Why is the US still stuck on 120v while the rest of the world moved on to 240v...

Why is the US still stuck on 120v while the rest of the world moved on to 240v? Where is the green new deal to upgrade our electricity?

Attached: 1539646663100.jpg (474x474, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gaWDH16SqVs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That panel in your pic is powered by 240v, dumbass.

Why is a higher voltage better?

Ones a fusebox the others an actual breaker box. One is to code the other isnt. 120v is ok but 240 can fuck you up breddy good.

we do have both

are you retarded? we have 240v

kys 50hz niggers

Attached: 1551762697961.jpg (773x1024, 90K)

bait thread, but in case it isn't you're a fucking retard OP.

t. electrical engineering tech

basically because the US was the first country in the world to be wired for electricity.

back then the insulation materials for wires etc wasn't at the standard that could accomodate more than around 120v.

In the decades after, electrical technology advanced rapidly and many countries that went to install electricity went straight to 240v because better insulation was available.

The US just stuck with 120v because it meant they would've had to roll out entire new grids i.e transformers etc , with updated insulation / materials to accommodate the higher voltage.

you have both in your house brainlet

look at the outlets in the right image, one is 120 and one is 240, point is we use both, you dont need 240 for anything exept large appliances like welders/dryers/hot tubs

higher voltage = less current = less heat created = thinner wires.

american 120v wire is solid copper wire. were as we've got multiple strands e.g 6mm

the wall outlet isn't

You don't even know how many v I got man.

We do need to go to 600volts in our manufacturing though. We use 480volt and the shit we get from Canada is so much more compact and effective in my opinion.

America uses less volts means we hurt the world less. Take note Europe.

US also has shit internet connections for the same reason.

you can have a 240 outlet, my shop heater and ac plug into one. we even have 3 phase

bro 240 kicks. I got one in my garage for the planer and the lathe. I undo the plug with a broom stick and a zip tie so I dont die

It would be more efficient to use 1,000 volts but the nice thing about 120v is you can survive a blast at home.

Ofcourse you have. The point isn't whether you can alter voltages and current rather why its 120V on standard when everyone else is using more efficient standard. This question was already answered by

Sometimes it just hurts to be the first pioneer.

its like they're not listening
EUROPOORS WE USE 240V
HOW THE FUCK COULD YOU RUN LARGE APPLIANCES ON 120V?

that answer is retarded tho.
You have less wire requirements for higher voltages because the current is lower.
So he has no idea what he is talking about.

you guys are thinking all wrong, everything should run on 12v DC

im an electrician dumb arse

240v is 2-120's hooked together in the US

Attached: 65675753445588866884.jpg (782x810, 146K)

No...dc can't travel far w/o heavy overpriced wiring.

no it couldn't such as anything requiring more than 10 amps or anything more than 5 amps 100ft from a jumper

We don't, we run heavy appliances on
240/220 -doubled up 120/110

how long did it take you to become an electrician user? serious question

12dc loses current over shorter distances

>not using 480
Nigger

That's why you should have a small coal plant on every block.

Imagine the amount of jobs that creates.

>We need to render all current electronics obsolete
>Or create an artificial market for potentially dangerous adapters of dubious quality that will be mandatory for all current electronics

Yes

>believing in electricity

Attached: 9BB64E99-0B4D-4A6D-84EE-F11A79EFD4A4.gif (280x258, 1.34M)

4 years

voltage doesnt give you the shock the current/amps does.

everything at work we use is 110v and they work just fine .
I honestly dont know why we have 240v when nearly everything in the home is low voltage excluding things like kettles , microwave ovens and electric ovens

you could finally stop boiling water in your 800watt microwaves you savages

Attached: hey-man-you-see-that-guy-over-there-he-microwaves-27999335.png (500x976, 140K)

incorrect. some city apartments are setup like that but our entire electrical grid is 600v with 240v residential service cables and stepdown in the panels to 120v for outlets

We run it on diswashers, electric dryers, waterheaters and stoves.
Also garage stuff like welding

ikr I can't believe they make their cuppa in a microwave , bloody savages.

I agree brother. Its Djinn in those cables.

Yeah, no shit dicklips.

Why are you arguing grid voltages?

I have one for my Tesla and another for my wife's BMW I3. Getting rid of the Tesla in June when I get my jag I-pace. Life's good.

Fuck off. We've got electric kettles here too. Fucking walmart carries them. Americans just don't buy them very often.

Pics or that was a class 7 loser post

cuppa in the microwave? those people are the devil incarnate!

These are some theoretical tiers:
TTL/Lithium voltages: 3.X V, perhaps a 5V low voltage rail similar to USB - this is the vast majority of consumer electrical equipment. Modems are an exception.
LV safety: This is around 40-50V and based on probability of electrocution. Vehicles are going to be 48V mild hybrid standard in the next few years.
Power efficency: for resistive and motor loads, this seriously could go high, to several KVs with modern plastic insulation plus adaptive switched power supplies etc. However 600V is the MOSFET breakdown point and a serious economic step, I suspect somewhere like 550V three-phase would be best. Which is close to 415V phase-phase tbqh.

So I would suggest: floating Li3.XV/Vehicle 48V LV/550V three phase supermotive. One node/plugset in the kitchen one in the utility incoming box for the supermotive. 48v is DIY unlicensed from the box, LVLi is DIY at the plugs level off the 48V or nodes.

electric cars meh

wrong again.
stop fucking baiting.

>2019
>Amerritards still boil water with fire.

Attached: 1528455335886.gif (517x469, 147K)

>Wire 240/120v all over your house
>So that you can plug in your 5vdc chargers, LED lamps, LED lights and laptops

Voltage drop is fucking negligible over standard house size runs, use dc

we DO use 240v... 120v is a split tap from the transformer.

Great Scott 1.21 gigawatts

Attached: Capture.jpg (413x582, 45K)

this. also DC is more efficient

They do have 240v but they only get to use 120v because they had to tip 120v to their electricity provider

>Why is the US still stuck on

we're still stuck on NOT metric system. wrap your head around that first. it's a nation of literal idiots.

i agree. our power infrastructure is shit and we are in desperate need of an upgrading.

Attached: 1480724057752.jpg (600x600, 100K)

At my house I run the output of my rotary phase converter (thanks Uncle Sam for selling me a brand new marine duty AC induction motor for $100) into a 240/480V 40 KvA transformer. The spindle on the Mazak machine runs off of an emery 480v vector drive. There was just no other way for me to do it on a 200A residential service...

/sci barely understands electricity.

I'm going to go get the popcorn...

Nice CNC at home.

daily reminder the average US household cannot even power a kettle

daily remider that 13 years after you destroyed IRAQ, they now have 240v as a standard

lmao even the iraqi's have better electricity infastructure

First of all 220v is the voltage in Europe and 240v is in england and higher voltage US outlets. Second, Japan, has a mere 100 volts with 50hz and 60hz depending on where in the country you are.

Im no electrician but i have 2 breakers that look like the one on the right. And another smaller one outside that controls my spa equipment and landscape lights.

I use 360v and I walk away

from this thread

The US has shit internet connection because our country is fucking massive. South Korea has some of the lowest latency in the world, only Scandinavian comes close. Guess why.

The speed of light is a limiting factor fuck nut

I use so much electricity that the coal company is on a first name basis with me, and I can assure you that my house can power the biggest fucking kettle that your kangaroo brain can imagine, thank you very much

Almost as bad as American plumbing.

When's the last time you've used a plunger? The last time was when I was 7 because my parents forced me to unclog the toilet because my stupid little brain put a whole roll of TP down it at once.

Toilets clogging has nothing to do with plumbing.
It has to do with what is going down the plumbing.

My toilet never clogs because I'm not eating the diet of a cow fortified with sugar.

I AM eating a diet exclusively of expensive cow and refined fat and my shits are enormous, to the point of terrifying moderately-sized adults. I can flush them all because of my high-capacity magazine toilet, that literally stated on the box when i bought it that you can successfully flush 37 golfballs at once, and just to see if they were kidding i tried it and it worked. It eats the shit so fast that I have to shit again just to make sure I catch the flush effect

You would realise this is nonsense if you lived in a country with proper toilet and plumbing design. You can eat whatever you want and do huge dumps in Australia and a trusty Caroma will demolish it.

because they have too much AC and not enough DC, look it up

Because the total load that matters. 1000W at 240V pulls just over 4 amp.

The same 1000W at 120V pull 8 amps. It's the current/amps that kill, not the voltage or wattage.

On the work site you will have exposed cables that are liable to be damaged, that's a different matter. We aren't talking about electrocution because of a failure in an electrical component like in the home, we are talking about a cut cable causing a grounding to earth through whoever cut the cable.

This

in case you thought I was kidding about the golf balls here watch american plumbing eat shit like you'd think only a german could
youtube.com/watch?v=gaWDH16SqVs

The diet OF a cow and a diet OF COW is not the same things. Kangaroo education.

I am an electrical engineer and you are wrong. Every hillbilly electrician thinks they're smart when they say this shit.

he's baiting and you just got baited.

No joke that's actually what Thomas Edison wanted.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

To expand on that. A 110v appliance would require a conductor double the size of 230v because of the increased current going through it. If your home was wired for 110v then you would need multiple ring circuits all wired in 4.0mm cable in place of just 2 or 3 ring circuits wired in 2.5mm @ 230v. It is more expensive and impractical.

That's why the electrical grid is running at thousands of volts, it is pulling a much smaller current and requires a much smaller cable.

Watts = Volts x Amps

On site tools aren't really 110v in the same way a home supply is. They dont carry a neutral conductor but a pair of 55v conductors. This reduces the risk of electrocution.

>37 golf balls at once right on the box

He's not joking BTW

Attached: jx4rubagbulz.jpg (2048x2048, 355K)

This is heavily reliant on the resistance of your medium. Not to mention there's additional complexity with AC I wont get into here.

Short answer: ohms law disagrees with you. Any wire of relatively constant resistance will have higher current running through it with increased voltage.

Not true. There are many factors that impact the lethality of an electrical shock, mainly the pathway it takes through the body. I suspect a 9v battery could kill you if the current were applied directly through your heart muscle.

Electricity doesn't quite work the way you suggested. If the voltage is too low, or the resistance is too high, the amperage drops to zero, that doesn't necessarily mean there is no voltage. The voltage needs to be sufficiently high, or the resistance sufficiently low enough to complete an electrical circuit. Amperage is more a measure of how much electricity flows through a circuit, a measure of electrical circuit efficiency if you will. So amperage IS voltage divided by resistance. The amperage isn't what kills you, a short burst of low amperage can kill you if it stops your heart, and a long drawn out shock can be survivable if the path of least resistance misses your vital organs...

>because the US was the first country in the world to be wired for electricity
Wrong. That would be England.

Well, you wouldn't be using rings. You'd be taking a shitload of spurs off the breakers.

He's attempting to work back from Wattage, which is power, or the actual work being done. The problem is that the Wattage will change depending on the resistance the electricity runs into while in the appliance, or your body. The Wattage is NOT constant between my microwave and me even in the same outlet.

that was 18 golf balls you lying nigger

Attached: 10953465254773.jpg (660x461, 40K)

who shits more than 18 golf balls?

Hair dryers and tea kettles.
In Japan appliances were noticeably weaker than in Europe.

I remember seeing Our Man Flint when I was a kid at my school's cinema club, and our physics teacher the following week explaining that the scene where Flint revives a dead man by forming a human chain connecting him to a light socket to restart his heart was only possible in America because 120V, and that over here at twice the voltage the same trick would have just killed everyone.

Attached: 1966 Our Man Flint.jpg (602x338, 52K)

To be fair it's only possible in one very specific Jew-operated area of America, outside of Hollywood you'll also just get a nasty shock.

Thats bullshit when you can't even flush toilet paper in places like europe

Because our landmass is fuckhuge and “upgrading infrastructure” costs money and isn’t a sexy political talking point.
It will probably take a string of large infrastructure crisis events that directly affect a shitload of people for the topic to reach political forefront.

north America is 50hz while Europe is 60 hz

need to be able to tell the difference

>canadians
Letting you connect to our grid was a mistake. It was a big, fat waste.

USA and Canada use 240V for residential loads already dumbass