment.
Starts to build up a life again.

Grandpa2. Schwab (german descendant) , military cook. Does not see the front. Lack of language barrier makes him loved by germans. Russians come in. Shoot up his block. Half the family gets deported to Bavaria within weeks. He stays (wife). After the fall of commies oversees the re-immigration of his own family. Gets fucking annoyed every time jew deportation is mentioned but not "his".

My grandfathers were born in the 30s (all Canadian) so they didn't fight in the second world war. Half of their fathers were born in the mid 00s (all Canadian) so they didn't fight in the first world war. I believe the other half didn't see combat.

I did have a number of great (great) uncles that fought in either war, including one in the invasion of Normandy (Juno). At least two of them were shot and sent back overseas, and none of them died as far as I know.

My great aunt had a 15 year old German pow stay with the family on weekends. Apparently the pow camp in the UK let him out to stay with a family because he was a still a kid. He must have picked up some English because he managed to explain to my relatives how shitty the Jews were

but is your wife asian

A bunCh of my relatives fought but My gramps was a sergeant in the army air corp. was at iwo jima, never was in combat though. Just guarded the airfields. Died before i was born, never met him.

I'm Gen Y but all my family that were in the war were all dead by 1990, which sadly I meant none of them

My great grandpa was a soldier deployed near hong kong and was taken prisoner by the Japanese army while fighting with the Chinese. Was held prisoner for 4 years and was released home in 1945

I have an uncle who fought first in the Romanian army at Stalingrad and after the country changed sides he remained loyal to germans until Berlin

no I'm still single

R A R E

A

R

E

My grandfather served on the USS Colorado BB-45. I was the only grand kid who liked to ask him about it and he talked freely about it. He was a good man.

Attached: ColoradoinPac.jpg (2536x1093, 328K)

Great Grandpa started in Finland and ended up somewhere in Germany, was just one pic on the dresser no one ever talked about it

His nephew fought with the partisans in the marshes

Context: Am Chinese

Paternal Grandfather:
Was a student when war broke out in 1937. Evacuated on train and on foot for a 1500km distance from Fujian province to the war time capital. Completed university with the evacuated campus in Chongqing before enrolling in a military academy. Went on to serve as an anti-air company's OC and scored confirmed kills. Retreated to Taiwan with the KMT and served as the CO of an anti-air Battalion during the low-intensity skirmishes of the 1950s with the Communists. Retires a Major. That entire segment of the family continues to serve in the Taiwanese army.

Paternal Granduncle:
Worked at a foreign telecommunications company in Shanghai in 1937. Enlists when war breaks out and ultimately serves as a Battalion Signals Officer. Survives the war and flees to Hong Kong to avoid communist takeover. Due to an immense nationalism, he sneaks across the border to join the Communists in 1951 in order to fight for China in the Korean War. Receives the rank of Comrade Captain. During the cultural revolution, he is accused of being a spy due to his Nationalist background, and is forced to commit suicide by jumping 4 floors off his own home. That entire segment of the family remaining in Communist China subsequently manages to emigrate to Canada.

Maternal Grandfather:

Plantation owner in the British colony of Malaya. Gets his mansion ransacked and summarily executed by the Japanese. Only three of his children survive the war.

And here I am shitposting in the S1 Department.

Why would he do that

My grandpa’s name was Jody. He spent the war at home fucking all the wives and girlfriends of the men who went across the oceans to fight fascism. Settled down with a widow after the war, hubby #1 died on D-Day. Dad was child #2, but #1 son. Supposedly I might have a few half-relatives in a trio of states.

Danish grandma was a kid during the invasion and told me about hearing bombs and such at sunset

My great-grandmother was a Polish Jewish girl who got sent to England on a Kindertransport a few months. A few years later at the tender age of 15, she met her future husband and was pregnant within a month.

Great-grandfather was an antisocial racist hick from Atlanta, GA who literally joined the Army for WWII just because he wanted to kill people. He became the gunner on an AA half-track and spent the three months after D-Day shooting up German bunkers before his vehicle rolled over a mine and he was sent back to England and discharged with a leg so badly mutilated that he walked with a limp for the rest of his life.

Idk what my other grandparents did except that one killed Japs in the Pacific.

My grandfather was on a ship headed to Europe when the war with Germany ended. Left the Army in 47 without any combat experince. He had a brother KIA against the Japs and another who fought in Europe but I never got to meet him because he lived on the other side of the country by the time I was born.

I am very glad we dropped the nuke on the japs. If not my grandpa may have had to attack the mainland and possibly gotten killed

Both my grandpas served their countries, one from each side, i never met my canadian/brittish grandpa. He got shrapenel from a grenade in his hand throwing it back, and it had to be amputated. He was an officer and had a good group of guys. He lost a lot of them to horrendous street battles in italy.

My other grandpa was an hungarian officer. He went to a hungarian officer military academy, and not sure what his role was specifically. Doesnt like talking about it. He was captured as a prisoner of war, served as a prisoner to rebuild europe under the brittish for two years. By then the soviets were killing “enemies” in hungary, and he was told his family had already fled and that he should not go back. He went to austria so that he could eventually go to england, from there he moved to canada. He told me recently that he had tried to go back to hungary many times but his friends told him not to go. Everyone in customs/ border patrol had a list of names. If you were on the list, as my grandpa was for being an officer, you would embark on your journey and never be seen again. He ended up waiting until the 80s to go back to hungary. Took a train accross the country. He has never been back since for a visit like that. He has recently put a request to get his citizenship back. He is 95 and dying from cancer. I come back from school everyweekend to visit him. We are hoping that Hungary will give him some sort of recognition for his sacrifice or at least accept his citizenship and send a letter to him before he dies. But either way he knows I will carry on his legacy. He built a good life in canada, all off of hard and honest work. My dad grew up in a rented out basement. I grew up in a house with my beautiful parents and sisters. Can’t wait to make a good future for generations to come. I will never waste the opportunity I have been given.

Based and cuckpilled

>Grandma has her adoption records classified by German military under the Nazis. No idea why.

I think I know why.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_children_by_Nazi_Germany

Great great grandfather was Swabian, in the Bavarian Army in WWI.

He sent my great grandmother here at age 13 when the Nazis were elected because apparently Swabian Catholics didn't like them very much despite all of my family on that side continuing to hold volkisch views.

My great grandfather who married her was a Swabian born in Hungary whose parents brought their family here after WWI, he enlisted in the Navy as a Corpsman to fight the Japs so he wouldn't be drafted to fight other Germans, he was nearly court martialed for translating newspapers to German POWs in the States. He somehow smuggled a bunch of Japanese war booty home that my great grandmother gave me after he died, several Arisaka rifles with the imperial mum symbol intact, an officer's katana, and a Nambu pistol.

My grandfather, on my dad's side, never really talked about it, all he said was he was a Ranger. My grandfather on my mom's side died before I knew what WWII was, my Grandma on my mom's side was a nurse, so she didn't really have much to say.

My great uncle served on ORP Orzeł. He was a bosun. ORP Orzeł did some Call of Duty: Black Ops tier run away from Estonian harbor, after the Germans realised that captured ship is running away, they were too far to hit them with cannons. Then they joined some other operations. Dissapear of the ORP Orzeł is a great mistery of Polish Army. They never found the wreck, and my grand uncle was never found along with the rest part of the crue.

My grand grandfather served in wehrmacht. He was a German. We didn't know about that fact because great grandma never said a word about it. She was afraid to speak about it. So she took the mistery to the grave. We discovered the truth after looking at her documents that she left. My grandma knew her father was a german soldier but never said a word also.

My other great grandma liked to share stories about how the world looked like and her story when she was running away from the war front, but she never told stories about her family that much.

My another grandfather left his home and don't have very good relations with his family. I know he has some brothers, but I don't know their names and bearly managed to know what were the names of his parents.

Attached: ORP_Orzeł_w_Gdyni.jpg (3500x2436, 684K)

Grandparents were anti-Soviet partisans in the Baltics, all Geat-Grandparents de-kulaked/killed/sent to Siberian gulags for having 400 acre family farms.

Soviets return during Bagration, all either leave on horse or go from East Prussia to N. Germany.

One saw Allied warplanes strafing refugees near Dresden, another recalled a German family (small farmers) giving them shelter and food (when they were on bare rations), something that always made that particular grandparent cry.

No matter what history books say, they’ve all said that whenever the Wehrmacht was, there was no rape, unlike the Red Army.

Great Grandpa Johannes was a kipper and horticulturalist before fascists invaded Holland. Was also head of civil protection (40s neighbourhood watch) and did sneaky spy shit to fuck with Nazis.

Nazis are fucken dumb, whatever century. I carry his work to this day, thumbscrewing lil wannabe nazis and generally just fucking up their day.

Fight me

My great grandfather was a combat engineer who landed on Normandy on day 8. He was 18. He had nightmares for his entire adult life and only once did he talk about the war with my father. He saw dead women and children who were likely killed by American artillery.

And he saw starving and dead prisoners at kubinka.

He became sick when I was very young and died when I was in 1st grade so I never got to ask him directly and my dad and uncles only vaguely know some of what he did. I know he only fought the Japanese though. Don't think he ever went to Europe.

My grandpa had 7 kids and a poor farm. He volunteered for ww2. Was for first trained a sniper and i believe when they found out about 7 kids and a wife, they made him a medic. He had to kill some jap(s) or some such, but he didn't talk about it. But, his skill sets were passed down. Ive always been an uncanny good rifleman and my mom became a critical care nurse. He also worked in the mines of uravan, colorado, mining uranium. Actually had a piece of unrefined uranium ore in his cluttered desk drawer my entire childhood. I would take it out and look at it, encapsulated in resin, shrug and give it back. The gubberment eventually showed up at his house and stole it from him as well as digging up his house yard to remove all the uranium mine tailings that were used for backfill. He had hearing aids from gunfire and heavy equipment use and explosions and when my grandma would start whining and bitching, he would turn off his hearing aids and turn up the television. He died in his 90s.

Attached: IMG_20190214_173445.jpg (2592x1944, 1.44M)

My great grandfather fought on Okinawa and would have been in the initial wave of a mainland invasion had it happened. I probably would not exist had Japan not been nuked.

I didn’t have any family who fought in the war but I used to volunteer to hang out with Pacific War veterans when I was innamuhreens. They had some wild stories and were very forthcoming since I was a Marine too, Pacific War veterans did nothing wrong

Attached: D041DE88-7998-45BA-B087-631FC3B14DD4.jpg (400x293, 24K)

He hated the soviets and I think that he liked the Romanian fascism government at the time

grandfather was a medic in the wehrmacht. he served on the eastern front. many troops were frostbitten so badly that he was often ordered to OD them on morphine. His field hospital was captured by the soviets and forced to treat soviet troops. he ended up in an allies prison camp in france. he survived the war and made it home to his family. my dad was 8 years old when the war ended.

Attached: erwin.jpg (220x357, 21K)

LoL every American bullshit about their German ancestors, while no German posts, because most of them would be like:
My Great Grandfather fucked goats in Istanbul/Aleppo

Paternal grandfather was born in 1903. The first time he was called upon by the army was a private in the 20s. In the Soviet-Finnish war, he was again called in and he received an officer's rank - lieutenant. The third time he was called in 41 and he fought from December 1941 to April 1945. I remember two things from his stories: about the counteroffensive near Moscow, they fought with the Germans for some village, the Germans retreated at the end. Our lads began to collect the corpses - 7-8 our's on 1 German.
And the second case - the anti-aircraft gunners shot down a German plane, he did not crash but was able to make an emergency landing, the grandfather commanded the platoon who had captured the pilots. Plane was carrying a load of chocolate somewhere, and for a whole week after the capture, the whole company was eating trophy chocolate.

Fug me man... Russian tactics. Shit...

it's early in europe, friend.

why are you posting on Jow Forums at 9 am? give the germans some time to wake up

LoL what? Get up to work lazy bastards... (...) too early fuck my ass. I’m behind my machine since 7am

Grand grand father was in the SS

you're not working if you are on Jow Forums, are you? are you paid to browse Jow Forums?

my grandpa's dad sold the family's german war metals for scrap then hightailed it to america after the war.

My grandmother was a lesbian marine during Korea, does that count?

ok this is epic

thats because most white americans not near any coast line whatsoever is pretty much descent of german immigrants except for cities. for fucks sake, look at what the capitol of North Dakota is. who knew germans would go ballistic over the idea of practically free farming land

Attached: file.png (1296x834, 1.34M)

Grandmother was a child in Berlin but her father died in WW2 probably Eastern front. Grandfather was a cute little hitler youth lol

also my great uncle went insane in France and started assassinating random nazi officers because he was paranoid they would take him in (when he wasn't even jewish). apparently it got to the point that even the french resistance told him to fuck off and after the war he went off the rails because he was convinced that someone will come for him

my great grandfather was captured by russians in Stalingrad, he was a general back then, but he ate his badge and eventually escaped.

I have family who fought for the germans in WWI. After WWI the german side of my family came to america. I had family who fought in vietnam and korea. And maybe japan. But they didnt go like a retard and kill their cousins. Fuck your ancestors. They should have been gassed. Retarded yankee.

Both grandads worked in London during the war. One did engineering drawings, the other worked at Churchill's Toy Shop.

My great grandpa (he had sons quite young and so did his daughter) fought on the russian front. He was a paratrooper. He rarely talked about it. What I could get was that he somehow survived the shitshow and had to do the whole retreat by feet.

youtube.com/watch?v=3N2uAZ3deic

That map of white people is complete bullshit,95% of white Americans are British, that map is a lie!

Read the small print.

No, in time the maschine does its work I have to do something. It’s 1-5 min. Breaks. Walking away to other duties would be nonsense. So this is the main reason why I shitpost here during this time.

not every american is a nigger yet kurwa

Attached: 1538885127368.png (670x909, 714K)

you have no idea what you're talking about, the largest ancestral group in America is white German, not white Anglo

the distribution is spread differently throughout America: if you're a white guy from Nebraska you're more likely to have more German heritage than English, and if you're from the New England region you're more likely to have more English heritage

my grandpa on fathers side was in partisans since '41, he deserted twice(first time by accident). He also made friends with italians so he ate with them in military caffeteria. Other was child, his father got shot by SS

Based costcodog poster

God bless Costco

My great great uncle was killed in the battle of luzon (Philippines) in WW2. My great uncle was part of the “brown water navy” in nam and was seriously wounded during an ambush on his small boat (on which he was a gunner). He survived though, and sadly passed away of cancer about 5/6 years ago. Fucking agent orange. Rest easy uncle J

No familial connection, but I got pulled in after listening to With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa, written by Eugene Sledge.

>My Grandpa
My Grandpa was in the Marines on Guadalcanal
My Great Uncle M was in the Coast Guard and ran boats into shore carrying Army fucks
My Great Uncle J was an Army fuck and fought in Europe
My Great Uncle T was a Navy fuck who sailed around on a replenishment ship.

My Great Uncle R fought Nazis at Bastogne and was killed no shit froze his ass off and died on the last day killed by shrapnel from above.

My paternal grandfather was in the RAF. But he was a cook.
There was a story of him, where he was stationed in Libya and there was an opening for personnel to be trained to be part of a bomber crew. But what happened was that some personnel were killed during training.
He, as a result declined. The reason?
His daughter, my father's big sister had just been born.

I saw my Grandfather only once, when I was a baby. He died two years later, in 1994. He was born in 1917.

All 5 boys served and 3 out of 5 fought directly.
Both girls worked in war industry.

Grandpa was a radio operator on a B-24 in the pacific, stationed on Saipan. Don’t think he saw much action as I think they were used for recon mostly. There were still Japanese hidden on the island though even though the battle was over.

Attached: 5BAA6746-FAB9-4DAB-8409-3FDEC5ACE75C.jpg (3753x2996, 879K)

Well... that sucks cock

Rare.

Attached: 1537454152586.jpg (1167x2908, 635K)

Attached: flags.png (1669x2942, 1.82M)

>he deserted twice
and his father deserted in first war, I come from family of deserters

My dads uncle was born in Koningsberg/kalinnigrad, was drafted at the age of 17. Got wounded and ended up in belgium, got separated with his parents for 10 years, became a regional boxing champion. All in all a great man, shame i didnt get to know him better.

I’m on mobile is that Botswana?

Actually Super Rare.
I did collect a USMOI though so there's that.

I am telling you most white americans are majority British DNA, that German myth is bullshit & that map is based off self census data meaning; "I think I'm German..." so they tick German.

Just for you and your Grandpa, here is a picture of a B-24 that got shot by an Me 262.

Attached: B-24 shot down by Me 262 April 1945.jpg (736x522, 89K)

one was high ranking general in exile with our pesident and second was artillery commander(commanding some french fucks) (both ofc czech but they did have connections)

Mainly stories about hunger in the civil war. I guess you never forget true hunger. Also they wouln't talk that much about it.

you severely underestimate the degree to which historical German migrations have affected white American genetic makeup

go look up the numbers

Both my grandfathers fought in WW2 on opposite sides, neither liked talking about it.

Fortunately the japs didn’t have those. Or many planes at all by 1945.

What tactic dude? By the winter of 1941, the cadre army died within the encirclements. My grandfather's unit was filled with recruited workers and sailors transferred from the fleet. They was a brave men but with rifles alone, against a battered but cohesive unit with machine guns, mortars and artillery support. Here there the genius of tactics will achieve nothing without huge losses.

My grandfather was ethnic pole, so he was appointed as officer to 1st polish Infantry. He make it all the way to Berlin.
He died before I was born so I don't know a lot about him.
My grandmother was political officer and was overseeing polish units of Red Army.

pesident kek
president

Or much of a capital city.

did your grandparents met when your grandma "punished" your grandfather for being "bad" pole