Turns out the suicide rate among the students of top universities is rather high

Turns out the suicide rate among the students of top universities is rather high.

What's the cause? Shouldn't graduating a top university pretty much guarantee you a good future?

Attached: sta.png (642x1315, 572K)

High tier undergrad degrees are a meme and do not help much, if at all, with graduate school admissions.
They are only of value to neurotic types who think getting into them is a matter of life and death, and their performance in them is a matter of life and death, literally. It's no surprise the suicide rate is higher, this is to be expected. The only people they really benefit is elite people who already have existing connections.

>Shouldn't graduating a top university pretty much guarantee you a good future?
Certainly not at the undergraduate level.

Probably all that rape

MORE ON
>SUICIDE
I wonder what targeted advertising that leads to.

same pattern here. i think i know the reason

well, before you get into a good university, you're in high school. in high school, the vast majority of the students are average as fuck. if you manage to make it into a top university, you're likely one of the best (in that school).

this causes a elevated perception of your actual abilities. you might be good but you are not THAT good. there will be people better than you, always.

case in point, one of the boys in my locality made it into an IIT, ranked 452 out of 2,24,000 students who took the exam. the whole locality was fucking neurotic, firecrackers, sweets etc. etc. he was treated like a genius by everybody.

3 years on, he gets depressed, is scoring average and his parents get called to the uni about his unsatisfactory grades. high school science is hard but engineering is even harder, add to the fact that once you have made it into a good institute, *everyone* around you is of your caliber or better unlike back in school.

this brings in lots of competition, even if you don't let it affect you, it will. it hurts to see someone get a almost perfect 9.8 GPA while you're cruising below 7. and that happens a LOT in good universities.

pretty much everyone that makes into a good uni generally happens to be the one of the best students from their school etc., but when they get into university they have to compete with the best students from across the country/world. unlike what happened in school, they are no longer the centre of attention, the "genius", they're regarded only as an average student within the university.

and for some people this can really hurt. eventually, it leads to demotivation, and then depression, and eventually suicide.

It depends on your idea of a good future. If you're in one of those schools you're probably not dumb, and as you grow older you get a clearer picture of the world. Some people become extremely disillusioned at that time and coupled with the stress of school and perhaps life, they might feel like ending it all.

The US government also kills intelligent people sometimes, I've heard of many cases of scientists and what not being "suicided". Maybe students fall victim to that as well.

If you miss the boat after uni it's actually harder.

You're a pussy lmao. If you can handle engineering or CS, then you have the fortitude to handle everything.

The amount of gaslighting that goes on at universities is also to blame. To my knowledge, it's a very global phenomenon, too. Consider the following:
1) A very intelligent person is likely to hold the truth in high esteem (if they aren't psychopathic, that is)
2) The modern environment of academia requires 'loyalty' statements which contradict the truth. I.E. 'Trans is natural' 'exposing children to sexualized environments is fine' 'the races are equal but at the same time you're racist for wanting equal treatment of people'
3) One's intelligence is constantly being challenged and tested; for many intelligent people they've been praised and encouraged almost solely on the basis of that one trait
4) Top and high tier schools require social sacrifice to get in to
5) Intelligence has a high co-morbidity with depression and anxiety anyway.

When you combine all of that shit you get a situation where socially isolated or less-capable (on average) peoples' core identity is under threat from multiple sides with effectively no fallback option (because all they've ever been told is how smart they are, etc.) and after being told that the way to escape bullying was to make it to college with the other 'nerds' are now finding a similarly adverse social environment.
t. PhD student

Genius top tier grad studentfag here,

What kills people like me is nothing.

Quite literally nothing.

There's no one to hold your hand or give you answers. No one to guide you or tell you what you're doing will matter. No one to be legitimately proud of your achievements because your family can only fathom the "PhD" you'll have the right to use; your peers hope you fail as you are competition to them. Your professors? LOL. You're the dried-up flavorless zest of the once supple orange of creativity, long since bereft of juice and vitamins from years of seminars, lectures, symposiums, etc.

In short, you are the absolute authority in that which you choose for your thesis. It's rather empty.

Professor spoke about a friend of mine and called his paper "garbage". Friend was in earshot. Killed himself the following semester.

Did I say friend? I meant "potential tenure-track competitor" since he was in my department.

>What's the cause?
Mental illness.

Lol, sounds dire indeed. Can't you at least become a HS teacher or something like that?

How does it correlate in regards to affirmative action placements on the increase

All you need is a masters degree to teach in a college

Really? Not a PhD?

Sounds like he was just one of those slightly above average kids who studied a lot but wasn't all that bright. I knew a lot of those kids growing up, they're the type who take undergrad school way too seriously. The only people who get nervous about competition (with people from your institution) in grad school instead of focusing on their own research are the dumb ones.

This is actually true. It is far better to be a big fish in a little pond so to speak.

These “big fish” go on to have far more success in life than the little fish at elite institutions.

Its one of the flaws with affirmative action as well. Shoving dumb people with smart people doesnt help them. In fact it has the opposite effect

Interesting post. I attend an honors college within a large university here. I had an IQ of 159 in 8th grade as judged by an official international test, but I'm not sure what my score would be now.

I'm currently entering into a masters' program. I have mild autism, suicidal depression and crippling anxiety. I hate academia, but I'm too much of a coward to get out. I'm running out of antidepressants to use; my psychiatrists have me on four simultaneous prescriptions so far, and I also take some hormones to scrape by.

I can understand why people shoot up their schools. The gaslighting pervades every aspect of the academy, and I find the stress unbearable.
I can understand the allure of alcohol and party drugs. The best and brightest go through this tunnel, so we now have an indoctrinated with no foreseeable end.

There's no Generation Zyklon. Fucking kill me.

indoctrinated generation

>Friend committed seppuku
Holy shit. At least you have less competition so that you can join all of your narcissistic professors in their ivory towers. Day of the rope for academics.

Bullying barely exists any more. Why bully when you can go smoke weed and go looping in your trucks?

If you're the type who would commit suicide over something a professor says, then you really should commit suicide.

I've met more than a few geniuses before and all of them were troubled people. I genuinely feel bad for people who bare the weight of intelligence.

F

And you can't blue pill your way into stupidity either. I tried it; dropped outta uni, got an honest blue collar job in a warehouse, larped as a typical bogan as hard as I could. But all I ever get is "WTF? you're too smart for this shit. GTFO!" Yeah, secretly I still study in my free time. But I fucking HATE uni students.
I hate my life.

>ried it; dropped outta uni, got an honest blue collar job in a warehouse, larped as a typical bogan as hard as I could. But all I ever get is "WTF? you're too smart for this shit. GTFO!" Yeah, secretly I still study in my free time. But I fucking HATE uni students.
>I hate my life.
You could go part-time at a small college. That way you can work and just put that studying you do toward something beneficial to you in the long-term.

this guy gets it

University education is worthless in the modern world.

if you knew what they taught in the humanities, youd kys too.

If your IQ was 159 in 8th grade, it would be 159 now. IQ does not increase as you get older. If you had REALLY scored a 159, you would know this.

Wrong. IQ peaks in your early 20s, and certain substances can temporarily and permanently raise your IQ. If you're depressed for an extended period of time and have high circulating cortisol levels, such as depression between the ages of 20 and 30, then your IQ will similarly decline at a greater rate over that period compared to controls. If you take a substance that suppresses your cortisol leves and alleviate your depression, then your fluid intelligence will increase, and your brain will not atrophy.

When you're older, such as in your 40s, you face similar declines that continue into old age.

Attached: main-qimg-ef9c9134f1c8adf9f2c7bfa26a6440dd.png (1296x912, 504K)