How to be a good boss?

Attached: Boss.jpg (760x506, 43K)

Be Punctual and Neat
Be Funny
Be Understanding
Be Motivational

>Be Funny
OP here, i disagree in this one.

I think to manage employees and a company you need to be serious, you need to earn the respect of your workers, when you are funny and easygoing they will not take your orders seriously and wouldn't see you as what you are, the boss.

Be at least lvl 55

I'd agree.

It's important to have a sense of humor.

That doesn't mean you make jokes, it means you roll with them.

Competent, have good ideas, empathetic and be motivational

Fair, you are right

It really helps if you look intimidating but it's not a must.

>prioritize the team's objective, not your agenda
>tell people what needs to be done, not what to do
>lead by example
>give credit when it's due
>be stern when your leadership is questioned

etc etc

>etc etc
Pls continue,i will take note of everything you say

A leader leads but a true leader teaches future leaders.

Take a batch of new employees and find the one that looks to you like the biggest trouble maker. Grab a 44 and hit him with the old blindfold canoe trick. None of your staff will ever cause you problems. Luck.

I dont wanna be a leader, i wanna be a boss

Thats how mafia works

Arrive 10 - 15 minutes before your start time being ready to work, you should actually be working the minute that your shift starts, this also helps you find out who is (repeatedly) late and everyone's view of you will be you working rather than you fucking about and making coffee
Dress smart, ironed shirt etc, no room for being sloppy
Distance yourself from your colleagues, there's no personal relationships with your staff, you are the manager, friendly but not friends
Lead, take note of where the team fails, note how the strong work and see if you can encourage others to use the same techniques (I've worked in offices where I taught someone how to copy and paste after finding out she was manually typing everything and had been for 6 years), note where people, note who is weak and falls behind, try and help but if that doesn't work, keep it in your back pocket/performance manage them and get someone else
Record performance, are jobs being done on time? are jobs being done with time to spare? are there no tickets in your queue at the end of the day? point out where you kept this standard high compared to others, did you fix everyone's work ethic and they still work when you are gone? point that out, it all makes you look good

I'll give you an example from one IT company I worked for. The CEO was a great guy who everybody loved, while the CTO was an unlikeable asshole with no people skills.

The couple of times we had to do overtime, the CEO would put it like "can you help me please with this problem, this client needs the product done on Monday because etc. etc." Then he would stay in the office with the employees the whole time, buying food for them and helping however he could, at the end telling them how much it means to him that they helped etc. One time he was out of the country for a week and he left the CTO guy in charge. One of the teams had to do overtime for a project and the CTO appraoched everything like "come on, this needs to be done on Monday, how much do you still have before you finish?". He left home at around 3PM, while the guys stayed there until 1AM (every 2 hours sending messages with "is it done?"). Don't be that kinda boss. After that one week the athmosphere was really tense, everyone was pissed and we couldn't wait for the CEO to come back. Be involved every time there's a problem and make it seem like you are there with the team. Even if you cannot help with the actual work, just being there with your employees and buying them pizza can make wonders for morale.

I think a lot of the people in this thread have some great answers. One thing I would suggest is establishing a chain of command. Any regular dude shouldn't be coming up to you with an issue that someone lower than you can handle. If for some reason that person can't handle it, it goes up the chain until it reaches you.

Lemme tell you something buddy. You are right that you need to earn the respect of your workers, but you don't achieve that by having a rod up your ass. It's a balancing act where you walk the line between a guy who is easy going and a guy for whom people jump when he says toad.

Being likable on a personal level is very important to this. Everyone in their lives will come across a boss like who is an absolute prick and all it does is make people disinclined to do what you ask.

How many rude people are you willing to do favours for? Not many, I'd wager, and while being paid to work is a different story, there's a wide range of what constitutes "work" in most cases. A job that should only take an hour could take a whole day in the hands of an unhappy worker.

Being a boss does not mean holding the stick so much as it does holding the carrot.

Read Sun Tzu's Art of War.

>approachable so that people actually come to you with issues instead of wasting time trying to avoid it
>capable in the extreme and able to demonstrate/project this in such a way as other people feel confident in your ability even when you don't
>friendly but not friends so that I don't leave your office feeling like a scalded child

This can actually yield surprising results, and is something I learned from my supervisor when I was in the Navy. After bootcamp, a lot of people were wanting someone to hold their hand and guide them through every step. My chief had no time for that, he would tell you what needed to get done.
>well, I'm not quite sure what to do though
Bro, go figure it the fuck out. Just get it done though, cool?

A little story, I was told I had to get 40 gallons of this oil they needed to do maintenance. We were down in the plant, which is at the bottom of the ship. I was told to just go get it, they don't care how, and no further instructions. After about 15 minutes of feeling sorry for myself and not knowing what I was going to do, I started talking to all sorts of people. I ended up finding this warehouse right outside of the pier, and talked someone into using a forklift to bring a 55 gallon drum to the ship. I talked to another dude who craned it up on the flight deck. Then I convinced some guys in engineering to open up these hatches and have it craned down into the plant and seal them back up. A few hours later chief came down and saw this giant drum sitting there and was like "wtf, how? Whatever good job".

Anyway, it taught me to just tell people what needs to get done without micromanaging them. They can usually get it done. Plus it also teaches them they do not need me to hold their hands and they are quite capable of figuring things out themselves. Makes things run smoother.

This is very true.

tpbp

It's really not.

Give all of your employees warnings over minor infractions or contract violations

Make everyone feel like they're on notice

The nervous and anxious ones will quit, and the confident ones will either improve or correct their behavior out of fear

Real life workplaces are a lot like organized crime. There's even some risk of getting killed on the DL by senior colleagues and then having them cover it up as a "workplace accident".

At my former workplace a number of people were killed by management and the EMTs who carried them out on a stretcher were told they'd had a heart attack, OD'd on drugs, etc.

bump

Read how to win friends and influence people
then think and grow rich
then a book on work ethic

From there, you'll know on your own what to do next!

OP Here again, i will answer some of yur comments

Good traits i will try to improve myself, thanks

I wish i knew a way to intimidate people the same way a teacher does during a test.

I disagree again.

It's because i don't underestimate my workers, i don't see them like slaves i can exploit or anything like that, they are people just like me that earn my respect and they are really intelligent, with proyects, with ambitions with different goals.

What I want to conclude is that: You don't teach the competence.

Isn't that i don't trust them, it's just that i don't underestimate them. I was a worker too.

Perfect comment

I know you probably will disagree but to earn the respect and loyalty of your workers you need to be like a God to them. I ain't joking.

You need to be perceived as disciplined and serious, you need to be seem as cold and calculating, tough and smart. When they are problems you solve them, when the company or you make millions of dollars you don't bat an eye.

If you are perceived as funny and emotional they will lose the respect for your persona.

It takes years to build a reputation and seconds to lose it.

This is being a real professional.

A company it's like a family. If you aren't strict with the kids,they will be useless when they grow up

Got it

Got it

Attached: Boss.jpg (575x607, 34K)

the first 90 days
peopleware

and most importantly: delegate, never even think about micromanaging aka doing the work for the employee yourself

depends on the profession.

a good general is not a good businessman always.

This is such a good point. Give people a goal and let them make their own way there. Depending on the person you can leave them be and they'll come to you with questions or you might need to keep a little more on top of the details.

Work culture and ethics vary wildly all over the world. A good boss in Germany would make a horrible boss in Denmark and vice versa.

OP, that's no easy question you're asking. If you want true knowledge on the field look up Organizational Studies.

I’ve been a salaried manager at high volume big box retailers for some years. There is a lot you’re going to have to learn from experience, but one thing I can say that everyone struggles with right off the bat is consistent performance coachings. If you’re inconsistent because you want to let some small stuff slide and not be a jerk, you’re going to unintentionally look like an even huger jerk when you realize that you actually do have to put your foot down, and everyone knows that you didn’t do it for everyone.

Be as fair as possible. And most importantly, appear to be as fair as possible. That will go a lot farther with your team than befriending them or giving them good days off or approving their vacation requests.

The more people you’re in charge of, the less human they see you as. It’s somewhat surreal. And people are watching you so much more closely than you can ever imagine. That’s why it’s important to act like the inhuman pillar of stability at all times, and be a role model. People literally look up to you, whether you realize it or not.

Don’t ever let an employee have your back to the wall about anything. You must appear to be in control at all times, even if you feel like just a man on the inside. It’s honestly a lot like prison respect. If you lose once against them, you’ve already lost their respect, and will lose every time. Be one step ahead at all times. Be prepared to cite and show them actual policies, because people will absolutely challenge you every single day, and you must never lose.

Always build up your team and teach them new things. Don’t bring them down. It won’t improve their work performance to demoralize them. But if you appear soft, they will challenge your authority more, so you must absolutely use your performance coaching tools swifting. Don’t hesitate. Don’t lose. Be in control. Be fair.

It’s not an easy game. Some people are just going to hate your guts. Don’t take it personal.