Reusing and Recycling

So I've been thinking about recycling recently. You may not know, but all UK recycling gets shipped to Sweden for processing. In the US, it gets shipped to China where it subsequently ends up in a landfill anyway (and apparently China will no longer accept recycling anyway).

Surely all this shipping can not be good for the environment...

Another thing is plastics. They are notoriously hard to recycle. They release all sorts of nasty chemicals when broken down. Not to mention all the microplastics and whatnot.

One thing that stands out is plastic bottles. I must go through hundreds alone every year just myself. We should be reusing them instead of throwing them away.

One excellent and easy use is to grow plants. You can cut bottles in half and use them as planters. You can collect bottles and turn them into greenhouses. Then you could even grow your own veggies inside - even less plastic waste for packaging. Why isn't this being encouraged? You see people blabbing about climate change and rubbish on Twitter or whatever but no one actually doing anything. Just constant social signalling. If you have a garden I suggest you start collecting your bottles and make a greenhouse. It will be a fun side project and good parent/kid time if you have kids, if nothing else.

Attached: Repurposed_Plastic_Bottle_Greenhouses11.jpg (800x651, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iWGa7qyGO8M
youtube.com/watch?v=30j4YWQSphE
youtube.com/watch?v=hQeeJEpBYsg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pic related

Attached: fuct-steal-this-garment.jpg (1200x800, 63K)

I use mine for emergency drinking water storage, mini green houses for plants and planters.

I just burn all my waste. Seems easier desu

>In the US, it gets shipped to China
not true
and laughable

I will drink twice as much bottle drinks just to spite. I want a plastic ocean for my muttnostate

I’ve been considering this. There’s some really neat designs for high efficient stoves out there. I’ve seen guys who have built waste oil rocket stoves which have no smoke coming out the chimney.

Island* holy fuck

Was true. At least here in the west Waste Management was shipping it all to China. I guess that explained why they would not take glass in the cans.

They used to take most oz recycling. Banned it, now we dont know wtf to do with it

I know you're just shitposting but the majority of ocean plastic is actually discarded fishing equipment.

I once reused a plastic shampoo bottle when I was 11. I was showering and it ran out, and I got the idea to put my dick in it. I got hard and got stuck and my mom had to cut the bottle off.

Well it's not something I'd list on BluePeter

Why not? Seems like a perfect fit.

The Tories hate anything to do with sex

Lmao, lets just ignore the fact that shit will start cracking and falling appart

melt plastic bottles into a greased bread loaf pan
you've just made a brick that lasts longer than an actual brick and quite a bit stronger
use epoxy instead of cement and your house will stand for literally a thousand years

>In the US, it gets shipped to China
Bullshit. I have personally toured a facility where glass bottles are broken up melted down, and turned into fiberglass insulation. I watched each step.

Heineken once tried the idea of making bottles that double as bricks by making them vaguely rectangular.

Attached: heineken wobo bottle wall.jpg (500x750, 167K)

I think tire bales are fucking neat. They mostly get used in large public works projects though.

It's a shame they never continued it, some of the buildings made from Heineken bottles look really nice. Like this church.

Attached: wobo brick church.jpg (600x800, 114K)

What happens in a hail storm. I live in the midwest USA and every few years we get hail storms so intense they can split vynil siding on a house even though it is only impacting the siding at a very shallow angle. It obliterates roofs. I picture hail like that absolutely wrecking a bottle house.

Glass bottles can be used as insulation and dead space in cob/other alt housing. Floors too.

the key of recycling is house recycling

I think this is the laziest argument I've ever seen. Plastic bottles don't just crack in the sun. And the greenhouse is supposed to let in some rain to water the plants anyway. And really you only have yourself to blame if it falls apart.

Glass is surprisingly sturdy. Also, those structures were built in the Caribbeans, no hail there. Just hurricanes, which will fuck up any kind of buildings.

Well ideally you would want them to be multi generational so there shouldn't be too many.

It isn't being pushed because it looks fucking trashy. Plus even if everyone in the US started wearing 2 liter hats, shoes made of egg cartons, and shirts out of old plastic garbage bags, China and India don't give a fuck and will keep dumping shit in the water.

don't build them in areas of extreme freak weather idk

I repurpose my bottles into piss bottles

I really want log to make a comeback as a building material. A properly built log house will last for centuries and has great insulation and heat retention.

Attached: log house.jpg (1612x1006, 718K)

You know, you can do very interesting things with old piss.

>novelous form of littering
How about we stop using plastics for human consumption by legislating it as toxic to human and life. But maybe the real antihuman anti environmental problem is far more fundamental to our way of thinking. You are probably too much of a pussy bitch to tell people what they need to hear anyway

the problem is besides transporting the things, is that you need OLD wood for it to work properly in terms of insulation, durability, resistance to termites and water damage, etc.

100% of what you find at stores today is new wood. old wood takes DECADES to grow and mature properly, you can't rush it, no way to cheat it.

Attached: kxiAs41.jpg (4128x2322, 3M)

You rebuild at an extremely low cost out of more bottles. The beauty is that you arent paying a huge amount of money to begin with, leaving more for what would be considered maintenence.

Urine does have a lot of uses though most aren't really relevant in the modern world. You can safely piss away your urine.

Attached: Bear-Grylls-quotes-750x400.jpg (750x400, 44K)

I would never step one foot inside that enclosure. The off gassing from UV decomposition alone is probably enough is probably enough to give you cancer

Plastic is too essential for the modern world. You can't simply do without it. That's a fantasy. Plastic isn't going away. But we can attempt to reuse most of it.

yet they will make trans studies mandatory for 5 year olds

What this guy is doing is interesting, he is out there, but I like his work.
youtube.com/watch?v=iWGa7qyGO8M
Also, in northern ontario I know the guy that manages the local dump and he told me that once the bins are full they just empty them into the fill.

sounds like a good idea

You don't have to tell me that. Finland is full of forests and we have grown exceedingly proficient at utilizing them.

Attached: architect.jpg (800x400, 68K)

Have you ever been inside a granite building? Did you worry about the Radon gas? What about all the UV radiation outside? Or all those harmful bacteria crawling on every surface? A comet could land on your head at any moment.

Attached: 85369.png (655x816, 917K)

I built a simple waste oil burner based on the russia design, I use it in the garage.

This

cool shirt

Depends on the plastic, OP
Certain thermoplastics like PE and PP are shit-easy to recycle, while something like styrofoam is very difficult, and PVC next to impossible.
Water bottles are usually PE or PET, which are both reasonably recyclable

You are ignoring the water damage costs from having a serious roof leak in a torrential storm. It fucks up your walls, floors, furniture etc.

>not making your floor and furniture out of cheap and easy to replace bottles

Plastic bottles photodegrade very quickly in sunlight. That little shack will probably begin to crumble in less time than it took to gather the materials and build it.

This is a strawman. None of those are an actual anthropological or environmental concerns like the compounds in plastics. Plastics are also not the only problem. There are fertilizers, antibiotics, preservatives... these are the real problems.

So how is getting rid of the CO2 in our atmosphere going? That seems to be all the hype these days

A lot of these options also depend on where you live. A hut made of pop bottles in Canada is a death sentence, in some tropical environment with a clay or stucco layer it could be fine. If you live in an environment where the water lines can freeze you have to have more expensive options.

I will translate that for you. The corporations who use plastics to produce products for your consumption provide you with an efficient means to outcompete people who do not. You express this in the form of purchasing a cheaper product. Then you get fat and lazy and your health declines

sauce on the design?

anyone have any good solution to cardboard? city are cunts about picking it up and it's a constant burden

>the solution to the plastics question is to create more demand for plastics

Nice one DuPont

I basically did this, made a plate that fit the front of my fireplace and what this guy is doing. Watch at 2x speed if you don't spreckenzi ruski
youtube.com/watch?v=30j4YWQSphE
Look up this word oтpaбoткe it's what they call these waste oil burners, some guy even did a university paper on the math, but I couldn't read it.

I once found a product sold at Walmart called “jalapeño poppers” that when heated in the oven, combined sodium benzoate, reduced iron, and vitamin C to produce Benzene. It was so strong you could smell it. These companies have no desire to be concerned about the environment or human health. This is the real issue. But hey, let’s make houses out of tires, plastic bottles, and garbage. The propaganda and misinformation is remarkably pervasive

There are ones that drip feed but I don't mind spending the 20 seconds every half hour to top it up, It's a safety thing for me.

Lol I work at a battery store in a liberal ass town. Alkaline batteries are completely safe to throw away, since they're just zinc, but we still offer a "recycling" service. It costs 5 bucks a pound, and I have to go through and bag all of them so they don't short. Once we do that then they go on a diesel burning train to go sit in a special landfill in Arizona because recycle means reuse them, and nobody fucking wants used batteries. I say all of this to people and so many fucking regards still say "well I still feel like I should do it anyway" WHAT THE FUCK?! you FEEL like it? So yeah, if they pay the five bucks, I take their money (pocket it if it's cash) and throw the batteries away anyway. Feels great.

The plastic leaches chemicals though, enjoy your cancer bricks.

I melted some plastic bottles and made a new trigger for my weed-wacker, cause the factor one was a pos and broke off, the new one is still going strong 15 years later.

clearly not because it got stuck.

Just like my dump, they have the recycle bins and when they get full they empty them in the fill with all the other garbage. It's a feel good larp in it's current state, a lot of this stuff can be reused without having to process it. You can make pop bottle rope that shrink wraps.
youtube.com/watch?v=hQeeJEpBYsg